HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jan 21, 2012, 8:06 AM

Here's a map of the Toronto area showing the dominant ethnic group by census tract. You can see the big suburban Chinese area, the South Asian (mostly Punjabi) area to the NW and the other South Asian (mostly Tamil) area to the NE. The main downtown Chinatown is around the pink area near the centre.

Red = Majority Chinese (35)
Pink = Chinese are largest ethnic group but not majority (38)
Mahogany/Dark Brown = Majority South Asian (28)
Light Brown = South Asians are largest ethnic group but not majority (64)
White = Majority White
Light Grey = Whites are largest ethnic group but not majority (163)
Dark Grey = Blacks are largest ethnic group but not majority (there are no majority black census tracts) (14)
Yellow = Filipinos are largest ethnic group but not majority (there are no majority Filipino census tracts) (1)
Tan = no data (8)

Numbers in brackets are number of census tracts.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2012, 1:52 PM
Resident Jackass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cro Burnham View Post
I think the wealthy suburban Asian population in Lansdale / Montgomeryville is growing alot, but it is heavily mixed in with non-Asian populations.
It is growing a lot, their community seems to centered around the Assi supermarket on Welsh Rd. Though mostly mixed, there are a few developments in Montgomeryville where Asians are the overwhelming majority.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2012, 8:51 PM

I think the Canadian contributions add to the thread. We're talking ethnic enclaves, which are hardly unique to the U.S.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2012, 10:00 PM
pragmatist

The trend is arguably more advanced in majority-Asian, Pacific Rim cities with plenty of immigration (Vancouver, Los Angeles, Singapore), where "Chinatown" has become a shadow. I thought it was interesting that the old Chinese working class neighborhoods near Central in Hong Kong -- where the local labor that served the initial colony lived -- are gentrifying and becoming more popular with expats who want a more "authentic" experience than Central. In some sense, then, even in China the Chinatowns are disappearing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
Toronto's main downtown Chinatown is also becoming more Vietnamese...interesting that thats the case in multiple cities.
China has an extensive overseas diaspora, and many of these overseas families have various branches in many countries. Many of those who settled far away (in the Americas, for instance) have relatives who settled in Southeast Asia, and in many cases in Vietnam. The first wave of Vietnamese migrants in many cities were ethnic Chinese, who naturally felt quite at home in Chinatown, and later ethnic Vietnamese followed.

It shouldn't surprise anyone that Vietnamese immigrants, who may have been taught French in primary school, might eventually displace Chinese immigrants in Montreal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr1138 View Post
Somebody who is local can correct me if I'm wrong... I am going to (maybe naively) make this point without having actually been to this place. But isn't the Chinese enclave/municipality of Monterey Park (just east of L.A.) actually becoming more urban because of its recent ethnic shift?
There's an extensive discussion in "City of Quartz" about the political battle lines in Monterey Park. Now that it's almost exclusively Chinese, density has risen as extended families replaced the many empty-nest households, and that's led to vastly increased commercial densities as well. Monterey Park even went through a pretty contentious eminent domain process to replace some tired auto-oriented retail with a mixed-use lifestyle center:

Atlantic Times Square by Payton Chung, on Flickr

The Washington Post ran an article about the region's growing (and almost exclusively suburban) Asian population last year:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...dBH_story.html

Old Posted Jan 22, 2012, 5:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paytonc View Post
There's an extensive discussion in "City of Quartz" about the political battle lines in Monterey Park. Now that it's almost exclusively Chinese, density has risen as extended families replaced the many empty-nest households, and that's led to vastly increased commercial densities as well. Monterey Park even went through a pretty contentious eminent domain process to replace some tired auto-oriented retail with a mixed-use lifestyle center:

Atlantic Times Square by Payton Chung, on Flickr

That Atlantic Times Square development, though dense, isn't designed very well, in my opinion (and it's rather ugly). I assume they used feng shui on it, which explains the weird proportions and odd corridors. They also used a very cheap-looking veneer on it (not surprising, huh?). However, it does contain a Curry House (the Japanese restaurant chain), which opened last year, so this is the only reason why I've been there---it's now the closest Curry House to me in South Pasadena (though I still do go to the OG Little Tokyo one too).

Monterey Park has been Chinese for a while; Taiwanese people started moving there in the 1970s, and for a while it was colloquially known as "Little Taipei." It became more Cantonese later.

I work in an adjacent city called Rosemead, which also has a high Chinese as well as Vietnamese population and businesses. Rosemead was in the news a few years ago because the city wanted to shut down a Chinese poultry slaughterhouse for violations to air quality, water quality and health codes. And neighbors complained of bad odors coming from it. The owners said that it was an attack on their "Chinese culture." I actually don't know how the issue was resolved, because the place is still in business. I don't notice any odors, though, so maybe somehow that was mitigated.

I commute to Rosemead from my home in South Pasadena--once I leave the South Pasadena city limits headed south, I enter Alhambra, another city with a high Chinese population. Let me just say, that having worked in Rosemead for over a year now, and driving through Monterey Park and Alhambra more than I've ever had to before, I have to run the gauntlet of bad Chinese drivers; pho places abound in Rosemead, but Vietnamese food gets tiring after a while. I don't like dim sum either, but there are lots of dim sum places in the triumvirate of Rosemead/Monterey Park/Alhambra, and many places are cash only or "minimum $10 for credit card or debit card transactions." In other words, I need to find a new job so I can get the hell out of Rosemead; the only thing I like about Rosemead is a Chinese Islamic restaurant that's there, but I don't even go there too often.

Supposedly, the City of Industry in the San Gabriel Valley has become a popular investment area for Chinese businessmen, hence the growth in the Chinese populations of nearby Hacienda Heights and Rowland Heights. And of course Hacienda Heights has a large Taiwanese Buddhist temple (Hsi Lai Temple) that opened there in the late 1980s. At the time, it was the largest Buddhist Temple and monastery in North America. They also established Hsi Lai University at the temple in the early 1990s, which changed its name to University of the West, which is now a fully accredited degree-granting university. In the mid-90s they moved to a campus in Rosemead.

I guess the whole point of my post is that the Chinese population (as well as other Asian ethnicities) has been well established in the Los Angeles suburbs for decades. No surprise to me, though, we being on the Pacific Rim.

One entertaining aspect of working in a predominantly Chinese and Vietnamese area is that you see some interesting business signs.

This is in Monterey Park. What kind of law firm is this?

Photo by me

This is a restaurant in Rosemead. Would you eat here?

Photo by me

This is actually a Korean restaurant in the city of San Gabriel:

Photo by me

And if you're Filipino, the name of this bakery in Monterey Park would make you laugh:

Photo by me
(It says "Kiki Bakery." "Kiki" is Tagalog for vagina. Being a bakery, it gave "yeast" a new meaning for me when I first saw this.)

~ Charles Bukowski

Last edited by sopas ej; Jan 22, 2012 at 6:10 AM.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2012, 9:36 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

How does the urban Chinatown "North" compare to the main Chinatown in Chicago?

Old Posted Jan 22, 2012, 9:47 PM
恭喜发财!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post

Photo by me
Poon (the Cantonese pronunciation, Pan would be the Mandarin equivalent) is the lawyer's surname, based on reading the Chinese characters below.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2012, 1:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chemist View Post

Quote:

Photo by me
Poon (the Cantonese pronunciation, Pan would be the Mandarin equivalent) is the lawyer's surname, based on reading the Chinese characters below.
I figured that was the case, but I was alluding to the possibility that this lawyer deals with gynecologist malpractice or something.

It would've been funnier if it was the "Law Offices of Poon & Tang" or the "Law Offices of Poon-Tang."

You do know what poontang is, right?

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jan 23, 2012, 3:47 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago103 View Post
The Asian population of the city of Chicago increased by 17% in the 2010 census, it grew more in the suburbs but it shows there are plenty of Asians moving into the city and there isn't some massive move of them out of the city to the suburbs, at least not to offset other big gains. Bridgeport is actually becoming one of the most diverse neighborhoods in the city now (well aside from blacks), it is basically becoming 1/3 White, 1/3 Hispanic and 1/3 Asian.
Exactly, Chicago is seeing a huge influx of Asian immigrants right now. Even in my 3.5 years at Loyola I saw my classes go from like 10% Asian to 30 or 40% Asian. For whatever reason Chicago seems popular in Asian countries.

Its funny that someone mentioned "an Asian community north of Lakeview on Broadway". That's Argyle and it is another example of a booming Asian community in Chicago. That area is mostly Hmong/Vietnamese and went from a few run down restaurants and ethnic grocery stores to a hot strip of super nice restaurants and specialty stores that cater to the community there. There are a lot of immigrants moving into that area.

Also, Koreatown in Albany Park is not dying. It's just not growing as much as it once was. It's still an extremely vibrant place and not really gentrifying too badly. I was just out there at KKBQ for some delicious Korean BBQ the other night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowrock View Post
Oh goodie, another thread hijacked by the Torontans...
Hey we are doing our best here in Chicago to take this thread over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
How does the urban Chinatown "North" compare to the main Chinatown in Chicago?
Not sure what you are asking?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2012, 3:51 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
Its funny that someone mentioned "an Asian community north of Lakeview on Broadway". That's Argyle and it is another example of a booming Asian community in Chicago. That area is mostly Hmong/Vietnamese and went from a few run down restaurants and ethnic grocery stores to a hot strip of super nice restaurants and specialty stores that cater to the community there. There are a lot of immigrants moving into that area.
Maybe that's what I was talking about. I havent seen it and have only heard it refered to as a "Chinatown." I see that it is not a "Chinatown."

Old Posted Jan 23, 2012, 4:45 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by theWatusi View Post
It is growing a lot, their community seems to centered around the Assi supermarket on Welsh Rd. Though mostly mixed, there are a few developments in Montgomeryville where Asians are the overwhelming majority.
That Assi is kind of a super-regional destination for East Asians of whatever extract living in the northern and western suburbs. Some of my girlfriend's friends live in King of Prussia and they say it's the closest Asian supermarket.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Jan 23, 2012, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
Maybe that's what I was talking about. I havent seen it and have only heard it refered to as a "Chinatown." I see that it is not a "Chinatown."
I dont know what the locals from that area call it but we, my family who are filipinos, call it Argyle; or Ive heard it called Vietnamese town or even little saigon once in a while as well. Its not a "chinatown" but there do seem to be some ethnic chinese there, maybe they are chinese from vietnam?

Anyway, it doesnt really compare to the chinatown on the southside, since it is so much smaller. But it has a lot of good restaurants and little shops and grocery stores - most are vietnamese, but ive seen a couple of thai ones. My relatives always goes there to shop because the items there are cheap, and they have a lot of filipino-style groceries there as well. Definitely worth a visit, i recommend Tank, they have good pho.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2012, 6:28 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I figured that was the case, but I was alluding to the possibility that this lawyer deals with gynecologist malpractice or something.

It would've been funnier if it was the "Law Offices of Poon & Tang" or the "Law Offices of Poon-Tang."

You do know what poontang is, right?
Young Dong is also on Wilshire in Ktown. For those not up on Asian and American slang, poon and dong are genital references.

Chinese, Korean and Vietnamese restaurants seem to yield lots of expletives.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2012, 7:21 PM
Super Moderator / Sr. Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesto View Post
For those not up on stupid semi-racist white trash slang, poon and dong are genital references.
There, fixed it for ya.

Flickr®

Old Posted Jan 23, 2012, 9:51 PM
video et taceo

i don't think the etymology there is racial in origin.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2012, 1:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post

"For those not up on stupid semi-racist white trash slang, poon and dong are genital references."

There, fixed it for ya.
Um, I guess American cultural references are lost on you? "Dong" seems to be understood to mean "penis" among all ethnicities who've grown up in the United States, as well as "poon" being short for "poontang" or "punani," which, depending on whom you ask, the latter word is either Hawaiian or Jamaican in origin, which means a woman's vulva or vadge.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jan 24, 2012, 2:28 AM
BANNED

Yes some Asian words are American slang for genitals. Hilarious stuff. Are we in the 6th grade again?

Old Posted Jan 24, 2012, 2:40 AM

I don't know about you, but if I were to name a restaurant in the United States, I wouldn't name it My Dung.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jan 24, 2012, 2:59 AM
Never Dell

Quote:
Originally Posted by all of the trash View Post
Yes some Asian words are American slang for genitals. Hilarious stuff. Are we in the 6th grade again?
I'm happy to report that despite being in my early 40s, toilet humor is still amusing. At some point some people stop taking things so seriously. Though racial humor is still a no-no.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2012, 1:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
Exactly, Chicago is seeing a huge influx of Asian immigrants right now. Even in my 3.5 years at Loyola I saw my classes go from like 10% Asian to 30 or 40% Asian. For whatever reason Chicago seems popular in Asian countries.

Also, Koreatown in Albany Park is not dying. It's just not growing as much as it once was. It's still an extremely vibrant place and not really gentrifying too badly. I was just out there at KKBQ for some delicious Korean BBQ the other night.

Hey we are doing our best here in Chicago to take this thread over.

Not sure what you are asking?
I agree that the Asian population is growing fast in Chicago. But I disagree with two points.

The Argyle area is rapidly dying. The immediate zip code that includes that strip on Argyle lost 45% of it's Asian population from 2000-2010 and the surrounding zip codes lost 25%.

Koreatown is a joke. What are there, like 3 Koreans now. They all left to the suburbs. The area is vibrant, diverse, and there certainly are some yuppies like you said but aside from some Korean businesses that are still there, hold outs, the Korean population is basically gone.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions