HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 26, 2012, 3:13 PM

To me, energy companies complaining about the City's drilling ban sounds petty and thus counterproductive to their greater lobbying efforts. Extortion isn't a way to convince people you will be a good neighbor.

I'm also not 100% thrilled with the phrase "campus-like environment" as applied to the Lower Hill site.

But overall, it is cool to see so much activity going on.

Edit: Very nice to see River Vue is pet-friendly. Also, their signage is truly hilarious (I don't know if that was their intent, but I find it amusing).

Edit #2:

I mean come on! They have to be in on it, right?

http://www.facebook.com/RiverVuePGH

Old Posted May 26, 2012, 5:37 PM

Where is there to drill in the city anyway?

Old Posted May 26, 2012, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minivan Werner View Post
Where is there to drill in the city anyway?
Exactly. It is really just symbolic.

Old Posted May 26, 2012, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Exactly. It is really just symbolic.
I think its the city that's being petty, not the oil companies. Why do business with people who don't want you? There is nothing in it for them.

The oil companies don't really want to be in downtown anyway, so it's a convenient excuse.

Old Posted May 27, 2012, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markson33 View Post
The oil companies don't really want to be in downtown anyway, so it's a convenient excuse.
If that is true then they don't need an excuse. Many companies have their HQs somewhere else in the region beside Downtown, and they aren't being constantly pestered with, "Why not Downtown?"

So this seems like an entirely unforced error to me, but in general I haven't been impressed with their PR efforts.

Old Posted May 27, 2012, 2:00 AM

5/24/12

Lot 24

And also they've been renovating the space that was formerly Right By Nature, vacant since 5/11. Another grocery store is going in called Marty's Market.

Old Posted May 27, 2012, 7:35 PM

Old Posted May 28, 2012, 4:13 AM
Chillin' in The Burgh

^Lookin awesome.

Old Posted May 28, 2012, 5:01 AM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Because I like architecture of all kinds, I have taken some more pictures of suburban Pittsburgh architecture. These were all taken the first week of April.

Here is the former FORE systems/Marconi/Ericsson campus in the north hills.

Next, the Flabeg Solar product manufacturing building.

Then some pictures of Dick's Sporting Goods campus.

The next two photos are of the private aviation terminal at Pgh Intl. This is where you board your private jet.

Dick's old HQ; Now used by the expanding Thermo Fisher.

Some random interesting looking office bldg.

Old Posted May 28, 2012, 5:09 AM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Next up: Robert Morris is a University in Allegheny county that a lot of you probably
have no idea what it looks like. It's actually a pretty suprising little campus built into and around some steep terrain. In the last few years they have converted from a college to a university, built a new stadium and most recently the new $5 million school of business.
The RMU campus is in Moon Twp, right next to the airport.

Old Posted May 28, 2012, 8:34 PM

Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
Granted that is some suburban architecture, but to say that it's uninteresting... would be apalling to me... That is some sweet architecture.

Regarding oil companies building their HQs in downtown and their activities, EQT is HQ'ed in downtown, Gulf Oil was in downtown, do/did they have acive respecive drilling activities in town? What does it matter? I'd still like them (drilling companies) to build their hq in downtown because it would likely lead to more highrise development, but in the long run, if they do still choose a suburban campus-type development (as in, away from downtown) versus building a new signature highrise development in Downtown, I'm all for that. In the long run, it's still impacting greater Pittsburgh. As long as they invest in the region in some way, I'm happy...

So, to put it another way... If it impacts Pittsburgh in the long run, yay. If it means they flock to the burbs for their hq building as opposed to building a huge building downtown, still, yay...

Last edited by Jonboy1983; May 28, 2012 at 8:48 PM. Reason: added commentary

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 1:37 AM
Flood City

I've been reading this forum (and it's previous incarnation) for years now...I registered some time ago but never posted until now. Over the course of several years, having moved to the Pittsburgh area for college, I've been excited to see the developments in this city. I have lived in Johnstown my entire life, so to see Western Pennsylvania's major city growing and reinventing itself is EXCELLENT. I am especially excited by the recent population numbers (even in Johnstown!) I love my new adopted city, and I can't wait to see what will happen in the future!

Austinlee, thanks for the photos from the burbs... The reason I moved to Pittsburgh was to go to Robert Morris University, so to see the campus in some great shots is awesome. I'm actually getting a masters degree there, so to see the campus over the course of 6 years has been cool. It's a growing school...and the new developments there are pretty cool, even if not a dense campus like CMU or Pitt.
Your photos of the corporate buildings out in the west hills are really nice too...I work at the Marriott out there, so I tend to see lots of guests for the Dick's HQ, the Atlantic Aviation terminal, and the Oncology Nursing Society (those last couple photos). I always thought they were nice designs for office buildings that could easily be built with boring and bland designs.

I thought for my first post, I might contribute something you guys would be interested to see. I have a couple pictures of the development at 600 Liberty Ave. right next to 3 PNC, the renovation into what's called 'The Lantern Building'.

First try at the photo...I'll see if it loads correctly.

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 4:07 AM
Chillin' in The Burgh

^Thanks! Glad you liked them. I plan on going to RMU at some point to get a degree in business.

Thanks for posting the lantern building. Looking pretty good, IMO.

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 1:36 PM
BANNED

I think that Lantern Building thing is actually pretty cool... how the lines and angles play with 3 PNC. Thanks for the pics Buzz

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 9:38 PM
Eurosceptic

I like the Lantern Building too.

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 9:48 PM

Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
Yes, I get to post the news.

Buncher released his plans for the strip district, and to me it looks like an improvement. It calls for mostly residential with buildings ranging from 4 to 15 stories. I don't know about you, but I can handle 15 story buildings in the Strip.

Here's the article, courtesy of the Post-Gazette.

"Buncher announces plans for housing in Strip District"

Quote:
Buncher Co. officials unveiled plans today for at least 750 units of housing as part of a new development that includes partial demolition of the historic produce terminal in the Strip District.

The Riverfront Landing project, about 37 acres in all, would stretch from the Veterans Bridge to 21st Street and from Smallman Street to the Allegheny River.

Buncher is seeking approval from the city planning commission for the creation of a specially planned district that would guide development over a period of years. The total cost of the project is several hundred million dollars.

The project would require demolition of about one-third of the produce terminal to clear a path to extend 17th Street to the Allegheny River.

Under the plan, 17th Street would become a focal point of the development, a main thoroughfare that would connect the housing, the terminal and other development. Buncher wants to create a public piazza at the end of 17th Street near the river.

"What we feel we can create here is something special," said Michael Kutzer, vice president of real estate for Buncher.

Most of the housing would be built east of 17th Street. There would be more than 750 units in all, some townhouses and flats and others in nine buildings that could range in size from four to 15 stories. Some could be built along the river.

Buncher also is thinking about building townhouses or flats directly behind the terminal building.

Many of the buildings would include street-level space for retail. There also may be opportunities for restaurants or retail in the residential buildings along the river.

Parking would be included in the residential developments. Buncher also has plans for about a 1,000-space parking garage under the Veteran's Bridge.

Buncher hopes to get started on the project next year.

A public hearing on the proposal will be held before the planning commission on June 12.

Mark Belko: mbelko@post-gazette.com or 412-263-1262.
First Published May 29, 2012 4:01 pm

And I just want to go on the record to say that I hope they expand the public market so that it occupies the Produce Terminal in its entirety -- or at least what's left of it once Buncher gets this ball rolling...

Last edited by Jonboy1983; May 29, 2012 at 10:14 PM. Reason: added commentary

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 10:00 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

^Veterans to 21st Street? That would be killer. That is one of the most shameful open lots in the downtown vacinity along with the lots facing downtown between Station Square & the Exxon on W. Carson as well as the remaining riverfront parcels on the North Shore to the left of the Equitable building.

And if they are building "several buildings in the 4-15 story range", that would compliment nicely with the old Riverparc site which will surely be re-incarnated in some form when the housing market heats up again in the coming years.

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 11:37 PM

My sentiments exactly. Altho I must say I'd like to see something beyond 15 stories when talking about the office development, especially in the parcels closer to Downtown.

Regarding the parcel adjacent to the NS tracks and convention center, which I believe is owned by Buncher, I'd like to see a convention center hotel go up here. It could be a continuation of the convention center but in the form of some smaller conference space that would essentially complement the convention center. I could see a 20-plus story building built here with a cantilever extending out over the tracks to link up with the convention center. This would be a bold new direction for Pittsburgh I would think. Not to mention, the convention center is dying for a major anchor hotel.

I could see ground level retail and restaurant space, with a continuation of such space on the second level. Third level could contain an indoor pool, and fitness center, and the 4th level would contain conference and ballroom space as well as the main connection to the convention center. The floors above that would be the hotel rooms...

Old Posted May 30, 2012, 12:11 AM

I'm thinking that is basically the same plan Buncher put before the URA (which is fine with me).

Old Posted May 30, 2012, 12:52 AM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

I'm just glad to see that the Buncher plan does call for fairly significant densities on that vast stretch of current surface parking. That is all.

Aaron (Glowrock)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations