HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Apr 21, 2007, 7:01 PM
Highrise

alls good in the hood Phil

thanks to a rare occurance of rain my sat has been ruined, no flag football today so im left being on the internet, lol.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2007, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonman View Post
Say what you want about the condo market...even if there were too many units, a modest surplus could be absorbed within months. Housing shortages are a hallmark of San Diego.

The city's office market though actually NEEDS MORE buildings, rather than that it has too many. San Diego was tied for the lowest vacancy rates in the nation for a major metropolitan area at end of year in 2006.
Let's discuss it over on the San Diego board.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2007, 9:34 PM
“The Big EasyChair”

Business Journal Brief...

City's sale of downtown block to
kick-start Crocker project

2.5-acre lot, created from a condemned street,
should be open for bids soon

Sacramento Business Journal - April 20, 2007 Print Edition
by Mark Anderson and Michael ShawStaff writers

The first step in groundwork for the $80 million expansion
of the Crocker Art Museum should begin this month with
the condemnation of a curved city street.

The unnamed connector draws eastbound traffic off
Tower Bridge and feeds it to the base of N Street. By
taking that section of street and adding to it the two
triangular parcels of lawn on either side of it, the city
would create a city block between the Landmark Plaza
at 300 Capitol Mall and Interstate 5

Old Posted Apr 21, 2007, 9:42 PM
Finger Lickin' Good.

^ I can't wait for someone to buy that and propose something.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2007, 3:56 PM
“The Big EasyChair”

Hundreds head to D.C. to push capital agenda
Chamber of Commerce will urge clean-energy expansion, health care, flood control funding.
By David Whitney - Bee Washington Bureau
Published 12:00 am PDT Sunday, April 22, 2007
Story appeared in METRO section, Page B1

WASHINGTON -- It starts with a party and ends with a gala dinner featuring political humorist Jimmy Tingle. But in between the Sacramento Metro Chamber of Commerce will send more than 400 citizen lobbyists Monday and Tuesday to pound the pavement on a host of regional issues.

"This is our Super Bowl of advocacy," said John Lambeth, the chamber's board chairman, in a telephone interview.

This year's Capitol-to-Capitol lobbying fest will circulate position papers on 80 issues, but will emphasize four priorities.

Chief among them is continuing federal funding for flood control work in the Sacramento region and transportation projects.

But this year the chamber also will be championing the region's nomination for a Labor Department grant, through its Workforce Innovation in Regional Economic Development Initiative, to promote expansion of clean-energy technology.

"We have over 60 companies in the clean energy field in the Sacramento area," said Michael Faust, the chamber's senior vice president of public policy who has organized the trip. "We are becoming the clean-energy hotspot of the world."

Faust said the chamber also will ask Congress to continue funding the State Children's Insurance Program by boosting funding by $60 billion. The program expires in September, and if it's not extended, as many as 24,000 low-income children in the Sacramento area could lose health insurance, Faust said.

"This is a first for us," he said. "We've never carried a health care issue back to the Capitol before."

The three-day trip to Washington has grown to become the largest such chamber event in the country. The chamber crowd this year, which Lambeth said will include 73 elected officials "from every county and most cities in the region," were scheduled to fly out of Sacramento on Saturday on four commercial flights and take over half of the 657-room Renaissance Mayflower Hotel.

On Monday, the group spreads out over Capitol Hill and the headquarters of the federal bureaucracy, where Faust said there are more than 250 separate meetings scheduled.

Each member on the trip -- or their business -- pays their own way. The per-person rate this year was $2,855, $545 more for those not wanting to share a room.

Even with that high cost, Faust said they had a waiting list just three weeks after the trip was announced.

"Part of this trip is about coordination within the delegation," Lambeth said. "Nowhere else do 73 elected officials sit around and talk about regional issues and concerns."

There are 11 separate policy teams for the 2007 trip, with specialties ranging from air quality and arts and culture to health care, transportation and homeland security.

Among the issues that the groups will lobby for are a commitment of up to $200 million over 10 years from the Federal Aviation Administration for a terminal modernization program at the Sacramento International Airport; $14.7 million for a child development center at Beale Air Force Base; $20 million for a transportation center in downtown Sacramento; almost $40 million for a bus replacement and expansion program; $21 million for light-rail expansion; and $25 million for road projects.

The business end of the trip begins Monday morning with breakfast, where the featured speaker will be Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff.

"There is no other trip like this," Lambeth said

Old Posted Apr 22, 2007, 8:50 PM

800 J St.

Bella Bloom at 800 J Street is a flower shop...right now they specialize in weddings & events but when the store opens in late Aug they will be a full service florist.....designs with a modern and artistic edge...might possibly work there p/t as a floral designer...
website bellabloomflowers.com

Old Posted Apr 22, 2007, 10:33 PM

"$14.7 million for a child development center at Beale Air Force Base"
-WTF?! seems kinda...........EXPENSIVE.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2007, 10:55 PM
Finger Lickin' Good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtosac View Post
Bella Bloom at 800 J Street is a flower shop...right now they specialize in weddings & events but when the store opens in late Aug they will be a full service florist.....designs with a modern and artistic edge...might possibly work there p/t as a floral designer...
Cool! Welcome to the boards!

Old Posted Apr 22, 2007, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip View Post
I think we've disproven the notion that government workers spend all day playing computer solitaire; at least some of them spend all day reading the Skyscraper forums!

current stats:

Sac-10
Bay-4
LA-9
SD-0

San Diego consistently shows the least interest in the forums. Interesting because there are quite a few towers under construction there. They're all going to be excess capactiy though and San Diego's condo and office markets would be better off without them. Sort of dampens the enthusiasm. Too bad they can't load a couple of those extra San Diego towers onto trailers and haul them up to Sacramento.
check this out..Sacramento is no.3 in searching the word "skyscraperpage" behind Edmonton and Calgary.
http://www.google.com/trends?q=skysc...o=all&date=all

Old Posted Apr 23, 2007, 1:44 AM
lifeguard

did the towers get cancelled?

Old Posted Apr 23, 2007, 1:59 AM
Finger Lickin' Good.

No! Of course they didn't! That's just a rumo(u)r going around by certain... pessimistic members on the forum.

I'd bet on an announcement of a new lender within the next month.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2007, 4:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtosac View Post
When sugit first announced the Bella Bloom lease here a couple weeks ago we speculated it might be a jewelry store because jewelry is what's sold at bellabloom.com. That was before we knew about bellabloomflowers.com.

Thanks for the info. We all wish Bella Bloom Flowers much success with their new store.

And speaking of 800J a few days ago I noticed an application for liquor license posted in the window of one of the restaurant spots. That's good news too.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2007, 4:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakramento View Post
check this out..Sacramento is no.3 in searching the word "skyscraperpage" behind Edmonton and Calgary.
http://www.google.com/trends?q=skysc...o=all&date=all
Neat! I never knew you could look up the most popular search terms combinations that way on Google. So do Edmonton and Calgary have a lot of government workers too?

Old Posted Apr 23, 2007, 4:12 AM

I saw that as well this morning. It's for Table 260

http://www.table260.com/

Old Posted Apr 23, 2007, 4:14 AM

Welcome sacindiescene & newtosac to the skyscraper-nerd forum and the SacTown!

Last edited by ozone; Apr 23, 2007 at 5:04 AM.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2007, 5:24 AM

Whats the current deadline with Aura?

Old Posted Apr 23, 2007, 5:55 AM

Just wanted to give my quick 2 cents. I was in Sac this weekend and some buddies and I went out on Friday night. The new Badlands club at 20th and K is unbelievable. I was honestly blown away. Hands down one of the nicest clubs I've been to (including NYC and SF). They really spared no expense with this place. I haven't been to The Park yet, but this was by far the most "trendy" looking club I've been to in Sac. After leaving Badlands, we headed over to Faces and the same there as well. The new addition was better than I could have ever imagined it to be. Even if you're not gay, these places are DEFINITELY worth a check out (both seemed very non-gay-friendly). My friends and I kept saying "we're in Sacramento!" (because places like that we've only experienced in basically NYC). I just felt compelled to post this because I was so proud of Sacramento to have the vision to get places like this built. Props to the owners. In fact, I now want to bring some of my Denver friends with me next time I come home to "show off" Sacramento's gay scene.

My only complaint- on Friday night, Badlands had an $8 cover and Faces was $15. Just thought that was a little steep.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2007, 7:16 AM
CHACUN SON GOÛT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacTownAndy View Post
Just wanted to give my quick 2 cents. I was in Sac this weekend and some buddies and I went out on Friday night. The new Badlands club at 20th and K is unbelievable. I was honestly blown away. Hands down one of the nicest clubs I've been to (including NYC and SF). They really spared no expense with this place. I haven't been to The Park yet, but this was by far the most "trendy" looking club I've been to in Sac. After leaving Badlands, we headed over to Faces and the same there as well. The new addition was better than I could have ever imagined it to be. Even if you're not gay, these places are DEFINITELY worth a check out (both seemed very non-gay-friendly). My friends and I kept saying "we're in Sacramento!" (because places like that we've only experienced in basically NYC). I just felt compelled to post this because I was so proud of Sacramento to have the vision to get places like this built. Props to the owners. In fact, I now want to bring some of my Denver friends with me next time I come home to "show off" Sacramento's gay scene.

My only complaint- on Friday night, Badlands had an $8 cover and Faces was $15. Just thought that was a little steep.
Yep, that's what me and me friends thought about Badlands last week. It really is on the level of West Hollywood or NYC, Paris and London too.

Faces is cool too, but its not quite done. They are going to redo the older front half as well. We were there this Friday. They kicked off a summer series of live performances this weekend. Kristene W was there Friday. A 90's dance/pop recording star.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2007, 7:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacTownAndy View Post

Once you get to visit The Park Downtown, I think you'll also find that as trendy as one you'd find in SF, NYC, LA or Miami. Very scenic too. But if you thought the cover was steep at Faces, it's $20 at the Park on Fri and Sat. Yet, this place continues to be very packed and crowded every weekend I've been there.

Sidenote - there is a thread that discusses the Sacramento nightlife / entertainment scene.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2007, 2:21 PM
“The Big EasyChair”

Sacramento (City) exploring annexation of Arden-Arcade, Natomas and South Sacramento

<Edit>

This subject needs it's own thread

Last edited by urban_encounter; Apr 23, 2007 at 2:26 PM. Reason: New thread started.........

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area