HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 4:38 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
Interesting how you see cottages as an "anglo" thing.

I live in Northern Ontario and cottages (also known as camps here) are popular with anglophones and francophones. Also a lot of people from Italian background have them here. And we do have quite a few people with Italian roots. Same goes for Finnish and many others who have origins from different European countries. Although we don't have large visible minority groups I don't know of any who have cottages here which seems to be the same as down South. Some aboriginals here have cottages but most are more likely to have remote camps.
By "anglo" I think they mean "white Canadian". Going to the cottage (the Northern Ontario boy in me shudders at using the phrase) is most definitely a thing that is culturally ingrained in those who are descended from a European background.

I understand where it comes from though - in past days staying in the city was boring during the summer as there was no where near as much to do today and cities were much smoggier and polluted then. Getting away from it all to a lake was a nice change from the urban grind.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario