HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 3:31 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post

If this were a new-build, I'd be pretty skeptical of the design. But I am optimistic that given the structure they are working with, it will end up being cooler than you might otherwise think. In particular, I am hopeful that sense of having cut into very thick walls will come through.
I hope they leave the smiling fish on. That would be a cute reminder of the buildings history.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 3:55 PM
Eurosceptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Pride View Post
I hope they leave the smiling fish on. That would be a cute reminder of the buildings history.
Agreed.

I don't see any reason to complain about the rendering. It may not be dazzling us with curvy glass... but it's quite the conversion when you think about it.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 6:51 PM

Thirded on the smiling fish. That was my first concern with the conversion. lol.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2012, 12:46 AM

Lot 24 (3/8/12)

Digging and pouring more concrete. Taken this morning, prior to the monsoons rolling in.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2012, 3:19 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Wow, for the first time in over 50 yrs, the street grid between downtown and the hill district, connecting Pennslvania's 2nd and 3rd largest employment centers (Downtown Pgh and Oakland) after downtown Philly is being reconnected! I can't see how this could be anything but good.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12069/1215453-28.stm

"City-Allegheny County Sports & Exhibition Authority board members took the first step toward transforming the property Thursday by awarding a $1.9 million contract to Michael Baker Jr. Inc. to do preliminary and final design work related to a new street grid and other infrastructure improvements."

Unfortunately this is merely a reversal of urban planning mistakes from the 50s/60s but that's better progress than some cities can say.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2012, 6:37 PM
Hell with the Lid Off.

Quote:
"City-Allegheny County Sports & Exhibition Authority board members took the first step toward transforming the property Thursday by awarding a $1.9 million contract to Michael Baker Jr. Inc. to do preliminary and final design work related to a new street grid and other infrastructure improvements."

Unfortunately this is merely a reversal of urban planning mistakes from the 50s/60s but that's better progress than some cities can say.
I agree that this is a first step in the right direction. I would love to see this as an extention in some ways of the downtown business district. But I'm sure local parties involved would shy away from repeating the mistakes of past. Redevelopment will be seen as trying fix past wrongs. So I see more residential housing and apartments, parks, some shops. Than I see a big public market type area. The Hill district will call the shots on this one.

Last edited by daviderik; Mar 9, 2012 at 6:50 PM.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2012, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBone7281 View Post
Lot 24 (3/8/12)

Digging and pouring more concrete. Taken this morning, prior to the monsoons rolling in.

LOL look how dingy Pittburg looks. The promo pics are sooo much sexier

Old Posted Mar 9, 2012, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Wow, for the first time in over 50 yrs, the street grid between downtown and the hill district, connecting Pennslvania's 2nd and 3rd largest employment centers (Downtown Pgh and Oakland) after downtown Philly is being reconnected! I can't see how this could be anything but good.
Definitely a good thing, but I hope they plan on connecting both Wylie and Webster through to the bridges--I've seen plans indicating only Wylie would connect through, which would be a missed opportunity in my view.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2012, 9:48 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTP View Post
Yeah i kinda agree. I'm getting sick of seeing this angle and the daily pile of dirt. It's not very flattering.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2012, 10:26 PM

Don't listen to the haters--I appreciate the pictorial updates, and in general they are full of Rust Belt Chic.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2012, 8:10 PM

Quote:
I agree. It's almost as iconic as the Heinz Ketchup sign.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2012, 3:40 AM

Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by daviderik View Post
I agree that this is a first step in the right direction. I would love to see this as an extention in some ways of the downtown business district. But I'm sure local parties involved would shy away from repeating the mistakes of past. Redevelopment will be seen as trying fix past wrongs. So I see more residential housing and apartments, parks, some shops. Than I see a big public market type area. The Hill district will call the shots on this one.
Let me be the first to welcome you to the Pittsburgh discussion thread as well as to the SSP forum! I, too, am rather excited to see the street grid coming back. I think they're going to develop this as a mixed-use development (residential, retail, office, maybe some hotel). I know that the earlier renderings were suggesting something on the order of 12-story buildings, but given how close this is to the urban core, I'd like to see something even more dense go up here...

Old Posted Mar 11, 2012, 3:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTP View Post
Winter in the strip district, pretty typical.

Quote:
Yeah i kinda agree. I'm getting sick of seeing this angle and the daily pile of dirt. It's not very flattering.
You'll live.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2012, 4:10 AM
Hell with the Lid Off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy1983 View Post
Let me be the first to welcome you to the Pittsburgh discussion thread as well as to the SSP forum! I, too, am rather excited to see the street grid coming back. I think they're going to develop this as a mixed-use development (residential, retail, office, maybe some hotel). I know that the earlier renderings were suggesting something on the order of 12-story buildings, but given how close this is to the urban core, I'd like to see something even more dense go up here...
Thankyou Jonboy!

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 2:24 PM

I have to say that I browsed the diagram section of the site for the first time in a while and it was the first time that I saw the new PNC tower and 3 PNC sitting among Pittsburgh's others.

Very cool to see.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 4:37 PM

I took a walk during my lunch break today and it looks like they are making some really quick progress in the demolition for the new PNC tower. I also noticed it looks like they are starting to prep for the demolition for The Gardens at Market Square. I hope we get to see both projects being built right next to each other.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 5:03 PM
Eurosceptic

http://www.bizjournals.com/pittsburg...certified.html

Quote:
Mylan's new HQ will be LEED-certified

Pittsburgh Business Times
Date: Monday, March 12, 2012, 7:13am EDT

Mylan Inc. confirmed late Friday that it would build a new 280,000-square-foot headquarters at Southpointe II.

The cost for the five-story LEED-certified building on Town Center Boulevard near its current headquarters wasn't announced. The building will be built sometime in 2013.

In a statement, Mylan Inc. (Nasdaq: MYL) Executive Chairman Robert J. Coury said that Mylan's growth as a company led to the need for a new headquarters and it is expected to continue in the future.

"In order to support our expanding business, we have more than doubled the number of employees located at our corporate headquarters in this same time frame, and we would expect hiring in the area to continue," Coury said.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 5:10 PM
Eurosceptic

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_786057.html

Quote:
Excitement builds for Edgewater at Oakmont development

By Jodi Weigand, VALLEY NEWS DISPATCH
Monday, March 12, 2012

A line of "Courtyard" homes constructed by Heartland Homes sits in the Edgewater at Oakmont development on Wednesday, March 7. Homes at the development have been selling quickly, putting it on pace to be completed two years earlier than expected.
Jason Bridge | Valley News Dispatch

Homes at the $100 million Edgewater at Oakmont housing development have been selling quickly, putting it on pace to be completed two years earlier than expected.

The 34-acre development on the Allegheny River, located near Oakmont's border with Verona, is being built on the site of the former Edgewater Steel plant, which closed 10 years ago.

Murrysville development firm Kacin Companies received a $7.7 million loan in 2008 to clean up contaminated soil on the property.

"I've watched the entire development rise from the ashes," said Oakmont Mayor Robert Fescemyer, who lives five blocks away from the development on College Avenue and drives through about once a week to check the progress. "That's probably our last bastion; we have no other property we can expand on."

The site is to include as many as 240 homes in a combination of condos, town homes and single-family homes — all with customizable floor plans — as well as an apartment building. Retail and office properties also are planned. The homes are built to be energy-efficient; Kacin participates in the LEED — Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design — via the U.S. Green Building Council.

About one quarter of the homes have been completed, are under construction or are under contract, said Jason Corna, broker for Edgewater Realty.

A dozen homes sold this year and 43 were closed on in 2011. Of the 14 riverfront properties, just three remain unsold, Corna said.

So far, 11 detached homes, 18 town homes and two "paired" homes are completed or are in the final stages of construction.

Those who have bought homes range in age from 21 to 85 and hail from California, Arizona and Boston and from throughout the Pittsburgh region.

"It's exactly what we wanted," said Ann Galm, 53. She and her husband Randy moved from Penn Township, Westmoreland County, into their new home in December. "We had been looking (for a home) here for two years."

Blends with community

Galm said what attracted them to Edgewater, where homes purchased this year have sold for between $412,000 and $611,000, was that it is in walking distance of Oakmont's shops, restaurants and walking trail and an easy drive to the city of Pittsburgh and other suburbs.

"It's a place where you can be active," she said.

Edgewater was designed as an extension of Oakmont by continuing the streets and neighborhood feel with tree-lined streets, sidewalks, alleyways and on-street parking.

"We put a lot of effort and time into fitting it into the community," Corna said.

A commercial area will be located along Allegheny Avenue, which Kacin extended into the development. It's slated to include a grocery store, bank, coffee shop and two restaurants.

Bruce Jamison, Oakmont borough manager, said residents who live near the development are happy with the change.

"There were some complaints during cleanup and demolition of the site, but then they put up with Edgewater for all those years," he said. "It's a nice change to a property that was considered blighted."

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 11:55 PM

Moving to Pittsburgh

Exciting to see some skyline altering projects taking form in Pittsburgh on top of what is imo a beautiful city w/ a treasure trove of historic structures.

I am relocating to Pittsburgh from my current residence in downtown Indianapolis and looking forward to watching the progress.

I have been following this thread for a few weeks trying to get a feel for what is happening in the city along with accessing other resources like PDP, Post Gazette, City Paper, Trib Live etc...

I am used to living in a walkable urban area from living in Boston and most recently Downtown Indy and I am looking to replicate that in Pittsburgh.

What neighborhoods / resources would you folks point a prospective resident to in determining a place to live?

Carson street seems a tad young for me @ 32, Shadyside is a little east for a guy that will be traveling west by car or air much of the time (work from home/road warrior). The Strip District and the North Shore both dont seem to be there yet (Mexican War streets however are friggin cool, I wish these were right up along the Monongahowever you pronounce it). Downtown / Cultural District is my favorite so far but I havent seen it on a weekend or many evenings to know if in fact there is a community there or just a shell after the whistle blows... Probably rent for a year. I checked out 201 Stanwix, RiverVue, Encore, Penn-Garrison, Pennsylvanian, Market Square. Mrkt Sq was by far the favorite for a 1 bedroom based on location and it was about the only one that didnt have wall to wall carpeting.

Sorry for the public appeal for info but my my hunch is the posters on this forum are "in the know" on the best places to live. Feel free to send a note instead of public post if you like. Thanks.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 12:02 AM

Nice to see Edgewater doing well--I think we will end up needing as many new walkable neighborhoods like that as we can cram into the core area.

If I wasn't a family man and could comfortably afford it, I would live Downtown in a heartbeat. New stuff is opening there all the time, places are starting to add weekend hours, and it is just going to keep getting better.

The Central North Side is another great choice, again with a lot of positive momentum.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations