HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 28, 2009, 5:59 PM
BANNED

Nice renderings of Hotel SoMa, 690 Fifth St, with its see-through glass pool:

There now:

Source all images: http://sf.curbed.com/archives/2009/0...eader_comments

Old Posted May 28, 2009, 6:07 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Is this the same one we were talking about a month ago or so? I thought that was mid-block. Is this another hotel for that area or is my memory failing me yet again?

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted May 28, 2009, 6:11 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
Is this the same one we were talking about a month ago or so? I thought that was mid-block. Is this another hotel for that area or is my memory failing me yet again?
I can't say for sure what you were thinking of but what I immediately thought of was the one on Mission St near Fifth (and "Mint Place" I think it's called--where the new pedestrian plaza is next to the Old Mint). This one is 690 Fifth--6 blocks deep into SOMA (at Townsend).

By the way, turn the page back and check out an actual new highrise

More about Hotel SoMa from the old Curbed article:

Quote:
Designing for client Metrovation, DB+P have lofty goals for the hotel: Located near CalTrain (since most tourists use CalTrain) and the 3rd Street light rail, Hotel SOMA will also offer bike rentals so that guests can enjoy an offset-reduced stay. (Did we mention that they're going for LEED green certification? Well, they are). We're very interested to see the final interior and exterior designs: The place will light up "like a lantern" at night, an effect created by energy efficient LED lights sandwiched between panes of glass. The truly promising visual statement, however, lies in the hotel swimming pool, a blown glass, clear bottom vessel that will be suspended over the sidewalk below, casting light and shadows onto passers-by. The possibilities are endless here... (Call us easily amused.)

As a longtime proponent of high density urban living whose firm resides in the very sort of neighborhood he builds for (SoMa), DB+P have partnered with several local agencies to design high-quality affordable housing in San Francisco and Oakland. They do market-rate work, too (case in point!) but even then, appear to remain committed to keeping their visions grounded: For instance, the firm has promised to turn out the Hotel SOMA in furnishings purchased locally, which this shouldn't pose too much of a logistical problem given the site's proximity to San Francisco's design district. Here's one to keep tabs on, for design whores and greenies alike.
Source: http://sf.curbed.com/archives/2007/1...hotel_soma.php

Old Posted May 28, 2009, 6:36 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Yep, that's the one I had in mind. I saw Fifth St and didn't really think about the street address. Interesting spot for a hotel. I assume this is sarcasm on Curbed's part: "since most tourists use CalTrain". Maybe the market is people who party too late into the night and miss the last train down the peninsula? Really cool design though.

I saw the hospital post too. nequidnimis posted the aerial renderings a few pages back and I didn't have anything new to say, other than I wonder why they didn't include the MOB in their renderings?

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted May 29, 2009, 4:14 AM

Hotel SoMa - Pool

Hitchcock would probably have included a scene in Vertigo of the pool. Really cool idea. If built I'll be there to take a look for sure!

Old Posted May 29, 2009, 3:06 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Friday, May 29, 2009
AvalonBay gets OK for $65M Balboa project in S.F.
Development includes 173 apartments, grocer
San Francisco Business Times - by J.K. Dineen

AvalonBay has won San Francisco Planning Commission approval for its $65 million, 173-unit apartment complex on Ocean Avenue, a project the city hopes will spur more housing and retail development in San Francisco’s Balboa Park area.

The development, which will include a 28,000-square-foot grocery store, will replace the Kragen auto parts store and parking lot at 1150 Ocean Ave. The 1.8-acre site just south of Phelan Avenue and abutting the city college campus, is the first project approved under the Balboa Park rezoning the Board of Supervisors adopted in April.

AvalonBay Senior Development Director Meg Spriggs said the company hopes to start construction on the two-building complex at the end of 2010 or the first quarter of 2011. Construction would likely take about 18 months, meaning that the project would open in 2012 at the earliest.

AvalonBay has been one of San Francisco’s most active developers over the past decade, completing 823 rental units in Mission Bay north, a $400 million investment. With that neighborhood mostly built out, AvalonBay has been actively looking at other neighborhoods, including the city-owned Block 8 on Folsom Street.

At the Ocean Avenue site, the developer was drawn to the rich public transit — downtown is a 13-minute ride from the Balboa Park BART station — and proximity of schools including City College, Balboa High School and the private school Lick Wilmerding, according to Spriggs. Given the college campus and rich public transportation options, “there is little to no supply of higher-density rental housing in this part of San Francisco,” said Spriggs.

“It’s a great urban infill location and the beauty of it is the bones are already there. The infrastructure is already there. There are tons of little neighborhoods and a nice little business district along Ocean Avenue,” said Spriggs.

AvalonBay has yet to sign on a grocery store to occupy the ground floor of the project. Matt Holmes of the brokerage Retail West has been retained to to lease the space. Peter Waller of Pyatok is the architect.

“We have been pleasantly surprised by the level of initial interest in the space and we have had several meaningful conversations with retailers,” said Spriggs.

AvalonBay started working with the Planning Department in 2005 when the Balboa Park master plan was in its early stages. Because they were involved so early, AvalonBay’s project specific environmental impact report was included in the master environmental impact report for the neighborhood.

“Our goal was to get behind the plan, design our project collaboratively with the city and the community and be in a position to get our project approvals as soon as the Balboa Park plan was approved,” said Spriggs.

Matt Holmes said the site has attractive densities and attractive demographics with over 35 percent college graduates. “The demographics are there already, they really are. The design of the space is outstanding. They have really built a great mousetrap there,” he said.

Email J.K. Dineen at jkdineen@bizjournals.com / (415) 288-4971
Source: http://sanfrancisco.bizjournals.com/...01/story7.html

Old Posted May 30, 2009, 6:13 AM
BANNED

Socketsite reports action at 1844 Market (Next to the GLBT Center)

The evidence:

The rendering:

The project: "113 "fabulous" rental (but condo maped) units, 90 underground parking spaces, and 5,000 square feet of retail "

Source images and info (and a lot of bitchy comment): http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2....html#comments

Last edited by BTinSF; May 31, 2009 at 3:06 AM.

Old Posted May 30, 2009, 6:31 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Socketsite reports action at 1844 Market

I excitedly noticed this last Sunday and shamefully forgot to report it.

Another good sign is that the former Unocal 76 station up the street has finally closed, with the gas pumps recently being removed. Could it possibly be that we will have two knock out projects starting within a block of one another?!

Old Posted May 30, 2009, 4:31 PM

Very possible. Which one will have the lowest prices?

Old Posted May 30, 2009, 9:04 PM
Only Mostly Dead

The Saitowitz Octavia building is right there too. How are your views of these properties, viewguy?

Old Posted May 30, 2009, 9:59 PM

1844 Market Street

I was by 1844 Market recently and saw the activity. I thought the project was dead and was wondering what the machines were scratching the dirt for. Glad to see the empty space finally being filled.

Old Posted May 30, 2009, 10:36 PM

this is the project that was supposed to include a zen center of some sort right?

Old Posted May 31, 2009, 3:08 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewguysf View Post
Socketsite reports action at 1844 Market

I excitedly noticed this last Sunday and shamefully forgot to report it.
Well, you have a life. I, one the other hand, am retired.

Old Posted May 31, 2009, 8:58 PM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
The Saitowitz Octavia building is right there too. How are your views of these properties, viewguy?
I can zero right in on the Market and Octavia project (even being able to see most of the old gas station now), but I'll only be able to see the top of the one next to the LGBT Center because of surrounding buildings. In the scheme of things though, these projects are quite small on the horizon. They will certainly make a great impression on that segment of Market Street though and I'm really looking forward to them. I just hope that some convenient gas stations will be left somewhere since it's a necessary commodity purchase!

Old Posted May 31, 2009, 9:03 PM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTinSF View Post
Well, you have a life. I, one the other hand, am retired.
Well, by the time I drag myself into the house on Friday evenings, I often wish that I were retired too!

Old Posted Jun 1, 2009, 4:52 PM
Only Mostly Dead

So maybe you can get overhead distance shots and some street-level shots on these projects when they start. That would be much appreciated. It seems like all the action is too far west on Market for me to see in person. Other than One Hawthorne, everything around here is complete or stalled.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2009, 7:54 PM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Dirt work doesn't mean actual construction--just look at 535 Mission.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2009, 8:50 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Very true, and 535 went far enough to complete pile driving. But these days even possible site prep is cause for celebration.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2009, 6:02 PM
Only Mostly Dead

They've taken most of the wraps off One Kearny (at least on the Market side):

The historic part doesn't look dramatically different, although you can tell they've cleaned up the masonry. I'm guessing they also replaced the windows and re-did all the water-proofing:

Last edited by peanut gallery; Jun 2, 2009 at 9:13 PM.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2009, 6:13 PM

While I like the look of the new part now, it just looks like something that will look horribly dated in a couple decades. Hopefully it ages better than I think it will.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations