HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 25, 2010, 10:33 PM

Does anyone know what is being built at the spot where the yellow crane is in this photo (from "pizza bagels" on flickr.com)

Old Posted Mar 26, 2010, 1:54 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1977 View Post
It is the lot just west of the Ellis St. Parking Garage near the Apple Store.

Here:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=72+ell...ed=0CAsQ8gEwAA
But is it an add-on the the Union Square Hotel or a brand new hotel that will basically butt-up against the existing one? It's the same company and they will touch in back, I believe. The article made it sound like a new stand-alone hotel, but I wonder if they'll actually make it an addition to what they already have.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Mar 26, 2010, 2:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
But is it an add-on the the Union Square Hotel or a brand new hotel that will basically butt-up against the existing one? It's the same company and they will touch in back, I believe. The article made it sound like a new stand-alone hotel, but I wonder if they'll actually make it an addition to what they already have.
Ah, I'm not sure...but like you said, the article made it seem like they were building a stand-alone hotel. Either way, it'll be great to see that parking lot go.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2010, 2:04 AM
Only Mostly Dead

^^^hi123 - there's a project in or near Japantown on Geary that has a crane, but if this is taken from Alamo Square, that would be on the other side of the cathedral. So, this is a long-winded way to say I'm not sure.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Mar 26, 2010, 2:05 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1977 View Post
Ah, I'm not sure...but like you said, the article made it seem like they were building a stand-alone hotel. Either way, it'll be great to see that parking lot go.
No doubt about that!

Old Posted Mar 26, 2010, 5:51 AM

yes the photo is indeed taken from alamo square. If it has a crane like that the project must be sizable! Hmm..

Old Posted Apr 2, 2010, 4:45 AM

New School?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi123 View Post
yes the photo is indeed taken from alamo square. If it has a crane like that the project must be sizable! Hmm..
The crane is just below St. Mary's Cathedral (catholic) on Cathedral Hill. It is probably part of the new building for the De Paul Campus of the school, part of the plans to expand by 2020, including a 300 seat theater.

Next time I go to an organ concert at St. Mark's Luthern Church (a welcoming community for all) I will have to pay attention to the construction project. I noticed it a few weeks ago when in the neighborhood but thought it was new housing.

Nice pic hi123.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2010, 10:23 PM
BANNED

Don't know the name of this project, but it's on 9th st. between Mission and Market. Not a bad looking building.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2010, 10:47 PM
Only Mostly Dead

That's the Mercy Housing annex. The main building is on the corner of 10th and Mission. No one has posted a photo update of it in awhile, so thanks for doing so.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2010, 11:14 PM
BANNED

Now if somebody would just come up with a new development plan for the vacant lot from which the photo was taken (which I think was where the workmens' comp insurance outfit was once slated to go).

Old Posted Apr 7, 2010, 11:52 PM
BANNED

Although most of us will never go there and might not even notice, we should probably acknowledge the major transformation of some of the city's nastiest public housing that has just begun:

Quote:
hHunters View construction breaks ground
Heather Knight, Chronicle Staff Writer
Wednesday, April 7, 2010

One month after taking office in early 2004, Mayor Gavin Newsom loaded his department heads onto a bus to show them Hunters View, the public housing project in Hunters Point deemed one of the worst in the country by federal inspectors.

That fall, Newsom announced in his first State of the City address the creation of a program to rebuild Hunters View and other notorious public housing developments around San Francisco . . . .

Five-and-a-half years later, today marks the official beginning of making that promise come true: the groundbreaking of a rebuilt Hunters View.

Demolition of the first 113 of the development's 267 units is expected to be completed by July, and their replacements, along with a new park, new streets, a new sewer system and other infrastructure, should be in place by the end of 2011.

Additional phases include rebuilding the rest of the public housing units, as well as 84 new affordable rental units and 350-450 market-rate condos and townhomes with a final completion date expected sometime in 2015 . . . .

Source: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...BAIJ1CQN1U.DTL

Old Posted Apr 8, 2010, 5:01 AM
Only Mostly Dead

That's great to see. I'm sure you also saw the plan for Potrero? I love that they're integrating with the existing street grid.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2010, 6:02 AM

564 Howard

I'm not very impressed with this one but I thought I would post it anyhow....

From Curbed SF:

564 Howard

Source: http://sf.curbed.com/archives/2010/0..._rear_yard.php

Old Posted Apr 8, 2010, 6:11 AM

Quote:
That's great to see. I'm sure you also saw the plan for Potrero? I love that they're integrating with the existing street grid.
I like it. I really hope this will create a safer and more livable environment for everyone in the area.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2010, 3:31 PM
Only Mostly Dead

on 564 Howard: Remember that the ramps to the new terminal will be straight and right up against this lot. So, those units on the second and third floors will get quite a rumble every time a bus goes in and out of there.

But imagine how this will look if it gets built, along with the proposal for the lot that will be open once they move the ramps. The ramp will have two relatively tall towers right on either side of it as busses move in and out of the terminal. Not great for the tenants but an interesting view for the bus passengers. Like two sentinels guarding Transbay!

Old Posted Apr 16, 2010, 8:56 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Designs For Building Senior Housing At 121 Golden Gate Avenue

The proposed project [at 121 Golden Gate Avenue] would consist of the demolition of an existing 40‐foot‐high building and the construction of a new 99‐foot‐high, ten‐story building with one basement level, containing a total of approximately 109,375 gross square feet (gsf) comprising a kitchen/dining hall, philanthropic/social services, and 90 affordable senior housing units. No off‐street parking would be provided with the project.

What's there now:

Source all quotes and images: http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2...ing_senio.html

Old Posted Apr 16, 2010, 9:01 AM
BANNED

Rendering for the renovation/reuse of the Alexandria Theater:

Source of images: http://sf.curbed.com/archives/2010/0...fe_in_2011.php

The four stories of housing shown will be new construction built in the existing theater's parking lot.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2010, 3:39 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
I just saw an update on SocketSite that the developer is paying out of pocket for excavation at 1844, so apparently no new construction loans have been secured and this may be a relatively short-lived revival in activity.
It does indeed look like 1844 Market Street has been stalled for some time, despite the crane having been erected. Everything has just been sitting there.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2010, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTinSF View Post
Rendering for the renovation/reuse of the Alexandria Theater:

The four stories of housing shown will be new construction built in the existing theater's parking lot.
Some more details and pictures are available at the RichmondSF blog:

http://richmondsfblog.com/2010/04/14...project-plans/

I know the area quite well, as one of my wife's best friends lives near the corner of 19th and Geary (a block away). Looks like a decent plan, though I've never really thought that the Alexandria's architecture was anything all that worthy of saving. Of the old theaters in town, it always struck me as one of the most bland. Sounds like the Hello Kitty store is safe (whew! )

Old Posted Apr 29, 2010, 8:37 PM
Only Mostly Dead

SocketSite posted new renderings for the Fairmont Hotel's new tower and podium:

Quote:

As is proposed for the “Fairmont Hotel Revitalization” and Residential Tower Project:

The proposed project includes two main components: (1) renovation of portions of the historic 1906 Fairmont Hotel, a Landmark structure (City Landmark Number 185), which is also listed on the California and National Registers of Historic Places; and (2) the construction of a new residential tower, a new mid-rise residential component and a replacement podium structure on the site of the existing 317-foot-tall, 23-story non-historic hotel tower above a five-story podium with parking and hotel support uses, that was built in 1961.

The project includes the demolition of the existing hotel tower and podium and additional excavation for and expansion of below-grade parking uses. While interior changes to portions of the historic 1906 Fairmont Hotel are proposed, the exterior facades would remain largely unchanged.
I was wondering what was up with that proposal. Seems to still be alive.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations