HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 26, 2012, 1:30 PM

Conference Board has these estimates for 2012:
Winnipeg 774,000
Quebec City 771,000
Hamilton 753,000

These are estimates based off the 2006 census + a model based on several indicators, so the new census number will provide a new baseline. In previous years, the first census release did not correct for the undercount.

Hamilton looked like it was going to start recovering, but the recession hit hard, and Hamilton has fallen behind, losing over 20,000 manufacturing jobs. Recently that trend has turned around and new types of factories are being built.

I would still bet on Hamilton pulling ahead of the other two in the long term. The city has made small improvements that will set the stage for growth as the economy turns around.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2012, 11:08 PM

Winnipeg growing at a nice pace. NHL back, new airport, new stadium, affordable housing and living, low unemployement new centreport development to make Winnipeg transport hub of North America.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2012, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Winnipeg growing at a nice pace. NHL back, new airport, new stadium, affordable housing and living, low unemployement new centreport development to make Winnipeg transport hub of North America.
I guess they join the long list of cities that claim they're going to be the new 'transport hub of North of America'.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2012, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symz View Post
I guess they join the long list of cities that claim they're going to be the new 'transport hub of North of America'.
No. They house Centreport Canada. Canada's only FTZ Inland Port. With 20 000 acres of land designated to the port. No other place in Canada can say this. What makes it unique also is that it has been provided by both the Provincial and Federal government, not just on a municipal scale.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2012, 12:48 AM
I am a typical

I love how all the transport hubs are so far away from the manufacturing and population centres. Being the geographic centre of a continent isn't as much of a benefit when the top half of that continent is practically unpopulated.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2012, 1:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post
No. They house Centreport Canada. Canada's only FTZ Inland Port. With 20 000 acres of land designated to the port. No other place in Canada can say this. What makes it unique also is that it has been provided by both the Provincial and Federal government, not just on a municipal scale.
So now this makes Winnipeg the 'transport hub of North America'?

Here's a list of FTZ ports in the states.
http://ia.ita.doc.gov/ftzpage/letters/ftzlist-map.html

So is the peg still 'the transport hub of North America'?

Just sayin'.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2012, 1:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symz View Post
So now this makes Winnipeg the 'transport hub of North America'?

Here's a list of FTZ ports in the states.
http://ia.ita.doc.gov/ftzpage/letters/ftzlist-map.html

So is the peg still 'the transport hub of North America'?

Just sayin'.
I don't know much about them, the states may have plenty, all I know is that Canada now only has one. And it is located in Winnipeg. You would have to talk to people who are more familiar with that kind of thing. I can tell you that even as of now (while in preliminary stages) Centreport has already had some exciting activity!

Old Posted Jan 27, 2012, 1:04 AM
Look at me!

I've never heard of centreport Canada, is it an actual port? How is that even possible? I'm only asking here because I couldn't find it on Wikipedia

Old Posted Jan 27, 2012, 1:10 AM

Quote:
I don't know much about them, the states may have plenty, all I know is that Canada now only has one. And it is located in Winnipeg. You would have to talk to people who are more familiar with that kind of thing. I can tell you that even as of now (while in preliminary stages) Centreport has already had some exciting activity!
Well that's good! I was skeptical about the transportation hub of north America title someone said earlier. Is this more of an aviation hub? I mean the peg is inland.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2012, 1:13 AM

And also the only other port that is comparable would be Canada's second largest inland port after Centreport (20 000 acres or 80 km²) is Montreal's inland port at (1569 acres or 6.35 km²). Although that seems a little extreme. That is all I could find online, if someone could help prove me wrong that would be appreciated, because Centreport can't be that much bigger than anywhere else.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2012, 1:13 AM

edit - never-mind

Old Posted Jan 27, 2012, 1:14 AM
Look at me!

Ah ok I did some research and winnipeg's "port" is going to be a dry port, correct? Connected to Churchill right?

Old Posted Jan 27, 2012, 1:16 AM
gettin' rich!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
It could happen. I don't have the figures in front of me, but as I recall the 1981 Census revealed to Toronto CMA to be 2,998,900 (or something fairly close to that). It must have been a big letdown for T.O. not to break the 3,000,000 mark that census.
Yeah, but within 10 years we had passed 4.3 million. So it wasn't all bad.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2012, 1:18 AM
I am a typical

I am pretty sure that Thunder Bay's port, in terms of land area, is bigger than Montreal's, though most of it is undeveloped. I estimate about 14 sqkm of land is in the industrial waterfront part of the city.

Except for about 5km of parks, our entire 52km long shoreline (which includes two islands and four miles of river) is industrial, and lined with piers (though most are unused these days).

Old Posted Jan 27, 2012, 1:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Rommheim View Post
Ah ok I did some research and winnipeg's "port" is going to be a dry port, correct? Connected to Churchill right?
I am sensing something more to this statement. I am unfamiliar with how trade works, or the different benefits from having either dry or wet ports, but by the sounds of it having a dry port is a bad thing? Although I do know that Centreport is trying to attract trade through China through Churchill as China is one of the fastest developing Nations in the world. I think the website says Centreport would be the most efficient way for many places to invest in trade.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2012, 1:23 AM
high expectations

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
Conference Board has these estimates for 2012:
Winnipeg 774,000
Quebec City 771,000
Hamilton 753,000
wow what a close battle!

My Hoar Frost Photo Thread (Feb 2012).

Old Posted Jan 27, 2012, 1:24 AM
I am a typical

CentrePort is a Free Trade Zone. These exist all over the world, and have existed for hundreds of years. It's not going to cause the city to explode in growth. Duluth has one and it has been declining four years, and it offers four modes of transportation with closer and larger centres of population. Thunder Bay's proposed "FTZ/CentrePort" developments are located at the airport and at the port. Like Duluth, we will also offer four modes of transportation, on existent infrastructure. The port area is ready to go, the airport area just needs better road access.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2012, 1:50 AM
Look at me!

Quote:
I am sensing something more to this statement. I am unfamiliar with how trade works, or the different benefits from having either dry or wet ports, but by the sounds of it having a dry port is a bad thing? Although I do know that Centreport is trying to attract trade through China through Churchill as China is one of the fastest developing Nations in the world. I think the website says Centreport would be the most efficient way for many places to invest in trade.
No I'm just asking questions. I never heard of centre port before. Before this thread I didn't it was possible for a prairie city to have a port. Then I did some research and found out about dry ports, which I didn't know existed.

So, is this centre port thing a proposal, or has it been there for a while? What kind of facilities does it have?

Old Posted Jan 27, 2012, 1:55 AM

Quote:
No I'm just asking questions. I never heard of centre port before. Before this thread I didn't it was possible for a prairie city to have a port. Then I did some research and found out about dry ports, which I didn't know existed.

So, is this centre port thing a proposal, or has it been there for a while? What kind of facilities does it have?
I believe it was passed through the Federal Government in 2009? I may be wrong. It is brand new. It has begun its infrastructure via Federal Funds. They're building the road, rail, and hydro-electric infrastructure for it currently. I don't think any actual customers have invested in it yet. I just know that from the centreport's thread in which people who know what there talking about say it is a big deal, and holds major potential growth for the city.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2012, 1:58 AM

Quote:

I believe Roccerfeller provided the best explanation for what it may potentially be:

Sorry Roccerfeller, hope you don't mind.

Quote:
Well its just a designated area - officially designated by the federal government - where taxed goods and duty fees are overlooked and business may go about "free" market value

for instance, just as a very simple example, say a company like Volkswagen builds a manufacturing plant in this zone. This would be like them building a plant in Germany (their home country), where they can put together a vehicle at their own cost (German market cost).

Whey they ship cars to Canada, they have to undergo taxes and border customs, which contributes to the higher price of the car than say a domestic car. And, say they build a plant in Ontario, and only ship parts to Canada rather than whole cars, and the parts are put together in Ontario, which would be cheaper for them shipping-wise, but because they are putting their product (a German product) in a foreign market (Canadian) they must still pay taxes. These are primarily duty fees, that say if there was a Canadian car manufacturer, would not have to pay. This is also why "imported" vehicles such as Volkswagen or Toyota are generally more expensive than Fords or GMs cars; these extra taxes play a role as do increased shipping costs are warehousing, retailing etc...a bunch of things are involved in that.

If you go to the UK or Germany for example, dollar for Euro the Volkswagen will be cheaper in Germany (the exact same car) as a result as well.

The advantage of the FTZ is that it nullifies the cost cutting measures companies take, and therefore either making it cheaper for companies to operate or cheaper and more efficient. FTZ's are only good from the business perspective. Again, with Volkswagen's hypothetical example, this would mean that they could set up a manufacturing plant in CentrePort's FTZ; they could ship all the parts there (cheaper than shipping whole cars) and get the cars manufactured there as if each separate part (doors, engines, hoods, glass etc..) did not have to pay a duty charge for entering the Canadian border.

So in the end, the item is cheaper for the manufacturer to produce, because its all the costs in manufacturing a vehicle are not on taxed land, so when you ship parts there, you need not worry about taxes until the product is in the dealership, much like any "domestic" vehicle, or say if the cars needed simply to be stored, they would not be taxed until later or not even taxed at all. Its a really big deal for large businesses especially when you're talking about companies that deal with hundreds of millions of dollars in revenues through goods.

Another huge plus, is it cuts off lengthy and sometimes costly border checks so you can skip that whole process.

Yet another advantage is a company might not necessarily build their own warehouse; there might be some mega warehouses that many companies share thus saving on development costs. These are common in FTZ's around the world.

But one of the biggest advantages, is Governments will give companies incentives, such as start-up bonuses or tax cuts or whatever. This is huge, because it makes companies want to move there and set up a huge base there.

Its actually really good you brought this point up, because this area in Winnipeg's CentrePort is the first FTZ in Canada, and Canada's only FTZ for the likely future.

We won't see the benefits until CCW is complete, and there is more progress made on CentrePort in general, but these "main anchor" tenants would all have strong presence in the FTZ, as a FTZ isn't really anything but a piece of paper until the proper infrastructure and development is there. Its basically just an empty field waiting to be developed on currently. Businesses need to see that there is something concrete first; otherwise no way are you going to spend tens or hundreds of millions of dollars on a warehouse or manufacturing plant. So basically we need to see CCW complete at the earliest and all the sewage stuff complete first. Don't expect any news on FTZ related projects till at the very earliest when CCW opens up, which will be in 2014 sometime. The wastewater & water stuff (that $17 million dollar agreement that was finally reached) will only service the first 1,100 acres of CentrePort's 20,000 acre footprint, so it might be a long time before you hear anything concrete, barring a large and aggressive announcement of something big like a "major tenant" committing to the area before that.

That said, the FTZ is one of the most important economic things that exists in Winnipeg today, and was a huge deal for the Federal Government to do; hence why the mandate that was passed by the Prime Minister several years ago was a very big deal. It is also what separates the Inland Port in Winnipeg from any other competing start-up inland port projects (like the ones in Edmonton & Regina)
Officially posted by Roccerfeller on Centreport Thread.

CCW =Centreport Canada Way, a new designated freeway being built through the port area.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada