HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 6, 2015, 6:03 AM

Does anyone know what's going on on the western right-of-way between the San Carlos and Belmont Caltrain stations?

Old Posted Oct 7, 2015, 6:36 AM
heavy user of walkability

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIESELPOLO View Post
Does anyone know what's going on on the western right-of-way between the San Carlos and Belmont Caltrain stations?
there's a transit village project there which this may already be...

Old Posted Oct 7, 2015, 9:13 PM
Only Mostly Dead

New condos are coming to West Oakland. I hadn't realized how little has been built lately in West Oakland. There's a lot of available land and great connectivity to jobs in SF and the East Bay. It doesn't seem that long ago there were a few things under construction and more in the pipeline. Glad something is getting started. From the SF Business Times:

Quote:
City Ventures has started construction on a 171-unit for-sale townhouse project in West Oakland.

The project, bounded by 14th, Wood and 16th streets and Frontage Road, is the first major ground-up construction in West Oakland since 2008 and is one of the only major for-sale market-rate projects under construction in all of Oakland. Madison Park Financial opened Lampwork Lofts in 2014 in the neighborhood, but that was a historic conversion. The neighborhood has a deep pipeline of ambitious projects and the start of construction signals that at least some real estate developments can get financing in the rapidly changing neighborhood and city.

-------------

City Ventures has also filed applications for another 126 units at 2210 Filbert St. and 2310 Myrtle St. in West Oakland.
Looking at their video, they are shooting for a young, hip, creative clientele.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Oct 13, 2015, 7:28 AM

along Caltrain, San Mateo County

the Cove at Oyster Point, South San Francisco, poor photo from moving Caltrain:

at Hayward Park station in San Mateo, as mentioned previously, the old large Kmart building has been demolished to make way for 600 housing units

there is at least one project next door along the freeway as well, which is farther along, but I'm not sure what that is anymore. think it was office.

speaking of office, the first office building is rising at Bay Meadows, southern San Mateo

the rest continues to progress, hugging the horizon...

Old Posted Oct 17, 2015, 3:13 AM
Only Mostly Dead

I'm pretty sure I posted news about the proposed Museum Tower in San Jose but can't find it. Oh well, here's a video of it:
Video Link

This is a rendering of the project:

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Last edited by peanut gallery; Nov 8, 2015 at 4:19 AM.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2015, 3:52 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

^That is pretty cool.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2015, 4:37 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Yeah, I really like how those garden terraces step down to an expanded garden on the roof of the museum. It looks good from the other side too.

Last edited by peanut gallery; Oct 23, 2015 at 5:41 PM.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2015, 4:40 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Three new developments that are planned to start in Oakland next year:

Quote:
2935 Telegraph Ave. in the hot Uptown neighborhood: Madison Park is partnering with Ronald Nahas in a joint venture to build 162 residential units and 4,045 square feet of retail. The project has a $58 million budget and was designed from MBH Architects. The project needs final city approvals and is expected to break ground in April 2016.

Gallot at 3014 Chapman St. near the Fruitvale BART station: Madison Park is planning 41 residential units with a $15 million budget. Baran Studio is the architect. The project hasn't been entitled yet and construction is set to begin in August 2016.

Coast at 2715 Adeline Street in West Oakland: Madison Park Financial is the fee developer for the site's owner, who is from Thailand. The project will have 42 residential work-live units with a $15 million budget. Levy Design, the architect for Lampwork Lofts and other projects, is the architect. Construction is slated for December 2016.
More details and renderings at the SF Business Times.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2015, 8:06 PM

The former Sears Building/Future Uber/Uptown Station that had scaffolding go up, then taken down, has scaffolding going up again:

Old Posted Nov 4, 2015, 11:45 PM
Only Mostly Dead

I guess with the change of ownership, there was a change in contractors and scaffolding. Looks pretty funny from the outside though.

In related news, the Uber building may be getting some company in the future. From the SF Business Times:

Quote:
Last spring, well-connected developer and Oakland lifer Alan Dones had a shot to buy the old Sears building at 19th and Telegraph. Dones’ deal crumbled, leaving an opening for Menlo Park-based Lane Partners to swoop in.

---------------

Lane Partners and Dones’ TB2 Retail Complex LLC are now coming together for what looks like an even bigger deal. The developers plan to build more than 2 acres of offices, housing and retail at 2100 Telegraph Ave., possibly Oakland’s largest development downtown site. It could be large enough to hold another Sears-sized building.

---------------

Lane Partners said part of the site, a block away from Uber’s future office, will hold an office building with large floor plates, the set-up preferred by technology companies. It’s also Lane Partners’ specialty, as the firm has built up a portfolio of technology campuses in Sunnyvale and Redwood City.

---------------

The development team will host a public forum at Impact Hub Oakland about “transforming adjacent properties into a vibrant community of stores, homes, offices and plazas.” It will be the first step in what will likely be a lengthy public process before the site is entitled and constructed. The city will need to greenlight the joint venture between Lane Partners and Dones.

That’s because most of the site is made up of a two-story, city-owned parking structure that Dones won exclusive rights to develop last year. Lane Partners recently completed the purchase of fast-food restaurant Giant Burger site on the same block, beating out developers like Signature Development Group, the Nautilus Group Inc. and Chicago-based Akara Partners for the land. The two sites will now be assembled for one project.

---------------

Dones’ plans last year showed a potential 23-story building with 391 units, 16,000 square feet of retail and five levels of above-grade parking, according to a draft obtained by the San Francisco Business Times. Oakland is working toward decreasing parking requirements on new downtown buildings – a move in line with good urban planning practices. But a significant number of spaces that serve the Paramount and Fox Theatres would still need to be replaced, Dones said.

Highrise residential likely is also still be part of the plan. “In the coming months we’re going to really establish our programming, our budget, our schedule,” Haydel said.
The article also mentions Gensler is working on the project. To summarize, there could be large-floor technology-oriented office space and a residential tower on this rather large site, along with retail and plazas.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2015, 11:53 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Not to be outdone, San Jose has plans for a pair of new towers -- one residential, the other office -- on a lot directly across from City Hall. From the Silicon Valley Business Journal:

Quote:
A 1.4-acre parcel across the street from San Jose City Hall would sprout two towers — one office, the other condo — under plans being considered by the property’s new owner, a Chinese-backed development group that expects the project to be just the start of its work in Silicon Valley.

“They’ve built absolutely exquisite mixed-use projects in Beijing, and now they want to bring that level of quality and experience to San Jose,” said architect Rob Steinberg of the eponymous design firm, which is working with the company. “Their hope is they will become part of our community, and that this is the first of many that they’ll be able to do here.”

------------

The concept includes a 28-story, 350-unit condo tower on the western side, with a 20-story, 350,000-square-foot office building flanking the eastern edge of the parcel. Both would rise up to 295 feet from a shared podium parking garage, making them among the city’s tallest buildings. About 20,000 square feet retail would help “activate” Santa Clara Street and Fourth Street, Steinberg said.

The proposal is notable because it signifies a couple of themes playing out in downtown San Jose’s real estate scene: Interest is growing from Chinese investors, with China-affiliated companies backing two other high-rise projects. And office development, after years in deep freeze, is finally coming back to life.

------------

Steinberg is still working on the building’s architecture, but expects to have the first pass done and presented for the city’s architecture review in a couple of weeks.

“My expectation (for the architecture) is, I want to raise the bar, and they do too,” Steinberg said. The two towers will share some of the same DNA, but they won’t be carbon copies. And they will respect their civic neighbor — the 2005-built City Hall — across the street.

“The composition of both buildings on the skyline has to be beautiful, and then each one has to stand on its own,” Steinberg said.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2015, 11:55 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Speaking of San Jose, new member cardinal2007 started a new thread on San Jose projects you may want to check out. There's a lot more getting built and in the pipeline down there than I realized.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2015, 3:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
Not to be outdone, San Jose has plans for a pair of new towers -- one residential, the other office -- on a lot directly across from City Hall. From the Silicon Valley Business Journal:
Quote:
My expectation (for the architecture) is, I want to raise the bar, and they do too,” Steinberg said. The two towers will share some of the same DNA, but they won’t be carbon copies. And they will respect their civic neighbor — the 2005-built City Hall — across the street.

“The composition of both buildings on the skyline has to be beautiful, and then each one has to stand on its own,” Steinberg said.
First note is that at 295ft it would be the two tallest towers in the area, the residential tower being the tallest residential tower between Los Angeles and San Francisco.

Steinberg is one of the few local architecture firms, and while they do a good job, the proposals as of late have shown a major attempt to raise the bar, so if they are attempting to again raise the bar as well they are going to have to go beyond the Gateway Tower and the Museum Tower proposals by Kwan Henmi, and Steinberg Architects themselves respectively.

Courtesy Silicon Valley Business Journal / Kwan Henmi Architecture and Planning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l24pceaFE1U

Courtesy Think Bigger San Jose / Silicon Valley Business Journal /Steinberg Architects

These are the massing renders, not the architectural ones, but I think it will be tough to make it architecturally compete.

Courtesy Silicon Valley Business Journal / Steinberg Architects

A pool deck 278ft off the ground though is kind of cool.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2015, 4:20 AM
Only Mostly Dead

I'm really excited about the Museum Tower, and that Gateway Tower looks great too. Any word on when that might get started?

Old Posted Nov 9, 2015, 2:42 AM

Quote:
I'm really excited about the Museum Tower, and that Gateway Tower looks great too. Any word on when that might get started?
Given how slow the city moves I assume demo work will start in about 2 years at the earliest.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2015, 4:45 PM

The Cove SSF

A few shots of "the Cove" progress in South City this morning:

There's also gonna be a hotel looking directly out onto the cove and some kind of retail/restaurants. A really nice gateway for the biotech cluster. What's really disappointing looking at the renderings however is it looks like the central plaza area is shielded from the (public) trail by a parking lot and some trees. So the whole feel is gonna be "employees and guests only" rather than a waterfront place for the city itself. Wasted opportunity in that sense.

http://covessf.com

Last edited by cicerone; Nov 21, 2015 at 4:56 PM.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2015, 6:07 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Thanks for the update. I see what you mean about the plaza, and that is a shame. I'm guessing they prioritized views from the buildings over views from the plaza, which means moving it away from the water and behind the buildings.

On the other side of the bay, some great news out of Oakland. The century-old train station in West Oakland might finally get refurbished and reused. From the SF Business Times:

Quote:
But the decade-long effort to revitalize the station may get a new boost: Owner Bridge Housing, the nonprofit affordable housing developer, is in contract to sell the property to Citrine Advisors, an Oakland-based developer that specializes in historic renovations.

The vision for the station doesn't have specifics, but Bridge is hoping that it will be a retail and event space with food and art that honors the building's history. The station's 7,000-square-foot main hall can accommodate 299 people and the outside space has room for 3,000 people.

-----------

The building still requires major work before it could be active again, likely costing tens of millions of dollars for water, electricity connections, seismic stabilization and renovations of the elevated tracks and the creation of an outside plaza. The effort would likely require a mix of private and public funding, such as new market tax credits.
I sure hope this comes to fruition. Every time I pass that, I long to see it in its former state of glory. It will make a fantastic focal point for the new development in that neighborhood.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2015, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the update. I see what you mean about the plaza, and that is a shame. I'm guessing they prioritized views from the buildings over views from the plaza, which means moving it away from the water and behind the buildings....
sorry, this might turn out quite large (source: http://www.covessf.com/):

Old Posted Dec 10, 2015, 8:34 PM

Old Posted Dec 18, 2015, 12:11 AM
Droppin' Loads

This one will be great if it happens. It will block the huge blank wall at Broadway and 17th.

Quote:
Plans for Tallest Residential Tower in Oakland Back in Play
December 17, 2015

Originally approved for development over fifteen years ago, the plans for a 33-story Downtown Oakland tower to rise at 1640 Broadway, upon the current parking lot at the corner of 17th Street, are back in play with Lennar now leading the charge and requesting a couple of changes, including the shedding of nearly 100 parking spots.

Currently approved for 375-foot tower with 254 residential units over 4,700 square feet of retail space and nine levels of parking for 326 cars, seven levels of which were to be above ground, the development team is now proposing to build the same number of units in a 380-foot-tall tower, but with 5,000 square feet of retail and four level of above ground parking for 232 cars.

At 380-feet in height, 1640 Broadway would be the tallest residential tower in Oakland, existing or proposed as the plans for a nearby 56-story tower were dropped by 23 floors to 339-feet in height.

And with the City’s approval for the project set to expire at the end of this year, Lennar has also requested a one-year extension within which to break ground. Oakland’s Planning Commission is slated to hear the requests on January 6, 2016.
http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2...and-tower.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations