HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Sep 9, 2014, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Claridge Plaza takes the cake for me. It's more than just the actual look of the building, but its location: Rideau Street deserves way better than CP. If it would have been fine if built in Gatineau or Hull (off the island), but Rideau Street!?
Sort of like Claridge's square version, La Tiffanie, in Vanier?

Old Posted Sep 9, 2014, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by defishel View Post
That's just it. Many buildings going up have some serious imperfections that should be addressed, and it is those things that people should be discussing and working to improve. Unfortunately, they aren't usually being discussed as they, and the legitimate concerns from others, are eclipsed by other people who complain about the same old, same old (height, shadows, wind tunnels, property values, etc.).
You forgot TRAFFIC!

Old Posted Sep 9, 2014, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Claridge Plaza takes the cake for me. It's more than just the actual look of the building, but its location: Rideau Street deserves way better than CP. If it would have been fine if built in Gatineau or Hull (off the island), but Rideau Street!?
I'm sorry, is there something sacred and holy about Rideau Street?

What is inconsistent about these buildings being on Rideau?

AFAIC, they have more or less exactly what I'd like to see on a street like Rideau: ground-level shops and services (could have been slightly improved by more, smaller storefronts), a wide, but not too-wide sidewalk, and no pointless "open space" or setbacks.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2014, 8:18 PM

Place de Ville Tower C (home of Transport Canada) is my top pick. It's an uninspired big brown box with a smaller brown box on top for utilities. Worst of all, it still dominates the Ottawa skyline from many views especially from the west. Up close it doesn't get any better and the street profile is all but non-existent.

The only cure for this beast is a controlled demolition, something like Building 7 of the former NYC World Trade Center.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2014, 3:35 AM
Awesome!

Add another eyesore in Gatineau right in a path of a very busy commuter corridor. The Hanson Mohawk building on Fournier Blvd, keeps on deteriorating.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.44396...7h7jYpEjUg!2e0

Of course this eyesore near St. Joseph and Montcalm - not sure if this improved much lately.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.42985...YHa1NB-Uvw!2e0
"However, the Leafs have not won the Cup since 1967, giving them the longest-active Cup drought in the NHL, and thus are the only Original Six team that has not won the Cup since the 1967 NHL expansion." Favorite phrase on the Toronto Maple Leafs Wikipedia page.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2014, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jitterbug View Post
Place de Ville Tower C (home of Transport Canada) is my top pick. It's an uninspired big brown box with a smaller brown box on top for utilities. Worst of all, it still dominates the Ottawa skyline from many views especially from the west. Up close it doesn't get any better and the street profile is all but non-existent.

The only cure for this beast is a controlled demolition, something like Building 7 of the former NYC World Trade Center.
Too soon?

I prefer to think Pruitt-Igoe...

Old Posted Sep 11, 2014, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Yup, it's ok for Vanier, but not Rideau.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
I'm sorry, is there something sacred and holy about Rideau Street?

What is inconsistent about these buildings being on Rideau?

AFAIC, they have more or less exactly what I'd like to see on a street like Rideau: ground-level shops and services (could have been slightly improved by more, smaller storefronts), a wide, but not too-wide sidewalk, and no pointless "open space" or setbacks.
Well yes actually, there is something sacred about Rideau. It's our premier street; shopping, culture, tourists, traffic (and yes, bums and drug dealers). It's the heart of the city. Our version of Downtown Yonge or rue Saint-Catherine. Only the best in Ottawa architecture should be built on Rideau and downtown. And ya, sure, it has retail, which is great, but a Rexall (the 6th or 7th pharmacy in the area)? Step it up, please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jitterbug View Post
Actually one of my favourite buildings. Classic International style and it set a precedent (along with PdV I) for taller buildings throughout downtown. Without Place de Ville, downtown would be 80 blocks of bland 110 foot buildings instead of 31 blocks of bland 300 foot buildings.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2014, 10:54 PM

My newest nominee: the Queen Elizabeth towers at the west end of Laurier. Blech.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2014, 4:09 AM

Quote:
Yup, it's ok for Vanier, but not Rideau.
Well yes actually, there is something sacred about Rideau. It's our premier street; shopping, culture, tourists, traffic (and yes, bums and drug dealers). It's the heart of the city. Our version of Downtown Yonge or rue Saint-Catherine. Only the best in Ottawa architecture should be built on Rideau and downtown. And ya, sure, it has retail, which is great, but a Rexall (the 6th or 7th pharmacy in the area)? Step it up, please!
If that's what the market settles on, as between landlord and tenant, then it's no concern of yours or mine. Though I do wish Rexall, like Shoppers, would give up on those effectively-opaque stupid "lifestyle" posters instead of real windows.

And I don't see too many tourists on Rideau east of the Rideau Centre. That's a Town part of town, not Crown.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2014, 4:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
If that's what the market settles on, as between landlord and tenant, then it's no concern of yours or mine. Though I do wish Rexall, like Shoppers, would give up on those effectively-opaque stupid "lifestyle" posters instead of real windows.

And I don't see too many tourists on Rideau east of the Rideau Centre. That's a Town part of town, not Crown.
I agree with J.OT13 about Rideau - it is Ottawa's Yonge Street. Only it's terrible as it currently is. We need to fix it up dramatically, investing in new, beautiful buildings all along it with lots of retail. Some of the social problems do need to be addressed (McDonald's is notoriously sketchy/ dangerous). But with the Rideau Centre and hopefully fixing the truck and traffic issue, there's lots of potential.

But we do need good buildings and good stores. Claridge Plaza has terrible street presence and those particular businesses, while necessities, aren't friendly.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2014, 2:53 PM

"Claridge Plaza has terrible street presence"
I agree. Rideau street is worse for it.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2014, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltodesukane View Post
"Claridge Plaza has terrible street presence"
I agree. Rideau street is worse for it.
Particularly worse when compared to what was there before- Capital Music Hall, Record Runner...

Old Posted Sep 14, 2014, 5:34 PM

Quote:
We need to fix it up dramatically, investing in new, beautiful buildings all along it with lots of retail. Some of the social problems do need to be addressed (McDonald's is notoriously sketchy/ dangerous). But with the Rideau Centre and hopefully fixing the truck and traffic issue, there's lots of potential.

But we do need good buildings and good stores. Claridge Plaza has terrible street presence and those particular businesses, while necessities, aren't friendly.
I'm glad to see people concerned about streeet level, rather than height, for once...

Old Posted Sep 14, 2014, 6:33 PM

Quote:
I agree with the sentiment, but I'm not sure either Yonge or Ste. Catherine should be held up as the epitome of great architecture. For the most part, it is quite the opposite.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2014, 7:49 PM

Good point. Yonge Street is not particularly pretty; in fact much of downtown Yonge is a bit of an eyesore. What makes it special and enjoyable is the vibe/atmosphere you get there, and all the activity there is from the sidewalk.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2014, 8:23 PM

Don't know if posted before or not.

170 Lees Av.

http://www.mainstreeter.ca/index.php...2013-deadline/

Old Posted Sep 14, 2014, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drawarc View Post
Don't know if posted before or not.

170 Lees Av.

http://www.mainstreeter.ca/index.php...2013-deadline/
Considering what it looked like before, my reaction is mild.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2014, 2:42 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Considering what it looked like before, my reaction is mild.
It's almost as exciting as this:
https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.31346...sl8r6p1VHw!2e0

Old Posted Sep 15, 2014, 5:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trans Canada View Post
Particularly worse when compared to what was there before- Capital Music Hall, Record Runner...
Wait...wasn't Capital City Music Hall the old RJ's Boom Boom Saloon? That was the ugliest building in the city!

Old Posted Sep 15, 2014, 2:25 PM

Quote:
I agree with J.OT13 about Rideau - it is Ottawa's Yonge Street. Only it's terrible as it currently is. We need to fix it up dramatically, investing in new, beautiful buildings all along it with lots of retail. Some of the social problems do need to be addressed (McDonald's is notoriously sketchy/ dangerous). But with the Rideau Centre and hopefully fixing the truck and traffic issue, there's lots of potential.
Yonge Street is also pretty terrible and somewhat sketchy north of Dundas Square to Bloor.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues