HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

45 Lansing in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • San Francisco Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
San Francisco Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jul 2, 2007, 10:42 PM
BANNED

The demolition is complete. Today, as I walked by, I noted 4 workers in WebCor logo'd clothing with a backhoe digging what appeared to be a hole about 10 ft deep, and examining both the hole and the dirt being dug out of it. Soil condition analyisis? Not sure, but the fact that they were WebCor people, not Cannon (Cannon did the demolition) is encouraging. I guess maybe WebCor is going to build this one too--like just about every other major project in town. I was hoping one of them would come over near enough to where I was so I could ask him when construction was going to start, but none of the them ever did.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2007, 10:57 PM

I walked by yesterday and saw more workers standing around, analyzing the grounds. Today, I walked by and there were two bulldozers and a lot of dust. I'm not sure, but it looks like they've begun digging the foundation.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2007, 9:43 PM
BANNED

A group of people again on-site today, digging a big hole and sifting the dirt. My guess is they are sampling for asbestos or other toxics that will need special care during excavation. Anyway, I was able to ask one of them if he knew when actual construction would begin and he said he didn't. That at least tells me it hasn't begun yet.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2007, 6:15 PM

They likely would have sampled for toxics prior to demolition. Knocking stuff down with hazmats in the materials would release the stuff into the air and is thus illegal.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2007, 6:19 PM
BANNED

^^^Yes, but they couldn't sample the dirt 10 or 12 ft. under the foundation before they knocked it down which is what they appear to be doing now. In San Francisco, these sites may have been built and rebuilt a number of times. I doubt the building they demolished was the first on that site and so the soil could be contaminated way below the recent building's foundation.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2007, 6:28 PM

Good point - there is a gas station right next door after all.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2007, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTinSF View Post
A group of people again on-site today, digging a big hole and sifting the dirt. My guess is they are sampling for asbestos or other toxics that will need special care during excavation. Anyway, I was able to ask one of them if he knew when actual construction would begin and he said he didn't. That at least tells me it hasn't begun yet.
Would it really make much sense from a financial standpoint for this lot to remain an empty plot of land for very long? Obviously, Turnberry had to pay a fair sum to purchase this land and to buy the rights to develop a high rise. In addition, they must've paid a fair amount to hire the contractor to demolish and to do whatever soil samples are being conducted. Given the extremely high inventory holding costs here in SF, I don't see how it would make sense for this to not be constructed as soon as possible. This is further backed up by the fact that high-end condos are selling rapidly here in the city (i.e. St. Regis, Ritz, Four Seasons, etc). I can see that if this is in fact a site of toxic waste (similar to Hunters Point), this could stall the development due to legal issues. However, barring any unforeseen findings, don't you think we'd see this constuction begin within the next 1-2 months?

Old Posted Jul 11, 2007, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior View Post
Would it really make much sense from a financial standpoint for this lot to remain an empty plot of land for very long? Obviously, Turnberry had to pay a fair sum to purchase this land and to buy the rights to develop a high rise. In addition, they must've paid a fair amount to hire the contractor to demolish and to do whatever soil samples are being conducted. Given the extremely high inventory holding costs here in SF, I don't see how it would make sense for this to not be constructed as soon as possible. This is further backed up by the fact that high-end condos are selling rapidly here in the city (i.e. St. Regis, Ritz, Four Seasons, etc). I can see that if this is in fact a site of toxic waste (similar to Hunters Point), this could stall the development due to legal issues. However, barring any unforeseen findings, don't you think we'd see this constuction begin within the next 1-2 months?
Didn't Turnberry say that they are targeting fall of 2007?... i think the current activity shows that they are not waivering from that plan. I would only be concerned if activity comes to a complete halt.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2007, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman_95046 View Post
Didn't Turnberry say that they are targeting fall of 2007?... i think the current activity shows that they are not waivering from that plan. I would only be concerned if activity comes to a complete halt.
There were some guys there this morning doing more soil sampling, so I asked them when construction would start - they didn't know, but said that their work would be done by the end of August.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2007, 11:28 PM
BANNED

I don't forsee any delay on account of toxics or whatever. But I'm sure they are required by some law or other to make an effort to determine what they will be dealing with ahead of time. For example, California's "state rock" is serpentinite, I believe, which has a significant component of asbestos in it ( http://geology.about.com/library/bl/...rpentinite.htm ) and a hill like Rincon Hill could well have serpentinite at its core. Generally, if they find significant amounts of this mineral, I believe all that would be required is a more intense effort to keep down dust as they excavate (ever seen the guys holding hoses continually wetting down excavation sites as they progress?). Possibly they would also have equipment operators and so on wear HEPA filter masks. But it shouldn't stop construction.

Yes, I think Turnberry does want to get going this fall and the activity going on now would be a natural part of that process and consistent with such a timetable. I was just hoping those guys there now would know in some detail when the serious digging was to begin and they didn't.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2007, 12:57 AM

Photos from 07-14

Old Posted Jul 26, 2007, 9:04 AM
Green Berniecrat

As I mentioned in the Transbay Towers thread, I was lucky enough to sit next to one of the architects of 45 Lansing. I asked him about the height and number of floors of this tower, and he told me it was in fact 40 floors and 398'. I'm gussing its 398' to the roof and not the structure tip. He had mentioned the desire to build with podiums at the base of the towers, as is clear in this building.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2007, 6:03 PM

this is interesting - they won't have a site permit until september at the very earliest :

Quote:
45 LANSING STREET (BLOCK 3749, LOT 059) - Motion to Waive Rincon Hill Community Infrastructure Impact Fees per Section 318.3(f) - The Planning Commission approved a project at 45 Lansing Street on March 15, 2007, that includes approximately 227 dwelling units. Planning Code Section 318.3(b)(i) requires payment of $11.00 per net occupiable square foot of residential development for the Rincon Hill Community Infrastructure Fund prior to issuance of site permit. The project would require a payment of approximately $3,000,000. The project sponsor has entered into a Waiver Agreement with the City, to the satisfaction of the Planning Department and City Attorney, to secure the formation of a Community Facilities (Mello-Roos) District and to take all necessary steps to support the construction of a portion of the public improvements, equal to the value owed by the sponsor, and described in Planning Code Section 318.6 and in the Rincon Hill Plan.

Preliminary Recommendation: Approval

(Proposed for Continuance to September 6, 2007)

Old Posted Aug 4, 2007, 6:39 PM
BANNED

^^^I think that fits. I'm looking for actual construction to start in late fall--maybe November. I signed up at the Turnberry web site as a "prospect" so I could ask them if a rendering is available and when they plan to start and they said somebody would contact me but nothing so far. But it is encouraging that these issues like the impact fees and site permit are moving forward--that says the thing is not on any kind of hold (and I wouldn't expect it to be since Turnberry is moving forward in both south Florida and Las Vegas, arguably the two worst housing markets in the country--by comparison, SF could be their cash cow).

Old Posted Aug 4, 2007, 6:44 PM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTinSF View Post
^^^I think that fits. I'm looking for actual construction to start in late fall--maybe November. I signed up at the Turnberry web site as a "prospect" so I could ask them if a rendering is available and when they plan to start and they said somebody would contact me but nothing so far.
Sounds like you're ready for an upgrade from Opera Plaza. You'll be roadwarrior's neighbor!

Old Posted Aug 4, 2007, 6:51 PM
BANNED

^^^Naw. I just want the info. 45 Lansing is going to be very top end--equal or higher in price to the St. Regis/4 Seasons/Ritz but without the hotel services which means more space and ultra-high end finishes, and definitely out of my price range for a half-time habitat.

I actually did think about looking seriously at One Rincon, but I can't do it. I've lived here for 26 years. Think about what that means in Prop 13 terms. I could probably buy a smaller unit at One Rincon for only a bit more than what I could get for my 2 bedroom at OP, but my taxes would double and my wonderful 5.375% fixed loan would go by the boards for something at a higher rate (if you can get a mortgage right now).

Old Posted Aug 4, 2007, 6:57 PM

i have to say, even without seeing the specifics of the mello-roos they've written up, if i was a prospective buyer (i'm not) i would be very unhappy about them passing the buck (3,000,000 of them) to the future owners.

it's probably only 15-20k over the life of the district, but still. i assume this will be well documented to any prospective buyers.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2007, 7:08 PM
BANNED

^^^I have to assume if Turnberry did just pay the fee they'd add it on to the price of the units so the future owners would end up paying it one way or the other (of course that would mean they could finance it, but Turnberry buyers often pay cash). And isn't that as it should be? It's supposed to pay for infrastructure that they will be using and that supposedly wouldn't be needed without their presence.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2007, 11:17 PM
Only Mostly Dead

We're over a week past the 6th. Did anyone happen to hear if they got their permit? It looked exactly the same as botoxic's photos (from mid-July) when I walked by earlier in the week. And Cannon's signs were still hanging on the fence. I didn't see any Webcor signage, but I could have missed it.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Sep 14, 2007, 11:31 PM
BANNED

^^^

Quote:
2. 2007.0101U (J. SWITZKY: (415) 575-6815)
45 LANSING STREET (BLOCK 3749, LOT 059) - Motion to Waive Rincon Hill Community Infrastructure Impact Fees per Section 318.3(f) - The Planning Commission approved a project at 45 Lansing Street on March 15, 2007, that includes approximately 227 dwelling units. Planning Code Section 318.3(b)(i) requires payment of $11.00 per net occupiable square foot of residential development for the Rincon Hill Community Infrastructure Fund prior to issuance of site permit. The project would require a payment of approximately $3,000,000. The project sponsor has entered into a Waiver Agreement with the City, to the satisfaction of the Planning Department and City Attorney, to secure the formation of a Community Facilities (Mello-Roos) District and to take all necessary steps to support the construction of a portion of the public improvements, equal to the value owed by the sponsor, and described in Planning Code Section 318.6 and in the Rincon Hill Plan.
Preliminary Recommendation: Approval
(Continued from Regular Meeting of August 9, 2007)
(Continued to October 11, 2007)
Source: http://www.sfgov.org/site/planning_page.asp?id=67026

Not sure why this keeps getting put off. Could there be "neighborhood opposition"? Or something?

By the way, to find these things just go to the Planning Dept. web site at http://www.sfgov.org/site/planning_index.asp and enter the address you are interested in.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive