HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 26, 2007, 3:29 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post
Are those not bay windows on the east facing side of the hi rise portion?
You're comment was right...sorry Tyler. I was looking at the last two pics instead of the first one--guess I was just focusing on how silly the whole thing looks perched up there on top with its plain architectural style. I agree that the surface is far better than stucco, but it still looks like prefab sections put together for a cheap project with no aesthetic pleasantness. I think that the color is totally wrong for the building too. Nothing goes well between the old and new facades.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2007, 5:04 AM
Waiting for what's next..

Exclamation Views...

Does anyone have (or know where) we might get a "view" from any of the Saint's windows?

Old Posted Jul 26, 2007, 5:51 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrax View Post
I don't see the flashing overhangs on the Ritz Carlton like in the rendering , pity really as it would give a tiered effect to the addition . I liked the color and texture of it when I saw it in person . It turned out better than I feared.
I believe you will. Note the metal plates on the facade:

Those correspond to where the overhangs appear on the renderings and I think are mounting points for them

Old Posted Jul 26, 2007, 2:38 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Not only that, BT, but they have started attaching the bracing (poles that stick out from those mounts you photographed) for those overhangs. We should be seeing a more complete picture very soon.

I also agree with you that the texture and color work much better in person than looking at pictures on the Internet. I'm not completely sold yet, but am feeling a bit more optimistic. Time will tell.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Jul 30, 2007, 6:57 PM

690 market st

post more pictures of 690 market street!!!!

Old Posted Aug 2, 2007, 8:08 AM
Only Mostly Dead

The overhangs are beginning to take shape:

What's that? You want a closer view? OK:

I took these on Tuesday. I'll try to swing by today for another look, but I don't think it will have changed much. Perhaps next week we'll get a better sense of the final look.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Aug 2, 2007, 11:53 PM
BANNED

Beautiful building.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2007, 12:12 AM
roma volo

im jealous of san francisco. beautiful projects.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2007, 12:47 AM

S.F. skyscraper designs released

John King, Chronicle Staff Writer

Monday, August 6, 2007

(08-06) 16:45 PDT SAN FRANCISCO -- The long-awaited proposals for a new San Francisco skyscraper that would be taller than the Transamerica Pyramid are being unveiled this evening at City Hall - and images obtained by The Chronicle show three towers in the 1,200 foot range that look nothing like the Victorian homes for which the city is known.

There are three competing proposals from three teams that combine well-known architects with deep-pocket development firms. Each includes a design for a new Transbay Terminal at First and Mission streets as well as a high-rise that the winning team would both design and build.

The idea of allowing a super-tall tower is that the sale or lease of the land for the project will spin off money to finance the terminal, which the Transbay Joint Powers Authority -- the agency holding the competition -- hopes to start building in 2010.

But the idea is also to turn heads. According to the competition manual, "the Transit Tower is expected to be an iconic presence that will redefine the city's skyline" while incorporating the latest in green building and seismic safety systems.

Each competitor handed in its bid last month, but they've been kept under wraps until today. Here's what they have in common: Each one is very tall, and each one has a contemporary look.

-- English architect Richard Rogers and his firm Rogers Stirk Harbour + Partners designed a tower for Forest City Enterprises with a streamlined metallic look that has marked other projects by the renowned architect.

-- Cesar Pelli -- designer of dozens of towers worldwide in recent decades -- and his firm Pelli Clarke Pelli would insert a tapering tower into the skyline next to a terminal with a rooftop open space. Hines is the developer.

-- The San Francisco office of Skidmore Owings Merrill, working for Rockefeller Group Development Corp. They propose a tower that twists as it rises, topped by a glass veil extending another 10 stories into the air.

There will be more information released at a 6 p.m. hearing of the Transbay authority's board of directors. The competition timetable calls for the directors on Sept. 20 to select which development team will get the nod.

E-mail John King at jking@sfchronicle.com.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2007, 5:57 PM

690 market street!!!!

Does anyone got and picture of the ironworks working???????
and does anyone got any pics of them working on the side walk??????

Old Posted Aug 8, 2007, 8:40 PM
Only Mostly Dead

I should be able to swing by there tomorrow (Thursday) and take some shots. What specifically are you looking for when you say ironworks? I'm not sure what part of the building you want to see when you say that.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2007, 9:35 PM

number 3 is gorgeous.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2007, 9:50 PM

I think number 3 is the best. I like number 1 a lot but it's not daring enough.
Vista Tower, Chicago 1,1199 ft UC 45 Broad St, New York 1,115 ft UC
9 DeKalb Ave, New York 1,066 ft 53W53, New York 1,050 ft UC

Old Posted Aug 9, 2007, 6:07 PM

690 Market st!!!!

if anyone has any pictures of 690 market st post them on here please!!!!
cause my dad was the ironworker forman on that job.
if u dont know what a forman is its basicly the boss of the ironworkers on the job he tells the ironworkers what to do.
cause he said a lot of people come by their and take pictures of them working and he want to see the pictures.
and some of the pictures were posted on here he thought it was cool.
i remember i got to go to work with him on a saturday and their was about 20ironworkers working that saturday and during lunch we were on the 3rd floor and all of use we sitting by the big window opening and like 4 people took pictures of us.
And last week my dad and some other guys went back to the job to finish the sidewalk and he alot of people were taking pictures.
But know the ironworkers have finished everything their.

IF ANYONE HAS ANY QUESTIONS ABOUT THE BUILDING FEEL FREE TO ASK!!!!

Old Posted Aug 10, 2007, 6:13 AM
Only Mostly Dead

You're looking for older stuff then. Unfortunately, I don't have anything older than what's already on here. But I did take more shots today.

The overhangs are coming along.

I wish they would have continued them along the Kerney side of the building (left side in these photos). Perhaps they could have made that small notch the same depth as the overhangs and had them butt up to that? edit: I just noticed the mounts do indeed go around the corner, so as Gilda Radner would say: nevermind!

I know a lot of you are disappointed with the addition, but the restoration of the lower part is fantastic. Sorry for the weird composition here, but I was trying to crop out the scafolding and still get some of the detail.

Here's how it looks with its neighbors along Kerney.

And since sfgiants asked, here are two shots of guys working on the sidewalk:

Last edited by peanut gallery; Aug 10, 2007 at 6:23 AM. Reason: added note

Old Posted Aug 11, 2007, 12:06 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post

I know a lot of you are disappointed with the addition, but the restoration of the lower part is fantastic. Sorry for the weird composition here, but I was trying to crop out the scafolding and still get some of the detail.
Not me! Blond brick and red brick together = hot!

I think too many ppl in these forums rely on amateur photography for their criticisms instead of seeing it up close and personal.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2007, 6:45 PM

690 Market St.

if anyone has any pictures of 690 market st post them on here please!!!!
cause my dad was the ironworker forman on that job.
if u dont know what a forman is its basicly the boss of the ironworkers on the job he tells the ironworkers what to do.
cause he said a lot of people come by their and take pictures of them working and he want to see the pictures.
and some of the pictures were posted on here he thought it was cool.
i remember i got to go to work with him on a saturday and their was about 20ironworkers working that saturday and during lunch we were on the 3rd floor and all of use we sitting by the big window opening and like 4 people took pictures of us.
And last week my dad and some other guys went back to the job to finish the sidewalk and he alot of people were taking pictures.
But know the ironworkers have finished everything their.

IF ANYONE HAS ANY QUESTIONS ABOUT THE BUILDING FEEL FREE TO ASK!!!!

Old Posted Aug 14, 2007, 5:36 AM

i've updated the first page to include the renderings from the Transbay proposal.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2007, 7:43 PM
BANNED

Lenders still give S.F. condos a green light

Quote:
Lenders still give S.F. condos a green light
San Francisco Business Times - August 17, 2007
by J.K. Dineen
Najib Joe Hakim

The national credit crunch triggered by soured subprime home mortgages is forcing San Francisco housing developers to invest more equity at higher interest rates, but lenders are still willing to finance new condo construction in the supply-constrained city.

Richard Caldwell, chief lending officer and executive vice president at Pacific Western National Bank, said banks are reluctant to put in more than 75 percent of project cost, whereas a year ago, 80 percent of cost was the norm. One developer, Emerald Fund Chairman Oz Erickson, said lenders are looking to put in 70 percent loan-to-value or 65 percent loan-to-cost.

"It's definitely more difficult to get construction loans," said Erickson.

John Manning, a managing director at Highland Realty Capital, a commercial real estate finance firm, said the impact has been "pretty radical." He said construction and bridge lenders' spreads are up 50 to 75 basis points.

"The underwriting is a lot tougher and it's difficult to finance anything in Oakland," said Manning. "You're looking at 20 percent more equity."

But the shift in lending appetite is a "capital-driven change, not a real estate-driven change," Manning said. "The fundamentals of commercial real restate in the Bay Area are still good."

Caldwell said San Francisco buyers tend to be strong enough financially, and while units are starting to take longer to sell as interest rates rise, he has not seen the sort of price deterioration that would make lenders apprehensive.

"We do not currently have any material issue with construction loans in San Francisco," said Caldwell. "Overall the worst is yet to come with the subprime, but I believe there are a number of markets that are not over-supplied and have persistent demand and San Francisco is one of them and Seattle is another."

Sean Keighran, president of the Residential Builders Association, said the credit crunch will put more pressure on the buyers, especially in the high-end properties like One Rincon Hill or the Infinity, where buyers put 3 to 5 percent down, but have not closed on their properties.

"How many of those people are going to move forward with those transactions? If you can't afford Rincon Hill, there are plenty of other things you can buy."

Developer Joe Cassidy, who built the 300-unit Palms South of Market, said there is no problem obtaining construction loans, but developers have to be willing to get creative with financing in order to sell the condos. On the Palms, which has five units left to sell, Cassidy brought down interest rates and is offering an introductory 3.8 percent rate.

Erickson, who develops both market rate and affordable housing, said lower-income and first-time home buyers are most hurt by new realities of the post-subprime meltdown era. He said 100 percent financing has become nearly impossible to obtain. "It's slowed the rate of sales," he said. "You have to reanalyze your projects and extend the time you are marketing them."

jkdineen@bizjournals.com / (415) 288-4971
Source: http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranci...ml?t=printable

Old Posted Aug 22, 2007, 6:41 PM

Searching the web for something else, I stumbled upon this rendering. It looks like a 22 story tower for Excectutive Park near 49ers Stadium. I think thats the tallest, allowable height for that redevelopment area.

San Francisco Bay Apartments
465 new condominium units at San Francisco Executive Park next door to San Francisco 49ers football stadium

From http://www.gladstoneassociates.com/ls-projects.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations