HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 21, 2012, 10:57 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry of San Fran View Post
I got a notice from the San Francisco Planning Department today concerning the proposed development at 101 Polk Street (bounded by Hayes and Lech Walesa Streets). The letter received today is a Notice of Project Receiving Environmental Review. The building will be 13 stories, 120 feet tall, residential with about 163 units, above subgrade parking for 62 vehicles and 57 bicycles. The lot is currently used for parking.

Across the street is another parking lot slated for housing. Development in the neighborhood is at a feverish pace!
Nice! I hope one of our crack staff of investigators can find a rendering soon.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Aug 22, 2012, 9:39 PM

Walking up upper Market today. Wondering if anyone knows if anything is proposed for the vacant lot at Market and Sanchez (on the north side of Market). It's been empty for some time.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2012, 12:00 AM

101 Polk Street Development

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
Nice! I hope one of our crack staff of investigators can find a rendering soon.
I do have a artist rendering of what 101 Polk might look like, but I cannot find where I got the photo & don't want to post without credit. I got the image from a site about the recladding of 100 Van Ness Avenue & 101 Polk is included incidentally. Maybe someone can ferret it out.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2012, 4:01 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by philiprsf View Post
Walking up upper Market today. Wondering if anyone knows if anything is proposed for the vacant lot at Market and Sanchez (on the north side of Market). It's been empty for some time.
I've been wondering the same thing--a fairly new Shell station was there one day, closed the next and was quickly demolished some years ago. The lot has sat vacant ever since.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2012, 5:16 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Speaking of former gas stations, I noticed the 76 station at 4th and Folsom is fenced off in preparation for Central Subway construction. That will be the location of the Moscone station.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Aug 23, 2012, 5:58 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry of San Fran View Post
I do have a artist rendering of what 101 Polk might look like, but I cannot find where I got the photo & don't want to post without credit. I got the image from a site about the recladding of 100 Van Ness Avenue & 101 Polk is included incidentally. Maybe someone can ferret it out.
I did a little looking around and couldn't find a rendering. But I did see notes on the Planning website that give some indication of their plans:
  • For one, it will have a courtyard, but Planning wants it to be larger and perhaps be viewable from the street.
  • They also mention that the current proposal calls for NO commercial space at street level. The developer will need to include commercial space, or provide direct access to residential units at the sidewalk, or get an exemption. Planning seems to be pushing for at least some commercial space, which would be good.
  • Regarding massing, Planning wants better articulation than what has been proposed, calling it "relatively undifferentiated."

It sounds like they have some work to do and whatever they've come up with will need to change anyway. I look forward to seeing it eventually.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2012, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Speaking of former gas stations, I noticed the 76 station at 4th and Folsom is fenced off in preparation for Central Subway construction. That will be the location of the Moscone station.
That's great, a gas station gets turned into a train station. I love it. Of all these SF projects, I think the central subway is the project I'm most excited about.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2012, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberEric View Post
That's great, a gas station gets turned into a train station. I love it. Of all these SF projects, I think the central subway is the project I'm most excited about.
+1. Not only is this a good short-term project, but it gets SF one step closer to having a legitimate light rail system connecting the entire city. As density in SOMA and elsewhere picks up (which is inevitable over the next few decades) busses will not be a sustainable form of public transit. We have to move this stuff underground eventually, and it's great to see it happening one project at a time.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2012, 8:44 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Quote:
Back in May, I posted information on the city's expansion plans for Moscone. It looks like SOM has been selected to design the expansion. From the SF Business Times:

I can't wait to see what they come up with.
Today, we know the approach they've decided to take. Again, from the SF Business Journal:

Quote:
San Francisco will look underground to expand Moscone Center, settling on a plan to dig out a 500,000-square-foot addition under adjacent Howard Street.

Just a month after architects Skidmore Owings & Merrill and Mark Cavagnero Associates were tapped to design a $550 million expansion, the project team has chosen its preferred option, according to San Francisco Travel Association President Joe D’Alessandro.

“We can get 500,000 square feet of contiguous space underground by doing that. Currently, we have a bunch of stuff down there — dirt and kitchens and meeting rooms. We would have to get rid of all that stuff ...
From this, I would infer that any plans to redevelop the garage across 3rd is on the back burner for now. I also read this to mean that they'll combine the north and south halls into one big exhibit space as I know that was one of their original goals. But I'm not sure about either one of those.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2012, 2:58 AM

Also from the SF Business Times...

Condos are beginning to break ground now.

Quote:
Two San Francisco condo projects break ground

The rush to be on the leading edge of San Francisco’s next wave of condo projects has started, as digging has begun on two long-awaited developments.
On Aug. 3, Oyster Development Corp. and Tricon Capital Group closed a $41 million construction loan to build 98 units at 1800 Van Ness, a $60 million project that has been named Marlow. The construction loan is being provided by National Real Estate Advisors, which invests money for the National Electrical Benefit Fund and other investors.
Not wasting any time, Oyster Development and its contractor Build Group started work on Aug. 6.
“We have had it on our calender for Aug. 6 for a while, and we hit our timing,” said Dean Givas, president of Oyster Development.
Meanwhile at 1998 Market St., developer Brian Spiers and Canyon Johnson Urban Funds have started demolition to clear the way for a 115-unit project designed by Arquitectonica. That project will cost $35.5 million in hard construction costs. Spiers bought the site in 2006 for about $10 million.
Wells Fargo is providing the construction loan on 1998 Market St. John Manning and Alex Witt of Jones Lang LaSalle arranged the loan on the 1800 Van Ness project, which is being designed by Kwan Henmi.
Marlow (1800 Van Ness):

Source: http://www.polarisgroup.com/

and not that we need it, but...

1998 Market St.

Source: http://www.polarisgroup.com/

Old Posted Aug 25, 2012, 6:35 PM

New renderings of Marlow (1800 Van Ness):

www.kwanhenmi.com

www.kwanhenmi.com

Old Posted Aug 25, 2012, 8:14 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

I really like 1800 Van Ness. I'd much rather have this than 95% of the schlock we're getting in LA.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Aug 25, 2012, 11:52 PM

New development at 17th and DeHaro

This corner, just north of the Anchor Steam parking lot, seems ready for new construction (the old buildings on part of the site have been demolished). Anyone know what's planned for that site?

Old Posted Aug 26, 2012, 1:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philiprsf View Post
This corner, just north of the Anchor Steam parking lot, seems ready for new construction (the old buildings on part of the site have been demolished). Anyone know what's planned for that site?
I'm guessing it's this...

http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2..._action_a.html

Quote:
Phase I (De Haro Street): Phase I would include demolition of the two existing wood‐frame buildings fronting 17th Street and the partial demolition of the concrete and aluminum building on site. Phase I would construct a new 48‐ft tall, 51,664 gross square foot (gsf), mixed‐use building containing 20 dwelling units with a unit mix as follows: ten two‐bedroom units and ten one‐bedroom units (21,345 gsf in total). The ground floor would also contain 7,500 sf of PDR/commercial/retail space, and 11,091 gsf of common area. The below‐grade basement level would contain parking for 29 off‐street parking spaces and 11 secured Class I bicycle spaces.

Source: www.socketsite.com

Old Posted Aug 26, 2012, 4:13 PM

Snohetta will design the new Warriors arena! I have high hopes for this one.

Quote:
The Golden State Warriors have selected the fast-rising firm Snøhetta as design architect for the arena that the team seeks to open in 2017 on Piers 30-32, just south of the Bay Bridge. And, according to Snøhetta co-founder Craig Dykers, the two immense projects have more in common than meets the eye.
"There's an interesting set of connections between these two worlds of culture that hasn't been fully explored," Dykers said last week. "They share a similar need to attract people in such a way that they feel comfortable in various settings, from large groups to individuals."
Snøhetta will be paired with the San Francisco office of AECOM, an international firm with broad experience designing sports facilities. The firms were chosen independently and have yet to begin work on the arena project, which also includes 2.3 acres on the inland side of the Embarcadero. Dykers said he hopes an initial design will be ready for release within the next two months or so.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/place/...#ixzz24fYteGEH

Last edited by 1977; Aug 26, 2012 at 4:25 PM.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2012, 4:54 PM
Only Mostly Dead

I like both of those projects. In fact, they are probably my two favorites of all the mid-rise infill condos going up right now. Very happy to see them both moving forward.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2012, 7:32 PM

1960 Market St. @ Buchanan

I was by yesterday & took this photo. Extra care is being exercised due to the serpentine rock at this site as serpentine has asbestos in it, the reason for the large spray of water on the site.

The U. S. Mint can be seen up the hill which is also on serpentine rock.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2012, 7:37 PM

1285 Sutter/Van Ness Aveneu

I am amazed at how fast this building is rising. After seeing this corner for 42 years it is strange to see a highrise on the corner. I can say I saw movies on the site when it was a theater!

Old Posted Aug 27, 2012, 1:42 AM
testify

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1977 View Post
New renderings of Marlow (1800 Van Ness):

www.kwanhenmi.com

www.kwanhenmi.com
funny how piddly the rendering makes the surrounding low-rise seem. more retail to van ness, good height and massing, an excellent addition to the hood (mine own).

there are a lot of under the radar projects going up in the vicinity. think i'll finish off what i'm doing here and go take a photo walk so as to enlighten you all.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2012, 1:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy as pie View Post
think i'll finish off what i'm doing here and go take a photo walk so as to enlighten you all.
Please do!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations