HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Jul 25, 2006, 10:07 PM
Finger Lickin' Good.

^

Old Posted Jul 25, 2006, 10:09 PM

I shouldn't have to go to Bay Area to have my memories built

~lla Collin

Amen!!!

Old Posted Jul 25, 2006, 10:18 PM

Nottoli votes yes! We win!

Old Posted Jul 25, 2006, 10:36 PM

Excellent. Now comes the harder part. Getting it to pass.

I did like the fact that Peters said her emails was 152 for it, and 72 against it. Dickinson and Collin were also quoted as saying their emails were heavy in favor as well

Old Posted Jul 25, 2006, 10:41 PM
Repeat!

Woohoo!!!

Old Posted Jul 25, 2006, 10:50 PM
Finger Lickin' Good.

Hooray! Now we just need it again next week

Old Posted Jul 25, 2006, 10:54 PM
my posse's on broadway

i think the truth is that everybody wants a new arena, but a few people don't want any additional tax.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2006, 11:39 PM

I'm so happy for Sacramento!!! Naysayers be damned!

Old Posted Jul 25, 2006, 11:44 PM
my posse's on broadway

my favorite Majin quote ever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin

I'm a nay-sayer.

And I say nay.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2006, 11:50 PM
Megalonorcal 11M~

I love the misinformation by the media. Here is a quote from KOVR 13 "Half of the money would go to an entertainment district, the other half for a brand new arena to house the Sacramento Kings."

Oh really? This is news to me.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2006, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma99a
I love the misinformation by the media. Here is a quote from KOVR 13 "Half of the money would go to an entertainment district, the other half for a brand new arena to house the Sacramento Kings."

Oh really? This is news to me.
We've already established that noone watches KOVR 13 and this is exactly why!

Old Posted Jul 26, 2006, 12:00 AM
Megalonorcal 11M~

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuhickman79
We've already established that noone watches KOVR 13 and this is exactly why!
KOVR's website also had a 60/40 NO vote for the tax. Now you can see why.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2006, 8:10 AM

Arena plan moves toward ballot
A November vote on tax hike is likely.
By Mary Lynne Vellinga and Terri Hardy -- Bee Staff Writers

Published 12:01 am PDT Wednesday, July 26, 2006

http://www.sacbee.com/content/news/s...15089912c.html

After listening to four hours of sometimes emotional testimony, the Sacramento County Board of Supervisors moved ahead Tuesday with a plan to ask voters for a quarter-cent sales tax increase to build a new Kings arena.

The $1.2-billion measure also is intended to fund community projects in the county and its cities.

The 4-1 vote in all likelihood means residents will vote on the increased sales tax in November, along with an advisory measure asking whether they support spending about half the money for the arena.

A final vote is scheduled for Aug. 2, but it is considered a formality.

"The board took a good look at what was presented to them and agreed with me that it's a good business deal," said Supervisor Roger Dickinson, who helped negotiate the deal with the Maloof family, which owns the Kings. "This is the perfect kind of issue to put on the ballot because people are paying attention, and they feel strongly."

But Supervisor Roberta MacGlashan, the sole "no" vote, said although she agrees Arco must be replaced -- and doesn't object to public financing -- she takes issue with the county's strategy of proposing a "general tax," which requires only majority approval from voters.

MacGlashan said the majority of the county's voters approved Proposition 218 in 1996, which requires a two-thirds vote on specific tax increases. "I don't think 58 percent of the voters intended for us to find creative ways to not apply that requirement," she said.

Joe and Gavin Maloof told supervisors that after several attempts to put the arena issue before voters, they were excited by this opportunity.

"It's very controversial; it's what we expected," said Joe Maloof. "I feel comfortable that we're putting a deal before voters that's fair for everyone involved."

The meeting was a raucous affair, with applause, boos and shouted comments from the audience. In one exchange, Margaret Williams of Tahoe Park, who brought her two young sons along, asked Dickinson to explain to them why "mommy should invest in an arena instead of their milk."

"I can relate to the Kings' plight because we, too, live in an aging facility that doesn't meet our needs," she said, referring to her 850-square-foot house.

At the start of the hearing, the meeting room was packed, with overflow attendees watching from chairs in the lobby.

About 60 people signed up to speak, including public officials, business leaders and activists. The number of opponents and proponents of the plan appeared to be evenly split.

Supporters argued the arena would help revitalize the dormant downtown railyard and assure the city's future as a dynamic place.

Some said losing the Kings and Arco Arena would be a major loss for the quality of life in Sacramento.

A new arena and entertainment complex would "take our region to the next level," said James Hofmann, a River Park resident. "I don't want to have to go to San Francisco to be entertained; I don't want to have to travel to Marysville to be entertained."

James Battles, 39, said the arena could serve as a catalyst for the railyard development.

"Since I was 15 years old, I've heard about the redevelopment of the railyard, but it's never come to pass," he said. "Now we have the opportunity to put something exciting down there."

Opponents said money would be better spent on more urgent community needs such as flood protection, low-income housing, law enforcement, schools and programs to keep youths from getting caught up in crime.

"The gangs on the south side, they give the kids summer jobs," said Chris Jones, a representative of California ACORN, an activist group. "The county and the city aren't giving them jobs."

Assemblyman Dave Jones, the only elected official besides MacGlashan who spoke against the proposal, said he feared it would hurt the chances for passage of the $4.15 billion statewide flood protection bond, also on the November ballot, which would provide Sacramento with badly needed funds for levee repairs.

"Putting an arena on the ballot now will seriously jeopardize our top priority, and that is flood control," he said.

If voters approve the measure in November, it will raise Sacramento's sales tax rate to 8 percent for 15 years.

A minimum of $594 million raised by the measure would go to the county and its cities for unspecified local projects. No payments would go to the communities for about seven years, until an arena construction loan is repaid.

The deal negotiated with the Maloofs has pegged the cost of the arena and a parking structure at $470 million to $542 million. Interest on a construction loan would add between $35 million and $51 million.

The public joint powers authority created to build the arena would own the facility. It would oversee the building's design and construction and be responsible for cost overruns.

The Maloofs would sign a lease to keep the Kings and Monarchs in Sacramento for 30 years and pay off -- in a lump sum -- an existing loan from the city of nearly $71 million. They would pay an average of $4 million annually in rent for 30 years and put $20 million in a capital repair reserve fund.

The Maloofs would maintain the building and keep proceeds from events, parking and concessions. They would also control lucrative naming rights for the new facility, which would anchor a planned sports and entertainment district in the downtown railyard.

Politicians in the thick of the arena discussion say the debate is likely to get much louder before November.

Assemblyman Jones pointed out that previous polling has shown a solid majority against taxpayer financing for an Arco replacement.

"Voters have common sense and recognize this is not in their interest," he said.

But three of the supervisors voting for the plan -- Dickinson, Illa Collin and Susan Peters -- said hundreds of e-mails they're receiving reflect an overwhelming majority in favor. At Tuesday's meeting, Peters slapped a stack of 130 or so e-mails on the dais in front of her chair, saying they opposed the deal. Then she flopped down 752 e-mails she said she had received in support.

Dickinson said his more than 700 e-mails were running "10 to one in favor of this thing going on the ballot."

Supervisor Don Nottoli also approved the measure.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2006, 9:03 AM
Finger Lickin' Good.

^ I saw that, and was going to post it. Great news!

Old Posted Jul 26, 2006, 3:26 PM
Kodachrome

Damn Graswich... I hope the Maloofs can change the trend of how
most of the media is reporting this arean deal, when it's actually going to
be owned by the City.

R.E. Graswich: When arena votes are tallied, support of Maloof brothers won't count
By R.E. Graswich -- Bee Columnist
Published 12:01 am PDT Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Vote early: Billionaire Kings owners Joe and Gavin Maloof are eager for Sacramento County residents to cough up more than $500 million for a new Maloof arena. The Maloof lads want your money -- and your vote. But Joe and Gavin can't vote themselves. They aren't registered voters in Sacramento County. And despite their claims of being Sacramento residents, Joe and Gavin won't drop their official Nevada addresses between now and November. "We're not citizens," Joe said. "We vote in Nevada. No, we're not going to change that." Sacramento County elections official Brad Buyse confirmed the brothers aren't registered voters here. The Maloofs have bristled over suggestions they are carpetbaggers from Las Vegas. The brothers argue they have lived in Sacramento for eight years. Indeed, they have two homes in a gated neighborhood in Natomas. But when it comes to voting, both brothers are pure Nevadans. Joe votes at Christensen Elementary School in Las Vegas. Gavin marks his ballots at Las Vegas Durango High School. Both are registered Democrats, voting records show. …

http://www.sacbee.com/content/news/s...15089944c.html

Old Posted Jul 26, 2006, 4:16 PM

I think he is right on the generation gap. I really wish they would focus some atttention to the other stuff that would happen as well.

Marcos Bretón: Generation gap may exist on arena issue
By Marcos Bretón -- Bee Sports Columnist

Building a new downtown arena for the Kings with huge sums of taxpayer money is headed for a ballot box near you this November. And with it comes a passionate civic debate on community identity that may split along generational lines.

That was the case Tuesday at the county Board of Supervisors meeting where four of five county representatives voted that the arena issue should go before voters this fall

Now come the formalities of approving ballot language next week. But Tuesday -- in the most critical arena meeting before Election Day -- this beef seemed split evenly, with a few exceptions.

On one side were largely older people -- in their 50s and above -- who are staunchly against a quarter-cent sales tax to fund a Kings arena.

And on the other were folks in their 20s, 30s and 40s who see an arena in the abandoned Union Pacific railyard as a momentous possibility for Sacramento.

These people argue that building a massive sports and entertainment complex would change Sacramento's oft-suffering community identity for the better.

"It's a step forward," said Jim Battles, a 39-year-old acute care nurse who grew up in Sacramento. "The truth is that Sacramento is growing up and we need to decide what kind of community we're going to be."

People such as Battles don't care the new arena deal that will come before voters is stacked in favor of the Kings' owners, the Maloof family.

They don't care that the Maloofs will keep all the profits from all arena events.

They don't care that the Maloofs won't pay a dime of any cost overrun if the arena project exceeds an estimated price tag of $470 million to $542 million.

And they don't care that the Maloofs' contribution to arena costs will be around 11 percent or 13 percent, not 26 percent to 30 percent as arena proponents allege.

In addition, the Maloofs' arena costs will be fixed, while the city and county are on the hook if they spiral out of control.

These deals are similar to others in small NBA markets, and to arena proponents are well worth paying for.

"(A new arena) is an investment in Sacramento," Battles said.

Yet the emerging details are enough to outrage even those voters who like the Kings well enough -- but aren't willing to pay the price for the current deal.

"This is a giveaway of public dollars," said Emanuel Gale, an 80-year-old professor emeritus of social work and gerontology at Sacramento State.

Tuesday, Gale asked supervisors what the estimated revenues would be at a new Kings arena and got blank stares and shrugs in return.

That's a no-no question in the professional sports world, one nobody wants to answer or claims not to know the answer to.

And herein lies an ethical and philosophical barrier that some can't stomach in this arena deal.

Based on the objections raised Tuesday -- and on many, if not most, of those I get on the street, and in my voice mail and e-mail -- I would argue that older folks have the hardest time with these sordid deals of big-time sports.

Meanwhile, others point to societal needs unmet and wonder why Sacramento would commit millions to a downtown arena whose revenues would flow solely to the Maloofs.

Tuesday, one woman spoke of attending many candlelight vigils for youth slain in Sacramento. Others talked of going hungry in our city.

They asked: If Arco Arena is obsolete for the Maloofs, where was the sales tax for the untold numbers who live in obsolete homes in Sacramento?

It was an amazing exercise, two completely different arguments on one issue, under one roof, in one city. Neither one really addressed the other.

Because for every sad story, there was the expressed hope of a new place for Sacramentans to have fun, take their children and share a sense of community pride.

And it seems that in some respects, that's how this arena election is going to turn -- on the question of which group is more passionate -- those whose memories are largely set and who smell an odious deal, or those looking to make new memories in a new Sacramento, no matter what the Maloofs get out of it?

Old Posted Jul 26, 2006, 4:57 PM
my posse's on broadway

I don't know who this Jim Battles is... but I like his style.

Yes I totally agree with the generation gap theory. At this point, I plan on spending the next 30-40 years, of my life in Sacramento. I'm not really interested in lining my pockets or protecting my fixed income. I'm interested in building upon a city where I plan to settle for a long time, and to supply myself and the next generations with the benefits of these civic ambitions.

I just couldn't look my kids in the eyes and tell them that we could have had an arena in the Railyards, but I decided to stick it to "The Man" and get an extra Happy Meal each month, instead.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2006, 7:12 PM

Also, it makes me laugh when I hear people talk about how they can't go to Kings game because it's too expensive.

You can go to a game and pay a whopping $10 per ticket, add a couple bucks for tickermaster chage and that's $12 a ticket. Don't want to pay the high prces for bad food..guess what? Try eating at home before the game. Don't want to pay $8 for a beer? Kill a 6 pack in the parking lot before the game

Don't want to pay for parking? Park at the Safeway or Raley's and walk 15 mins. You can go to a Kings game for about the same price as going to a movie or 2 daily Starbuck runs. There are cheap ways to go to a game. You don't have to sit front court with 3 beers and 2 hot dogs to be at the game and enjoy yourself

Last edited by sugit; Jul 26, 2006 at 7:35 PM.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2006, 7:20 PM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugit
Urban!!!! Well said big man!!!!!

In case you missed it, Urban was just up there

LOL,,,

That was actually fun, but unfortunately i ran out of time..

i had to do my part before heading back to Chicago (where i will cast an absentee vote in favor).. I'm trying to convince as many friends and family who are against this before i head back....

Old Posted Jul 26, 2006, 8:05 PM

I like the idea of a new arena if it is connected to the rest of downtown in a walkable way.
I am ok with the tax to get the project funded, but after the arena is built and profitting a) Will the tax return to its current rate? b) Can the City be repaid, at least in the form of profit-sharing, and at least until the loan is repaid? (the school system could totally use it, as mentioned below)
Can the tax be on something more specific to entertainment? I really don't think its fair to people on fixed incomes, such as seniors, no matter how much I would like an arena.
I have lived downtown for 10 years, and am about to buy a house as close to downtown as I can afford, so I want an active, dense, vibrant city. But since I am planning to live here for a while, I also want a well-funded school system, so the next generation of Sacramentans can be well-educated, and care about things like architecture and what makes great cities.

Alright then.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area