HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Skyscraper & Urban Art

Old Posted Feb 20, 2008, 7:09 AM
Look at me!

Sim City 4 -- Worth buying?

Hello all, I haven't played sim city in 3 years now (it was sim city 3000) and now I'm bored so I was thinking of purchasing sim city 4, but its expensive and I heard there's all these problems with the game. So is it worth buying at the end of the day or is it just a hassle or should I wait until the next sim city?

Last edited by Rico Rommheim; Feb 20, 2008 at 7:35 AM.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2008, 7:28 AM
Desert Dweller

I love Sim City 4.

The Goods:
- Its an amazing game! If you like Cities, you'll love this game. Zooming in, seeing the sims and cars move about, building new neighborhoods, watching what skyscraper will grow here and there.
- Impressive Graphics, very very good music. The music blends well with the game, good sound, very realalistic graphics.
- A HUGE fanbase, so much custom items like buildings/parks found on websites like Simtropolis. Plus easy to get feedback if your having issues with the game.
- 9/10

The Bads
- I ALWAYS CHEAT, so its hard I heard if you dont cheat (my two cheats, super demand cheat: makes cities grow faster skyscrapers sooner, super money park: gives you like 4 billion dollars at startup) I could never survive playing the REAL game, then you have to deal with the whole Mayor Experience (taxes, funds, strikes, money) I'd rather get a huge load of money, and construct huge realalistic cities, mostly just to look at (sounds boring, but its fun).
- Sucks alotta time out of your life (like all games do, good thing i'm not into video games)
- LOTS of determination, it takes time to make amazing cities!
- You need a hella fast computer, Sim City will take up a huge amount of space, and it needs a fast computer for all those graphics.

I dont play it anymore, no time, plus I lost the serial code number Oh and remember to buy the Rush Hour Expansion pack if you do buy Sim City 4, you'll defanantly need it.

Remember, I cheated, but its an amazing game, in these pics, there is a lot of custom content from trees to buildings, but its real easy to download these items (Simtropolis Exchange).

Old Posted Feb 20, 2008, 5:42 PM

Simcity 4 is no more difficult than the previous games in the series. It requires a lot of patience, but I'm one of the most impatient people out there and I still though it was OK. I never have to cheat, and I think I wrote a guide on planning profitable cities way back - yes, building a good city requires planning! Who would have thought?

Simcity 4 is not expensive anymore either. The Deluxe Edition is now what - 20 or 30 dollars Canadian? I don't see any reason not to get it if you are a fan of the series, unless you have an even crappier computer than I do. It is best to have at least a 2 GHz processor and 512 MB RAM (my computer processor is only 1.4 GHz). Video card doesn't really matter that much.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2008, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doady View Post
Simcity 4 is no more difficult than the previous games in the series. It requires a lot of patience, but I'm one of the most impatient people out there and I still though it was OK. I never have to cheat, and I think I wrote a guide on planning profitable cities way back - yes, building a good city requires planning! Who would have thought?
Simcity is one of the only two games I played (the other one is CIV2). If you are a skyscraper fan, you need to buy and play.

There are so many ways to build a city...

These are reasonable (even pretty) downtown areas:

This one is completely crazy:

Old Posted Feb 21, 2008, 2:54 AM
Look at me!

Thanks for the responses. Although I have to admit I've played the game before. I had a bootleg copy on my Mac but the screen kept on going dark (The game kept on playing fine except my view was obstructed by a bizarre blackness that made playing very frsutrating. Also the game lagged alot and at times completly jammed my computer. And I don't have a pansy-ass computer.

-So does sim city 4 just operate badly on macs?
-Does it jam the computer often?
-Is it slow and lagging even in good computers?
-Does the purchase price increase when buying the mac version?

This is the computer I have:

http://www.synthtopia.com/news/05_05...le_iMac_g5.jpg

Old Posted Feb 21, 2008, 4:31 AM

Considering it's one of the best games I've ever played, (and payed... for. which is rare for me, and it was the BEST 40 bucks I've ever spent), and it's only fetching 20 bucks now, I really don't understand why you'd even have to ask. Just buy the thing. If it doesn't work right you're only out 20 bucks.

He has a Flickr!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/40336730@N08/

Old Posted Feb 21, 2008, 5:07 AM
Look at me!

I think I'll purchase it over the inter-web. What's a good reliable site for web purchases? Or should I buy in person? Will it be cheaper?

Old Posted Feb 21, 2008, 5:43 PM

I don't have time to play it anymore, but SC4 is good. With the mods and addons from simtropolis.com it's great. Make sure you get the deluxe "rush hour" edition and go to simtropolis for mods and addons.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2008, 10:15 PM

I have a Macbook Pro and use the SC4 for Mac. It's more expensive, still around 50 bucks, and yes it does have some graphics problems compared to the Windows version, which I played for a year or so. For instance, certain animated elements will flicker and the buildings that are abandoned do not show their abandonment visually like they do in Windows. But I still definitely think it's worth it. Amazingly addictive game that won't disappoint especially if you're already an SC fan.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2008, 1:38 AM
Making hell of a noise...

Well maybe it was released more than 3 years ago, but hell it sure is still better off than the pathetic Simcity Societies. Shesh, what the hell is that game? Buy SC4 if you can.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2008, 2:03 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

sc4 for mac lol check out simtropolis for help

anyhow heres my city

Old Posted Feb 22, 2008, 2:47 AM

^^^ :S that not your city, i've seen that city posted all over the sim city 4 website and simtropolis

Old Posted Feb 22, 2008, 4:34 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by borgo100 View Post
^^^ :S that not your city, i've seen that city posted all over the sim city 4 website and simtropolis
aw yes it is my city 7.5 million sims now....
http://www.simtropolis.com/forum/mes...y&keyword1=tdk

Old Posted Feb 22, 2008, 5:57 AM
I am a typical

Lol, your city might scare people from buying it!

Old Posted Feb 22, 2008, 6:14 AM
Urban Advocate

I have a barely-used copy of Sim City 4 with the Bonus Pack for Mac that I got 1.5 years ago and played maybe twice. If you want to buy, let me know. We could work out a deal.
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted Feb 22, 2008, 6:54 AM
I'm cheap

I have it for my eMac. It works fine on it, but it does get a little slow once the cities get bigger... but then again, this computer is almost 3 years old now. I had it on my MacBook but it didn't really run that well.

It's worth it though. I play it all the time. I love it so much!

Old Posted Feb 22, 2008, 8:48 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Also i know the lead sc4 mac head at Simtropolis. If you need help i can put yea in touch with him

Old Posted Feb 22, 2008, 11:24 AM

I bought the game because I have the previous editions. I installed it on a new computer, 512MB, 120GH, it wasnt enough, I had to add memory, which helped for awhile, but the game started blinking and cutting out, until the point that it wouldnt retain anymore graphics, so my patience has worn out. I uninstalled it weeks ago. It is very time consuming, but very interesting. Graphics are awesome, looks very real. What I thought might be a good idea is installing the game on an older model computer that you dont use for internet and other usage. This game will affect the performance of your computer programs.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2008, 12:34 PM
Super Moderator / Sr. Committee

I run / ran it on my current P3 933MHz, 384MB RAM computer. I runs ok, definately not at full graphics and all but hey.. it's a 7 year old machine!

Rico, what took you so long?! The game dates back to 2002!

Flickr®

Old Posted Feb 22, 2008, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
aw yes it is my city 7.5 million sims now....
http://www.simtropolis.com/forum/mes...y&keyword1=tdk
shit, your my hero!... my cities only like 1.5 million

Last edited by borgo100; Feb 22, 2008 at 10:12 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Skyscraper & Urban Art