HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Aug 20, 2011, 6:20 AM

Saint Louis Knows Her Place

Saint Louis is in the middle. New York is on one side. San Francisco is on the other side.

Statue of Italian immigrants in front of St. Ambrose on the Hill:

"Not only was I not the best catcher in the Major Leagues, I wasn't even the best catcher on my street!" -Joe Garagiola on growing up on the same street as Yogi Berra on the Hill.

"Nobody goes there anymore; it's too crowded." - Yogi Berra about a restaurant on the Hill he worked in as a young man, Ruggeri's.

From the movie, Meet Me in St. Louis:

Mr. Neely: [about St. Louis] It's a grand old town.
Tootie Smith: It isn't a town, Mr. Neely. It's a city. It's the only city that has a world's fair. My favorite. Wasn't I lucky to be born in my favorite city?

The apartment building in the background is called Montclair on the Park.
Masters & Johnson Institute was located on the first floor of this building. Masters & Johnson, Sexologists, from the 1950s to the 1990s:

"I found St. Louisans cold, smug, complacent, intolerant, stupid and provincial," he told the Post-Dispatch, adding, "I hate the place."
-Tennessee Williams.
His family moved to St. Louis from the south when he was young. They lived in a Central West End apartment building now known as The Glass Menagerie Building.

I lived on this block in my youth:

It is self-evident that St. Louis affected me more deeply than any other environment has ever done. I feel that there is something in having passed one's childhood beside the big river, which is incommunicable to those people who have not. I consider myself fortunate to have been born here, rather than in Boston, or New York, or London.
- T.S. Eliot, born in St. Louis 1888 (Thanks Masterwood)

Said of Al Hirschfeld "There are just two forms of fame on Broadway: seeing your name in lights, and more significantly, to be drawn by Hirschfeld."
Al Hirschfeld, born on Kensington Avenue, St. Louis 1903

Speaking of Broadway, actor Kevin Kline was born in St. Louis in 1947. The St. Louis version of the Tony Awards are called the Kevin Kline Awards.

Saint Louis City Hall:

Old City Hospital turned condo:

Betty Grable was born on Lafayette Avenue and moved to the Forest Park Hotel in the Central West End in 1920.

*New* Old North St. Louis:

Shrine of St. Joseph - site of the midwest's only Vatican approved miracle:

"The first time I ever saw St. Louis, I could have bought it for six million dollars, and it was the mistake of my life that I did not do it."
- Mark Twain

Known as Magic Chef Mansion because it was built by owner of Magic Chef Stove Company:

Actress, Agnes Moorehead grew up in St. Louis. Her father was a Presbytarian minister. (I don't which church)

Westminster Presbytarian Church:

Speaking of witchy, spooky people, Vincent Price was born into a prominent St. Louis family and grew up near Forest Park.

"In the U.S., you have to be a deviant or die of boredom." - William S. Burroughs, born in 1914 into a wealthy St. Louis family.

This is the third set from my trip to St. Louis last month. I am running out of favored pics, so I tried to make it a little more interesting by adding quotes & triva.

Thanks for looking!

Last edited by Expat; Aug 20, 2011 at 3:45 PM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos