HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 27, 2012, 5:38 AM
testify

so i took a stroll and had a burger at polker burger (pretty good, for those who haven't tried it), and grabbed a few shots along the way. i think i've either seen or posted renders for all of these buildings, but i can't find them now, i think maybe it was under my old user name. anyway, i might update this post with those tomorrow if i have a few minutes to dig around, in the meantime, some lower nob/polk gulch construction updates:

sutter street infill, i think the address is 995 (at hyde st):

on the sutter street frontage, looking nicely integrated, with another floor to go. no commercial at grade on this one:

here's a view of the back from the hyde street side, with the parking egress

down the block, on a long time parking lot, some sutter street infill steel and concrete (at larkin). some rebar is poking up, and though i didn't snap a photo, it's nearly built out to grade. i can't find the rendering, but it'll go pretty high, i think 7 stories, and this one will have retail at the ground level:

everyone's favorite van ness former cinema site, from the sutter street approach, not a great photo but it captures the context and scale of the project:

pine street infill (again, i know i've posted extensively on this one, but i can't find it), between polk and larkin the retail wall is extended all the way down to the school, pleasing me immensely, in spite of my horror at the design:

polk and pacific, doing a great job of extending the retail wall to enliven a previously dead corner:

Old Posted Aug 27, 2012, 1:59 PM

I love all these 'Paris Scale' infill developments popping up throughout San Francisco. I think it's a perfect template for further development in The City.

Although it's a far fetched notion and quite unlikely to ever happen, I can imagine 6-8 floor mixed-use developments bordering the entirety of Golden Gate Park.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2012, 4:29 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Thanks for all those updates, easy as pie (can I call you pie? ). There is an amazing amount of this scale of construction going on that isn't quite big enough to get attention outside its neighborhood unless you happen to stumble upon it. Do you mind if I ask what your old screen name was? Just curious. Thanks again!

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Aug 28, 2012, 10:21 AM

Wow, thanks for all the shots. I had no idea about a lot of these projects. My friend teaches at music to kids at Bird, I was surprised to see that new building going up next to it.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2012, 10:44 PM

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/place/...gh-3819737.php
Quote:
There's one thing wrong with the handsome residential tower proposed at 706 Mission St. in San Francisco - the location.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2012, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwards View Post
http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/place/...gh-3819737.php

Quote:
There's one thing wrong with the handsome residential tower proposed at 706 Mission St. in San Francisco - the location.
The location is great. John King just has his head up his ass half the time.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2012, 2:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech12 View Post
Agreed. Also, Socketsite rendered the tower at about 25 stories (the height JK recommended).

Source: www.socketsite.com

It looks absolutely ridiculous. It needs to, regardless of design, at least obstruct that blob of concrete to the north.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2012, 5:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech12 View Post
I don't think there has been one development in SF that John King does not think would be better if it was shorter. I wished we were as lucky as other city newspapers that no longer have architecture critics spewing nonsense every other week. Next time they need to do some cost cutting, I see a perfect place to start.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2012, 5:13 AM

^yeah, having "his head up his ass half the time" is probably an understatement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1977 View Post
Agreed. Also, Socketsite rendered the tower at about 25 stories (the height JK recommended).

Source: www.socketsite.com

It looks absolutely ridiculous. It needs to, regardless of design, at least obstruct that blob of concrete to the north.
I'd take a 25 story tower over nothing, but yeah that would be ridiculous. The fact that John King thinks a 550' tower in the heart of downtown SF would be "overwhelming", especially when there are multiple 400'+ towers surrounding the site (including the nearly 500' St. Regis tower on the opposite corner), is just mind-boggling. He's either blind, or has horrible taste...then again, he is the guy who was praising the architecture on a suburban big box store several years back, if I remember right, so I guess we shouldn't be surprised.

Hopefully the naysayers don't gain any traction on blocking this one.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2012, 6:15 AM
Only Mostly Dead

I'll never understand King's fascination with making everything shorter. Here are some other projects he'd probably like to chop down.

333 Fremont:

Here's the hole for 333 Fremont. I'm pretty sure King wrote that this hole should have been twice as deep so less of the building would have to rise above ground level:

Here's the latest on the Rene Cazenave Apartments at Folsom and Essex. Just imagine the shadows this thing will cast! Should have been left at 1 story:

680 Folsom's floor expansion is well underway:

But the jerks are ruining our city by adding three floors:

I also posted construction updates to ORH2 and Foundry Square III.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Last edited by peanut gallery; Aug 29, 2012 at 6:28 AM.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2012, 7:38 AM

1600 Market - Demolition about to start.

I walked by 1600 Market Street today & yes JBM, the project is about to start. Obviously Cahill Construction is going to build the 9 story residential building. Amazing amount of building happening on Market Street between 10th Street & Noe Street. The colorful grafitte appeared a short time ago. The current building has to be one of the most unattractive buildings on Market Street & couple of months after it is torn down people will be wondering what was there before.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2012, 7:40 AM
heavy user of walkability

waterfront

uh-oh, pg's on the prowl again, better post something quick before he gets there first!

a few updates from along the Embarcadero... first, the concrete piles for Brannan St Wharf are popping up (future Warriors Arena in the background) - looking north:

and the Exploratorium at Pier 15 is coming along (kinda hard to get good shots of this). from across the Embarcadero:

closer:

a better view of the section of the pier they opened up between piers 15 and 17:

and, looking south (from the side):

further along, at Pier 27 is what will be the main event area for the America's Cup, then the new cruise ship terminal:

across the Embarcadero up there is a leafy patch at one extreme of Levi's Plaza:

Old Posted Aug 29, 2012, 7:58 AM

Nice pics timbad - I have not been on the waterfront lately - a lot has happened of late. I'm so glad to see a cruise terminal being built. I went through the old one for a cruise & it was an embarrasment.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2012, 8:03 AM

750 Second St

and a couple shots of what might be my favorite under-construction building at the moment, the one behind Momo's on Second St. they've done a great job keeping it varied and contextual - interesting to look at but not jarring in its surroundings.

from the north:

from slightly south:

closer:

and head-on, street level:

Old Posted Aug 29, 2012, 8:17 AM

1600 Market - Drawing of building?

I found this architectual drawing at the San Francisco Planning Department's web site ( http://sf-planning.org/ftp/files/notice/2007.0966V.pdf ). If this is the structure that will be built it is 6 stories and not 9 stories like the rendering shown about a year earlier, and not as nice as the propsed glass structure.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2012, 9:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry of San Fran View Post
I walked by 1600 Market Street today & yes JBM, the project is about to start. Obviously Cahill Construction is going to build the 9 story residential building. Amazing amount of building happening on Market Street between 10th Street & Noe Street. The colorful grafitte appeared a short time ago. The current building has to be one of the most unattractive buildings on Market Street & couple of months after it is torn down people will be wondering what was there before.

I saw the new renderings of 1600 Market, it looks so bland now. What a shame.
Love that graffiti!

Timbad, are you joking about the new Warriors arena? I'm out of the country for a few months, did I miss something?

Old Posted Aug 29, 2012, 1:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberEric View Post
Timbad, are you joking about the new Warriors arena? I'm out of the country for a few months, did I miss something?
Long way to go still, but yes, the Warriors are trying to build an arena on Piers 30-32 by 2017:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=199507

Old Posted Aug 29, 2012, 3:11 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbad View Post
uh-oh, pg's on the prowl again, better post something quick before he gets there first!
Ha Ha! We're actually coordinated this week. Looks like we covered totally different projects for once!

Thanks for all the waterfront updates. I haven't thought to check any of those out in awhile. And I'm with you on the Second St condos. They look great in context: original and interesting, yet a good fit with their surroundings.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2012, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCowboy View Post
Long way to go still, but yes, the Warriors are trying to build an arena on Piers 30-32 by 2017:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=199507
Thanks! Interesting. Seems like a long shot to me, but who knows, these guys have a lot of money to throw around.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2012, 4:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
Ha Ha! We're actually coordinated this week. Looks like we covered totally different projects for once!
yeah, we did good, haha! here is a random stray I left out of the earlier sets: the project on Ninth next to the Twitterquarters (seen on the left). looking north toward Market:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations