HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Oct 4, 2007, 11:21 PM

Urban Outfitters doesn't sell clothes with their own name on it, but its just clothes that are made from other clothing designers... The clothes don't really show any flashy logos either... its a lot different than Abercrombie.. a lot cheaper too. Most of the clothes are low priced and not exactly super preppy. The store leans more toward the "Indie/Emo/kind of Preppy" crowd... They also have house accessories and some high priced stuff like high quality jeans.

Any of the Urban Outfitters I've been to haven't been in enclosed malls, but outdoor retail areas.. such as San Francisco, Walnut Creek, San Jose, Pasadena, Santa Monica, Boston...

Old Posted Oct 5, 2007, 12:09 AM
BUFF$LUT

yes, as trojan said, the clothes is like emo/scene/indie/80's revival-ish. they carry acid washed jeans for girls, and colorful pastels with HUGE words like "FRANKIE SAYS RELAX" or like my favorite shirt, "MO MONEY MO BITCHES." it's very popular amongst the suburban kids who want to make a statement with their clothing, and VERRRRRRRRRY different than abercrombie, ESPECIALLY wal-mart. wal-mart is only cool in small towns with farms and tractors, at my school, (sacramento city college) the people who wear wal-mart clothes hang out by the soda machines, which are secluded from society itself.

www.urbanoutfitters.com

just see for yourself, TWAK.

i get a %40 discount haaaaaaay.

although i think if urban outfitters were to be on k street it would bring SOOOOOOO MUCH LIFE to that area!!

every u.o. i've been to is ALWAYS full and "a happenin' spot."

the one in SF is 4 stories, i'd argue it has more customers than downtown plaza!!

aaaaaaaaand if that american apparel would've been located next to u.o on k street, wow. i can't even imagine.

k street would be revived from the grave.

www.americanapparel.net

also a great store.

so yeah, consider yourselves INFORMED!

Old Posted Oct 5, 2007, 6:29 AM

I need to use your discount...

Old Posted Oct 5, 2007, 6:46 AM
Here we stAy

Me too.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2007, 10:15 AM
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownserg89 View Post
wal-mart is only cool in small towns with farms and tractors
Well I am from DIXON
I'm more of a cargo pant-sale rack shirt kinda guy.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2007, 3:46 PM
Hindrance to Development

I don't shop at Abercrombie & Fitch either...or Wal-Mart, for that matter.

The "Frankie Says Relax" T-shirts were a bad idea when they first came out, when I was in high school. Like the song says, don't do it. Sounds like Arden Fair is the perfect place for it: for the suburban kids who don't quite make it all the way downtown.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2007, 8:27 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
I don't shop at Abercrombie & Fitch either...or Wal-Mart, for that matter.

The "Frankie Says Relax" T-shirts were a bad idea when they first came out, when I was in high school. Like the song says, don't do it. Sounds like Arden Fair is the perfect place for it: for the suburban kids who don't quite make it all the way downtown.
There you go again...LOL! Wburg.. get over your small minded Suburban VS Urban people. It doesn't exist here, except in your tiny circle...

Old Posted Oct 7, 2007, 3:39 AM

Urban Outfitters, hmmm...everytime I read "Outfitters" I assumed it was some kind of outdoor store. Man was I wrong; never really thought about it. I lost all of my potential excitement. Aaaaaaaaaaaanyway, how about those skyscrapers.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2007, 6:50 AM
Closed account

SACUNION ORIGINAL: Sacramento Railyards EIR Released
Public Review Period Open through Oct. 3
By LANCE ARMSTRONG, Sacramento Union Writer
Published: September 7, 2007 17:36

The long-awaited Draft Environmental Impact Report for the Sacramento Railyards was released Aug. 20, giving the community the opportunity to view the updated evaluation of this extensive downtown development site. The public now has a 45-day review period, ending Oct. 3, to provide written feedback regarding this report.

In addition to written submissions, individuals can voice their comments about the EIR at a public hearing, which will be held at the historic City Hall, 915 I St., Second Floor, in Sacramento on Sept. 13 at 5:30 p.m.

The EIR, which was prepared during a 15-month period dating back to March 2006, was completed in compliance with the California Environmental Quality Act and includes a project review of the Railyards Specific Plan—the proposed mixed-use development in the Richards Boulevard area, which would include 10,000 to 12,500 dwelling units, more than 2.3 million square feet of office space, 1,100 hotel rooms, about 1.4 million square feet of retail, 487,390 square feet of historic/ cultural space, and about 41.6 acres of open space.

The 2-inch thick, spiral bound report, which is also available in an electronic version, is a highly detailed document, which is designed to “inform public decision makers and the public about the proposed project and potentially significant adverse environmental impacts that may result from the adoption and implementation of the proposed project, and to identify appropriate feasible mitigation measures and alternatives that may be adopted to reduce or eliminate impacts.”

The report details the presence of hazardous materials and pollutants that currently exist within the railyards’ boundaries, which are described as property bounded by North B Street and the Sacramento River Water Treatment Plant to the north, the Sacramento River to the west, H and I streets to the south and 7th and 12th streets to the east.

Chemicals present in the site’s soil are divided into the following five categories: metals, asbestos, volatile organic compounds, petroleum hydrocarbons, and semi-volatile organic compounds.

In regard to asbestos, the EIR includes information relating to issues associated with possible hazards from historic building materials containing asbestos, which could be disturbed by project activities and result in the emission of harmful asbestos fibers.

The report also specifies the neighboring areas of Alkali Flat and the Ping Yuen residences across I Street as being more sensitive to air pollutants.

Another study included in the EIR relates to historical archaeological sensitivity within the entire 240-acre railyards site, which is described as having “the potential to contain important historical archaeological deposits.”

Five areas of the railyards are highlighted within this segment of the report.

The first of these areas is the Depot District, which included a Chinese neighborhood along I Street, the promontory and 7th Street, possible wharfs, an early levee, and a large portion of China Slough or Sutter Lake – a historic body of water, which once encompassed the city blocks between Front and 6th streets and G and I streets.

The area, according to this segment of the report, may contain “remains associated with Chinese neighborhood and other occupants, unique artifacts from the railyard operations, as well as historic environmental information.”

The report indicates that railroad operations artifacts from the slough, which was filled in by 1910, apparently include parts of early locomotives and obsolete railroad equipment.

Another segment of the report states that the slough area also has the possibility of including obsolete railroad cars and Chinese fishing boats.

Other historical archaeological sensitive areas designated in the EIR are: the Central Shop District, the Riverfront District, the West End and the East End.

Although not mentioned in the EIR, the current railyards project has resulted in a variety of publicly unspecified artifacts.

Pat Johnson, senior archivist of the Sacramento Archives and Museum Collection Center, recently commented to The Union regarding these artifacts unearthed from the railyards.

“The city of Sacramento has received the materials from the railyards, but they’re unprocessed, so they’re not available at this time,” Johnson said. “There’s about a pallet’s worth with about 48 (1-cubic-foot) boxes. We didn’t open any of the boxes; they remain sealed at this point and it will take up to a year to determine what the artifacts are. We don’t know what part of the railyards they came from; they were packed up by the General Services people and then we took delivery of them from the General Services people.”

Responding to an additional inquiry, Johnson added that she has no knowledge whether any human remains were recently discovered at the railyards.

The EIR does, however, include information about prehistoric remains, which were previously discovered in the area.

Supporting The Union’s previous investigation into the possibility of a Chinese cemetery being located within the railyards, the EIR includes the following words: “There is also a possibility of at least one Chinese cemetery on the margins of Sutter Lake; historical research has neither confirmed nor conclusively refuted the existence of these sites. If there are cemeteries, they may be associated with the Chinese religious buildings (in the area).”

According to the EIR, “If human remains are discovered at the construction site during any phase of construction, all grounddisturbing activity within 50 feet of the resources shall be halted and the county coroner shall be notified immediately.”

Within the report’s Cultural Resources section, six areas in the railyards have been identified as “archaeological sensitive areas.” These areas are noted as having the potential for including both historic-era and prehistoric-era resources.

Other concerns referred to in the EIR relate to such issues as the proposed project’s possible effects on global warming, water quality, fish and wildlife, the generation of particulate matter during grading of construction site(s) and construction of proposed structures, considerable alterations to the historic Southern Pacific Railroad buildings, and increases in traffic.

Certainly, as a document of such magnitude, the EIR is much more detailed than can be thoroughly summarized within the space provided in this paper.

Those interested in viewing or obtaining copies of the EIR can do so through the city of Sacramento Web site at www.cityofsacramento. org/dsd/projects/railyards/ or at the following locations: the historic City Hall, 915 I St., Third Floor, Sacramento; the Sacramento Public Library, 828 I St., Sacramento; and the City of Sacramento North Permit Center, 2101 Arena Blvd., Ste. 200, Sacramento. The Arena Boulevard location is the only site where one can receive a hardcopy version of the report.

The public is invited to submit written commentary regarding the EIR to either the e-mail address srjohnson@cityofsacramento. org or to: Scott Johnson, Associate Planner, City of Sacramento Development Services Department, North Permit Center, 2101 Arena Blvd., Sacramento, CA 95834.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2007, 7:02 AM

It's been a couple weeks. How about a mini update of a few projects?

Cooper Union doing its thing:

I was walking down G Street, and I saw the old Travelodge buildings with fences around them:

"Retrolodge"??? A quick Google search sent me to the downtownsac website:
http://www.downtownsac.org/index.php...9&categoryID=0
Nice

I was looking forward to these projects from Shepard Johnson (the same developer building the North End Lofts). They carried with them the hope to liven up the eerily quiet area:

Upon closer inspection of one of the signs, I saw some notices:

So the properties are in dispute....Sh&t!!

The Orleans "Hotel" is at street level:

Yeah, CalSTRS is coming along:

This view will be gone soon:

Yup, because the world's longest foundation build is coming to an end. The rebar is down and the pours are happening:

Yeah, 621 Crapitol is still there:

Now I'm just gonna screw around:

Where am I?

This guy was bugging me. It turns out he just wanted his portrait taken:

Dammit, Vader, I wish I knew how to quit you:

Ha ha ha ha ha!!!

Ferrari can suck it. Ladies and gentleman, the Carerra GT:

Now, I prefer the 911 Turbo. It's the best road car in the world. Plus, it's a lot cheaper at only $130,000 with a couple of options including the Sport Chrono package. However, if I had $444,000 to spend...I love you Carrera GT. I'm gonna dream about you tonight.

Last edited by snfenoc; Oct 7, 2007 at 7:12 AM.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2007, 7:13 AM
CHACUN SON GOÛT

snfenoc,
Great pics! The water fountain is....ummm....at McGeorge School of Law?

Old Posted Oct 7, 2007, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snfenoc View Post
Now, I prefer the 911 Turbo. It's the best road car in the world. Plus, it's a lot cheaper at only $130,000 with a couple of options including the Sport Chrono package. However, if I had $444,000 to spend...I love you Carrera GT. I'm gonna dream about you tonight.
Good choice!

Old Posted Oct 7, 2007, 10:16 PM
Finger Lickin' Good.

Great update!

Old Posted Oct 8, 2007, 8:34 AM

thanks for the update. looks like things are finally starting to come around. the fountain is KCRA by the way.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2007, 4:36 PM

And futureacrchie317 is the winner!!!!

Here are a couple more updates:

Sutter Expansion:

When I was at the Sutter site, this interesting person passed by me:

It took me a few seconds to realize that was a dude!!! Wow!

The Sutter town homes:

That Mercy medical office (30th & Q?):

I think this (!!HUGE!!) site at Alhambra and S is for the Trammell Crow developmet:

Tapestri Square:

The finish materials actually look pretty good. I was kinda worried the final product would look cheap. I'm pleasantly surprised:

The So Crap Lofts (The model for these looks a little cheap. I'm not sure how well they will hold up):

Old Posted Oct 8, 2007, 4:46 PM
Hindrance to Development

I haven't had a chance to tour the SoCap lofts yet. The Tapestri units came out looking really nice inside and out. Apparently this housing style is a big hit: they're selling as fast as the units are completed.

And yes, that big lot is the Trammell Crow project: I talked with one of the architects at the Light Rail 20th anniversary and apparently they were pulling lots of asbestos out of the Buzz-boxes along R Street but otherwise they're proceeding just fine.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2007, 6:54 PM
CHACUN SON GOÛT

snfenoc,
Dont make fun of my grandma, ever since the "change of life" (menopause) she's complained of broad shoulders, big hands and feet, unwanted facial hair and a rock in her throat.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2007, 7:33 PM

Anybody know what happened to the project that was suppose to replace library lofts? If I recall correctly, there was an article posting that another developer submited plans for the site that were "nearly identical" to the canceled library lofts. I haven't heard anything since.

Also, where is The Metropolitan in the approval process? Has there been any further talk on moving the greyhound station?

Old Posted Oct 9, 2007, 3:52 AM
Kodachrome

Nice shots Steve

Last Saturday I got to go on a hardhat tour of The L Street Lofts. They are
getting it up and ready ASAP. I was told that in December people will begin
to move in. Anyway, for those that are interested, the nice people at the
Lofts are offering tours of the under construction building to anyone who's
interested at 3pm everyday (I believe?)... just call to get signed up.

This room rocks. I love how the concrete column on the wall has the same
texture as the ceiling.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2007, 5:01 AM
Kodachrome

Oh, here's one more nice one

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area