HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup

Old Posted Mar 5, 2007, 1:55 AM
Duke of Spook

Dac150: Thanks! What a compliment! The location is still up in the air, Montana is a tentative location right now. We'll see.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2007, 2:39 AM
Finger Lickin' Good.

Wow!! Absolutely stunning job, it looks like you have certainly been building this for quite some time! I, too, love the memorial, what an original idea! But, yes, I also agree with Dac150 that Montana may not be the best place, but it looks like you've already taken heed of that. Keep up the excellent work, and I can't wait to see more!!

Old Posted Mar 5, 2007, 2:44 AM
Duke of Spook

Thanks foxmbtr! I am most likely going to move Praesidium out of Montana, unless there is a huge uproar on this forum.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2007, 3:39 AM
Desert Dweller

Wow! Amazing!! I see you also used my textures (Hanso Corporation) eh I guess I let it slide again. I LOVE the Praesidium Stock and Board Exchange. MORE!!

But yes, move it out of Montana, I suggest a central state, Texas? Kansas? Nebraska? I suggest Nebraska. I also suggest turning off the edges.

Also, I scrapped the World Financial Crisis idea a while ago. I replaced it with the Stock Exchange Crash of 2001, which happened directly after the 9/11 Attacks. So the late 90's where Staunton's best years.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2007, 3:44 AM
Duke of Spook

Sorry about the texture-stealing. That texture is perfect though. It examplifies high-rises of the 70s and 80s. I'm a newb, what can I say. Also, I changed the World Financial Crisis to the Stock Exchange Crash of 2001.

I'm going to experiment with turning the edges off.

Thanks for the advice, Patrick.

Now, then. I need to change Praesidium's home state to somewhere less...remote. I've narrowed it down to a few states, but I am really torn between them. They are:

1. North Carolina
2. South Carolina
3. Utah
4. Ohio
5. Connecticut
6. Delaware
7. New Mexico
8. Minnesota

Please post which state you think it belongs in! Thanks!

Last edited by Dear Leader VI; Mar 5, 2007 at 3:50 AM.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2007, 4:24 AM
Finger Lickin' Good.

I can see Minnesota or New Mexico as good sites.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2007, 6:00 AM
Desert Dweller

North Carolina, seems perfect, although I still think it should go in a much more central state location.

Yes North Carolina, that was my 2nd Pic for Staunton's location, between New Jersey and California.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2007, 6:12 AM

i see Alabama or Arkansas as potential locations...

Old Posted Mar 5, 2007, 7:05 AM

haha, Oceanic Airlines and Hanso Corporation - didn't catch the office references though.

As for the city itself, it's a hell of a start - roads would be a very welcome addition at this point, but your highrise architecture really is something to behold. 1400 and 1300 feet are -massive- for your 2 tallest - if those are official heights (that is, excluding antenna etc), then they'd be the 2nd and 3rd tallest buildings in the US at present (shorter than Sears at 1451, but taller than the ESB's roof at 1250).

Old Posted Mar 5, 2007, 6:19 PM
World Machine

I'd put it in Delaware, a nice addition to the Northeast metro proximity. With a city of 2 million, I just don't see that out in the middle of nowhere. If not Delaware, then somewhere on the east coast. Not in a part of the country that has a higher population of livestock than people.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2007, 11:40 PM
Dare Mighty Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
I'd put it in Delaware, a nice addition to the Northeast metro proximity. With a city of 2 million, I just don't see that out in the middle of nowhere. If not Delaware, then somewhere on the east coast. Not in a part of the country that has a higher population of livestock than people.
Meh...I don't agree. I think the NE is already too cludered. I like the idea of being away from the major cities, and honestly, why can't it be in the middle of nowhere? Plus what about Denver, St. Louis, Phoenix, Dallas, and Minneapolis? They are all relatively not near major cities, and not all cities on the west coast have more livestock than people? What's so wrong about the West, anyway? Just my thoughts.

Dear Leader IV: Great Sketchup City you've got going there. Don't change the location just because people call for it, just do what you want to do . I love the idea of Praesidium!

Anthony

Old Posted Mar 5, 2007, 11:44 PM
Desert Dweller

But its Montana!

I still think North Carolina, but I'd really prefer a central state, far away from most major cities, lots of space, throw in a couple of tornados,

Old Posted Mar 5, 2007, 11:53 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiseAirport View Post
Meh...I don't agree. I think the NE is already too cludered. I like the idea of being away from the major cities, and honestly, why can't it be in the middle of nowhere? Plus what about Denver, St. Louis, Phoenix, Dallas, and Minneapolis? They are all relatively not near major cities, and not all cities on the west coast have more livestock than people? What's so wrong about the West, anyway? Just my thoughts.

Anthony

You just think that because your from that area. Having this city in the North East makes the setting of high pwered corporations more practical. There's nothing going on out there, and by having the city on a coastline, makes it more prone to industry. A city like this is more appropriate in the North East.

I mean, are there even 10,000 people living in Monatna??

Just not a spot for a major metropolitian city with 2 million people.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2007, 2:01 AM
Desert Dweller

Ladies please...

Dac150, its just fantasy, I do agree however, Montana is not the best place. Although this is just fantasy, it is very possible to have a city that large in Montana, why wouldnt it? There just never was one.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2007, 2:33 AM
Dare Mighty Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post

You just think that because your from that area. Having this city in the North East makes the setting of high pwered corporations more practical. There's nothing going on out there, and by having the city on a coastline, makes it more prone to industry. A city like this is more appropriate in the North East.

I mean, are there even 10,000 people living in Monatna??

Just not a spot for a major metropolitian city with 2 million people.
Wow, that was totally unnecessary. You could've taken the time to answer any of my questions logically, but apparently you couldn't do it without judging me and the location. Hell, same could be said about you, as you are obviously biased to the East, as it shows in your Avatar. So under your understanding, they can't praise where they live? Hmmm, that's a good rule!

I think it's hilarious, and extremely childish that you say there is nothing going on out here. After all, it's not as if many businesses, industries, and people aren't moving out here. Oh wait, that actually is the case. Don't believe me? Look at Phoenix, Tucson, Albuquerque, Los Angeles, San Diego, Seattle, Denver, and I'll even mention my hometown in Boise. Words aren't backing me up, statistics are. You don't have to search very hard to find that there "something" in the West, and that "something" is attracting hundreds upon hundreds of thousands of people every year.

Oh, and Montana doesn't have 10,000 people, it actually has near a million, if I remember correctly. Of course it's low because there aren't any major cities there, but there isn't any reason why there couldn't be. I mean, if there's Denver, Colorado then why can't there be Praesidium, Montana? Your logic does not make any sense, and next time, why don't you put a little effort into actually answering my questions?

PM me your reply, as to continue this discussion here would be unfair to Dear Leader IV.

Anthony

Old Posted Mar 6, 2007, 3:02 AM
Desert Dweller

^No! dont pm him, I wanna see the rest of the catfight! lol

But yeah like I said before

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Ladies please...

Dac150, its just fantasy, I do agree however, Montana is not the best place. Although this is just fantasy, it is very possible to have a city that large in Montana, why wouldnt it? There just never was one.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2007, 3:41 AM
Duke of Spook

Well guys, it seems I unintentionally sparked a huge debate about the future of Praesidium! I am from the East (Philly actually), and I see both sides of the argument. The East is more historically accurate for a city such as Praesidium to develop, much more so than parts of the West. However, I wanted to get away from the Eastern seaboard and the Boston - D.C. "megalopolis" of nearly a half-dozen cities. I wanted to find a remote yet central location in an underserved area of the United States. Immediately, parts of the South and Northwest come to mind. However, I wanted to stay away from the South (and the Sunbelt in particular) because Praesidium wasn't that type of city, with low-density, freeways, and sprawl stretching for miles. That doesn't mean I don't want to eventually create a city like that, but it just happened that Praesidium is a more San Francisco-Portland-New York-Chicago-type city in that it has been a large city for over a hundred years, it experiences all seasons (wait for the snow pictures!), and it has had much more time to establish its identity. I went with Montana because that area (Idaho-Montana-Western Washington-the Dakotas) does not have any gigantic metropolis, and there would be a reason for Praesidium to develop as such. In addition, Praesidium's relative proximity to the U.S. - Canada border makes it a great place for international trade.

I want to keep it in Montana, simply because it's a unique and interesting place for such a huge city to develop. Of course, the Montana Praesidium is in has far more than 1 million people in the state....

Thanks guys for your imput, but let's give Montana a chance.

PS_ Update by Wednesday! New city sections! Mass transit!

Old Posted Mar 6, 2007, 3:57 AM
Dare Mighty Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dear Leader VI View Post
Well guys, it seems I unintentionally sparked a huge debate about the future of Praesidium! I am from the East (Philly actually), and I see both sides of the argument. The East is more historically accurate for a city such as Praesidium to develop, much more so than parts of the West. However, I wanted to get away from the Eastern seaboard and the Boston - D.C. "megalopolis" of nearly a half-dozen cities. I wanted to find a remote yet central location in an underserved area of the United States. Immediately, parts of the South and Northwest come to mind. However, I wanted to stay away from the South (and the Sunbelt in particular) because Praesidium wasn't that type of city, with low-density, freeways, and sprawl stretching for miles. That doesn't mean I don't want to eventually create a city like that, but it just happened that Praesidium is a more San Francisco-Portland-New York-Chicago-type city in that it has been a large city for over a hundred years, it experiences all seasons (wait for the snow pictures!), and it has had much more time to establish its identity. I went with Montana because that area (Idaho-Montana-Western Washington-the Dakotas) does not have any gigantic metropolis, and there would be a reason for Praesidium to develop as such. In addition, Praesidium's relative proximity to the U.S. - Canada border makes it a great place for international trade.

I want to keep it in Montana, simply because it's a unique and interesting place for such a huge city to develop. Of course, the Montana Praesidium is in has far more than 1 million people in the state....

Thanks guys for your imput, but let's give Montana a chance.

PS_ Update by Wednesday! New city sections! Mass transit!
Wow, sounds very cool! Praesidium has actually inspired me to create my own city yet again, which'll be posted here probably tomorrow. The whole thing regardless of location is very nice, and you better live up to your expectations, otherwise I'll be forever pissed! Hahaha, just kidding on the latter part.

Anthony

Old Posted Mar 6, 2007, 5:28 AM
Finger Lickin' Good.

Alrighty, I'm glad to see you stuck with your own idea, it's your city after all! I can't wait to see more updates (and the same with your city, BoiseAirport)!

Old Posted Mar 6, 2007, 4:41 PM
World Machine

Sorry if I came off like a Bastard. Business mid-terms this week + all nighters of studying= one pissed of person.

Getting back to the city, Foxmtbr makes an obvious point: "after all it's you city." With that I agree and am looking foward to seeing some updates.

Boise......nothing personal, just with studying business and all, my corporate mindset kicks in sometimes with these cities regarding location and benefit. I forget its just for fun sometimes, especially this week.

Alright back on topic.............................................................................

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup