HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Dec 6, 2009, 12:18 AM
World Machine

Question What building constructed in your city this decade made the biggest impact?

In looking at some cities in the year 2000 and then comparing them to now in 2009, there are many cases of cities that can be deemed unrecognizable. So I ask; what building constructed in your city this decade made the biggest impact? (Pics are welcome).

For New York my vote would have to be casted for the Time Warner Center, which brought with it not only a sleek and stylish addition to the skyline but also in many ways a great transformation to the Columbus Circle area. Before which was a very sterile and imposing area with the New York Coliseum front and center.

The street life is much more vibrant and clean; and has evolved into a touristy hotspot. With upscale dining, high end shopping, multimillion dollar apartments and class A office space, the Time Warner Center has brought it all. Along with the GM Building to the east, the Time Warner Center is the western cornerstone which acts as a gateway into the density of Midtown Manhattan.

Other honorable mentions would have the go to the buildings which have made up the new and much improved Times Square; which can arguably be tied for the first spot. That area was of course not a pretty sight for the longest time, even up until the beginning of this decade. The turnaround it has made though is nothing short of jaw dropping. This is due in large part to the new buildings which make up that Times Square canyon of glass and electronic signage.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2009, 12:50 AM
portuglês

For Denver, arguably the Four Seasons Hotel and Residences, which is finishing construction - it added the first spire to the skyline and was the tallest building built downtown since the '80s. It is also one of numerous developments to have gone up on 14th Street, across from our convention center and performing arts complex, reviving that part of downtown quite a bit.

Photo courtesy forumer okayyou:

and forumer BruceQ:

Old Posted Dec 6, 2009, 12:52 AM

I want to say City Center, but I feel that it's impact won't be really felt until next decade. It will either mark the beginning of a new Las Vegas, or it could end rather badly in this economy.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2009, 1:00 AM
Of Heart's Delight

Probably city hall, since it represents a return to downtown/urban focus:

Old Posted Dec 6, 2009, 1:07 AM

Probably the most controversial building was the BOK Arena designed by Cesar Peli. Some people absolutely hate it ( The giant roll of duct tape, the Silver Cinnamon Roll, etc.) , others think its a new architectural treasure. Regardless its been a smashing success (consistently a top ticket seller in the world and US since its opened) and a cornerstone in down-towns revival.

I think its a new Tulsa Icon and architectural treasure. Its a complete joy to walk around the outside of it taking pictures and seeing how the light changes, reflects, and shimmers off its curvy, shimmering, metallic surfaces. And the light changes the colors from icy blues to warm gold, and sunsets look spectacular on it.

Finishing construction,,, by Dsdeffries, flickr

by ezeiza, flickr

by lesstockton, flickr

an "artsy" moonlight photo by me

Old Posted Dec 6, 2009, 1:34 AM
A before E

the BOK Center makes me want to visit Tulsa.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2009, 1:40 AM
Eurosceptic

For Pittsburgh, the David L. Lawrence Convention Center... which was instrumental in attracting the G-20 Summit here in September.

Designed by Rafael Viñoly and completed in 2003, this is the world's first LEED-certified convention center in North America... a major component of Pittsburgh's "green city" PR blitz in recent years.

source: me

source: wikipedia

Old Posted Dec 6, 2009, 1:41 AM
Deerhoof Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamTheArtist View Post
an "artsy" moonlight photo by me
That is a beautiful photo, and it underscores the skin's uncanny resemblance to Gehry's footbridge at Millennium Park in Chicago.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2009, 1:44 AM
Deerhoof Evangelist

For Chicago, I'd have to say the Aqua tower by Studio/GANG - it resurrects the expressive structuralism of the first two Chicago Schools, and also marks the emergence of a whole new generation of talented young firms onto the scene.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2009, 1:58 AM
BANNED

I'm fairly sure I'll get some argument from other San Franciscans, but I'm going to say One Rincon Hill for a number of reasons:

1. It brings highrises to a new part of town (Rincon Hill) and extends the skyline substantially (city planning calls for it eventually to be joined by 4 or 5 additional buildings, though none taller than it is),

2. It appears to be one of the 3 tallest in town because its location on a 100 (roughly) foot hill. The actual height is 60 stories/641 ft (per Wikipedia--let's not argue this again, guys);

3. Its design is something new for earthquake country with a reinforced concrete frame, incorporating outriggers for rigidity, that is much lighter than other similarly tall buildings and using a mass damper (huge water tank on top). The design was so radical that the city Building Dept. put a hold on its construction until they could be convinced it would be safe.

Source: http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/pz-Su...uLda2owAlCctmQ

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Rincon_Hill

With its as-yet-unbuilt sibling

Source: http://www.socketsite.com/One%20Rinc...ill%20Fade.jpg

It is seen at the right end of the skyline in this pano shot

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Francisco

Old Posted Dec 6, 2009, 2:22 AM

For LA, the most iconic was Disney Hall and the most important was definitely Staples Center (opened Oct 99). It is the most important force in transforming Downtown in my opinion.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2009, 2:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
the BOK Center makes me want to visit Tulsa.
It really is amazing, a brand new crown jewel for a downtown that was already full of beautiful architecture

Old Posted Dec 6, 2009, 3:39 AM
amateur urbanite

Without question, Mobile's is the RSA Tower. It became the tallest building in Alabama at 745 feet at the top of the spire. It offers class A office space in the heart of downtown, while also putting Mobile on the radar, providing us with a recognizable icon. It helped reassure people that Mobile was an actual city worth investing in (on a local and national standpoint). Around the time of its construction, more businesses starting locating downtown at a much faster rate than before, and it served as a good shot in the arm for the area. It also livens up the place with its light shows (mainly at special events- Mardi Gras, Bayfest, Independence Day, Christmas, etc.).

flickr user bamaphan79

http://www.indexinn.com/countries/us...a/gallery.html

photobucket user joe_dude36606

Old Posted Dec 6, 2009, 5:04 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nouveau_Mauvilla View Post
Mobile's is the RSA Tower.
In spite of the fact that that building strikes me as a blatant imitation of the Chrysler Building, I've always liked and admired it when passing through Mobile on I-10 (which I've done a number of times). Perhaps it's that I prefer classic skyscrapers with pointed crowns.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2009, 5:20 AM

Well my city was Chicago as of just a few months ago. I think Trump had the biggest impact, largely because it was the biggest building constructed during the period. On top of that, it occupies one of the most prime locations in the city.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2009, 11:07 AM
passion for patterns

While some might say the Austonian is the skyscraper of choice for the most impact, I think it's still the Frost Tower, because it was the first skyscraper to break the 10+ year drought of significant downtown construction.

Here is a picture I took of it back in summer (on the left, Austonian is on the right)

Old Posted Dec 6, 2009, 1:04 PM
恭喜发财!

Without a doubt, it`s SWFC.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2009, 2:24 PM
don't *meddle*...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
Other honorable mentions would have the go to the buildings which have made up the new and much improved Times Square.
BofA has definitely made a huge impact on the skyline this decade. when they light up the spire it will look even more prominent.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2009, 2:59 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
BofA has definitely made a huge impact on the skyline this decade. when they light up the spire it will look even more prominent.
No doubt about it from a skyline standpoint; I was just basing my choices more on how they ‘give back’ in a positive way to the area in which they were constructed. 6th from 42nd and up has always been and always will be the quintessential ‘corporate row’.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2009, 7:37 PM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

For Cincinnati, it is without question the CAC (Contemporary Arts Center). It was the beginning of the downtown renaissance, it brought back (white) people to downtown, and spurred other developments including Fountain Square, the robot going up that's 660 feet, Underground Railroad Freedom Center, and The Banks. It was also Zaha Hadid's first American project.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com

For Columbus, the Nationwide Arena. It literally bitchslapped downtown back into shape, brought over 5,000+ residential units, served as a model for arena districts around the country, helped "cap" I-670 connecting the Short North to downtown, revitalized the North Market district, brought movie theaters, restaurants, a new ballpark, condo towers, and *YES* pancakes!

http://www.sociology.ohio-state.edu/

For Dayton, it would definately be the Schuster Center. A new condo tower and two new theaters designed by Cesar Pelli brought back (white) folks to downtown with starting off a new ballpark, canal district, Riverscape Park, new towers (CareSource, etc), and a (currently being) referbished Arcade, it was Dayton's much-needed shot in the arm.

http://www.batesline.com/archives/2008/06/20/

The main theater roof

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions