HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion

Old Posted Nov 23, 2009, 4:26 AM

BRANTFORD: Hamilton's dumber little brother?

Anyone have thoughts on Brantford's plan to demolish an enormous bulk of the historic buildings in its downtown (including what's supposed to be the longest stretch of pre-confederate buildings in Ontario?)

Just as the downtown is starting to pick up steam again too. Wanna know why? Elections next fall.

My thoughts and a couple embedded links on my Tumblr: http://social.aking.ca/post/253861939

Old Posted Nov 23, 2009, 4:47 AM
Bruatalism gets no respec

I haven't heard of that... that would be a total shame.... I've seen lots of new development near the Sanderson Theatre. And MacIsaac is moving the Mohwak Campus downtown..... something Hamilton hasn't done with Mac or Mohawk.

in fact...I think Brantford (formerly Ontario's poorest city) (formerly Hamilton's poor cousin) is showing Hamilton up.

Last edited by realcity; Nov 23, 2009 at 12:48 PM.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2009, 12:43 PM
It's Hammer Time

Sad to see happening.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2009, 1:21 PM

ridiculous

Old Posted Nov 23, 2009, 1:38 PM
arf

Sad indeed.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Nov 23, 2009, 3:31 PM

We were in Brantford on Saturday, and we out of our way just to get downtown. We talked about potential, we admired old stately homes, we marvelled at a church to living space conversion.

Hearing this is more than sad, it's criminal.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2009, 6:42 PM

Sort of like what we did 40 years ago. Hard to believe it gets worse.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2009, 6:51 PM
Registered Drug User

I'm gutted. As will be Brantford's downtown. Why the flock do people let things like this happen?

Old Posted Nov 24, 2009, 4:23 AM

Because the masses are happy as long as they are fed a steady diet of credit cards, junk tv and fast food. After consuming crap, you can't be expected to recognize or appreciate culture. How do old buildings help people get to the nearest drive-thru for a case of Coke and some onion rings and still get home in time to watch "The Biggest Loser"?

Old Posted Nov 24, 2009, 4:44 AM

^ best adam post '09.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2009, 3:27 PM

Someone told me today that the answer to downtown's problems is bulldozing.

I just don't understand how anyone can actually think that... there's no reasoning with such cluelessness!

Old Posted Nov 24, 2009, 4:52 PM

What can you do? People can be so ignorant. Most people think a new Future Shop or WalMart is a sign of progress. Anything older than "brand new" is dirty and should be demolished.

I'm not sure I believe the claim that this is the longest stretch of pre confederation buildings in Ontario. They are old, but I'm not sure they are all that old. Plus, there are a lot of old cities in Eastern Ontario that might contend for this honour.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2009, 7:33 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by coalminecanary View Post
Someone told me today that the answer to downtown's problems is bulldozing.

I just don't understand how anyone can actually think that... there's no reasoning with such cluelessness!
Brace yourself for some 'bulldozing' LTE's in the Spec. Last week we got the it's-all-the-panhandlers-fault letters. When the topic strays to downtown, it's never too long before the bulldozing trolls come out. It's the Godwin's law of Hamilton discourse.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
I'm not sure I believe the claim that this is the longest stretch of pre confederation buildings in Ontario. They are old, but I'm not sure they are all that old. Plus, there are a lot of old cities in Eastern Ontario that might contend for this honour.
You're right, in that the pre-confederate stretch is only a small portion of the buildings.. starting after the Right House (the really tall one across from Harmony Square) and continuing over to the next break in the buildings. But apparently that is the longest stretch in the province. Really, speaks more to the lack of preservation in our province than anything that this would be the longest remaining. I'd imagine its because all the other places where there are pre-confederate buildings, they are interrupted by newer buildings (or empty lots). Buildings from before Confederation tend not to be saved because in general they are simpler constructions, from what I've been told. In downtown Brantford, for instance, which was a pretty influential city fairly early on in Ontario's history, the more architecturally remarkable heritage buildings are newer ones further down this stretch, done once Ontario was really booming economically.

Some of the newer and more ornate buildings are in extremely good condition. My-Thai's building for instance -- beautiful, inside and out. And according to the most recent surveys, virtually all of them are structurally solid. Really this is not so much a case of demolition by neglect. Until this month, people were living or doing business in virtually every single one of these buildings, despite the boarded up storefronts on some of them.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2009, 8:27 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

with all due respect.... Pre-Confederate is pretty old... pre 1867. Most buildings just burned down at some point rather then torn-down.

But i agree conservation must take some blame.

Post a pic of Brantford's Right House... was that a chain of Dept Stores? or coincidence that Hamilton had one named that too?

Old Posted Nov 26, 2009, 8:55 PM

Right House was a chain. I remember my Mom driving out to St. Catharines to shop at the store there after Hamilton's Right House closed up.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2009, 1:47 AM
Hammer'd

How many of these "Right Houses" still exist in some form?
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jan 15, 2010, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator / Sr. Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
How many of these "Right Houses" still exist in some form?
You mean as operating stores? None.

Flickr®

Old Posted Jan 15, 2010, 3:04 PM
Hammer'd

Nope I just meant the buildings themselves, or maybe an idea on how many locations there were.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jan 27, 2010, 7:31 PM

There's a Facebook group that's just been started to try to raise grassroots support (in Brantford and everywhere else!) toward stopping the demolitions (41 heritage buildings, most in good structural condition!)

We're making an effort to have people raise this awful decision with the Heritage Minister, city councillors, etc.

Join! http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=264835224286

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion