HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 5, 2012, 6:05 AM
Flood City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy1983 View Post
I agree that a mixed use development would work very well. Regarding hotel development (if they do put one there) it needs to be larger than that dinky little cookie-cutter-type thing they built right next to it. It's an urban core setting, not some far out suburb! There needs to be something at least in the 18-25-plus-story range (or 300-500-room ballpark) in my opinion. It's close to a multi-purpose, year-round facility pretty much, and I think it will demand such a use later if it doesn't already... That's just my 2cents...
Being in the hotel industry, I agree wholeheartedly with this idea. That parcel allows for a large scale hotel that could even attract conventions/events to Consol rather than the convention center. Downtown-Oakland corridor could use a BIG hotel. When I heard about the hotel being built along with Consol (Cambria Suites) I was very surprised that it wasn't bigger. WAY bigger. - Think along the size of Washington Plaza up the street. Cambria is a disappointment with regards to what's best use for the space. With the Marriott City Center next door, those involved with the redevelopment would be foolish not to try to get a large hotel to rival (and even outdo) the Marriott in size and amenities.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2012, 8:22 AM

$100M redevelopment outlined for former Iron City brewery

$100MM = a significant development. 150 apartments, and yet another hotel (100 rooms). Development in that section of Lawrenceville will really go a long way towards tying in L-ville with the strip and ultimately downtown helping to form one contiguous strip of high density and urbanity. The Buncher deal will help build the "bridge" from the other end of the strip.

http://triblive.com/news/allegheny/3...#axzz2E1fd5Loe

"Collier Development, owned by brothers Jack and Jim Cargoni, wants residential, office and retail space. It would restore the brewery buildings lining Liberty Avenue, including the 1886 Iron City office as a brewery museum; the oldest building, the 1884 Brew House; an 1896 keg storage facility; and several storage buildings.

Collier Development plans to demolish at least six buildings to make room for the hotel, residential and office buildings, and an 800-space garage, Frew said. Three other buildings potentially could be razed, depending on structural integrity, Frew said."

Read more: http://triblive.com/news/allegheny/3...#ixzz2EABbGJ1L
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

Old Posted Dec 5, 2012, 10:13 AM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wave View Post
$100MM = a significant development. 150 apartments, and yet another hotel (100 rooms). Development in that section of Lawrenceville will really go a long way towards tying in L-ville with the strip and ultimately downtown helping to form one contiguous strip of high density and urbanity. The Buncher deal will help build the "bridge" from the other end of the strip.

"Collier Development, owned by brothers Jack and Jim Cargoni, wants residential, office and retail space. It would restore the brewery buildings lining Liberty Avenue, including the 1886 Iron City office as a brewery museum; the oldest building, the 1884 Brew House; an 1896 keg storage facility; and several storage buildings.

Collier Development plans to demolish at least six buildings to make room for the hotel, residential and office buildings, and an 800-space garage, Frew said. Three other buildings potentially could be razed, depending on structural integrity, Frew said."

Interesting news. Thanks for posting this!

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Dec 5, 2012, 10:37 AM

I believe the Penguins have two years from last July to start developing the Civic Arena site, 11 years in total to develop the whole thing. Last I knew they were working with city planners to come up with an official master plan, and simultaneously Jones Lang LaSalle was working to find developers and tenants.

I do hope those involved understand the market has been moving and the potential is here to make very intense use of this land, particularly in the parts closest to Downtown.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2012, 8:28 PM

Former Mayor Murphy speaks out against the Buncher Strip District plan:

"This is a good beginning, but it does not get to where Pittsburgh should be in terms of development. The quality of this development ought to be raised up, and I think council has an opportunity to do that."

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...project-664985

Old Posted Dec 5, 2012, 8:49 PM
Eurosceptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaguffin View Post

"This is a good beginning, but it does not get to where Pittsburgh should be in terms of development. The quality of this development ought to be raised up, and I think council has an opportunity to do that."

and a typically pathetic sycophantic rebuttal by Ravenstahl/Buncher toady Yarone Zober...

Old Posted Dec 5, 2012, 10:27 PM

Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz Pittsburgh View Post
Being in the hotel industry, I agree wholeheartedly with this idea. That parcel allows for a large scale hotel that could even attract conventions/events to Consol rather than the convention center. Downtown-Oakland corridor could use a BIG hotel. When I heard about the hotel being built along with Consol (Cambria Suites) I was very surprised that it wasn't bigger. WAY bigger. - Think along the size of Washington Plaza up the street. Cambria is a disappointment with regards to what's best use for the space. With the Marriott City Center next door, those involved with the redevelopment would be foolish not to try to get a large hotel to rival (and even outdo) the Marriott in size and amenities.
Thank you! I wonder who would be interested to build a massive hotel as such. You have Marriott next door pretty much. Wyndham already has a Wyndham Grand at the Point, which currently, with 712 rooms and suites, is the city's largest hotel. I think Omni and Hyatt were among the latest to state interest in the long awaited Convention Center Hotel. Who else maintains chains of large-scale hotels, Embassy Suites? Raddison?

Old Posted Dec 5, 2012, 10:56 PM
Hell with the Lid Off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaguffin View Post

Murphy was never my favorite. But He hit the nail on the head when it comes to the Buncher plan. I couldn't have said it better myself!

Old Posted Dec 5, 2012, 11:35 PM
Flood City

Quote:
Thank you! I wonder who would be interested to build a massive hotel as such. You have Marriott next door pretty much. Wyndham already has a Wyndham Grand at the Point, which currently, with 712 rooms and suites, is the city's largest hotel. I think Omni and Hyatt were among the latest to state interest in the long awaited Convention Center Hotel. Who else maintains chains of large-scale hotels, Embassy Suites? Raddison?
I'd guess Hilton would be interested. I wouldn't see Marriott or Wyndham making a play unless it was a limited service brand of theirs (Hawthorne Suites/Springhill Suites) or they go upscale (Wyndham/Ritz Carlton) or any other of the luxury hotel brands. I could see Hyatt expanding their full service operations in the city, considering the Hyatt House hotels that are going up at SSW and at the former Don Allen dealership. Sheraton and Crowne Plaza could build big. I feel like Embassy Suites would be a nice choice for the city and that area.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2012, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wave View Post

An 800 car garage?? Really? What is that for? In Lawrenceville? Why?? Why is Pittsburgh being overrun with those awful garages? Why bother preserving the historic buildings if a monster garage is looming in background? How do 800 cars compliment history?

Old Posted Dec 6, 2012, 1:44 AM

Quote:
Murphy was never my favorite. But He hit the nail on the head when it comes to the Buncher plan. I couldn't have said it better myself!
Murphy did have some misguided ideas, but they were based on really being serious about the city and having some vision, albeit flawed.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2012, 2:19 AM

Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz Pittsburgh View Post
I'd guess Hilton would be interested. I wouldn't see Marriott or Wyndham making a play unless it was a limited service brand of theirs (Hawthorne Suites/Springhill Suites) or they go upscale (Wyndham/Ritz Carlton) or any other of the luxury hotel brands. I could see Hyatt expanding their full service operations in the city, considering the Hyatt House hotels that are going up at SSW and at the former Don Allen dealership. Sheraton and Crowne Plaza could build big. I feel like Embassy Suites would be a nice choice for the city and that area.
I would love to see another luxury brand in downtown to offer competition with Fairmont -- not that I have a problem with Fairmont! I don't! I'm thrilled they're in the Burgh! I could see Sheraton or Crowne Plaza. The only location Sheraton has that's close to Downtown is in Station Square, while Crowne Plaza I believe is out the Parkway if I'm not mistaken. I could see either one of those building a large hotel adjacent to Consol Center -- to add to my thinking of Embassy...

Old Posted Dec 6, 2012, 5:42 AM

Quote:
I would love to see another luxury brand in downtown to offer competition with Fairmont -- not that I have a problem with Fairmont! I don't! I'm thrilled they're in the Burgh! I could see Sheraton or Crowne Plaza. The only location Sheraton has that's close to Downtown is in Station Square, while Crowne Plaza I believe is out the Parkway if I'm not mistaken. I could see either one of those building a large hotel adjacent to Consol Center -- to add to my thinking of Embassy...
I like the idea of a luxury large-scale hotel going into the downtown area, but I do not see why they cannot have a large scale hotel that looks appealing to the eye, while still being affordable. Pittsburgh is known for its blue collar people and that is what makes the city great. It is the reason Pittsburgh has been rated as having some of the friendliest people in the country, the people relate to one another. All I am saying is that for the location (old mellon arena) being close to the strip, Consol Energy Center, and the heart of downtown, it should be an option for all. The possibilities are endless when a mix of people can be brought into the city in such a prime location.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2012, 10:24 AM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnland View Post
An 800 car garage?? Really? What is that for? In Lawrenceville? Why?? Why is Pittsburgh being overrun with those awful garages? Why bother preserving the historic buildings if a monster garage is looming in background? How do 800 cars compliment history?
Perhaps if there were better transit, having such a large garage wouldn't be needed, Johnland. Unfortunately, our transit system isn't exactly top-notch, so in order to have enough parking for 150+ apartments, offices, retail, etc., it's important to have a decent-sized parking garage to handle the load. You really don't want that many additional people parking in the neighborhoods, do you? Especially when much of Lawrenceville is under a residential parking permit program?

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Dec 6, 2012, 2:11 PM
World Class City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
and a typically pathetic sycophantic rebuttal by Ravenstahl/Buncher toady Yarone Zober...

I too have to agree with former Mayor Tom Murphy on this one. I have always looked at the strip site as the next frontier to expand Pittsburgh's CBD. The architecture shown in the Buncher renderings look like the same buildings we have been seeing in this area for over a decade...Brick on the bottom with some sort of glass skyline feature on top with a canted roof. Yawn. All he is suggesting is that we can do better than this. Anything along the waters edge should be stimulating and dynamic.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2012, 2:24 PM
Eurosceptic

Welcome, East Edge!

And I agree completely. It is absurd that Zober gets so defensive when anyone suggests we should be aiming for a higher standard of development at the Buncher site... always responding with "it's private property and Buncher can do whatever they want with it and we should be grateful to them... it's better than a parking lot!".

I think this city has proven in recent years... that we are not a dying backwater desperate for any construction project. We can demand great urban design... and Mayor Murphy deserves some measure of credit for his vision.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2012, 2:31 PM
World Class City

Old Posted Dec 6, 2012, 2:33 PM
Eurosceptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by East Edge View Post
Dont get me wrong, I am thrilled that Millcraft has been making such large scale investments in our Downtown, but this building looks like a tank on such a small scaled street. Surely they must have thought about some more terracing or setbacks to make this look more graceful on the site. Look at what PNC is doing on their new building on Wood, and there is much more breathing room at that site.
"Tank" is a perfect description. I've never cared for the design of this project... too much parking garage... too little everything else. That's the main problem... it's impossible to make a giant parking garage "graceful".

Old Posted Dec 6, 2012, 3:16 PM

Something people need to understand with hotels - it's usually a hotel owner who decides to do something, not the brand owner.

Hotel owners sign contracts with whatever brand they wish the hotel to be - then they need to adhere to brand standards etc and obviously pay for all of that and the marketing that comes with that.

Some high end brands have much more hotel company involvement.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2012, 6:49 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

I think this new header pic from the latest issue of popcitymedia shows that the new dual-tone paint job on the BNY building looks great. I love it. And unlike almost EVERYONE on this website, I personally don't have a problem with signage at the top of buildings. (Except PPG. lol)

Photo Credit: Brian Cohen
http://www.popcitymedia.com/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations