HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography

Old Posted Feb 27, 2011, 2:11 PM
Super Moderator / Sr. Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.John View Post
how about selling prints through this website? photographers can submit their best high resolution photos and the profits of any sale are split 50-50,it's a wacky idea but what the hell
It's a good idea. But Dylan would likely have to get our gallery up an running again. Think it's been down since 2003.

Flickr®

Old Posted Feb 27, 2011, 3:21 PM
arf

^No, I remember the gallery. It must have still been around in 2005.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Feb 27, 2011, 7:21 PM

Putting photo threads on SSP can get you a lot of viewers from around the world. People who want to buy photos sometimes contact me through private messages. I doubt I'll ever get as much traffic on my zenfolio site as I do here. Speaking of which, zenfolio just came out with a new feature where you can create totally custom web pages. I like the idea of photo threads, scrolling through large photos like on SSP. So I tried one out: http://www.metroperspectives.com/lowertown

Old Posted Feb 27, 2011, 8:04 PM

@flar I don't know if you have done this,you could upload 10 of
your best photos(with watermarks) to facebook.Fill in the description
that you are selling them on facebook or give them a link to your website.
Once your contacts start commenting and liking you will for sure get
some buying interest and more people to your site.Next up, choose
some contacts to message their contacts about your photos etc.
Every one has at least 100 + contacts.At the end of the day you are
letting 1000+ people know about your pics.Every week you could upload again
,maybe 5 more photos....message 20 buddies to put the link up again.
................Its all for free and takes very little time.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2011, 8:27 PM

Here's something I didn't know, a couple of months ago I posted a question on why some of my lame photos were getting a ridicuous amount of views on Flickr,well it turns out if you log off flickr then repeatedly click F5 on any your posted photos you can probably rack up a 1000 views in no time

Last edited by mr.John; Mar 2, 2011 at 8:49 PM.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2011, 11:33 PM

but do you click f5 alot?

Serious question for Americans...What is a fair price for
an unframed print of one of my photos(size 30cmx20cm)?

Honest opinion please lads as I need an answer in dollars,this
is open to Canadians too if you can answer in American dollars.
I have people in the states looking to buy and I have never sold
any before.Some of you know my photos and would welcome your
view.
Toyota.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2011, 5:25 PM

At that size, probably around $40??? I guess depend on how you print it, just regular print? Or fine art, canvas? Cost is different.

I personally charge $60 for 8x10in, not that I've actually sold a print but still... my local lab charge $14 for one 8x10in fine art print, and there's shipping costs, so obviously price has to be higher.

I don't know much about this, but no one else responded so...

Old Posted Mar 2, 2011, 5:46 PM
EVDS MPlan Grad

I just got a view on Flickr because somebody searched for "spreadsheet grid".

Old Posted Mar 3, 2011, 9:49 PM

Thanks Doady.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2011, 2:34 PM

I haven't given the price of photos much thought. I've sold digital files to individuals (non commercial use) for anywhere from $20 to over $100, depending on how unique the photo is. I don't know much about printing and framing, so leave that up to them. On the zenfolio site, I set the prices pretty high, mainly because I don't have a lot of time to dig up photos and edit them for printing. I haven't been very organized over the years, so it's a lot of work and just not worth it unless I can make at least $30 or $40 profit.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2011, 12:14 AM

For anyone interested in aviation photography, or just want to see a bunch of great aircraft photos, check out the link below. Currently, the topic is 1562 pages long. Yes, pages, not posts. The current post count is 39044 and this topic has been viewed 1672603 times. All of this done by less than 200 members. Jim Wilson, who started this topic (this is the second attempt. The first one crashed) is the ringleader, and you will not find a more gracious host. We encourage anyone interested in this type of photography to come on over and join us. I am a member there (ALDOT), and while I don't post photos very often, the other members more than make up for it.
Start at the beginning. There are quite a few photos that are no longer displayed there, but the further into the thread you go, the more you will see. I have thought several times that the bar had been set months ago for great photos, but that is still being raised. For those who may be timid about posting their photos there, don't. We all have our moments where our photos are crappy, and getting a photo of an airplane flying past at 300+mph proves how much effort it can take to get a great shot, but with effort, it can be done. Of course, the bigger the lens, the harder that is. Jim Wilson uses an 800mm lens for a lot of his work, but he keeps several cameras with him for those shots that are too close fot the 800. He takes upwards of 25,000 shots at airshows and he goes to several each year, and I have seen very few shots that were less than perfect.
Anyone interested in this type of photography, but doesn't know where to start, there are several members that have the information you need. Don't be afraid to ask questions either. Everyone there started out the same way just as everyone here did. With a camera and a will to learn. Check us out, and if you have something to contribute, even if it is not a photo, then please do so. You will be welcomed by myself, as well as others there.

See you there.

Regards, Colin
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/600984

Old Posted Mar 5, 2011, 3:50 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doady
At that size, probably around $40??? I guess depend on how you print it, just regular print? Or fine art, canvas? Cost is different.

I personally charge $60 for 8x10in, not that I've actually sold a print but still... my local lab charge $14 for one 8x10in fine art print, and there's shipping costs, so obviously price has to be higher.

I don't know much about this, but no one else responded so...
I've sold a few things, but I haven't put a lot of effort into maximizing my sales. I've gotten as high as $450 for a digital file for one-time commercial use. I limit my print sales to 11X14 (or 11X~16 full-frame) to simplify things and minimize inventory. A few years ago I sold several prints in Chicago for $75 each (less commission), but lost my gallery connection and never pursued finding another one. Locally, I do an occasional arts festival where I offer "event special pricing" at $30 for 11-inch prints, and I can count on selling 15 or so prints over a two-day event. To do those, I've had to invest in an EZ-up tent ($300) and some tables and display racks, but if the weather is good I usually do well and have an enjoyable time chatting with people and seeing what other artists are offering.

For arts fest sales I make my 11X14 or 11X16 prints on 13X19 Epson Ultra Premium Lustre paper using an Epson R2880 printer, and then slip them into resealable crystal-clear 1.5mil polypropylene envelopes with corrugated cardboard for backing. I hang some on display racks to catch people's eyes, and put many more in plastic milk-crate containers on covered folding tables, for people to browse. The packaging lets them tolerate a lot of handling without damage to the print, and the inevitable fingerprints from festival food are easily wiped off the envelopes. The envelopes are available from multiple vendors. Until last year I bought them from Light Impressions Direct and was always pleased with their service. I've had to drop them, though. I ordered more than a month in advance of an upcoming event, and after a couple of weeks of no delivery I checked on my order. I talked to a rep who told me they were on backorder and would be at least another five weeks. I asked why they ran my VISA card on the day I placed my order and he said they always do that. I cancelled the order, made sure my VISA got credited, and found another supplier. Google crystal clear bags.

I've taken part in a few local multi-person gallery exhibits, but I've never sold anything that way. If I were to commit to significant on-line sales, I'd go with Zenfolio and arrange for printing and shipping through one of their vendors. I enjoy printing, when I have time, but packing and shipping for safe delivery becomes a time-consuming, bothersome PITA.

Better than ever and always growing: [url=http://www.robertpence.com][b]My Photography Web Site[/b][/url]

Old Posted Mar 6, 2011, 1:30 AM

I have Zenfolio but I don't have the account with print service. My site hardly gets any traffic and I don't think I have many of the kind of photos people would want to hang on their wall anyways, so I stick with the cheapest account. I never thought of galleries or art festivals, not sure if there are any near me.

By the way uploaded a new photo (taken in February) to Zen and Flickr recently, my first upload since July! Also upload a bunch of old photos never uploaded before. I haven't taken the camera out of the house since July 1, but maybe soon I will feel like it again, maybe in April after exams.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2011, 1:34 AM

Does anyone know of a good way to get photos appraised? My Senior project (required to graduate) is going to be an art show where I get a space to sell my photos for a night. I honestly have no clue about pricing photos, what to ask, whether I would be selling myself too short or overcharging.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2011, 3:52 PM
3rd Coast King

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatDarnSacramentan View Post
Does anyone know of a good way to get photos appraised? My Senior project (required to graduate) is going to be an art show where I get a space to sell my photos for a night. I honestly have no clue about pricing photos, what to ask, whether I would be selling myself too short or overcharging.
how much do you think a market for high school seniors would actually pay? i would think $20 or less would be good to start. not that they may not be worth more but dont price out your target market here.

My Book

Old Posted Mar 7, 2011, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diskojoe View Post
how much do you think a market for high school seniors would actually pay? i would think $20 or less would be good to start. not that they may not be worth more but dont price out your target market here.
I'm not pricing these for my classmates. I'm pricing these for their rich, art loving parents. The kinds of parents who can afford to buy their kids a BMW and then a Lexus after they've totaled the BMW.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2011, 9:26 PM

Based on what I've read (and examples I've seen on other photographer websites), if you sell photos as "art" to rich people the print probably should be archival quality, including archival quality board and matte and frame (if used), so the cost just for printing and material is probably going to be higher than $20. No matter how many BMWs they own, people probably wouldn't pay hundreds of dollars or something for a non-archival print (unless they don't know any better), especially from an unknown photographer.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2011, 9:50 PM

Btw, I know all you guys use Canon and Nikon dSLR, so I'm wondering, since I have a few photos cropped to 3:2, what is the best sizes to print at? I'm thinking 8x12" and 12x18". I'm not sure how common these sizes are though, in terms of matting and framing.

Most of my photos are 5:4 and 4:3, since my camera takes 4:3 photos, and almost all of the readily available matte/frame sizes are around 5:4, so it is no problem. But 3:2 I'm not sure about. 3:2 standard sizes seems lacking.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2011, 2:59 AM
arf

Uncommon for framing which is a shame. I like the 1.5 (long to short) ratio. It's better than the 8x10 in my books. But that's a personal thing. Unfortunately, 8x12 means you'll be hunting for frames and probably end up having to get stuff custom done, whereas 8x10 is available everywhere for pretty much free.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Mar 8, 2011, 3:44 AM
Ex Houstonian

Hey Doady, I just did an art walk here on Saturday in this relatively poor town I live in, and sold about 6 prints for 20 dollars each. Depending on how good your artwork is, I wouldnt price an 8x12 higher than 30 dollars starting out. And yeah, make sure its on archival paper. If you price your photos too high, nobody will buy them. If you make them cheaper, you will sell more and make more money YAY.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography