HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jul 6, 2011, 4:02 AM

4th of July, 2011, Huntington Beach, CA

This 4th of July, I remembered why I really don't go into Huntington Beach. Of the Orange County beach cities, it's the trashiest. Yeah, there are some resort hotels there, it's now officially known as Surf City, USA, blah blah blah... but there's definitely a white trash element to Huntington Beach. I think it's a vestige of when the city was an oil-producing town, and many residents were blue-collar workers who worked in the oil industry. The Huntington Beach High School sports team is called the Oilers. According to the 2010 census, Huntington Beach has a population of 189,992. The racial makeup of Huntington Beach is 145,661 White, 1,813 African American, 992 Native American, 21,070 Asian, 635 Pacific Islander, 11,193 from other races, and 8,628 from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 32,411 persons.

My partner and I decided to go to Huntington Beach on a whim for the 4th of July. There used to be problems on July 4th in Huntington Beach, with riots, arrests, public drunkenness and even assaults and some deaths. But we haven't heard about this on our local news in a while, so we decided to check it out for the 4th.

What a culture shock; as soon as we started approaching the center of town, we started seeing huge monster trucks with big American flags on them. We also saw houses decorated to the hilt with American flags and red white and blue bunting. I'd never seen white people drinking and barbecuing in their FRONT yards before; I felt like I was in another state-- but oh yeah, this is Orange County.

This was actually a decent neighborhood, but I'd never seen so much patriotism in California before.

Lots of megachurches in Huntington Beach, too; lots of them in Orange County in general.

One of the more subdued ones.

After walking through that residential neighborhood, we started walking into the downtown, on Main Street; a few blocks of it was closed to vehicular traffic for the holiday. Downtown is right near the beach and pier. At first it looked OK, but then we started passing people who smelled of liquor, people with slurred speech, some people who couldn't walk straight, and it was only around 6:30pm or so. It was still interesting to watch people and their behaviors, though.

Notice the out of state plates, the car on the left has Arizona plates; it's common to see those (as well as Nevada and New Mexico plates) in the summertime in SoCal, I assume those Arizonans wanna get out of the hot desert summer heat. It's actually common to see lots of out of state plates in SoCal during the summer, as well as Canadian and Mexican plates. The Jeep has Connecticut plates, I believe.

I think this picture sums it up:

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jul 6, 2011, 4:43 AM

ahh orange county. lol.

Huntington is alright, but i would take Hermosa and Manhattan beach over it any day.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2011, 5:03 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

Orange County is gross.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Jul 6, 2011, 5:31 AM
International

coastal arizona

Old Posted Jul 6, 2011, 5:49 AM

At least the girls were hot, but great pictures anyways.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2011, 7:20 AM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingofthehill View Post
coastal arizona
Is that what they call it?! lol

Old Posted Jul 8, 2011, 6:00 AM

I've never been. Nice photos. Thank you for sharing.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2011, 7:42 AM

Ugh those first pictures show why Orange County is so lame...looks like Sarah Palin's wet dream.

Santa Monica yes plzzzz.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2011, 5:13 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

What's up with the stars and bars surfboard? Man, those are some pretty tacky decorations, I've never seen anything quite like that before. It's not my idea of patriotism to make ghastly decorations with chopped up and tortured bits of the flag, to be sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
"At first it looked OK, but then we started passing people who smelled of liquor, people with slurred speech, some people who couldn't walk straight, and it was only around 6:30pm or so."
Sounds like a typical festival like st. pattys or mardi gras (st. louis has a monsterous one) in the midwest - lite. you'd be seeing more vomit and grown ass adults laying face down in the alley, though.

Thanks for the post, though, very interesting.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2011, 6:21 PM

Thanks for exposing the belly of Huntington Beach.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2011, 8:32 PM
Unicorn Wizard!

It's trashy, but its also public and open to everyone which is what I appreciate. They should just increase police presence and deal with incidents in crowds by investing in those mobile cameras/mics on a telescoping pole and deploying them during certain events. Arrest enough people and the word will get out that shit isn't tolerated. It worked in Virginia Beach(though I think the profanity ban is fascist)

But yeah, I've dealt with people like that. I went to the lake and the people camping next to us were already drunk. The redneck dude gets out of his huge pickup with a can of bud light, and immediately gets into an argument with the campsite manager. Fun

Old Posted Jul 9, 2011, 3:45 PM

Quote:
coastal arizona
When someone tried to sell me beachfront property in Arizona, this must have been what he was referring to.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2011, 1:58 AM

come on guys, don't tar Orange County with one brush just cos of some Huntington Beach pics (taken on July 4th no less). yes HB is trashy and gross and a tiny bit creepy but it's a bit of an outlier in the OC. the OC is 3 million people and very diverse - from middle-eastern anaheim to mexican santa ana, vietnamese garden grove, asian and korean westminster, hipster costa mesa, preppy newport, cookie cutter mission viejo, upscale arty laguna etc. when we lived in Costa Mesa/Santa Ana we used to drive through Huntington Beach and think it was like another planet.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2011, 2:33 AM

I agree with johnnypd. I grew up in Newport Beach and while it's certainly not Santa Monica or the Bay Area and I'm glad to be in DC now and doubt I would move back to the Orange Curtain, it's better than many people give it credit for. Laguna Beach is beautiful, the peninsula and Balboa Island in Newport Beach are a lot of fun, Seal Beach is a great beach town and from what I remember, old town Orange is an attractive college neighborhood. Orange County has 3 - 3.5M people, it is certainly an increasingly diverse place.

Quote:
Notice the out of state plates, the car on the left has Arizona plates; it's common to see those (as well as Nevada and New Mexico plates) in the summertime in SoCal, I assume those Arizonans wanna get out of the hot desert summer heat.
I agree, it seems like the half of the states of Arizona and Nevada take sabbatical during the month of August and visit coastal Orange County.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2011, 2:41 AM

Alta Coffee on the Newport Peninsula is a safehaven from conservative OC. It's highly recommended next time anyone passes through there.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/alta-coffee-newport-beach

Old Posted Jul 10, 2011, 2:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
Alta Coffee on the Newport Peninsula is a safehaven from conservative OC. It's highly recommended next time anyone passes through there.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/alta-coffee-newport-beach
the people who own Alta are friends of a friend, love sitting outside having a coffee on a warm evening.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2011, 4:43 AM
disneypilled verhoevenist

fuck west coast conservatives

Old Posted Jul 10, 2011, 8:54 AM

Whats so wrong of smelling of booze on the 4th of July??Its a festival
yeah!

Old Posted Jul 11, 2011, 10:29 AM
BANNED

the thing with hb is that unlike south oc beach towns newport, cdm, laguna, it's probably the only oc beach town accessible to all demographics of oc and the inland empire - hence it attracts pretty much all the white trash from over these parts, of which there's many

but i think you guys are unfairly trashing hb in particular for the kinds of july 4 crowds it attracts - residents of huntington beach are probably split right down the middle, making it one of the bluer cities in oc (compare it with posher but defiantly republican south oc beach towns people here seem to like), and its city gov't is relatively progressive. it's no republic of santa monica, but it definitely bucks the oc trend.

matter of fact, i think hb was one of the only cities that lobbied octa for money to study a LRT spur from anaheim when centerline was being killed by the rest of oc, and had somewhat of a new urbanist master plan (which fell victim to the economy of course). say what on will about its visitors, but the city itself is no conservative backwater by any yardstick

Last edited by edluva; Jul 11, 2011 at 10:43 AM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos