HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Mar 20, 2007, 9:03 PM

Tony, I have to go back on my terrible memory for this one. I know for sure that Regional Development Planners rejected the proposal but regional council overlooked them and passed it. So the non-supporters will actually use the findings of the planners in their case at the OMB.

The old city council (pre-election) approved, so the new city council held a regular meeting and a council man wanted to throw out the proposal (which was illegal) then another council member countered that by saying they will not defend PDVC at the OMB which council ended up voting on. I think I heard that the second motion forced council to pick one of the two options. Sorry Tony I can't find any articles since they're more than a week old.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2007, 10:59 AM
Super Moderator / Sr. Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mucciared View Post
The old city council (pre-election) approved, so the new city council held a regular meeting and a council man wanted to throw out the proposal (which was illegal) then another council member countered that by saying they will not defend PDVC at the OMB which council ended up voting on. I think I heard that the second motion forced council to pick one of the two options. Sorry Tony I can't find any articles since they're more than a week old.
Well if that's the case, the OMB has the power to subpoena the planners (most likely Paul Chapman) to testify. The move by council seems to be mostly just for show. Now if it still gets approved by the OMB they can blame the past council and the OMB.

Flickr®

Old Posted Mar 22, 2007, 10:19 PM

Wow
I went to Niagara falls in 2005 and it was wonderful i expect that in the future Niagara will be the best city in Canada

Old Posted Mar 23, 2007, 1:14 AM
I am the law!

^city?

different strokes for different folks I guess

Old Posted Mar 24, 2007, 3:36 PM

One step further in getting that performing arts centre downtown....after reading this article, don't you think St. Catharines and Thorold should just get over it already and merge? hehe

New organization has prosperity on its mind for two communities

MONIQUE BEECH
Local News - Friday, March 23, 2007 @ 01:00

A group of politicians, business people and educators proclaimed the winds of change were blowing in the Garden City Friday morning as fledgling details of a new prosperity council gusted through Brock University.

Making good on his fall campaign promise, St. Catharines Mayor Brian McMullan announced the first members of the new St. Catharines-Thorold Prosperity Council and the group's goals during a press conference at the university's Schmon Tower.

"I think the wind is a good omen," said McMullan, as a gutsy, howling gale shook the room, located on the top floor of the 13-storey building.

"The winds of change are coming."

McMullan said his city has strengths but acknowledged it also has weaknesses, namely low average incomes and educational attainment. He said the prosperity council is designed to do just that: bring economic prosperity to the neighbouring cities.

The council will bring together the public and private sectors and help them flush out key goals and "create the momentum and environment" to create new jobs, investment and attract talented professionals, he said.

So far, the council is comprised of both city's mayors, the St. Catharines-Thorold Chamber of Commerce, Niagara Health System and the heads of Brock University and Niagara College.

Nine citizens, selected through an application process and aimed to be a cross-section of community groups and businesses, will be added over the next month. Ads for positions to be filled on the council will be posted in local newspapers starting next week.

McMullan said the new council will take on a different role from the existing Niagara Economic Development Corp., which was created more than two decades ago to generate business interest in the region.

The council, expanded to include Thorold at the request of its mayor, Henry D'Angela, will serve as a direct communication line between the two municipalities' key stake holders and the federal and provincial governments, McMullan said.

Al Simpson, chamber president, agreed there is, at times, a communication gap between levels of government.

"One of the priorities of the council will be trying to facilitate better discussions between those governments," Simpson said.

Local provincial and federal politicians won't be directly involved in the prosperity council, but will be "included in the discussions that will spring from the council."

Simpson touted the new group as a way of advancing a proposed business development incubation program, a performing arts centre in St. Catharines and plans for a new hospital in St. Catharines.

McMullan got the prosperity council idea from a similar program started in Waterloo about 10 years ago.

McMullan said that community's council has had success attracting new businesses, particularly in the technology sector.

Jack Lightstone, president of Brock University, reiterated the need for a shared vision among the city's stakeholders.

"More importantly, we need to co-ordinate our efforts," Lightstone said.

The cost to run the council will be shared between St. Catharines, Thorold and the chamber. The City of St. Catharines expects to pay $5,000 in startup costs.

mbeech@stcatharinesstandard.ca

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Prosperity council goals include:

Promote the creation of business development opportunities;

Support growth of existing businesses;

Encourage relocation of business to the communities;

Promote urban revitalization;

Encourage wealth creation in the communities;

Facilitate communication between all levels of government and the business community.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2007, 7:07 AM

I can't see the two being seperate 50 years from now. Personally, I want the two to merge but I would want the city to be known as St. Catharines. The name is already established and that name idea of Canal City does not sit well with me.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2007, 6:00 PM

I don't think this has been noted yet, but construction at the Hilton Expansion in Niagara Falls is proceeding well, concrete has been pouring since March 22.

Flickr®

Old Posted Apr 8, 2007, 4:11 PM

Hey anyone have pics of the hiltons construction right now? I haven't got home for a while and I can't get around to checking it out.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2007, 2:35 AM

Hilton Expansion

Here are a couple of pics from accessniagara.com
They're just getting started with foundations. No cranes yet.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2007, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drafty View Post
Here are a couple of pics from accessniagara.com
They're just getting started with foundations. No cranes yet.

Wow there building it floor level? Is there no basement? Where there any piles need to be drilled? I figured they would of dug at least 40-80 feet deep and put a huge basement/ structural slab. Or did they already just filled it in already?

Old Posted Apr 10, 2007, 1:16 PM

Hilton

Here are some earlier pics of the bottom of the foundation (also from accessniagara). No pylons, just the slab.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2007, 4:41 PM

Ok I can see why or how they can manage to support the tower on that foundation real thick slab. Did they do any piles?

Old Posted Apr 14, 2007, 8:09 PM

Once again, Doug Herod has written an article about the downtown lower level parking lot. This time it concerns the Canada Hair Cloth building's fate - this is prob my favourite building in the city. If this Brock U/City partnership project actually takes flight, I think it will be the best plan for downtown St. Cath that we've seen in a very long time. Fingers crossed!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello ... Hair Cloth? It's Brock University on the line....
Herod's Column - Friday, April 13, 2007 Updated @ 9:27:28 AM

As we all know, the canal valley behind St. Paul Street has been a field of dashed dreams the past several decades.

If it wasn't one eyebrow-raising scheme, it was another.

Occasionally, the Canada Hair Cloth building would be brought into play.

In certain grand development doodlings, the building was promoted as an appropriate site for a wine museum or some sort of residential project.

Problem was, the building already had a use. Canada Hair Cloth was still housed there and operating as the city's oldest, ongoing manufacturer, producing various materials for the garment industry.

Its attractiveness as a redevelopment project for the downtown was easy to see, though.

The 19th century, four-storey building is an impressively sized, well-preserved, brick-and-stone structure with a strong heritage feel to it.

It cuts an impressive figure in comparison to the cubist-art-on-steroids look to the rest of the back of St. Paul Street.

And now it's available.

Unfortunately so, of course.

The announcement last week that Canada Hair Cloth, which was founded in 1884, would be ceasing operations this summer marks the end of downtown's industrial era, one that was initially spurred by the presence of the First Welland Canal.

In more human terms, the closing marks the end of work for 42 people. Given the low-cost, overseas competition in the textile trade, there was a certain inevitability to the local company's eventual demise. But that doesn't necessarily make the news any easier to swallow for the employees, who'll be tossed into an uncertain job market.

The building will live on, however, and perhaps play a key role in the latest in a seemingly endless series of downtown revitalization attempts.

As noted, the structure looks nice in a heritage kind of way, but is there a danger in trying to tell a book by its cover?

Nino Donatelli, who has done an admirable job resurrecting a couple of old factories in Merritton, gives a thumbs-up to the industrial plants of the 19th century.

"They are structurally sound," said Donatelli. "That's the most critical point."

They had to be solid, he explained, "because the equipment they contained was so heavy."

"These old buildings are just tanks."

Donatelli said a redevelopment of the Canada Hair Cloth factory "could give a real lift to that downtown area."

Jim Macfarlane is the marketing manager for Canada Hair Cloth. More importantly for the future of the site, though, he and his brother Ron control the land in question. The Macfarlane family owned the company until 1996, when it sold the business - but not the building or the 1.16-hectare property on which it sits - to a French firm.

While more modern extensions to the manufacturing facility has caused the factory size to be listed at 70,000 square feet, Macfarlane says the signature brick-and-stone portion has 40,000 square feet of space.

Macfarlane doesn't envision a future industrial use for the building; for one thing, its multiple-floor layout is at odds with how modern factories are designed.

Might make a good factory-outlet mall, though, he says. Or a student housing project.

Maybe. But my guess is that the site and building will eventually attract the interest of Brock University and the city for other purposes.

As dedicated followers of the local scene well know, Brock is interested in moving its fine and performing arts school to a downtown location. In conjunction with that move, deep thinkers at the university and the city are talking about partnering on a downtown performing arts centre.

A large, multi-floored, old factory and an arts school sound like a pretty groovy fit.

But if there's interest in the building from those sources, it's news to Macfarlane.

It's been a week and no one's called from the city or Brock, he said.

Patience, Jim, patience.

Doug Herod's opinion column appears Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday.

dherod@stcatharinesstandard.ca

Old Posted Apr 14, 2007, 8:28 PM

Could this be the redevelopment that finally spurs some condo towers or something in the lower-level parking lot?! Optimistically, I'd like to envision a Gooderham-Worts kinda development and catalyst, in of course a much smaller scale. I know the Twelve is buried there, but I wonder if some part of that area is floodplain. I think it would be awesome to day-light a portion of the buried creek in around where it used to run so it would essentially finally add a publically accessible water feature to the downtown.

Flickr®

Old Posted Apr 15, 2007, 5:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
Could this be the redevelopment that finally spurs some condo towers or something in the lower-level parking lot?! Optimistically, I'd like to envision a Gooderham-Worts kinda development and catalyst, in of course a much smaller scale. I know the Twelve is buried there, but I wonder if some part of that area is floodplain. I think it would be awesome to day-light a portion of the buried creek in around where it used to run so it would essentially finally add a publically accessible water feature to the downtown.
I couldn't agree more. I have always imagined exactly that for the lower level parking lot. Who knows what will happen. Regional Councillor Bruce Timms is trying to get the Welland Canals, including the burried portions, designated as a national heritage site by the federal government. Funds would be used to restore the canal if such a designation takes place, I think the lower level parking lot portion could be the hallmark of such a project.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2007, 11:33 PM

More news on this project, published in The Standard on Tuesday. Some exciting words from mayor, brock prez.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brock, city team up for arts centre

By Marlene Bergsma
Local News - Tuesday, April 17, 2007 Updated @ 3:23:15 AM

Construction of a new performing arts centre in downtown St. Catharines could begin before this term of city council ends in 2010, Mayor Brian McMullan said after city councillors agreed in principle to co-operate with Brock University on a major downtown arts development.

Councillors agreed Monday night to find a site and negotiate a long-term agreement with Brock — which is the first time in nearly a quarter of a century that a viable idea has been floated for transforming the city’s core, said McMullan in an interview after the historic decision.

Brock president Jack Lightstone told councillors that Brock desperately needs to build a new school of fine and performing arts, and that the community has outgrown the Brock Centre for the Arts.

At the same time, the city needs to revitalize its downtown core, and the province is aware that the Greenbelt Act has blocked St. Catharines from future expansion growth, said Lightstone, speaking to councillors and a spectator gallery full of members of the city’s musical, theatrical and artistic communities.

“There is a convergence of needs, opportunities and expertise,” Lightstone said.

Lightstone said there are many possible ways the centre could be built and financed, such as the city building it and Brock committing to a long-term lease, or Brock agreeing to operate the performing arts venue at its own expense, contributing “a payroll in perpetuity” of between $750,000 and $800,000 a year to the downtown core.

“All options are under consideration,” said Rosemary Hale, dean of humanities at Brock, who was also in the audience along with the chairman of Brock’s board of trustees, David Howes.

“I don’t have any preconceived notion as to who builds the building or who owns the building,” Lightstone said. “Everything is up for discussion.”

St. Patrick’s Ward Coun. Mark Elliott, who made the motion to formally establish the partnership, said the first step is to negotiate “a comprehensive and well-integrated plan.”

He asked staff to work with Brock and any other partners to develop a timeline and budget to:

• identify a site;

• develop a business plan;

• develop a long-term agreement for financial sustainability.

Lightstone said any development Brock undertakes downtown will be wasted if it isn’t part of a comprehensive strategy to revitalize the core.

“I don’t think any centre will produce the desired multiplier effect if it’s not part of a comprehensive plan,” he said.

Up until Monday night, both Brock and the city were engaged in separate studies, although each had participated in the other’s committee.

Lightstone said he was there to report on the state of the discussions at Brock “so ideally we can move on as partners in what could and should be an exciting project.… What we are talking about is what could be a cultural and economic pillar of downtown renewal.”

But in order for Brock to “inconvenience” its staff, faculty and students who will be moved off-campus, it needs to know the city is prepared to develop a vision for their new home, he said.

Lightstone said the new centre’s design must ensure it becomes the “cultural hub for the city and for the region.”

Brock can partner with the city and Niagara Region to seek money for the development from the federal and provincial governments, Lightstone said.

Brock can also help with a fundraising campaign.

But the university wants to move “as quickly as it can,” he said.

As evidence of the city’s commitment to the project, it has already moved the city’s cultural services supervisor to city hall from a former location in a community centre and made the supervisor report directly to the acting CAO, McMullan said.

After councillors unanimously agreed to the new centre in principle, the people in the gallery applauded loudly.

“Normally, we don’t allow clapping,” McMullan said with a laugh.

Afterwards, McMullan said he is committed to seeing the performing arts centre “come to fruition,” and so is council.

“The political will is there,” he said. “In my opinion, this will be the catalyst that will bring untold economic benefits to our city and our downtown.”

The city has prepared numerous reports on the downtown, with one of the earliest going back to 1983, McMullan said.

“Of all the things attempted over the years, I think this will be the most significant thing we can do to revitalize the downtown.”

Old Posted Apr 25, 2007, 2:50 PM
BANNED

What's going on with your new tallest u/c?

Old Posted Apr 27, 2007, 3:39 PM

Hilton Expansion

Still pouring the concrete foundations

image from Access Niagara

Old Posted Apr 27, 2007, 9:47 PM

Historic Table Rock attraction receiving $32-million revamp

http://www.niagarafallsreview.ca/web...+News&classif=

JENNIFER PELLEGRINI
Local News - Friday, April 27, 2007 Updated @ 7:31:45 AM

The Niagara Parks Commission has broken ground on a $32-million facelift to Table Rock House, a project chairman Jim Williams said will bring the 19th-century edifice into the 21st century.

Built in 1856, Table Rock has become one of the most popular landmarks in the city.

It has been upgraded a number of times since the Niagara Parks Commission took ownership in 1886, but said Williams, "(it) is no longer the stately facility it once was and deserves to be."

He said the improvements will not only make Table Rock fully accessible to visitors, it will become a year-round destination with covered walkways, panoramic views and more to entice people into the building to meet, eat and shop....

Old Posted May 19, 2007, 1:37 AM

Talk seems to have completely halted here

BIGGER VENUE, BIGGER ACTS
Casino eyes 5,000-seat entertainment centre

COREY LAROCQUE
Local News - Wednesday, May 16, 2007 Updated @ 6:55:03 AM

Putting more bums in more seats could be part of Niagara Fallsview Casino Resort's recipe for keeping its gamblers happy.

Falls Management Co., is considering adding a 5,000-seat entertainment centre to the casino, said casino spokesman Greg Medulun....

http://www.niagarafallsreview.ca/web...0News&classif=

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario