HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Mar 29, 2007, 12:20 AM
Eurosceptic

Pittsburgh: 151 Firstside, 18-story downtown condo tower | CONSTRUCTION

November 2007 Update:

18 floors
200 feet structural height
82 condos

151 Firstside is the first major condo tower in Downtown Pittsburgh in 39years. It is part of the beginning of a wave of new residential projects downtown. The $26M 18-story tower features 82 condos ranging from 1000 to 3400 sq. ft. It is located at Ft. Pitt Blvd. and Chancery St. in the FirstSide (or Mon Wharf) portion of Downtown along the Monongahela River. The condos offer views of Downtown, the Mon River and Mt. Washington.

151 Firstside is currently under construction and has been topped out. 53 of 82 units have been sold at this time. Units range in price from $290k to $1.8M for penthouses.

This is the most recent construction pic... courtesy of flickr.

I took this photo last summer when 151 FirstSide was only a few stories tall... but it offers some perspective of its location.

Here are some renderings courtesy of http://www.151firstside.com

To be completed later this year.

Last edited by Evergrey; Nov 25, 2007 at 11:49 PM.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2007, 12:34 AM
I Couldn't Tell Anyone

How many condo towers are there downtown to begin with? If I'm recalling that particular part of town by the highway there it wasn't too ped or eye friendly. Are there any 'urban accoutrements' coming along the way in the area since this project came along?

Old Posted Mar 29, 2007, 12:54 AM
Eurosceptic

When it comes to "downtown condo towers".... the only ones I can think of are the 26-story Gateway Towers near the Point... and the 20-story Chatham Towers on the eastern edge of Downtown... both completed in the late 60s. There is currently a 21-story 1906-vintage skyscraper undergoing conversion to condos... does that count? Three PNC, U/C, is partially condo. Besides these few towers, most of the condos currently existing downtown are conversions of smaller, older office buildings. Riverparc, a 700-unit residential project beginning construction this year will feature a variety of towers between 15 and 30 stories... but I'm not sure of the condo/apartment breakdown... probably a mix.

151 Firstside has a somewhat harsh front door along Ft. Pitt... one of those 2-lane one-way streets... but the actually highway is further towards the river and "submerged"... the complex system of roadways it difficult to figure out in the photos. The building will have great unobstructed views of Mt. Washington, however.

As for urban accoutrements... 151 Firstside is in the "quiet side" of downtown... where it is pretty much deserted after business hours... in contrast to the Cultural District next to the Allegheny River. However, there's a number of other residential projects U/C in the vicinity of 151 FirstSide... including Piatt Place, Carlyle, Commonwealth, G.C. Murphey conversion and other smaller projects. A "European style grocer" is planned a few blocks away. The Fifth-Forbes retail district is also in line for a major overhaul. The city has plans to convert the Mon Wharf "beneath" 151 Firstside from a parking lot to a park. It is flooded in the first photo.

151 Firstside also has quick access to Houlihans.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2007, 7:04 AM
Person

What about that other condo tower under construction fronting the Allegheny? It's around 20 stories.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2007, 1:02 PM
Eurosceptic

I believe you're referring to the Encore on 7th... which is an 18-story residential tower completed last year. However, it is apartment... not condo. It is currently 98% leased.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2007, 8:20 PM
Hello

This is excellent news for Pittsburgh and a good start.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2007, 3:17 PM
Eurosceptic

pics i took yesterday... nearing completion...

Old Posted May 4, 2007, 10:54 AM
Eurosceptic

Old Posted May 11, 2007, 1:07 AM

I love the building for it's proportions, location and materials. But what is the deal with the blank walls all around the 1st 3 or 4 floors. Seems so contrary to the rest of the building.

Old Posted May 11, 2007, 9:41 PM

Great to see a Pittsburgh thread in the Highrise Construction forum. I agree with the above poster on the materials.. my first thought when I saw the renderings was "boooooring", assuming that the quality of the brick precast panels would be just horrible, but the actual product is turning out to look quite nice, maybe even a bit refined.

Old Posted May 12, 2007, 10:46 PM

Looking at the photos of the entire First Side, there are two large vacant areas still remaining along Fort Pitt Blvd. Hopefully 151 will spark projects to fill those gaps. When that happens, I would hope that future projects blend in with the historic small buildings fronting Ft. Pitt. I think 151 fits in because its height is between the two buildings on either side.

Old Posted May 13, 2007, 5:00 PM
Eurosceptic

nighttime shot

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 8:59 PM

In a city with as much historic architecture and natural beauty surrounding it as Pittsburgh does, this building is utterly shiteous! I thought of that word to apply to this building after I fell asleep looking at it.

Old Posted May 20, 2007, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CondoGuru View Post
In a city with as much historic architecture and natural beauty surrounding it as Pittsburgh does, this building is utterly shiteous! I thought of that word to apply to this building after I fell asleep looking at it.
Well look at the building to left. That pseudo-brutalistic job is awful. I've never liked brutalistic, and have only grown to hate it more (picture Forbes Quadrangle at Pitt, the large hulking building next to Hillman) over time. My biggest problem with 151 is the base - boring, meaningless blank walls that make no connection to the street or sidewalk.

You are dead on about the architectural history of the city. Years ago when I lived there, i took a walking tour of building lobbies. It included the Arrott, Union Trust, Koppers, Gulf and many others. The tour brought the history of the lobbies through the architure, the builders, the owners, the times (most were from early 1900's, the 20's and 30's) to life. Now that's real archictural assets when you can tour just lobbies as though they were a museum experience.

Old Posted May 20, 2007, 5:35 PM

Pittsburgh has one of the most magnificent downtowns in the entire world.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2007, 9:06 PM

I'm goping to be in Pittsburgh in mid June and definitely will check out this building while I'm there. Luckily, I'll be able to catch the last weekend of the Arts Festival downtown.

In the meantime, does anyone have any new photos?

Old Posted Jul 5, 2007, 5:13 AM
Eurosceptic

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07186/799417-53.stm

New condos a towering success

151 First Side, the first Downtown condominium project since 1968, is selling quickly as its opening nears.

Thursday, July 05, 2007

By Mark Belko, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

When Ralph Falbo first tried to get the money to finance a new condominium tower Downtown, people laughed at him. A good friend told him he'd be better off building a parking garage.

Bob Donaldson, Post-Gazette
Ralph Falbo, with reason to smile because of the sales of his Downtown condominiums, takes a call in the unfinished penthouse.

Now, as he stands on the top floor of 151 First Side with Downtown skyscrapers jutting behind him, Mr. Falbo is having the last laugh.
He has sold 58 of the 78 condominiums, with a top-floor penthouse fetching $1.3 million and several other units going for at least $1 million. The first closing will be July 24, some four years after he nervously broached the idea of building Downtown's first new condo tower since 1968.

"I couldn't be happier that we did it," he said at the end of an 80-minute tour this week. "I think it has proven to people in Pittsburgh that there is a market for people to live Downtown. Obviously they're here."

Mr. Falbo has sold all of the lower-priced units below $300,000, including 1-bedroom "studios," in the $28 million building, which fronts First Avenue and Fort Pitt Boulevard. Of the 20 units left, there are two in the mid- to high $300,000 range. The rest are priced from $400,000 to $1.8 million for a top-floor penthouse with a river view.

While the 18-story building is not sold out for its upcoming opening, Mr. Falbo said he is "very comfortable" with the pace of sales. He said he is 22 months into an expected 36-month selling period with roughly three quarters of the units sold.

"We're very happy about the progress. When you think we didn't get a model until last week and we sold 55 units before we had the model, I think that's pretty outstanding," he said.

So outstanding, in fact, that Mr. Falbo is considering two more sites, one on the South Side and one Downtown, for condominiums.

He is working with the city Urban Redevelopment Authority on a four-story, 40-unit condominium building near the Hot Metal Bridge and the UPMC Sports Performance Complex on the South Side.

Mr. Falbo is hoping to target younger buyers with the $14 million project, with prices ranging from $225,000 to $350,000 for a "good basic unit" that later can be customized if the owner desires.

"We realized here that if we would have had more units in that range we would have sold them out," he said.

He won't talk much about the Downtown project, other than to say it would involve condos, offices and shops, apparently similar in some respects to the Piatt Place complex proposed in the old Lazarus-Macy's building by Millcraft Industries.

Mr. Falbo beamed like a father showing off photos of his newborn during the tour, whether he was standing in a fourth-floor model with stainless steel appliances, granite counter tops, hardwood flooring and a 600-square-foot terrace or a dusty unfinished penthouse with no drywall but sweeping views of the Downtown skyline.

From the top floor, on the Monongahela River side, one gets an omnipresent feel, as traffic whirls by on the parkway and Fort Pitt Bridge and boats squirt across the water. Toward the east, the South Side yawns and the Smithfield Street Bridge lounges lazily across the river.

On the other side, the city prances, from big skyscrapers like the U.S. Steel Tower and One Mellon Center to the steeples of PPG Place, which stand like sentries.

"Some of this is dumb luck," said Brett Malky, president of EQA Landmark Communities, Mr. Falbo's partner in the venture. "We didn't know it was going to be this nice of a view."

Some three weeks before the first closing, 151 First Side is rounding into form. Drywall and studs are going up throughout the building. The lobby and entrance are closing in on completion, as are some of the first condos.

Residents will begin moving in after the first closing July 24 and will continue until November. Mr. Falbo started with 82 condos but some buyers combined multiple units into one, decreasing the number to 78.

All residents received one parking space in the four-level garage that's part of the building. But some have chosen to purchase a second spot at prices ranging from $15,000 to $50,000.

Mr. Falbo said condo buyers have run the gamut. They have included retired executives, lawyers, a former U.S. attorney, law school deans, and a mix of younger and older residents.

One of the buyers was Mr. Falbo himself. He purchased a 12th floor unit for $440,000 that now is serving as a model. The condo overlooks the river and Station Square, where his father got off a train at age 12 to start a job in Coraopolis.

Initially, 80 percent of buyers came from out of town or were relocating back to Pittsburgh. But more recently, most of the buyers have been local people, leading Mr. Malky to believe that they have been convinced that Downtown living is for real.

It took Mr. Falbo a long time to convince bankers of the same. But he has no regrets about taking the plunge.

"Everything clicked," he said. "I'm happy we did it. It's been fun and I can't wait to do another one."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Mark Belko can be reached at mbelko@post-gazette.com or 412-263-1262. )

Old Posted Jul 6, 2007, 1:56 AM
Pittsburgh rocks!!

I hope this type of development continues to spread throughout downtown. This is definately a great start.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2007, 2:41 AM
Posting Quick Reply

Looks much better in person than in the renderings. Great start for Pittsburgh, hope more action follows!

Old Posted Aug 7, 2007, 6:33 PM
Eurosceptic

http://www.popcitymedia.com/developm...tside0808.aspx

Downtown's 151 First Side reaches 75% sales mark, unveils furnished model

Downtown condominium 151 First Side has sold 75% of its 78 units. On August 2nd, the development unveiled its first furnished model. With a second model on the way, 151 First Side is welcoming its first residents, hosting tours for potential buyers, and completing its first round of closings.

Recent buyers are from the Pittsburgh area, as well as from Connecticut, Florida and Philadelphia. “The interest by Pittsburgh has picked up significantly. We’ve proven to Pittsburgh that this is real, as evidenced by our sales. We’re very happy that we’re part of the Downtown renaissance,” says Melissa Watts with EQA Landmark Communities. “We get a lot of Internet hits from out of towners searching for Downtown living. There’s a nice market from suburban communities and people wanting a lifestyle change. It’s a broad mix, which is the right thing for a Downtown building.”

The condo’s lobby will feature furnishings selected by interior designer Margaret Ringle Baker. “People are elated with moving Downtown. After all of the talk and ideas, the day has finally arrived--people are moving in as we speak. They can rent a car, bike, go to the new market, get a latte--the dream is real,” says project partner Brett Malky, president of EQA Landmark Communities. “We always viewed the city as the lifestyle. The amenities are literally the street and the neighborhood. We're all part of the revitalization.”

151 First Side will host a grand opening this fall.“Buyers who have closed in the last week are founding pioneers. They bought a unit when it was parking lot,” says Watts.

Writer: Jennifer Baron
Sources: Brett Malky and Melissa Titus Watts, EQA Landmark Communities

Photograph copyright © Jonathan Greene

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive