HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 14, 2009, 11:29 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by fflint View Post
Rob Anderson is the purest embodiment of post-war SF's corrosive and self-aggrandizing Baby Boomer obstructionists
There are "Baby Boomer obstructionists" and there are obstructionists of other generations. Anderson and I are similar ages but I think he's totally wrong (at least about density and design).

It may be true that a desire to restrict change comes upon most of us in late middle age and Baby Boomers are at that point now. But it happened to the previous generation as well when, in the 1960s and 1970s, they passed SF's height restrictions and building limitations and all manner of other regrettable rules. I'll go out on a limb and predict that you too will find something about this or some other city where you happen to be living that you will resist seeing changed when you reach Anderson's age.

In my case, as I said, I'm all for high rises and density and public transportation and the full gamut of SSP wet-dream inducers EXCEPT that I'm well past the age of being able to navigate SF by leg power on 2 wheels so I have a certain sympathy for Anderson's desire to impede the tyranny of the young, fit and traffic law ignoring on their bikes. I need the continued ability to move about the city on as many powered wheels as it takes (currently 2 but eventually that will change) because I'm also losing the ability to schlep things like multi bags of groceries on Muni.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2009, 12:09 AM
International

Hey guys, check out my photothread of SF:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=167826

Thanks to everybody for the generous outpouring of support; especially WesternGulf and Stepper77. BTW, I'll be moving to SF this summer...so I guess you (we?) have a new member to the team!

Old Posted Apr 15, 2009, 12:24 AM

Always good to have another person on board to post photos I'll admit that I'm lazy and rarely take my camera out, but I appreciate everyone else that does it.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2009, 5:14 AM
Only Mostly Dead

I'm glad someone was able to show you around. Welcome! And I hope you enjoy living here.

Here was the view from Mt. Tam last Saturday:

I don't have the fancy camera that some have, so the photo doesn't do the view any justice. It was a beautiful day.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Apr 17, 2009, 5:40 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Some good news on the Market/Buchanan project. From SocketSite:

Quote:
A plugged-in tipster provides the full scoop from last night’s Planning Commission meeting with respect to the proposed development of 1960-1998 Market Street. Keep in mind that a "Negative" Declaration is actually a positive thing when it comes to development.

The appeal of the Negative Declaration was denied, the project itself is continued to May 14th, and the parking ratio variance from the Market Octavia ratio of 0.5 will probably be denied, per Planning staff recommendation.The Commission did ask for the following:

(1) an increase in the minimum distance to the building behind from the proposed 12'6, (2) a matching light-well to the existing light-well on an adjacent building (I believe it is indeed legal), (3) less height on Buchanan, and (4) for the architect to solicit additional input from the Duboce Triangle Neighbors on the design of the building.

The Duboce Triangle Neighbors claim they appreciate modern architecture and they count several design professionals amongst them. The reveals shown in the latest renderings [SocketSite] posted were their idea.

The commissioners recognized the site is too tight for setbacks, so any redesign will probably be limited to refinement of the current design. And not a single person present asked for bay windows, stucco, Victorian or Spanish design. Indeed, everyone expressed support for the modern design.

Cheers!

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Apr 17, 2009, 6:00 PM

I visited a friend of mine who works at the CPMC California Campus yesterday (on California in Laurel Heights roughly between Spruce and Arguello). I waited in a small waiting room for a few minutes that had pictures up of renderings that I had not yet seen of the new Van Ness/Geary Hospital (site of current Cathedral Hill Hotel) and Medical Office Building (current site of a bunch of crap on the east side of Van Ness). I had seen some renderings before, but none with the detail that these had.

Unfortunately, my phone doesn't have a camera (stupid year and a half old Blackberry ) and I haven't been able to find the same renderings online that I saw there. However, I did find a few at this site:

http://cpmc.org/plans/

The pictures are small, so I didn't bother to pull them out. There are also some pdfs of the different sites that show some other details. The next time I stop by I will be taking my camera to get a good picture of the rendering there.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2009, 7:47 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Interesting find, Gordo. The Cathedral Hill campus looks really promising. Can't wait for your photos.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2009, 9:04 PM

Trinity Plaza - View from my Window

I took a picture of the progress of The Trinity Plaza (Mission/8th Sts.) - it is getting close to the top floors being built. This week the metal panels/windows are being installed on the west side. I like the look so far - I will have to live with it for a long time!

To my eye the SOMA Grand and Trinity Plaza complement one another.

The SOMA Grand is disappearing from my view and the view from the SOMA Grand is disappearing!

Old Posted Apr 18, 2009, 9:16 PM
North Beach

Good-bye SOMA

Mercy housing update. The unstrained construction is evident.

and the nearby development whose name I forget (if it has one at all).

Old Posted Apr 18, 2009, 10:42 PM

Here are aerial views of the proposed Cathedral Hill Hospital in context:

From the East:

(Daniel Burnham Court is on the right, Cathedral Hill Tower and the Sequoias on the left)

and from the West:

(Daniel Burnahm Court is on the left, Cathedral Hill Tower on the right)

Source: California Pacific Medical Center 2008 Institutional Master Plan, page 78

http://www.cpmc.org/plans/links/08IMP_CPMC.pdf

Last edited by nequidnimis; Apr 18, 2009 at 11:07 PM.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2009, 1:27 AM

Howard St. & Hawthorne Highrise

From my window in the Fox Plaza I had a great view of the Infinity Towers, but alas a new highrise is starting to block the view. I really like the color of the two towers. I walked down there to see what is going up, but could not find a sign. Appears to be a condo or apartment building. It has a skin of flesh toned concrete and partly glass and metal. Can any one tell what it is?

The picture was taken with the telephoto on my camera today, 04/18/09

Old Posted Apr 19, 2009, 4:49 AM

That's easy (there are not a lot of cranes in town): 645 Howard is blocking your "light and air".

Old Posted Apr 19, 2009, 6:38 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by nequidnimis View Post
That's easy (there are not a lot of cranes in town): 645 Howard is blocking your "light and air".
Otherwise known as One Hawthorne that we've been watching progress in its own thread: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=145289

Old Posted Apr 19, 2009, 9:52 PM

One Hawthorne

Thanks nequidmimis & viewguysf for the pointing out the link. The new building will not be as bad as I thought. I'll still have a partial view of 2 of my favorite buildings on my skyline! :>}

Last edited by Jerry of San Fran; Apr 19, 2009 at 10:05 PM.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2009, 11:09 PM

Based on the renderings and construction pictures, One Hawthorne should even be a nice addition. Thanks for your first construction picture...

Old Posted Apr 19, 2009, 11:46 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtown
Dave;4202981
That building is gorgeous! Take that red Pontiac out of the picture and this shot could be a high quality new construction in Central or Southern Europe.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Apr 19, 2009, 11:55 PM
BANNED

Forum Design does very nice work: http://www.forumdesign.com/

Old Posted Apr 20, 2009, 4:36 PM
BANNED

I can't even remember--does this thing have a thread? I remember posting about it but not whether it had its own thread and I can't find one:

Quote:
Proposed Transamerica neighbor called too tall
Robert Selna, Chronicle Staff Writer
Monday, April 20, 2009

The Transamerica Pyramid for decades has stood alone as San Francisco's architectural icon on the northern edge of downtown, but that could change if the city allows a flashy, cylindrical condominium tower to be built just yards away.

At approximately 400 feet, the modern, spiraling structure would be about half as tall as the pyramid, yet its height may be its most controversial feature.

Public outcry over the pyramid and high-rises in the 1980s prompted city officials to impose a 200-foot height limit in that section of downtown. In recent months, opponents pointed to similar height restrictions when fighting an eco-friendly office building proposed for the waterfront.

The condo tower developers say they are sensitive to the pyramid's special status. They say the top of their project will fall below the skyline, preserving the pyramid's capstone as the dominant feature of northern downtown.

"When you look at this building, it is self-evident that it is complementary to the Transamerica Pyramid," said the proposed building's architect, Jeffrey Heller. "It is far lower, and it is respectful."

Heller also said that while the structure is twice as tall as what is allowed, its square footage would conform to the current codes.

Some proponents like the idea of the new high-rise to the north of Market Street where little has been built since the mid-1980s. They believe that attracting more residents downtown makes sense.

Nonetheless, the project faces several significant challenges.

The plan calls for the demolition of a nine-story building erected in 1930 that served as the headquarters of the California Ink Co., which played a prominent role in the city's printing history. The tower also would cast shadows on two downtown parks, which in most cases is prohibited.

The city's Recreation and Park and Historic Preservation commissions will have a say in the project's fate, and it must be approved by the Planning Commission and the Board of Supervisors.

Developer Andrew Segal believes the myriad hurdles can be overcome, and he is offering incentives to the city in exchange for approval of the plan.

For one, Segal is promising to convert a privately owned park - located on the block bounded by Montgomery, Washington, Sansome and Clay streets - into one that is city-owned. He also said he would expand the surrounding open space from about 18,000 square feet to 33,000 square feet.

Segal said responses from civic and neighborhood groups generally have been positive.

Lynn Jefferson of the North Beach Neighbors association said her group favors the condo tower and the green space.

"San Francisco is very limited on housing and with respect to the height, this is downtown," she said. "The building would be next to the Transamerica, which is twice its size."

That argument doesn't persuade stalwart defenders of the height restrictions.

Sue Hestor, a land-use attorney, recently represented a group opposed to the eco-friendly waterfront building. That proposed structure would have been 40 feet taller than the area's 84-foot height limit. The Board of Supervisors has required a more detailed analysis of the project that would set construction back by at least one year.

Hestor said giving height exceptions to individual projects is bad city planning.

"There were real reasons for these heights limits, and they came from multiple years of hearings," Hestor said. "It was not done in a vacuum. Citizens pushed for the limits for a reason."

City Planning Director John Rahaim said the city needs to be careful about indiscriminately raising height limits, but noted that it also should consider projects in context. He said that while numerous details need to be worked out, a new tower next to the Transamerica Pyramid "seems doable."

"It's unusual to have a building as tall as the Transamerica and then to have all the buildings around it limited to a quarter of its height," Rahaim said. "Usually you try to cluster tall buildings together."

Mitchell Schwarzer, an expert on San Francisco architectural history, said that if the primary concern raised about the new building is its impact on the San Francisco skyline, it should go forward. He believes that the tower would be a good addition.

"The most prominent view will come from Telegraph Hill. With respect to the aesthetics of the skyline, you really won't be able to tell," said Schwarzer, a professor of visual studies at the California College of Art.

Proposed condominium tower

A rendering shows the proposed cylindrical tower next to the Transamerica Pyramid as viewed from Columbus Avenue. (Heller Manus Architects)

Site of proposed new building (Todd Trumbull / The Chronicle)

The proposed building (shaded) would be about half the height of its neighbor, the Transamerica Pyramid. (Heller Manus Architects)

A rendering shows Redwood Park, now private, which would become a public park as an incentive from a developer who wants to build a new tower next to the Transamerica Pyramid. (ROMA Design Group)
E-mail Robert Selna at rselna@sfchronicle.com.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...MN5817423D.DTL
As Curbed put it:

Quote:
Height Choppers Eye the Twisty Cylinder

The twisty cylinder condos proposed next door to the Transamerica Pyramid were getting muted opposition last time we checked in, but today's front page Chron story gives the opposed a little more voice. 'Course, for a building that's supposed to end up at 390 feet tall, compared to the pyramid's 853 feet, the fight over this one is nothing (just give it time). Yet, the hurdles are many: the building's not only almost twice as tall as allowed, it requires the take-down of a perhaps historic 1930 building that served as the home of California Ink Co. (Remember them??) And, lest we forget the shadows, the tower would cast them all over two downtown parks. So, to sum up, developer Andrew Segal's going to have to get this thing past the Rec & Park Commission, the newly created Historic Preservation Commission, the Planning Commission, and finally the Board of Supes. Godspeed, twisty cylinder.
Source: http://sf.curbed.com/archives/2009/0...eader_comments

Old Posted Apr 20, 2009, 5:03 PM
Show me the blueprints

What a load.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Apr 21, 2009, 6:53 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
That building is gorgeous! Take that red Pontiac out of the picture and this shot could be a high quality new construction in Central or Southern Europe.
I agree--it fits the site beautifully! I really appreciate that.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations