HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 8, 2009, 5:50 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingofthehill View Post
Hello everybody,

I'm going to be in town all day Friday, Saturday and Sunday. If any of the forumers wouldn't mind showing me around a few neighborhoods, that'd be most appreciated. I especially want to see the Mission, Nob Hill, North Beach, as well as Mission Beach (I love contemporary architecture).

Here's my thread from the last time I was in town:http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=161392

Please don't leave me hanging
This coming Easter weekend I presume, since you posted this on Sunday?

Old Posted Apr 8, 2009, 10:09 AM
International

Thanks LWR..

And viewguy, yes.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2009, 6:53 AM
BANNED

Quote:
A Step Forward For The Plans To Expand Fox Plaza (1390 Market)

A Preliminary Mitigated Negative Declaration has been issued by San Francisco’s Planning department for Archstone-Smith’s proposed expansion of Fox Plaza (1390 Market Street).

The proposed project would entail demolition of an existing two-story retail and office building adjacent to the existing Fox Plaza office/residential tower and construction of a new 120-foot-tall, ll-story building containing up to 250 residential units above approximately 19,880 gross square feet of retail use on the ground floor. There would be no change to the existing Fox Plaza mixed-use tower, and no new parking would be provided (18 existing spaces would be removed): parking for the new residential units would be within the existing two-level basement garage at Fox Plaza.

The proposed new 120-foot-tall, ll-story building would be generally triangular in shape, with the point at the corner of Hayes and Market Streets. The new building would be connected to the existing 29-story tower by an existing approximately 50-foot-wide atrium and retail space on the ground floor. Current plans call for the building to be clad in a combination of glass and stone with pre-cast elements, with punched square windows making up most of the Market Street and Hayes Street facades, while the Hayes-Market corner would be clad in a curving glass curtain wall that would extend up to an oval-shaped form on the roof that would enclose mechanical equipment, elevator rooms, and-at the corner-the upper level of the 11th-floor residential unit.
Design by Heller Manus Architects.

And while we don't have an official update on the appetite or intentions of Archstone-Smith to move forward, we do have the following comment from a plugged-in reader:

I've heard it's a done deal on Archstone's end, but they are having some issues moving people out who are in current retail leases. From what I hear Starbucks doesen't want to move to the tower where Archstone has set aside a space for them, unless A/S pays to move the Starbucks, and a couple other little snafus like that...
Cheers.
Source: http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2....html#comments

Old Posted Apr 9, 2009, 6:20 PM

God... would THAT be an improvement! Now if only some more triangles would rise at Market and Turk, Golden Gate, McAlister, Grove, Fell, Oak, Page, and Haight! Mid-Market has been a civic embarrassment for far too many decades.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2009, 5:17 PM
BANNED

Quote:
10th and Mission: A 14-Story Building Joins the Party

The proposed building

The site

Looking up 10th St BEFORE (sans Argenta)

Looking up 10th St. AFTER (sans Argenta)

The intersection of 10th and Mission is quite the busy place: a recently published draft environmental impact report shows a new building proposed for 1415 Mission. The project's kitty corner from 1390 Mission, former site of King's Diner and current site of the family housing fin. And just north, a mid-rise building built by the Tenderloin Neighborhood Development Corp should see the light of day in oh.. three years. There's also the 720-unit Crescent Heights high-rise, but we won't talk of sad things. The building in question is designed by Heller Manus and may include up to 117 units and be 14 stories tall.
Source: http://sf.curbed.com/archives/2009/0...eader_comments

As a reminder, the future neighbors:

1400 Mission: http://www.citizenshousing.org/index...1400%20Mission

1390 Mission:

Source: http://sf.curbed.com/archives/2008/0...ion_street.php

Old Posted Apr 10, 2009, 10:05 PM
Only Mostly Dead

There's not much to go on here, but that render looking up 10th St. isn't very promising. Hopefully the side fronting Mission will look better. I guess the bright side is seeing another surface lot biting the dust.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Apr 10, 2009, 10:10 PM
Only Mostly Dead

And now for something completely awesome:

Source: SocketSite

This is Arquitectonica's design for 1960-1998 Market at Buchanan. We saw a preliminary, rougher version of this earlier in this thread.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Apr 12, 2009, 6:51 AM

10th & Mission 14 Story Proposal

BT of SF

Interesting. Depending on the quality of the material used I think I would find the building quite attractive. Standing on my balcony I can see the site, which used to be used for sale of tires and their installation.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2009, 7:22 AM
BANNED

Considering it's a non-profit developer doing "affordable" housing, I would expect the usual stucco. Still, that 10th & Mission corner is going to be very different with new midrises on 3 corners.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2009, 11:07 PM

The new rendering for Market/Buchanan is sweet.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2009, 5:00 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Wouldn't it be nice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordo View Post
The new rendering for Market/Buchanan is sweet.
Definitely! I hope that it gets built within a reasonable amount of time and that it looks as good as the renderings. The gas station, by the way, is still open.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2009, 11:56 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
And now for something completely awesome
See that and raise you one (thanks again to Socketsite):

Quote:
Entitled, Envisioned And For Sale (But Not Permitted): 1600 Market

The corner of Market at Franklin and Page as it looks (for the most part) above, the same corner (1600 Market) as envisioned by Stanley Saitowitz and as is being marketed below.

Note no building permit in hand, but entitled for 23 condos as proposed with nine stories and ground floor retail over underground parking (nine spaces).
Source: http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2....html#comments

Here's another view:

Source: http://sf.curbed.com/archives/2009/0...d_page.php?o=1

I just wish they'd get going and build some of this stuff on Market St. It would be so much nicer but it seems like when we have good times for building the planners and supervisors obstruct these projects until times turn bad and building stops. Will we have to wait another economic cycle??

Last edited by BTinSF; Apr 14, 2009 at 11:18 PM.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2009, 11:57 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by markermiller View Post
Now if only some more triangles would rise at Market and Turk, Golden Gate, McAlister, Grove, Fell, Oak, Page, and Haight! Mid-Market has been a civic embarrassment for far too many decades.
See

Old Posted Apr 14, 2009, 12:02 AM
BANNED

Oh and hey p.g.:

Quote:
Pitchforks Out: Market/Buchanan Building Is a "Monster"
Monday, April 13, 2009, by Andy J. Wang

Too easy: the backlash has begun on 1960 Market, Arquitectonica's gleaming greenhouse design on Market and Buchanan. You said: "i'll be surprised if this gets built as pictured. looks awesome but i'm sure it'll get dumbed down to a milquetoast 'victorian' design." 'Scuse us while we look up "milquetoast." District 5 crusader Rob Anderson says: "The thing is higher and glaringly incompatible with everything behind it, i.e., old victorian houses and apartment buildings in edwardian/deco styles." And the urgent call to action! "This new glass sheet will drastically alter the character of our neighborhood and will obstruct views of and from the Federal Mint. ... We understand and support the city's need to create new housing. We are simply asking for a reduction in bulk/height of the proposed project to preserve liveability and enjoyment of our residences and the neighborhood." A prayer or two to the gods of height choppage couldn't hurt either.
Source: http://sf.curbed.com/archives/2009/0...eader_comments

The Planning Commission is hearing the appeal from Mr. Anderson and his NIMBY friends on its Negative Declaration on Thursday, April 16.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2009, 5:58 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTinSF View Post
I just wish they'd get going and build some of this stuff on Market St. It would be so much nicer but it seems like when we have good times for building the planners and supervisors obstruct these projects until times turn bad and building stops. Will we have to wait another economic cycle??
Yes--and then those a__holes had better be prepared to move forward quickly to take advantage of it! I agree; Market Street needs some major injections of quality architecture, including the Octavia Boulevard corridor.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2009, 6:02 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTinSF View Post
The Planning Commission is hearing the appeal from Mr. Anderson and his NIMBY friends on its Negative Declaration on Thursday, April 16.
Who is Rob Anderson? Those renderings are stunning as they are, showing a bold project that is precisely what is needed in this town.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2009, 6:15 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewguysf View Post
Who is Rob Anderson?
Here's his web site: http://district5diary.blogspot.com/2...nstrosity.html

He's also the guy who got an injunction forcing the city to do an EIR before it could implement its bicycle plan (halting the creation of new bike lanes for several years): http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121919354756955249.html

Old Posted Apr 14, 2009, 6:34 AM
urbanphile

Rob Anderson is amazing! He's like a real live version on an internet troll! Is anyone going to go and shut him up on thursday? I kinda want to... No. Must. Not. Feed. The Troll!

Old Posted Apr 14, 2009, 6:31 PM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Rob Anderson is the purest embodiment of post-war SF's corrosive and self-aggrandizing Baby Boomer obstructionists, the quintessential NIMBY naysayer in full Jesus Christ pose.

Except, of course, this particular Jesus NIMBY hero obstructionist advocates not only for extending exurban sprawl into the hinterlands by opposing all urban densification--this black hole of attention-whoredom also uses city government to thwart the cleanest alternative to driving war-feuled, climate-wrecking vehicles within city limits.

Somebody get this douchebag another marbled pied-a-terre, and a crown of thorns...

Old Posted Apr 14, 2009, 8:49 PM
Only Mostly Dead

That Saitowitz building at Franklin is beautiful, just like his design for Octavia.

I wish I could say I'm surprised that someone is opposed to the Buchanan building.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations