HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 29, 2014, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
Just a shame that neato design is being wasted on a puny 100 apartments on top of a garage.
It could be bigger, but that's not a bad unit count for new, presumably luxury, apartments.

I'm curious if the apartment part wraps around the Park Building (the garage does).

Old Posted Sep 29, 2014, 10:26 PM
BANNED

Not a fan of the parking garage being just as tall (or possibly taller) than the actual residential component on top of it... but glad to see this corner being developed... I just wish it was being developed in a bigger way, particularly since it is on what can become a prominent, and active corner.

I get a Lantern Building vibe:

Last edited by Private Dick; Sep 29, 2014 at 10:36 PM.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2014, 10:42 PM
Eurosceptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Private Dick View Post
Not a fan of the parking garage being just as tall (or possibly taller) than the actual residential component on top of it...
Agreed... very awkward proportions with the residential component being so minimal compared to the parking garage. Pretty sad this project is going to be dwarfed by the adjacent circa-1896 Park Building. McKnight Realty goes on and on in one of today's articles about the views of the city from the Oliver Bldg (the other component to this development)... yet the apartments atop this garage will barely be high enough to even have a view of the refreshed Mellon Square across Smithfield.

Also... it concerns me that just about every non-PNC new build Downtown is basically a parking garage with a token residential or office component atop.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2014, 10:56 PM

yes, the proportion is odd. Just a few more stories would do wonders and still be a modest change.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2014, 2:13 AM

Quote:

That does not look like 100 units to me... Am I crazy?

On another note - when is someone going to renovate the Park Building? Seems like a prime candidate for residential conversion if you ask me.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2014, 2:19 AM
Chillin' in The Burgh

The saks apartment building looks very cool. Reminds me of some mid rise San Francisco infill.
I don't know what yinz are talking about. 100 units is a nice size development. That's around the size of 151 Firstside or Penn Garrison. (Both around 100 units) I think we will be pleasantly surprised with the results.

I have high hopes that a developer will soon buy the Park Building and return it to its former glory. Think about it, it sits RIGHT in the middle of the renovated mellon park and repurposed Olver building, the Saks apartment redevelopment and the 20+ story Oxford tower. Smithfield is going to be an amazing pedestrian/biking street with dense streetwalls. I know that there is an abundance of parking garages on that street but non lifeless garages. They all have 1st floor retail and now with new office space and apartments going up, we're talking a great urban street under construction. I think it will be terrific.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2014, 2:22 AM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbana View Post

On another note - when is someone going to renovate the Park Building? Seems like a prime candidate for residential conversion if you ask me.
It looks to be eleven stories tall or so. Keep in mind that building is a wrap around L shaped lot. I think that sounds about right.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2014, 2:33 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbana View Post
Yeah... doesn't look like a large enough building for 20-25 luxury condos per floor. The rendering looks like 20 condos total.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2014, 2:42 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinlee View Post
It looks to be eleven stories tall or so. Keep in mind that building is a wrap around L shaped lot. I think that sounds about right.
The residential portion looks to only be 4 stories, with a penthouse. And that L-shaped portion only adds another 1/3 to the small Saks footprint. So, I don't see how they're going to get 100 luxury condo units out of it... but maybe those "luxury" units are planned to be pretty small.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2014, 2:46 AM
Ex Houstonian

At least they are covering up the parking garage so you cant really tell its a parking garage.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2014, 2:52 AM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
The residential portion looks to only be 4 stories, with a penthouse. And that L-shaped portion only adds another 1/3 to the small Saks footprint. So, I don't see how they're going to get 100 luxury condo units out of it... but maybe those "luxury" units are planned to be pretty small.
The link says it will be 75-100 apartments. So I think the smallish rendering is not doing the real size justice.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2014, 3:23 AM

The whole L is pretty big:

Old Posted Sep 30, 2014, 1:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
more grants for parking garages...
I called it on the Pittsburgh CD forum. They're getting away with calling this "multimodal" by adding bike parking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
The whole L is pretty big:
Is that an older rendering? Or maybe it's just a standalone rendering of the parking component? I ask because it looks like it has rooftop parking, but the side rendering seemed to intimate the parking was below the apartments.

Last edited by eschaton; Sep 30, 2014 at 4:55 PM.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2014, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Is that an older rendering? Or maybe it's just a standalone rendering of the parking component? I ask because it looks like it has rooftop parking, but the side rendering seemed to intimate the parking was below the apartments.
Sorry, yes, that is an old parking-only rendering. It looks like they haven't changed the parking portion much, if at all.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2014, 5:08 PM

I'm sorry if someone posted this already but there's some pretty awesome public art being installed as part of the new Route 28 project: http://www.nextpittsburgh.com/city-d...lic-art-begin/

Old Posted Sep 30, 2014, 5:26 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebarbaro View Post
I'm sorry if someone posted this already but there's some pretty awesome public art being installed as part of the new Route 28 project: http://www.nextpittsburgh.com/city-d...lic-art-begin/
Can't wait to see St. Nick's carved into that concrete wall as I cross the Allegheny, just like we used to see that cool, old Croatian church against the hillside when doing so... oh wait...

Old Posted Sep 30, 2014, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Yes, that is BS, and yes, it is indifference to the facades. As far as I know the first floors of the facades were always store fronts, and in any event I don't believe they had been notably preserved (go check out the Streetview image as of 2007). On top of all that, the facades only take up part of the frontage on Forbes--the whole adjacent lot is available to do whatever they want to do at street level. So if just seeing into the theaters from the street level was the goal, there is no reason to believe the facades are any sort of practical impediment. As in fact was indicated in their original renderings:

And by the way, isn't it an AMAZING coincidence that the recession hits, torching a bunch of large institutional investment portfolios, and suddenly Point Park all over is delaying and/or scaling down its original "Academic Village Initiative". It is of course possible all this just happened to coincide with new analysis or design processes, but the simpler conclusion is that Point Park is now trying to do all this on the cheap.

Which is perfectly rational of them, but that is no excuse for waiving the historic preservation code, or providing public subsidies for the new crappier versions of their projects. The public shouldn't suffer because Point Park mishandled its investments.

This is the equally BS 18 inches argument. Here is the plan they circulated when getting approval to do the demo:

You can see the Stock Exchange building down on the lower right (with a prop shop and lounge). You can also see the main theater and main lobby space where they are destroying the facades. And as you can see, the theater would BARELY, if at all, impede on where the Stock Exchange building is located.

So it is probably BS to begin with that you could not move the main theater over to the east. And it certainly is BS that you could not move the main theater a bit father south.

So obviously you either formally represent Point Park, or they are feeding you information because they view you as a useful conduit.

OK, fine, but that doesn't mean we are getting the whole story from you. For example, did they tell you what the cost estimate for each alternative ended up being? And can you share that with us?

In any event, whether it was because they are cheaping out, or because they do have a slight preference for the exact current layout, or both, is ultimately immaterial. Historic preservation codes regularly require builders to modify their plans--that is the whole purpose of making it a code. So I don't care if the various architects they are paying (and I find the idea of "outside" architects to be a bit laughable when they hired them and they are paying their bills--that's more "inside" architects, not any true "outside" architects) said they slightly liked this plan better. That is not supposed to be up to their architects, that should be up to the HRC, and "on reflection we would really rather just destroy these buildings, OK?" is not supposed to be a sufficient argument.
Lots to reply to here. Here's my quick take on some of your points:

I don't represent Point Park, either formally or informally. And I have not been asked to be a conduit of information. Is it possible that I am being used to get out a Playhouse story with a positive spin? Nah---why would anyone recruit me? Or care about this forum? I was in the city last week and a few people told me some things about the Playhouse project because I asked. Then I shared the information here. I doubt that anyone who shared the information with me much cares if I repeat it, but I am equally sure that they did not tell me so I would repeat it. Is the information I was told complete and accurate? Not sure. If pushed, I would guess that it is mostly accurate but perhaps not exhaustive.

I assume that the university delayed the start of the Playhouse project for the very reason that you cite: The 2008-09 crash. Point Park has very little endowment. It needs to raise the funds to build the new Playhouse. When the project was announced, the university promised that it would only start the project when the majority of funds were raised. Then the crash happened and the school's ability to raise the necessary funds disappeared. Also, the school made public its goal of raising $25M from individual donors, which would have been impossible for Point Park to reach in 2008-09. It is probably a challenge now.

I will grant that an architect is not truly an "outside" architect if being paid by the university. The descriptor was mine---my bad and I retract the word. How about this: The school hired two additional architects, one of which I know specializes in reuse of historic buildings, to review the WRL plans. Is there an inherent conflict with the university paying the fees? Perhaps. But maybe one of the additional architects scores points by actually devising a solution that gives the school what it wants while allowing the facades to stay in place...

Also, I don't know whether either or both of these architects actually created alternative plans, let alone whether any alternative plans were priced. As I understand it, the two additional architects were asked to review the WRL floor plans to see what could be changed to allow the facades to stay in place.

I do not know all the reasons behind not being able to move the main house east or south. I was told that the reasons involved the Stock Exchange building. But its obvious looking at the floor plan for the first floor that there is a lot going on and everything is tightly packed. Maybe the parts only fit together this one way.

You write about the school doing this project "on the cheap." The original estimate for the cost of the Playhouse was $53M and that included the dorm and underground parking garage. Sometime last year (after the dorm and garage were dropped), I read about a $68M budget. This week's PG article had Paul Hennigan quoting a $75M cost. The project is smaller but more expensive. Maybe part of that is higher materials costs. Or maybe the higher total includes a higher endowment goal for the operation of the new Playhouse. I don't know, but it doesn't seem to be getting cheaper.

Check out the Westlake Reed web site. This is a major architectural firm with five or six offices across the country. It has done some really interesting work, including a renovation of the original Smithsonian building in DC. Performing arts centers seem to be one of the areas in which the firm specializes. My guess is that they would not sign on for a cheap job.

I don't believe anyone is trying to circumvent the HRC. Point Park, to its credit, has vowed not to dismantle the facades until its proposal is made public and reviewed/approved by the appropriate city boards and commissions.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2014, 11:06 PM

Well, if Point Park is not actually trying to circumvent the HRC, then if someone nominates the buildings, I assume Point Park will not oppose their designation if the HRC deems them to qualify.

Which they undoubtedly do.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2014, 2:58 AM

A little round up...

- Villas at Winter Park - 25 three-story attached dwellings below St Paul of the Cross Monastery. Same developer as the Bailey Park development.

http://www.southsideslopes.org/wp-co...-Flier-2.0.pdf

- Down the slopes on the vacant lot across from Rugger's, SOTA is applying for a new three-story building with 23 units.

- The former McCleary Elementary in Upper Larryville is being converted into a 25-unit residential, with a one-story addition.

- And from an article on Dan Gilman,

Quote:
Gilman heads back to his own office, takes a few seconds to sign some papers that his staff has ready for him and picks up a few more that he needs for his 11:30 a.m. meeting — a confidential conversation in the mayor’s office regarding a proposal for a new $100 million housing development in Oakland at the intersection of Centre Avenue and Craig Street.

The proposal is in its early stages, he says, but he is enthusiastic.

“Craig and Center is truly the gateway to downtown from Oakland,” he says, following the meeting. “It would be a great anchor for development for Oakland.”

Read more: The Jewish Chronicle - Love for the city keeps City Councilman Gilman running on full throttle
http://thejewishchronicle.net/view/f...e=this_just_in

Old Posted Oct 1, 2014, 3:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I have not seen full renderings of the new Pittsburgh Playhouse, but I presume the design is going to eliminate Point Park's surface lots on 4th and Forbes. One could argue that the trade-off of eliminating those surface lots versus the destruction of three nice, but low-scale buildings is worth it.
Confirmed. The floor plan of the new Playhouse shows that all the surface parking lots on that block will be eliminated.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations