HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 26, 2008, 3:59 AM

Cubix Condos

Reminds me of Japanese housing - very small. I looked at a condo building 25 years ago in the Castro that was about 250 square feet - I could almost touch both walls of the room with my arms outstretched. I live in a 350 square foot apartment now, but the 50 square mile view keeps me sane!

Old Posted Aug 26, 2008, 5:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry of San Fran View Post
Reminds me of Japanese housing - very small. I looked at a condo building 25 years ago in the Castro that was about 250 square feet - I could almost touch both walls of the room with my arms outstretched. I live in a 350 square foot apartment now, but the 50 square mile view keeps me sane!
50 square mile view, wow! Where do you live?

Old Posted Aug 26, 2008, 11:47 AM

Anything less than 450 sq.ft to me is a prison cell.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2008, 4:48 PM

^Or a good reason to get out and enjoy the city.
Not everybody wants a large home and the costs that come with it... I think there's definitely a niche to be filled in providing smaller units at more affordable prices.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2008, 4:53 AM
Only Mostly Dead

The southern end of downtown with two projects quickly approaching completion: 555 and 301 Mission.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Aug 27, 2008, 4:55 AM
North Beach

Note that 555 Mission's Spider is operational.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2008, 5:42 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Check out its thread for a closer look. Today seemed to be window washer day in this part of town. 555, ORH and Infinity were all getting the treatment.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Aug 28, 2008, 7:58 AM
Green Berniecrat

Its not often that I'm in San Fran at night, but on my way back home from SF State, I noticed 555 Mish had its crown lit up. This might be old news to some, but this is the first time I saw it at night. It really makes it stand out in my opinion.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2008, 12:56 AM
Only Mostly Dead

A moment in time: the "new" Mission streetwall post-555 and 301, pre-535.

I had to stop and shoot this because it shows so many projects in one small area. From left to right, 555, 535, 301 (barely), and a rig pulling cores for the new Transbay Terminal:

Old Posted Aug 30, 2008, 2:11 AM

In that little alley way stand a great future for SF.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2008, 1:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
The southern end of downtown with two projects quickly approaching completion: 555 and 301 Mission.

So much surface parking.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2008, 3:05 PM
Only Mostly Dead

The lot in the foreground will be a condo development. Tishman is finishing up a project to the right of where I'm standing (Infinity) and are supposed to start this one as soon as they finish the other. The rest is state property from the former Embarcadero freeway. It's slated for development (and open space) as the state sells it to help fund the Transbay Terminal. But yeah, right now it's not pretty to look at.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2008, 8:42 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyropius View Post
So much surface parking.
This is all land previously occupied by freeway ramps and such (or, as p.g. says, in the case of the immediate foreground, I think it belonged to the Post Office which has a large facility next door), and being used since the ramps came down for staging by CalTrans (CA Dept. of Transportation--those brown trailers in the distance) for the seismic retrofit of the Bay Bridge and its ramps.

All of it has projects proposed for it once it's ready for development and the economic conditions are right. But the area where that photo was taken is basically a huge brownfields development area.

There is almost no surface parking in San Francisco that is not temporary--lots slated for development but not yet ready because of one factor or another.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2008, 5:09 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Friday, September 5, 2008
UCSF breaks ground on $42 million center
San Francisco Business Times - by Chris Rauber

The University of California, San Francisco plans to break ground Sept. 10 on a $42 million complex for its Osher Center for Integrative Medicine, a multi-disciplinary program now spread throughout the academic medical center.

The new 48,000-square-foot, five-story complex will be across the street from UCSF’s Mount Zion campus, at 1545 Divisadero St.

Officials expect to occupy the new space by late 2009 or early 2010, later than originally anticipated because it now includes five floors, instead of three; the two lower floors will be used by UCSF’s Division of Internal Medicine, part of the Department of Medicine, according to UCSF spokeswoman Kristen Bole.

In a preview of next week’s ground-breaking event, officials said the new center will include three floors dedicated to integrative health care, sometimes known as complementary or alternative medicine, including space for both research and clinical care.

The Osher Center program focuses on clinical care and research that “integrate” non-traditional approaches with more traditional Western science, including areas such as acupuncture, meditation, yoga, traditional Chinese medicine and therapeutic massage.

Margaret Chesney, associate director of the University of Maryland’s Center for Integrative Medicine, called the proposed new UCSF facility “a tremendous asset” to UCSF Medical Center, the university and the San Francisco community, as well as a nexus for research, clinical practice and teaching about integrative medicine. It’s also a sign of increasing interest in the discipline nationally, she said. Roughly a decade ago, UCSF, Harvard University, the University of Maryland and four other universities launched a consortium to advance studies in this arena, Chesney said. Today, the consortium has 41 members. The 11-year-old Osher Center at UCSF now has 55 researchers and staffers, but hopes to bolster that total significantly within three to five years, said Susan Folkman, its director and UCSF’s Osher Foundation distinguished professor of integrative medicine. The new structure will house 160 UCSF employees.

“Right now, we’re so cramped for space we’ve had to limit our growth,” Folkman said. But the new facility will solve that problem, allowing the Osher Center to hire more principal investigators and other researchers and clinicians.

Folkman prefers the term complementary because her center studies and uses alternative therapies or approaches such as acupuncture or meditation in combination with traditional Western approaches, not in isolation. “We’re in the heart of a great academic medical center, and we have great respect for Western medicine.”

Other major centers nationally that are similar to UCSF’s include Harvard University’s Osher Center and Maryland’s Center for Integrative Medicine, she said. The three centers collaborate in many ways, Folkman noted.

Over the last seven years, it has received a total of $21 million in funding from the National Institutes of Health.

The structure’s developer is San Francisco’s SKS Investments, in a joint venture with San Francisco’s Plant Construction Co. LP. San Francisco’s KMD Architects is the architectural firm.

crauber@bizjournals.com / (415) 288-4946
Source: http://sanfrancisco.bizjournals.com/...ml?t=printable

Old Posted Sep 9, 2008, 11:26 PM
North Beach

Anyone recall what the name of this project is?

And Mercy update:

Old Posted Sep 10, 2008, 3:05 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Curbed SF has some new renderings and floorplans of One Kearny. I can't post them here, but one shows the old building being lighted at night and another shows what the backside along Geary will look like.

Overall, I still think the addition is very plain and uninspired. But at least it reads as a completely separate building and thus doesn't detract from the old building.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2008, 5:46 PM
BANNED

Source: http://sf.curbed.com/uploads/2008_09_hibernia-sold.jpg

But to whom and for what use is as yet unknown.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2008, 10:06 PM
Only Mostly Dead

It's been confirmed and we know for what general purpose, but we still don't know exactly to whom. From SFGate.com:

Quote:
S.F. historic eyesore purchased after eight years of neglect
Robert Selna, Chronicle Staff Writer
Wednesday, September 10, 2008

(09-10) 12:09 PDT SAN FRANCISCO -- The landmark Hibernia Bank building in San Francisco's Tenderloin neighborhood has been sold for $3.95 million, according to former owner's real estate broker.

Originally built in 1892, the distinctive building at the corner of Market and Jones Street has been home mostly to pigeons since 2000 when the a San Francisco Police Department task force operation left, making the front steps a haven for public drinking, drug dealing and street urination four blocks from City Hall.

Real estate broker Stanley Lo said the buyer was a San Francisco-based company that is in the commercial real estate construction business. He said the buyer paid for the building in cash. Lo said he did not have the authority to reveal the buyer's identity.

"The buyer intends to improve the building and to make it rentable for business," said. "It will definitely improve the area. The city will be happier and it will help Market Street improve."

Lo said the price came down from $10 million to $4 million in the past six weeks, generating a lot of interest.

Last year, Mayor Gavin Newsom considered the building as the site for the new Community Justice Center, which would prosecute misdemeanor and nonviolent felonies in the area, but decided on a Polk Street location instead, partly due to the high cost of the bank building.

The building needs seismic retrofitting, asbestos and lead paint removal, disability access and other improvements that could cost millions of dollars, observers have said. The 38,000-square-foot Baroque-inspired structure also has soaring columns and a domed entrance, drawing the attention of passers by and serving as an entry to the Tenderloin.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2008, 3:07 AM
BANNED

"The buyer intends to improve the building and to make it rentable for business . . . ."

"The building needs seismic retrofitting, asbestos and lead paint removal, disability access and other improvements that could cost millions of dollars . . . ."

In as much as the area isn't really compatible with high end retail but it seems to me unlikely that anything low end would be either suitable or able to pay the rents likely to be necessary to make the building profitable after the needed renovation work, it's hard to imagine what "business" would go in there.

I guess finding out the answers to these sorts of questions is what makes life interesting.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2008, 3:26 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Finally, the Hibernia Bank bldg. gets some action.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations