HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Central Park Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 3:38 AM

Last edited by ILNY; Mar 17, 2014 at 4:39 AM.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2014, 8:40 PM

According to www.yimbynews.com, 220
Central Park South will now rise to 1031' - surely this will precipitate Extell keeping the original 1550' of this tower to preserve more unobstructed apartment views?

Old Posted Mar 21, 2014, 9:30 PM

I noticed on the work in progress sign there is no rendering like there is with other projects. Are they still designing it?

Old Posted Mar 21, 2014, 9:50 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbrandwein View Post
According to www.yimbynews.com, 220
Central Park South will now rise to 1031' - surely this will precipitate Extell keeping the original 1550' of this tower to preserve more unobstructed apartment views?
Not necessarily. While that would be great news for this tower, an extra 80 ft isn't going to drastically alter Barnett's tower.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2014, 10:25 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Not necessarily. While that would be great news for this tower, an extra 80 ft isn't going to drastically alter Barnett's tower.
This is true but what will take away from his tower is that Steinway and 432 are about the same height as it, which I think will look weird to be honest. Obviously it's still awesome these buildings are getting built but picturing 3 buildings next to central park that are all ~1400 might look a little odd.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2014, 1:20 AM
Mr. Technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Obviously it's still awesome these buildings are getting built but picturing 3 buildings next to central park that are all ~1400 might look a little odd.
Actually, having so many supertalls near Central Park South sounds perfect to me!

Old Posted Mar 22, 2014, 1:24 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechTalkGuy View Post
Actually, having so many supertalls near Central Park South sounds perfect to me!
Oh absolutely, I wasn't trying to make it sound like a bad thing but it would be nice if there was a little variation between their heights... but obviously beggars can't be choosers.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2014, 1:31 AM
Mr. Technology

Quote:
Oh absolutely, I wasn't trying to make it sound like a bad thing but it would be nice if there was a little variation between their heights... but obviously beggars can't be choosers.
What would be odd is proposing towers near the Rockaways or on Roosevelt Island.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2014, 1:33 AM
BANNED

Quote:
True. I think 225 would have been 1550' if 220 CPS wasn't getting in the way. It had to cantilever because of 220 CPS.
At least we are getting some limestone on CPS/58th Street.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2014, 1:51 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eveningsong View Post
True. I think 225 would have been 1550' if 220 CPS wasn't getting in the way. It had to cantilever because of 220 CPS.
At least we are getting some limestone on CPS/58th Street.
Do we know for sure it's not going to be 1550?

For all we know when Barnett said he could have gone bigger but didn't he meant going past that height since I think he could have.

It would be really nice if it could at least trump Sears since that's been the highest roof for the past 40 years, time to upgrade America

Old Posted Mar 22, 2014, 2:57 AM

l think that the odds of this this being taller than Willis at least are greater than the 1,550 figure. l hope l'm wrong.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2014, 5:22 PM
Urban Explorer

Quote:
It would be really nice if it could at least trump Sears since that's been the highest roof for the past 40 years, time to upgrade America
I'm sure Adrian Smith would get some smug satisfaction out of that.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2014, 8:02 PM

Apparently, more applications filed today which still maintains the 1550' figure...keep those fingers crossed!

http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/Jo...ssdocnumber=01

Old Posted Mar 28, 2014, 9:39 PM

You can guarantee we all will keep our fingers crossed.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2014, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Do we know for sure it's not going to be 1550?

For all we know when Barnett said he could have gone bigger but didn't he meant going past that height since I think he could have.

Haha "trump"

Old Posted Mar 29, 2014, 3:06 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad11 View Post
Apparently, more applications filed today which still maintains the 1550' figure...keep those fingers crossed!

They probably haven't updated that part, it might just be another mistake like 220 central park being 1031 feet.

That's what I'm going to assume for now unless it really is 1550 and I will be more than pleasantly surprised.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2014, 7:08 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad11 View Post

That's a new filing for work, with a reference to the original new building permit that was filed in 2012. Until that permit is altered, newer permits will continue to reflect the 1,550 ft height, with the permits for various work on the site continuing to be filed.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2014, 7:16 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
That's a new filing for work, with a reference to the original new building permit that was filed in 2012. Until that permit is altered, newer permits will continue to reflect the 1,550 ft height, with the permits for various work on the site continuing to be filed.

Yea, but I'm surprised he wouldn't want to push it a little higher considering 111 will now likely rise to about 1400' and obviously 432 park avenue to that same height.

Even if it were in the 1480-1500 range it would have an edge over those buildings.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2014, 7:36 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Yea, but I'm surprised he wouldn't want to push it a little higher considering 111 will now likely rise to about 1400' and obviously 432 park avenue to that same height.

Even if it were in the 1480-1500 range it would have an edge over those buildings.
You don't know that he hasn't. Barnett has said the tower would be lower after purchasing the rights for the cantilever. The smart money would be to go with whatever he says. But the new building information hasn't been filed or revealed, so there's always a chance that it's something different.

Every permit filed after the new building permit is a reference to that job. It's still the same building, even when the height changes.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2014, 10:13 PM

Ultimately, whether it's 1424 or 1550 feet in height, we're still getting a very tall tower. That being said, if we are spending energy hoping for one outcome or another, I think we should all be wishing for a tower of the caliber of 111w 57th, and not what we have seen in renderings for 225w 57th...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive