HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Nov 8, 2008, 5:31 AM

i think they should make it two way all the way from queen street, just from bay to york seems to short. Also the speed limit should be put up around that area (40 instead of 50?) i see way too many cars flying through everyday on there.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2008, 12:05 PM
It's Hammer Time

Pedestrians may soon scramble to market
Crossing and MacNab and York part of renweal plan

November 10, 2008
Dana Brown
The Hamilton Spectator

Get ready to scramble, Hamilton.

That is, if all goes according to plan on York Boulevard.

City staff have designed three concepts to revamp the streetscape of the road, all of which include a pedestrian scramble at the intersection of MacNab Street and York across from the Hamilton Farmers' Market.

The scramble allows pedestrians to cross the road in any direction, including diagonally, during a designated traffic light.

It's a model used around the world, and Toronto recently launched its own scramble at a downtown intersection.

"The scramble really reflects what I think is the true attitude of pedestrians, which is: 'If it's OK to go, go. And if I need to get across the diagonal, well, I'll go that way,'" said downtown Councillor Bob Bratina.

If implemented, the scramble would be the first of its kind in the city.

David Cuming, acting manager of community planning and design with the city, said creating a scramble would give pedestrians easier access from places like the parking garage to the Hamilton Farmers' Market.

"It goes back to that basic supposition that the pedestrians, in certain areas of the downtown, should take precedence over vehicular traffic," he said.

Cuming said public works staff have advised that the idea may need more analysis, but the designers wanted to get the concept out to stimulate public interest.

The regeneration of York is still in its early stages, with the public only receiving their first glimpse of the three concepts at an information centre last week.

The plan, developed around the two-way conversion of the street, covers the area along York from Bay Street North to James Street North.

Some of the ideas highlighted in the concepts include limiting street parking, creating additional sidewalk in front of the market and library, opening two or more lanes of traffic to vendors and events, or closing the street for special events on weekends or holidays.

Bratina said the street is basically a "highway" and needs to have a human pedestrian element brought back in.

He said if some of the roadway can be used for vendors for special events, while traffic can still get through, "that's a pretty broad and comprehensive way of looking at pedestrians and traffic living together."

Staff will try to finalize a preferred plan by spring.

It's anticipated work would be done at the same time as planned market and and library renovations.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2008, 2:00 PM
Hammer'd

I thought King/James was the perfect place for a scramble...
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Nov 10, 2008, 2:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
I thought King/James was the perfect place for a scramble...
That was my thought. Typically scramble intersections are used at busy pedestrian intersections. I would hardly call York and McNab a busy pedestrian intersection at this time...maybe in the future with all of these renovations.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2008, 2:17 PM
It's Hammer Time

Wait for the scramble once funding for B-Line becomes a reality than plan for it at James and King (King St W streetscape). I agree it would be perfect for that intersection.

For now put the scramble at York and MacNab, let Hamiltonians feel comfortable with the new scramble intersection. Because you know a good chunk of Hamiltonians aren't comfortable with changes regarding the roads.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2008, 6:17 PM

This location and at King and James are perfect for Scamble intersections. People park in the parking tower and walk over to Copps for many events. I myself have stood at the NE corner, crosses to the NW corner, then crossed again to get the the SW corner.

King and James is also a no brainer. There is always a line up of cars trying to turn right onto King while traveling South on James. Everyone gets impatient waiting for pedestrians to cross so they inch and inch into the intersection.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2008, 8:45 PM

ahhh ...good ... the 'Scramble' at York and MacNab will make it easier for folks to avoid the panhandlers on the corners ...

Mack

Old Posted Nov 10, 2008, 9:50 PM

As long as they don't screw it up, like they did with Toronto's where it's a modified scramble, i.e. people still walk on their light, but there is also a scramble session.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2009, 12:29 PM
It's Hammer Time

Back to the past on York Boulevard

February 11, 2009
Paul Wilson
The Hamilton Spectator
(Feb 11, 2009)
http://www.thespec.com/article/511277

Life wasn't perfect a hundred years ago. The doctor couldn't offer many cures, movies didn't have sound, and nobody had invented permanent press.

But it was a very good time to be a pedestrian. In this city, the sidewalk still mattered.

Then the car came on strong and killed all that. But tomorrow, at a public meeting at the Hamilton Convention Centre from 7 to 9 p.m., the city will show how it wants to turn the clock back a century or so.

There's about $3.5 million to do the job, for the stretch of York Boulevard between James and Bay. It used to bustle. In fact, the streetcar used to come along there every six minutes.

But today, that stretch of York is truly uninspired. You don't want to take a walk there. For starters, you'll get blown away by those five lanes of traffic rushing east.

And why would you stroll along there anyway?

Nothing interesting about navigating past the long north wall of Copps Coliseum, heaving patio stones and all. Not much to see as you pass the library, just a lot of concrete wall. There are windows at the market, but you can't see much.

Then there's the long cold wall of what most still call the Hamilton Eaton Centre.

From there, gaze across the street to seven storeys of homeliness, the city's parkade. No fun walking past that.

But a century ago, when this piece of York was called Merrick, the same stretch of street had lots of doors and windows and life.

The couple in the 1915 photo, above, are walking past the Hilda Cigars building, which housed lawyers, artists, a clock shop, a dance studio. Maybe that pair are on their way to the fine Royal Hotel, just out of the picture.

That bowler-hatted gent strolling the other way will examine with some excitement the coming-attractions posters at the Savoy. Then he'll head next door for an anticipatory pint at the Waldorf Hotel.

As for that groaning table of produce in the foreground, right there on the sidewalk, well that's exactly the kind of feature the city would like to see again.

"We've looked back to the turn of the 20th century to see what we can learn from those times," says David Cuming, the city's manager of community planning and design.

Step 1, he explains, is to get rid of that freeway on York. Make the traffic two-way. Yes, the way it used to be.

The plan may be to have two lanes heading east and one west, with accommodations for bicycles.

On the market side of York, there could be room for street cafes, seasonal retail stalls, movable planters.

Instead of hard curbs, they may incorporate the woonerf, or flush street concept, of which there are some 6,000 in the Netherlands. Hess Village already has a modified version of this.

This is a step toward making the street more flexible. For special occasions, it could be shut right down for events tied to the market or Copps Coliseum.

Not all of the past along here got knocked down. The stone Coppley building, where they're still making clothes, is more than 100 years old. So is Philpott Memorial Church, immense columns guarding its front door.

And then there's the Salvation Army men's shelter. It was built some 60 years ago and there was no budget to get fancy. It is merely an oblong block of bricks. On the third floor, the Correctional Service of Canada leases space for a halfway house. To the consternation of some, there's no indication they're leaving anytime soon.

On the second floor, there are 118 beds, about 80 per cent full right now. There is important work being done here, and the Sally Ann has no plans to move.

Major Harry Banfield, the executive director, likes the idea of two-way traffic outside his front door. He likes the beautification, too, though does suggest the benches be the kind you can't sleep on.

Nearly $500,000 is now being spent on renovations at the Sally Ann, but none of that will show from the outside. Banfield says they had looked at canopies and stucco, but it wasn't in the budget. However, if the whole street gets a lift, he said, they may feel obliged to keep up with the improvements.

The York Boulevard project is on a fast track because it needs to happen in conjunction with the facelift about to begin at the market and library.

Jackson Square is now preparing a temporary home for market stallholders. They're to be back on a more inviting York Boulevard by the end of next year.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2009, 9:30 PM
It's Hammer Time

The final plan.......

Wide sidewalk

Stalls

Special events

No scramble intersection at York and MacNab.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2009, 1:25 AM
Hammer'd

I'm glad they're considering a new signage for Copps Coliseum. That orange "C" thing is incredibly outdated. For some reason the design of Copps has always turned me off. The arena looks fantastic on the inside, but the exterior makes it look like some kind of '70s abomination. I wish it looked more like the JLC or the ACC on the outside, with more brick, steel and glass.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Feb 15, 2009, 2:43 PM

Holy crap, it actualy looks like a proper downtown street. Looks good.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2009, 6:31 PM

why are they putting double capacity eastbound? is this destined to be another half assed conversion like james south?

Old Posted Feb 15, 2009, 7:44 PM

This should be a lot more successful than James St S: wider sidewalks, streetscape development, decent crosswalks, I also see bike lanes in the rendering that will connnect to the existing York Blvd. bike lanes.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2009, 8:34 PM
It's Hammer Time

They'll be no bike lanes from Dundurn to Bay St though. The City are planning out the Wilson St streetscape so it's likley they'll be bike lanes along Wilson St in the near future.

I hope they select nice streetlights like the Bay St streetlights.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2009, 4:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coalminecanary View Post
why are they putting double capacity eastbound? is this destined to be another half assed conversion like james south?
There are already 4-5 lanes westbound on Cannon.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2009, 5:45 AM
Needs more coffee...

As Steeltown pointed out, there's no scramble intersection in those renderings - has there been any reason given for that?

Would that likely be because of the cost, the unfamiliarity of the concept, or just not enough interest overall?

Old Posted Feb 16, 2009, 5:48 AM
It's Hammer Time

Probably because it's not a busy intersection to require a scramble intersection. King and James is a good candidate in my mind, but it seems Bratina wants a traffic officer instead.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2009, 5:52 AM
Needs more coffee...

I'd agree with you there.

What do you (and others) think about the "grand stairway" to the roof concept? (in the lower centre of the page)

And are they not considering putting the sidewalks on the same grade as the street anymore, or have I just missed that detail elsewhere?

Old Posted Feb 16, 2009, 5:26 PM
It's Hammer Time

Goodlife is still open isn't it? I dunno about the grand stairs. It's a good idea but it separates the main area and creates a large blank cement wall.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues