HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 9, 2008, 3:31 AM
BANNED

Have you tried a little Photoshopping? Sometimes it's possible to sharpen things up.

By the way, I recall from my days as a casual film photographer with a manual-only Nikon the things you all are saying, but my newest digital camera has "image stabilization". So how does that effect all this? I don't much understand when that is likely to make a significant difference and when it isn't.

Old Posted May 9, 2008, 4:19 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Photoshop is one of the things my wife suggested in lieu of zoom. I'll give that a try when I have a little more time. Thanks!

I almost forgot some shots I took today of the new Jewish Museum in YBG.

It's getting close. They now have signage up and are working hard on the large open space along Mission. I'll try to get a shot of that area next time. It's going to be huge and you can see much more of the old brick building the blue cube has been grafted onto.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted May 9, 2008, 8:20 AM

peanut,

Your wife is right about the zoom. If you try the "Smart Sharpen..." or "Sharpen" filters in Photoshop, be careful not to over sharpen. You will want your photographs to look as natural as possible, unless you intend them to be otherwise.

If you enlarge and crop in Photoshop, try enlarging by multiples of 2 to help prevent pixel bleeding or averaging across adjacent pixels. This includes both resolution and image sizes. This will help retain original sharpness. You can crop to any size you want afterwords.

Maybe you already do this, but keep your camera with you every day. There is a chance that one day you will have a bright, clean air, calm breeze, light white puffy cloud day you can take your most ideal spectacular photographs while boating on the Bay. You may not want to miss any good opportunities.

Okay, we're drifting off a bit, but I think it may be worth it for all of us to see even more spectacular photography of San Francisco skyscrapers here in this forum.

Old Posted May 9, 2008, 3:09 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Thanks again for the advice. Yep, I take it with me everyday for just that reason. The day I leave it at home will be the day the lighting will be perfect, or some strange thing will happen that I'll miss etc.

OK, back to the SF Rundown...

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted May 9, 2008, 11:17 PM
BANNED

Here's another unsung project: 125 Mason from Glide Affordable Housing.

Quote:

The Building: The Building is an 81 unit building with 22 one-bedroom units, 34 two-bedroom units, 20 three-bedroom units and 5 four-bedroom units. Floor plans are spacious and units include bay windows, fabulous views and fine finishes. The building boasts a spacious community center, an on-site management office, and laundry facilities.
Source: http://www.glide.org/125MasonStreet.aspx

Here it is now, still in its burkha like virtually all the other midsize projects going up in SF right now. One day (hopefully soon) we are going to have a mass unveiling.

Old Posted May 10, 2008, 4:34 AM
Only Mostly Dead

I like the rendering and can't wait to see it uncovered. I was just over there the other day and didn't notice it somehow. I'll have to make a point of heading over that way in the next couple of weeks.

Old Posted May 11, 2008, 9:29 PM

That jewish museum is really cool.

Can't wait for the opening of the new science acadamy in golden gate myself. Lots of cool projects going on all over.

Old Posted May 11, 2008, 11:07 PM
BANNED

Cellphone views of the Mercy Housing project at 10th & Mission (across from the Mission side of the 10th & Market project):

Source: http://www.cahill-sf.com/images/uplo...MISSION_W1.jpg

Old Posted May 11, 2008, 11:37 PM
BANNED

Meanwhile, there is The Argenta. Does it have a thread?? If so, the search function did not reveal it to me.

Here's the rendering from the opening post of this thread:

Some cellphone shots I took today:

I must say that the small area being exposed from the "building burkha" doesn't look much like the rendering to me. MUCH less glassy.

Old Posted May 12, 2008, 1:17 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Thanks for the updates BT. Hopefully, the Argenta rendering is showing a different elevation, but from what I can tell your last shot is pretty much the same view as the rendering.

Old Posted May 12, 2008, 1:50 AM
Pacific Wonderland

Damn, another case of an awesome rendering but a booooooring end result. (based on that peek of the skin) I was hoping for something like a baby Infinity.

travel, architecture & photos of the textured world at http://www.pixelmap.com

Old Posted May 12, 2008, 3:27 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderlandPark View Post
Damn, another case of an awesome rendering but a booooooring end result. (based on that peek of the skin) I was hoping for something like a baby Infinity.
I don't know if anyone remembers, but the Argenta had a very unique rendering at first that was then toned down to the one BT used above.

When scanning downtown from my place last week, I saw that the burkha was beginning to be removed. Binoculars and then a telescope definitely brought up one of those "tell me it isn't so" moments that BT has now confirmed. This one is practically criminal--it's completely different and mediocre. Not only is it a boring building, it's in between two ugly ones and very close to our imposing City Hall. One would think that our city would respect itself more and not allow this to happen both in that spot and yet again anywhere. Have they not learned anything since Fox Plaza replaced a building estimated to cost hundreds of millions if it were to be rebuilt today? Can developers not be held responsible for these bait and switch tactics that are becoming more common?

Old Posted May 12, 2008, 3:36 AM

Is it just me, or do all of the best looking projects lately appear to be in the 'Loin? I really like the look and scale of 125 Mason. Towers are cool and all, but I really wish we could just get a bunch more of this type of building built at market rate - it even has a great mix of different apartment types up to 4 bedroom units.

Old Posted May 12, 2008, 3:49 AM
BANNED

^^^ (Gordo): Take another look at the Mercy Housing thing on Mission. It's not in the Loin and I think it's nice. But I think your point is well taken. Several of these T-Loin projects are nicer than anything at Mission Bay IMHO.

Old Posted May 12, 2008, 3:54 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTinSF View Post
^^^ (Gordo): Take another look at the Mercy Housing thing on Mission. It's not in the Loin and I think it's nice. But I think your point is well taken. Several of these T-Loin projects are nicer than anything at Mission Bay IMHO.
Agreed, because they add some visual excitement to their environments. Too bad that the Salvation Army and others can do it so well and Argenta can't (much like the top of the Ritz-Carlton Residences).

Old Posted May 12, 2008, 4:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTinSF View Post
I agree - I do like the Mercy Housing thing as well. It just seems that every time I log on here OR I take a walk through the Tenderloin I see another great project going up. It just seems that every project going up there is good - nothing spectacular maybe, but all are interesting to look at and just, well - good.

Old Posted May 12, 2008, 6:13 AM

Ugh, this is driving me mad. Will we see an 800, 1000, 1200-foot tower?

Just one awesome 1200' tower (100+ floors) with 500-800' fill and I would be happy.

Old Posted May 12, 2008, 9:15 PM
Green Berniecrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenratboy View Post
Ugh, this is driving me mad. Will we see an 800, 1000, 1200-foot tower?

Just one awesome 1200' tower (100+ floors) with 500-800' fill and I would be happy.
I think that would make quite a few people around here happy. Going by what other have said above, we cant really trust renderings anymore to provide us with an accurate view of how the building will look like. So, despite how awesome a skyscraper like that may look like, we wont really know until we start seeing in person. Aside from that, we'll just have to put up with SF's agonizingly slow process of construction approval.

Old Posted May 12, 2008, 10:25 PM
BANNED

The T-Loin burkha fashion show:

Polk Senior Housing (Polk & Geary):

Quote:

The Polk Senior Housing development is a new construction project that will provide approximately 110 units of safe, quality, affordable housing with links to essential supportive services for low-income seniors. Located at a main intersection in the neighborhood, this project is served by nine different public transit routes within a three-block walking distance. Other neighborhood amenities within walking distance include grocery stores, restaurants, retail shops, St. Francis Hospital, and other health care centers.

Funding sources of this project include the San Francisco Mayor's Office of Housing, Federal Home Loan Bank, 4% low-income housing tax credits, and Union Bank of California. Fifty units in this property will serve seniors who have been homeless or are at risk of homelessness, a segment of the San Francisco population that is in need of permanent housing and supportive services.

This project will also provide about 3,000 square feet of community space that includes a solarium, office spaces, and a kitchenette, as well as 3,000 square feet of retail space available for a local business.

Qualifying senior residents will earn 50% or less of the area median income. On-site senior supportive services will be provided to enable the residents of the development to age healthily and happily. Citizens Housing is partnering with Tenderloin Neighborhood Development Corporation (TNDC) on this development.
Source: http://www.citizenshousing.org/index...nior%20Housing

Today's reality:

Arnett Watson Apartments (Eddy between Polk and Larkin)

Quote:

Arnett Watson Apartments will be the first building CHP (Community Housing Partnership) has constructed from the ground up. Located on a lot at 650 Eddy Street, Arnett Watson Apartments will become 36 studio apartments, 33 1-bedrooms and 14 2-bedrooms. The building will feature two courtyards, community space and integrated services space. Our development partner for this project is Tenderloin Neighborhood Development Corporation. When complete, CHP will be the owner and operator of the property. Construction is now underway, and the doors will open in December 2008.
Source: http://www.chp-sf.org/housing_current_arnettwatson.html

Today's reality:

818 Van Ness condos:

Quote:

818 Van Ness Avenue is an eight (8) story mixed-use condominium project of 52 residential units above two new retail spaces (810 and 826 Van Ness). The design is by Forum Design. The building should be on the market in early 2008.
Source: http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2...t_818_van.html

The reality:

Old Posted May 12, 2008, 11:51 PM
BANNED

And then there's SOMA:

829 Folsom (69 condos, ranging from studios to 3 bedrooms):

The rendering

Source: http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2...g_in_2008.html

The reality

Source: http://www.socketsite.com/

View from the rooftop terrace

Source: http://www.socketsite.com/

Could this be a case of the reality looks BETTER than the rendering?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations