HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 12, 2013, 9:28 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
It was a crap article with the same tired platitudes and Rust Belt iconography. Even trotted out the inaccurate old stereotype about Pittsburgh "not retaining its youth" followed by an anecdote from some kid who doesn't want to get his political science PhD at Pitt/CMU/Duquesne. Gee... a lot of people get their doctorates in faraway locations... pretty weak example to use as some sort of indictment on Pittsburgh's youth demographic.

But, I will give the writer kudos for actually delving into components of population change with the net migration numbers.
Yeah, but what do you expect from some snot-nosed Yalie punk thinking he knows about the Rust Belt?

Old Posted Mar 12, 2013, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Private Dick View Post
Well, a good read in a fluffy, lots of sizzle not a lot of steak, sense.
Agreed, but it doesn't hurt to have decent fluff pieces about Pittsburgh in publications like that.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2013, 9:54 PM

Quote:
URA buys Pittsburgh's 'skinny building' and its plumper neighbor
Fantastic news. With nice facade renovations they could contribute significantly to the emerging Forbes/Wood Street historic subdistrict.

And for what it is worth, similar skinny buildings always seem to be a mild tourist attraction in European cities.

Edit: Incidentally, I thought the idea of using the skinny building for public art sounded familiar . . .

http://www.pghcitypaper.com/pittsbur...nt?oid=1338952

Old Posted Mar 12, 2013, 11:24 PM
Pittsburgh rocks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Agreed, but it doesn't hurt to have decent fluff pieces about Pittsburgh in publications like that.
It was an ok read but it didn't get in-depth enough and was kind of simplistic. But it is really good when others from outside the region, the US and around the world read these pieces!

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 12:33 AM
BANNED

Quote:
True, keep the good press coming... and from supposed highbrow publications like the Politic

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 11:19 AM

Brief blip here about construction contracts:

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...-drops-679042/

Quote:
The value of all future construction contracts in the Pittsburgh metropolitan area rose 34 percent in January, to $116.5 million, compared with $86.7 million in January 2012, McGraw-Hill Construction reported. Residential contracts fueled the jump, increasing 52 percent for the month from January 2012. Nonresidential contracts rose 12 percent.
After a brief good period, construction employment has been one of the few disappointing sectors in the region's otherwise pretty good recent employment picture:

http://data.bls.gov/timeseries/SMU42...a_tool=XGtable

Hopefully this contract data indicates a renewed good period is coming.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 12:29 PM

Quote:
True, keep the good press coming... and from supposed highbrow publications like the Politic
Also good news that the article is #1 on the website's list of most popular articles.

I have to admit that, as a graduate of Pitt's political science department ('07), that student was right, at least about Pitt. I loved the education I received, but their poll sci department leaves a lot to be desired. I added a history major my junior year and was shocked at how much more well managed and organized the history department was. Their advisors actually knew who you were and met with you regularly. The professors got to know you and I felt so much more at home. The head of the poli sci department left a lot to be desired in leadership.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 3:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelingman04 View Post
It was an ok read but it didn't get in-depth enough and was kind of simplistic. But it is really good when others from outside the region, the US and around the world read these pieces!
This was a small collegiate journal article, not a full blown dissertation. I think it covered the subject very fairly and pretty accurately in terms of a general overview. Due to my personal experience, I can say that I believe one of Pittsburgh's challenges IS in retaining its educated youth. The majority of my high school and collegiate friends that grew up in Pittsburgh have moved to Philly/DC/NYC (including myself) since graduation. Interestingly, the majority of my acquaintances that have moved to Pittsburgh since graduation (5 years ago) have been those that haven't grown up in Pittsburgh. Not sure if this is because those of us that grew up there were bored and wanted something new (which can happen to anyone in any city regardless of size), or if Pittsburgh is lacking in its ability to appear attractive to local recent graduates, especially compared to other/larger cities in the area. Similar to the guy mentioned in the article, I love my hometown and always say that I would "in theory" like to move back to Pittsburgh one day especially in terms of possibily raising a family. Unfortunately, the longer I am in NYC and away from Pittsburgh, the more distant and unrealistic that prospect seems.....
I can say that comparing visiting home 5 years ago to my most recent trip over Christmas is remarkable in terms of how much more lively the city feels and how much more there is to do in many different neighborhoods. I think that if I had had a similar range of quality social opportunities that are offered today in neighborhoods like Lawrenceville and East Liberty throughout high school and college, I would probably have had a different view of living in Pittsburgh post-graduation. Hopefully newer grads are beginning to feel the differences that are definitely occurring and are more inclined to stick around.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 3:19 PM
Eurosceptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghSH22 View Post
This was a small collegiate journal article, not a full blown dissertation. I think it covered the subject very fairly and pretty accurately in terms of a general overview. Due to my personal experience, I can say that I believe one of Pittsburgh's challenges IS in retaining its educated youth. The majority of my high school and collegiate friends that grew up in Pittsburgh have moved to Philly/DC/NYC (including myself) since graduation. Interestingly, the majority of my acquaintances that have moved to Pittsburgh since graduation (5 years ago) have been those that haven't grown up in Pittsburgh. Not sure if this is because those of us that grew up there were bored and wanted something new (which can happen to anyone in any city regardless of size), or if Pittsburgh is lacking in its ability to appear attractive to local recent graduates, especially compared to other/larger cities in the area. .
The statistics indicate otherwise.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 3:20 PM
Eurosceptic

Here's a visual of the updated Pittsburgh-New Castle-Weirton PA-WV-OH Consolidated Statistical Area:

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 3:41 PM

As a casual reminder:

Net population and net migration numbers can conceal a lot of underlying churn as people are both coming and going. This is particularly true of well-educated young people who are generally more mobile than most population segments, and even more particularly true of such people soon after receiving a new degree. And in fact if you trace a given individual, at different points in their life they can be on both sides of the equation, sometimes multiple times.

Overall this underlying churn is a very good thing for the economic development and general vitality of a region--it increases the available human capital; promotes the interchange of new ideas, technologies, business models, and so forth; fosters ongoing business and other economic relations between regions; broadens the available cultural/entertainment amenities; and so on. Given that perspective, it is misleading to suggest as a goal that Pittsburgh should be trying to retain any specific group of young well-educated people, as opposed to seeing growth in that population segment on a net basis. Indeed, the ideal would be net growth AND large churn with other regions, and that would mean lots of out-migration (as well as compensating in-migration).

So we shouldn't see it as an inherent problem when someone raised here gets a degree and then leaves, as long as other well-educated people are coming here from elsewhere to compensate. And in fact that first person may well spend some time elsewhere then return here later (sometimes called a "boomeranger"), and those can be among the most valuable residents of all.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 3:57 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Here's a visual of the updated Pittsburgh-New Castle-Weirton PA-WV-OH Consolidated Statistical Area:

It almost includes New Philadelphia, OH

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 4:02 PM
Eurosceptic

Quote:
As a casual reminder:

Net population and net migration numbers can conceal a lot of underlying churn as people are both coming and going. This is particularly true of well-educated young people who are generally more mobile than most population segments, and even more particularly true of such people soon after receiving a new degree. And in fact if you trace a given individual, at different points in their life they can be on both sides of the equation, sometimes multiple times.

Overall this underlying churn is a very good thing for the economic development and general vitality of a region--it increases the available human capital; promotes the interchange of new ideas, technologies, business models, and so forth; fosters ongoing business and other economic relations between regions; broadens the available cultural/entertainment amenities; and so on. Given that perspective, it is misleading to suggest as a goal that Pittsburgh should be trying to retain any specific group of young well-educated people, as opposed to seeing growth in that population segment on a net basis. Indeed, the ideal would be net growth AND large churn with other regions, and that would mean lots of out-migration (as well as compensating in-migration).

So we shouldn't see it as an inherent problem when someone raised here gets a degree and then leaves, as long as other well-educated people are coming here from elsewhere to compensate. And in fact that first person may well spend some time elsewhere then return here later (sometimes called a "boomeranger"), and those can be among the most valuable residents of all.
Great points, BrianTH. It is a fool's errand when regions desperately try to "retain" their youth... and plug the "brain drain".

A good chunk of Pittsburgh's native "best and brightest" will continually leave... and they will be replaced by some of the "best and brightest" from other regions. It is natural churn.

Regions obsessed with "brain drain" and retention (which informed Pittsburgh policy until very recently) only seem to recognize those who leave... placing priority on anecdotal sob stories about the son who left for NYC (ironically a massive net domestic migration loser) and can't come back because the right job or poli sci program isn't here. Some of us never seem to recognize the dynamic newcomers in our midst... because they don't have multi-generational roots at some South Hills high school. But they are making a difference in today's Pittsburgh, and are among the most productive, creative and educated in our workforce.

And in terms of hard numbers... brain drain obsessives in Pittsburgh have been wrong about the data for decades. Pittsburgh had a very real demographic crisis in the 1980s (which capped off five previous decades of relative stagnation)... and saw a huge chunk of its youth workforce depart... which continues to impact our "natural increase". However, Pittsburgh has not had a retention problem in over 20 years. This metro has ranked near the bottom in terms of losing our natives. The problem was... that we were also ranking at the bottom in terms of attracting newcomers... so we suffered net migration loss and experienced a birth deficit... contributing to our continued regional population loss up until a few years ago.

In recent years, Pittsburgh has hit an inflection point and now vigorously attracts people from outside the region. In fact, Pittsburgh is now the only major metro in the Northeast/Midwest region (sans govt job machine DC) that experiences net domestic migration increase. It takes a lot of newcomers to overcome our "natural decrease" and post overall population gains for the metro.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 4:05 PM
Eurosceptic

Quote:
It almost includes New Philadelphia, OH
Which now belongs to the Cleveland, CSA. It's only an 86 mile drive from Cleveland!

I figure... in a couple more years Pittsburgh CSA's westward advance will intertwine with Cleveland at New Philadelphia... and we will all be the Cleveburgh CSA.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 4:34 PM

Jefferson Cty OH's population is largely all along the river and around Steubenville (also on the river) - Steubenville has very poor access to New Philadelphia so the connection point is broken between those counties, so sorry no Pgh New Philadelphia megaopolis anytime soon...

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Great points, BrianTH. It is a fool's errand when regions desperately try to "retain" their youth... and plug the "brain drain".

A good chunk of Pittsburgh's native "best and brightest" will continually leave... and they will be replaced by some of the "best and brightest" from other regions. It is natural churn.

Regions obsessed with "brain drain" and retention (which informed Pittsburgh policy until very recently) only seem to recognize those who leave... placing priority on anecdotal sob stories about the son who left for NYC (ironically a massive net domestic migration loser) and can't come back because the right job or poli sci program isn't here. Some of us never seem to recognize the dynamic newcomers in our midst... because they don't have multi-generational roots at some South Hills high school. But they are making a difference in today's Pittsburgh, and are among the most productive, creative and educated in our workforce.

And in terms of hard numbers... brain drain obsessives in Pittsburgh have been wrong about the data for decades. Pittsburgh had a very real demographic crisis in the 1980s (which capped off five previous decades of relative stagnation)... and saw a huge chunk of its youth workforce depart... which continues to impact our "natural increase". However, Pittsburgh has not had a retention problem in over 20 years. This metro has ranked near the bottom in terms of losing our natives. The problem was... that we were also ranking at the bottom in terms of attracting newcomers... so we suffered net migration loss and experienced a birth deficit... contributing to our continued regional population loss up until a few years ago.

In recent years, Pittsburgh has hit an inflection point and now vigorously attracts people from outside the region. In fact, Pittsburgh is now the only major metro in the Northeast/Midwest region (sans govt job machine DC) that experiences net domestic migration increase. It takes a lot of newcomers to overcome our "natural decrease" and post overall population gains for the metro.
You seem to have misread what I wrote. I wasn't disagreeing with the notion that Pittsburgh has recently had NET in-migration, or that this "churn" of in and out migration patterns is negative because we are replacing locals with outsiders, or obsessing on a brain drain. I stated an opinion that it is a "challenge" for Pittsburgh to retain its highly educated youth, which I believe is true, especially considering the decades of population loss that has only recently reached its "inflection" point in the past few years. My main point, however, was that the journal article (in a broad, general sense that a small article allows) was not just some ridiculous fluff garbage, but rather accurately painted a picture of how quickly aspects of Pittsburgh have changed within the last decade (for the positive!) and how it has and is affecting my general demographic and our view of our own city. This is why I gave a devastating sad "sob story ancedote" so to illustrate that the one provided in the article is a realistic experience that many in my demographic in Pittsburgh have experienced and can relate to, especially those roughly 900,000 "suburbanites with multigenerational roots".

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 8:19 PM

Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
I always wondered why Greene County isn't even part of the CSA. I guess very few people drive between Waynesburg and Washington and/or vise versa. I know it's not very populated at all...

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 8:36 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy1983 View Post
I always wondered why Greene County isn't even part of the CSA. I guess very few people drive between Waynesburg and Washington and/or vise versa. I know it's not very populated at all...
West Virginia can keep Greene County as far as I am concerned.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 9:08 PM

The county is virtually empty. It's irrelevant really.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 9:26 PM
Eurosceptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaguffin View Post
The county is virtually empty. It's irrelevant really.
And it's seen a huge increase in incomes... maybe we do want it...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations