HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Nov 29, 2010, 8:08 PM

Grand Rapids (African American perspective)

Last edited by AccraGhana; Nov 29, 2010 at 8:25 PM.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2010, 8:12 PM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

I wish the photos were a tad bit bigger but I dig what you're doin'.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2010, 12:39 AM

Same here...some bigger shots would be great.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2010, 6:16 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColDayMan View Post
I wish the photos were a tad bit bigger but I dig what you're doin'.
That, and I wish we couldn't tell they were all taken from a car. And, I'm not even sure I get what an "African American perspective" of the city is supposed to mean.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2010, 2:06 PM
International

I think these photos are from the "driver's" perspective.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2010, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMich View Post
That, and I wish we couldn't tell they were all taken from a car. And, I'm not even sure I get what an "African American perspective" of the city is supposed to mean.
Wow......did not your folks tell you that if you don't have anything positive to say....just don't say anything? Yes....all the things you listed would be nice...but there is a REASON why it is not so. Anyway.....I live part of my youth in Grand Rapids and most of the Housing areas you see are from the black community....Hence....its a window....ie perspective.....of the physical African American community in Grand Rapids. No....all black people don't live in these areas but most of those area are mostly black.

When people show images of Detroit city......that is also the black perspective because Detroit is an 85% black city. Grand Rapids black community is not that much different from Detroits black community or Flint's black community or Saginaws black community or Muskegons, Gary, Chicago, Philly etc. I also lived in Detroit for 8 years, 6 mile telegraph, and did not see what was so terrible about the city. It all depends on what you are used to and in Grand Rapids I lived in the SE inner city (on one of the streets in the photo set) and saw burnt up housing, vacant lots, no retail, crime and the like. However, the issues of the black community simply get muted by the predominantly white population of the city where as Detroit and Flint are majority black cities and the statistics of the city thus reflects the poverty and issues of African Americans. Hence, people can say that Grand Rapids does not have the problems of Detroit or Flint (what they are really saying is that Grand Rapids does not have as many blacks as Detroit and Flint percentage and absolutes)......but from the black perspective of Grand Rapids......blacks in Grand Rapids has the same issues as blacks in Detroit and Flint. Its Grand Rapids little secret.

Part of the reason that I posted these pics is because people always try to portray Grand Rapids or West Michigan always in a positive light while always portraying Detroit and the East side of the state in a negative light. Well.....Detroit has a lot more GOOD than what is popularly shown and Grand Rapids has more bad than what is popularly shown. If you ask the white residents of Michigan what are the worst cities in Michigan 90% of them will list all the cities in Michigan with a large percentage black population. Thats just a fact. I am not saying its racism....I am just saying that there is a racial correlation of whites finding black areas as "bad". Well....Grand Rapids has black areas too.

Last edited by AccraGhana; Nov 30, 2010 at 3:34 PM.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2010, 4:57 PM

I think it was a little too early for a full explanation on the title, but I'm curious why are the pics so small?

Old Posted Nov 30, 2010, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownCity View Post
I think it was a little too early for a full explanation on the title, but I'm curious why are the pics so small?
The pics are small because I chose the least time consuming method, based upon my limited knowlege, to post those pics. I created a Flickr account for the first time, to store these photos taken from my HTC EVO phone.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2010, 6:51 PM

so you will get around to making them larger? or they are that small because of the resolution on your phone?

Old Posted Nov 30, 2010, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownCity View Post
so you will get around to making them larger? or they are that small because of the resolution on your phone?
No....the resolution of my camera creates a larger photo. When I uploaded the pics to Flickr they resolve into smaller pics that are enlarged when you click on the pic. The larger or original resolution only allows the display of one picture per page while the smaller version allows multple pics per page and makes it easier to copy the url of each pic and post it on this forum. There might be a better way to do it....but again.....I am bound by what I know. If you want to see a bigger pic you can change the display size (Zoom) on your browser in the lower right vertice.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2010, 8:45 PM
<-- Chicago's roots.

Maybe the African-American perspective means that brothers is broke out here and we can't afford a camera that takes bigger photos. Jokes!

Great shots, and thanks for giving my eyes a workout.

Common - Resurrection (Video Mix)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmOd0GKuztE

Old Posted Nov 30, 2010, 10:00 PM

For those who want to see bigger picks....you can go to my Flickr page directly.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wesfrica/

Old Posted Dec 1, 2010, 4:56 AM
BANNED

Photo threads don't usually go like this one. I grew up on the SE side of Grand Rapids and it sucked. My parents finally moved when it no longer became safe to stray from our yard and after too much of our property was stolen or broken. I will say Grand Rapids is much better off than those other Michigan cities, but that is using Michigan standards. The main reason G.R. is better off is because it has weaned itself from an automobile based economy better than other cities.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2010, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raining Inside View Post
Photo threads don't usually go like this one. I grew up on the SE side of Grand Rapids and it sucked. My parents finally moved when it no longer became safe to stray from our yard and after too much of our property was stolen or broken. I will say Grand Rapids is much better off than those other Michigan cities, but that is using Michigan standards. The main reason G.R. is better off is because it has weaned itself from an automobile based economy better than other cities.
Detroit did not lose over half of its population due to the auto industry decline. How come Pittsburgh does not look like Detroit after the Decline of the Steel Industry in that city? Grand Rapids is a manufacturing town. It has one of the highest percentage of its workforce engaged in manufacturing and Manufacturing has taken a hit in this nation as a whole. However, the abandonment of cities like Detroit has more to do with race than the economy.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2010, 5:09 AM

So, African Americans see things really small?

Old Posted Dec 15, 2010, 11:26 AM

Youre photos are absolute amateur shite..from a white british perspective

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos