HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 29, 2007, 4:55 AM
visionary

Has the MTS Center (True North properties) reached its full potential?

Has the MTS Center (True North properties) reached its full potential in the development side of things?

THe reason I ask thiis is because if you look at when Columbus Ohio built arena district around the Nationwide Arena http://www.arena-district.com/

they rebuilt and rejuvenated a whole area with new and renovated buildings (in which I believe the district is like our exchange at what the types of buildings are in that area). This mega-project turned out to be a huge success with all the condos and apartement that tied in with the retail

Also look at Toronto they are currently building one huge building called Maple leaf square, with a state of the art bar, retail, condos and hotels all into one. http://mapleleafsquare.com/flash/main.htm.
please make to watch there video and listen how they market it.

Could we have built more than just CanadInns bar at the powerhouse along with the arena. Did we really dream big? Could we have built apartement and condos at the powerhouse building. Heck if I were True North I would of bought out that building which has the crappy tenant Bargain store which resides by the Radisson and turn it into a sports mainly hockey familly restaurant with offices and build atop with some highrise condos and hotel hockey and music themed suites. Or how about redeveloping City (Eatons) Place mall. And build a practice rink on the empty parking beside it with some retail to it That would obviously be in smaller scale than what Torontos maple leaf square has going on

Perhaps these sort of things could of happened if it were marketed properly. Heck if hell froze over and the Jets came back these of developments might happen by the arena.

Last edited by viperred88; Jul 29, 2007 at 5:07 AM.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2007, 6:09 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

The new arena is an interesting animal.

I can't say i'm surprised by the lack of development. For most of the week the MTS Centre is a dead zone much like the convention centre or the concert hall.

It is my belief that had they built the arena on one of the vacant lots next to the convention centre the two could have fed off each other.

One major difference is that the MTS Centre lacks a professional sports team. Both the Air Canada Centre and the arena in Columbus draw 13,000 - 17,000 for NHL games in the winter. The Moose just don't draw enough fans to support decent restaurants and nightlife.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2007, 4:38 PM
visionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
The new arena is an interesting animal.

I can't say i'm surprised by the lack of development. For most of the week the MTS Centre is a dead zone much like the convention centre or the concert hall.

It is my belief that had they built the arena on one of the vacant lots next to the convention centre the two could have fed off each other.

One major difference is that the MTS Centre lacks a professional sports team. Both the Air Canada Centre and the arena in Columbus draw 13,000 - 17,000 for NHL games in the winter. The Moose just don't draw enough fans to support decent restaurants and nightlife.

True having 15 000 people showing up 40 times a year would make a huge difference. As for the location I too believe it should of been by the convention centre, but whats done is done and there is no use looking back.

To add to my main post the Edmonton Oilers and there Mayor Stephen Mandel has said he would look seriously at building a new downtown rink that would be part of a $1-billion complex of shops, businesses and a hotel. The price range they are looking at buiding a new arena is within 300 to 400 million dollars while ours was only cost $133.5 million mind you our is alot smaller than what edmonton is planning on building. They are also envisionning it beeing a signature building and not another cookie cutter.

Speaking about the MTS Center has anyone noticed the NJ Devils new arena called the Prudential arena looks like a twin to our MTS Center but on steroids.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2007, 9:51 PM
Honored Member

The only way the MTS Centre will reach its true potential is if the NHL comes back to Winnipeg. It's just that simple.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2007, 3:11 AM
Starring as himself

I think it has probably achieved its potential. It's just that its potential wasn't that much to start with beyond providing a good arena and "solving" the Eaton's problem.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2007, 3:30 AM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
I think it has probably achieved its potential. It's just that its potential wasn't that much to start with beyond providing a good arena and "solving" the Eaton's problem.

Well, I guess you summed it up; the arena and nothing else in Winnipeg has potential.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2007, 4:39 AM
Capitalist

I definately don't think the MTS Centre has reached it potencial.

Yes.. it was used to lure Mountain Equipment Co-op and A&B to Portage..

Yes.. the is some added life on Portage during many evenings.

Yes.. the old Powerhouse Building on Graham has found a new life. I love that restaurant too. The rooftop patio is a nice touch.

The big difference between the Columbus arena district and Winnipeg's downtown area around the MTS basicly comes down to planning.

Columbus designed a strong plan to revitalize a dieing area... and marketed that plan to developers far and wide.

Winnipeg did what Winnipeg does best ... lay the ground work for a silver bullet project, but does not do any of the other nessesary work to maximize return. There is no excuse for the block across the street from the MTS centre on Portage to be empty. Glen Murray fell into the ussual Winnipeg attitude ... downtown problems can be solves with silver bullets... silver bullets alone... what do you mean we need to draw more investments?

Alas Sam Katz is looking to attract more investment to the city .. by cutting business taxes and working with the Chamber. This will draw more investment around the MTS Centre in the coming years.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2007, 1:30 AM
visionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
I definately don't think the MTS Centre has reached it potencial.

Yes.. it was used to lure Mountain Equipment Co-op and A&B to Portage..

Yes.. the is some added life on Portage during many evenings.

Yes.. the old Powerhouse Building on Graham has found a new life. I love that restaurant too. The rooftop patio is a nice touch.

The big difference between the Columbus arena district and Winnipeg's downtown area around the MTS basicly comes down to planning.

Columbus designed a strong plan to revitalize a dieing area... and marketed that plan to developers far and wide.

Winnipeg did what Winnipeg does best ... lay the ground work for a silver bullet project, but does not do any of the other nessesary work to maximize return. There is no excuse for the block across the street from the MTS centre on Portage to be empty. Glen Murray fell into the ussual Winnipeg attitude ... downtown problems can be solves with silver bullets... silver bullets alone... what do you mean we need to draw more investments?

Alas Sam Katz is looking to attract more investment to the city .. by cutting business taxes and working with the Chamber. This will draw more investment around the MTS Centre in the coming years.

Mountain Equip and A & B sound were around before the arena started construction.

Anyway It perhaps not too late to hire the same planners that Columbus to work on our downtown providing the city and developers work together and let the planners be imaginative. I am sure such plans would create excitement for downtown and people will actually invest in it like they did for waterfront.

I agree its reached its potential maybe there will be more developements if there were an NHL team here.

Why is that The Forks corp. seems to have all the capital to develop such things like a hotel and skatepark but portage and the exchange doesn't have. Shouldn't portage and the exchange form a corporation. I know they have recently turned it into a partnership with north portage but it doesn't seem that all money is going to portage rather its going back to the Forks. I think there should be seperate entities with similar capital.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2007, 5:41 AM
I Like It When You Hit Me

Just one little correction... True North Properties is actually an Edmonton-based company that builds cheap and tacky neo-commie apartment blocks.

True North Entertainment Inc. or whatever they're called is a different company and doesn't have 'properties' in its name, nor did it invest in the powerhouse redevelopment (as far as i know.)

Also, while its still off on the horizon, there is also the Met museum/reno which wouldn't have happened if the arena hadn't gone there.

Slow and steady in this town it seems.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2007, 2:18 AM
visionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pootkao View Post
Just one little correction... True North Properties is actually an Edmonton-based company that builds cheap and tacky neo-commie apartment blocks.

True North Entertainment Inc. or whatever they're called is a different company and doesn't have 'properties' in its name, nor did it invest in the powerhouse redevelopment (as far as i know.)

Also, while its still off on the horizon, there is also the Met museum/reno which wouldn't have happened if the arena hadn't gone there.

oh me bad,

Although I thought it was the part of the plan to redevelop in the Powerhouse building, I know for a fact when they demolished the inside of the powerhouse building they re-used the glass blocks and they used them in the upper concourse.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2007, 5:08 PM
Armchair urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperred88 View Post

Speaking about the MTS Center has anyone noticed the NJ Devils new arena called the Prudential arena looks like a twin to our MTS Center but on steroids.
Yeah, that's a nice rink they're getting over there.

As for our arena reaching it's full potential. It averaged 7,000+ for it's major tenant the Manitoba Moose. Considering it seats 15,000 there's no doubt more "potential" can be squeezed out of it. Also remember it opened just under 3 years ago.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2007, 1:55 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperred88 View Post
Mountain Equip and A & B sound were around before the arena started construction.

Anyway It perhaps not too late to hire the same planners that Columbus to work on our downtown providing the city and developers work together and let the planners be imaginative. I am sure such plans would create excitement for downtown and people will actually invest in it like they did for waterfront.

I agree its reached its potential maybe there will be more developements if there were an NHL team here.

Why is that The Forks corp. seems to have all the capital to develop such things like a hotel and skatepark but portage and the exchange doesn't have. Shouldn't portage and the exchange form a corporation. I know they have recently turned it into a partnership with north portage but it doesn't seem that all money is going to portage rather its going back to the Forks. I think there should be seperate entities with similar capital.
Believe me when I tell you the wheels on the new entertainment centre were turning well before it was annouced. The city used the entertainment centre information to draw investment into that absolutely dead (abandoned) intersection (Portage & Donald) at that time.

Its not a coinesidence that two significant retailers moved into the abandoned intersection... while the rest of downtown was failing. It's a clear example of how the MTS centre can draw people and investments to the area.. at this time the area is occupied by Giant Tiger, Red Apple, M.E.C, Tim Hortons, Moxies, Tavern United, CTV .. and at one time A&B sound.
With today's momentum the Rock and Roll Musuem seems to be on the horizon. None were around before the pull of the revitalization powered by the new MTS centre.

In addition...
The Inn at the Forks was a private investment (not owned by the Forks) .. which pays lease payments to the Forks for the land.

The skate park was completely a private donation from a local citizen.

Last edited by newflyer; Aug 6, 2007 at 6:24 PM.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2007, 2:09 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pootkao View Post

Actually the powerhouse developement was backed by the the True North group .. under a different name.

I also don't buy into the lack of use theory is behind the limited potencial concept. Keep in mind that the MTS centre has been recognized as one of the most utilized arenas in the world. With the number of concerts and local and international sporting events that building draws 15,000+ people many times a year.. in addition to the Moose games. The bottom line was a lack of planning in developing an arena district, as was done in Columbus.

Last edited by newflyer; Aug 6, 2007 at 6:22 PM.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2007, 2:25 AM
high expectations

damn!

nicely said!

I completly agree, It seems all developments in Winnipeg are done like this and I think its unbelievable the lack of thought going into this crap

winnipeg has little money and puts it into the shortest and smallest bang for its buck, Alberta at least seems to put its money where its mouth is ...

newflyer, come to manitoba and get into politics

My Hoar Frost Photo Thread (Feb 2012).

Old Posted Aug 3, 2007, 2:26 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-MAN View Post
damn!

nicely said!

I completly agree, It seems all developments in Winnipeg are done like this and I think its unbelievable the lack of thought going into this crap

winnipeg has little money and puts it into the shortest and smallest bang for its buck, Alberta at least seems to put its money where its mouth is ...

newflyer, come to manitoba and get into politics
I just might do that...

Old Posted Aug 3, 2007, 2:29 AM
high expectations

Quote:
I just might do that...
r u in winnipeg or calgary right now?

Old Posted Aug 3, 2007, 2:32 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
r u in winnipeg or calgary right now?
currently I'm in cowntown.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2007, 2:36 AM
high expectations

Quote:
currently I'm in cowntown.

same for the time being

Old Posted Aug 3, 2007, 2:41 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
same for the time being
...... yeah

I expect things will change in the coming year.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2007, 3:54 AM

The MTS Centre has reached it potential.

The Downtown Has not in that immediate area

Why?

Lack of a development plan for a two block radius

Lack of balls by the City and Centre Venture to assemble all that property when it was available, for cheap

Lack of knowledgeable planners and politicians

Not much more to add…

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan