HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Skyscraper & Urban Art

Old Posted Jan 29, 2007, 1:31 AM
i like stuff

I have a tower but are we supposed to make a plaza and other buildings too?

Old Posted Jan 29, 2007, 2:10 AM
i like stuff

here's my tower

Old Posted Jan 29, 2007, 4:38 AM
Finger Lickin' Good.

Nice job!

Old Posted Jan 29, 2007, 7:37 PM
World Machine

Adding a plaza and other buildings is optional.

Only two more days.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2007, 4:53 AM

im almost done with mine
is that all the towers

Old Posted Feb 1, 2007, 12:08 AM
World Machine

^Looks that way. This thread didn't take off as much as I anticipated. Tomorrow afternoon at around 3pm EST I'll make a thread for the voting process. Feel free to please enter in a design. It would make the voting more fun.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2007, 1:44 AM
Desert Dweller

I still want to make a design! Please extend the date! I havent had much free time lately.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2007, 2:24 AM
World Machine

Very well, I'll extend the deadline to Feburary 5th. That goes for everyone!!!!

Patrick..I was hoping I would see an entry from you for this contest. Better late than never. Good luck!

Old Posted Feb 3, 2007, 7:08 PM
Desert Dweller

^Agh I dont know now, I dont really have an idea yet, because all I would do is build them exactly the same, but that wouldnt be very creative.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2007, 4:30 AM
i like stuff

is anybody else submitting anything

Old Posted Feb 6, 2007, 7:03 AM

i am ^^

Old Posted Feb 6, 2007, 8:52 AM

I was hoping more people would submit their designs... but since this isn't happening I'll just submit mine now.

I haven't really had the time to develop my designs (due to all my other uni architecture projects)...so I will just send in the ones i have... they weren't ment for this competition but i was interested whether the designs would be suitable in this case... i don't know...i went as far as making a few models as well...tell me what you think

Design 1:

Design 2:

Design 3:

^^ This was so random

Arghhh...*hangs self*

Last edited by Imperar; Feb 6, 2007 at 9:02 AM.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2007, 5:19 PM
illwaukee/crooklyn

My advice is, you need to investigate the world a bit more, such as into the workings of nature, and the nature of the world, and derive concepts and ideas that come from what has been observed.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2007, 7:41 PM

CGII, I'm sure you could have rephrased that to something of your own words. Repeating what I've wrote in a thread unrelated, could indicate something from you that I would rather hope not to bring up here. Nevertheless, if you ment what you said, then my response to you will be completely different, (this conforms also towards an explanation of my work,) I've investigated into the Golden Section, which are based on natural laws and mathmatical principles, that have been incorporated specifically into the designs I have presented. I have discovered that circular structures, generate the sense of unity with man and nature, the sense of spiritual freedom, the sense of harmony. That of which I have aimed to acheive in the first design. Not only this, but I wanted to fuse this with practicality and function of the buildings, using the spaces for multiple purposes such as a memorial, a garden space, a place for spiritual awakening, an art, design and architectural exihibition, a place where individuals from all around the world to gather, sharing their knowledge, wisdom, and experiences. It must not and should not be used a place for corporations to congregate wealth in the void of greed and selfishness. It must definitely not symbolise american pride and patriocy that would otherwise attract unwanted threats from outside governments and organisations.

I could go on, and on, and on... though I hope the designs will speak for themselves that require no explanation, yet it's always useful to have...

Last edited by Imperar; Feb 6, 2007 at 7:55 PM.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2007, 8:37 PM
illwaukee/crooklyn

Honestly I don't think looking into the Golden Section helped your designs much. Design 1 has no scale whatsoever, is plagued by awful expanses of drab, undetailed surfaces and has an overal massing of silliness. The thing is HUGE, it spans the entire site, and would completely obliterate any sort of park at the base. As well, just as the other design does, it forgets the footprints of the original towers and sits jauntily over them. Whatever detail this design has is spoiled as all the elements clash to form some sort of freak 'geometry project gone wrong' sort of look. We have circles, triangles, rectangles and xs all seemingly at war with each other, and topped by a stab at an art deco crown.
The second design is far superior, but still lacks any sort of fine details and the overall massing is just a massive behemoth upon downtown NY. Whatever space not filled by the tower is completely squandered by the road surrounding it. Total overkill, as the site is already surrounded by high capactiy roads. A fitting monument, I suppose, to a nation already dependant on the automobile. Why wouldn't the memorial, a place to serve as 'a garden space, a place for spiritual awakening, an art, design and architectural exihibition, a place where individuals from all around the world to gather, sharing their knowledge, wisdom, and experiences' be a giant road?
Those public spaces are completely dominated by the looming buildings in your plans. The sheer mass of them would construct a frightneingly uninviting public space, they conjure images of Orwellian NY and tanks descending on protestors. I'm sorry, but they are terribly ill conceived, and would make nothing short of horribly unsuccesful parks, which at best would be remodeled in 20 years.

Thus are my sentiments 'rephrased to my own words.'

Old Posted Feb 6, 2007, 8:58 PM
World Machine

I agree with CGII........The buildings serves no signifcant nor architectual purpose. In other words it not doing anything to compliment the rest of the city.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2007, 10:01 PM

Wait, you mean complement, or just compliment, or both? Gets me kinda mixed up sometimes.

Last edited by Imperar; Feb 7, 2007 at 9:32 AM.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2007, 10:11 PM

argh, sorry for the double post...internet problems

CGII: I appreciate your comments. I mostly agree with most if not, all your points, just looking back my original intentions had been to create something exactly opposite to what has resulted; I think I began to incline towards a more agrandized and patriotic attitiude to the design, which I think hindered any attempt to relate back to its actual goals that I mentioned earlier and therefore the designs failed in doing so. The last part of your comment I think really blew my head right off (by that I mean amused) by hammering the point right down about the design 2, it somewhat steps a little too far into the boundaries of a tridimensional reality tainted with a fascist doctrine. Thanks though for your comments.

Btw CGII, will you be submitting your work.. I'm quite anxious to see a design by you as well

Last edited by Imperar; Feb 7, 2007 at 9:32 AM.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2007, 12:41 AM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

I like your 2nd design, but you need to get rid of that road around it. It makes it look like (and probably feel like) some sort of island. I'd actually love to see a 2-tower complex going up there (although not twins)
Also I don't know if you meant it but I can sort of see a twins reference in the 2nd one. When looking in from the right you'd see a massive tall rectangle

Old Posted Feb 7, 2007, 1:24 AM

Tower Design Entry I

People Going to work

Can you spot Borat

A memorial Museum

The PARk

We cant cant forget what stood here
WTC statues and a list of names all over the towers
with marble at the base

TOWER DESIGN ENTRY II

Thats ALL hope you liked my WTC models

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Skyscraper & Urban Art