HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Feb 11, 2010, 10:08 PM

This is why I can't stand some of Toronto's suburbs. Vaughan does it again.

I am working on a project for school that actually happens to be in Vaughan.
As radical as I come across on here, I really do not hate the 905 suburbs, eventhough I do complain about some of their policies, etc.

Well today in our meeting, our entire group was in shock at what one of our group members read from the City of Vaughan's economic development reports.

Under a SWOT, they listed the following as a strength.

-The erosion of the City of Toronto as the central core of the Greater Toronto Area.

Under threats, they listed

-Area municipalities.
As in their neighbours have business growth that could go to Vaughan.

I think that is really low to consider the decline in your core city or even your neighbouring suburbs to be a good thing, etc. Instead of working together on a regional synergy to growth, etc, they just want to capture it all for themselves, and kill off their neighbours economic growth.

Vaughan and Mississauga are the two 905 suburbs I have no respect for.
And to think I was just starting to warm up to the idea of the Vaughan Corporate Centre, as that area is the site area we are working on. And I was starting to support the idea of a node with the subway station, etc.

Last edited by miketoronto; Feb 18, 2010 at 9:31 PM.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2010, 12:24 AM
I am a typical

Wow. Whatever will Vaughn do without the support of MikeToronto?!

Old Posted Feb 18, 2010, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator / Sr. Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketoronto View Post
Well today in our meeting, our entire group was in shock at what one of our group members read from the City of Vaughan's economic development reports.

Under a SWOT, they listed the following as a strength.

-The erosion of the City of Toronto as the central core of the Greater Toronto Area.

Under threats, they listed

-Area municipalities.
Do you have a source for this material? We could us a good laugh at work at the expense of the "City Above Toronto!"

The so-called city is such a joke in so many departments and they don't even know it...

Flickr®

Old Posted Feb 20, 2010, 7:21 AM
sick transit, gloria

Yeah, this is ridiculous but really shouldn't be surprising. The nature of the GTA and Provincial policy ensure that the municipalities are in constant competition for jobs. Economic development departments are pretty much only interested in this and will work towards the goal of job attraction. Vaughan has some brutal statements if these are in public documents, but Toronto does the same thing. Hell, it's basically the point of InvestToronto.

The only solution really is both a comprehensive economic strategy for the region and harmony of tax regimes. The way it is now outer municipalities can charge less on business taxes and higher on residential to attract business. They're making their money on development charges and can still attract residents since even with higher taxes a new suburban house is far cheaper than anything in inner-Toronto.

Oh, and for all the problems the GTA has with such matters it really pales in comparison with many American municipalities. They have far more places vying for resources in a finite pot.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2010, 6:18 PM
The Vomit Bag.

source: The Internet

Old Posted Apr 3, 2010, 6:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketoronto View Post
Vaughan and Mississauga are the two 905 suburbs I have no respect for.
I know that you at least provided evidence for your dislike for Vaughan, but where are you pulling out this 'Sauga bashing from? I haven't seen any reports from the city talking about the erosion of DT Toronto as a strength for it.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2010, 4:16 PM

Mississauga promotional literature does downplay the importance of Toronto, but never does suggest that any decline of Toronto would be a positive thing, or that Toronto should not be supported or itself promoted.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario