HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 4:41 PM
Hong Kong

hkskyline's 2018 in Kinmen, Taiwan's Wartime Frontline

100,000 Nationalist soldiers were once stationed here in the 1950s anticipating and repelling the Communist invasion. This was the frontline in the Chinese civil war, and the Nationalist's success here is said to be a major reason why mainland China didn't try to take Taiwan.

Today's Kinmen has plenty of military sites on offer as well as historic Fujian-style buildings clustered in quaint villages, well-funded by a successful diaspora that poured money back home. It is also a world away from the People's Republic of China, just a short ferry ride away. After martial law was lifted in 1993, Kinmen is now far more relaxed, with the soldier population dropping to 3000 and tourists roaming around, albeit still off-the-beaten track for the Western clientele.

Kincheng was formerly known as Houpu and has a history of some 700 years. It is the economic centre of Kinmen with modern buildings and a major bus station. Yet, there are pockets of dilapidation and historic homes still in function all mixed together.

Xiamen's skyline looks so near, yet it is such a different world away. This was the frontline of the Cold War, with the Nationalists ready to repel the Communist invasion from within viewing distance.

Much to my delight, there are no chain stores, and parking lots around the periphery within walking distance are all free.

The Memorial Arch to Qiu Liang-Kung's Mother was built in 1812 by the Governor of Zhejiang province. Food stalls now surround the square and people seem to line up for food more than to examine this monument in great detail.

The Chens were the larget clan in Kinmen and their Ancestral Hall occupies a great location in the heart of Kincheng. Restorations in 2016 were funded by its overseas diaspora around Southeast Asia to rejuvenate its intricate carvings and handsome structure.

More on my website : https://www.globalphotos.org/kinmen.htm

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 12:48 PM
Hong Kong

Further inland, Qionglin is an interesting village of preserved Fujian-style houses, shrines, and ancestral halls. The best parts are not accessible by cars through the narrow alleys, poking through people's drying laundry and kids' toys.

At the centre of town, 1.3km of tunnels were built by the villagers in preparation of a Communist invasion. One exit is now in a park, while the other is across the street in another handsome building.

More on my website : https://www.globalphotos.org/kinmen6.htm

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 5:47 PM
Kicking it Viking style..

Nice ones as always mate!

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 2:33 PM
Hong Kong

Thanks for your support.

Jhushan was supported by emigrants in the Philippines during the late 19th century who made their fortunes from trade and shipping. It is set around a pond with hills behind it giving good feng shui to concentrate wealth.

More on my website : https://www.globalphotos.org/kinmen3.htm

Old Posted Mar 14, 2019, 12:58 AM

Surprised to see some tall buildings across the river, China has tall buildings? It is said 98% of the nation is in rural condition and poverty.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2019, 1:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post

This is my favorite photo from this set, makes me want to go!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos