HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Feb 23, 2010, 5:24 AM

A New Stadium? Really?

I would like to second the assertion made by Chicago3rd: states pay a handsome sum to get stadiums built. I know CA is having a "minor" budget problem, yes? That's not to say grand civic structures don't get built in times of tight budgets anyway. I guess my thing with football stadiums is that they aren't really public (you have to pay to go inside) and not that versatile aside from the odd national convention or bruce springsteen concert, but we (states) fund (or should I say subsidize) them at a greater rate than other businesses. Again, it could be argued that we give tax breaks to corporations to maintain their presence downtown, but city's don't generally pay for the cost of their HQ- which is what happens with stadiums many a time. << This is perhaps a public policy debate. But what do I know, I'm just from Philadelphia where the state ponied up huge amounts of money to build the eagles' stadium (Lincoln Financial field)....

Btw, forumers, if you could help a fellow skyscraperpage poster out, I will be coming to California for the first time in my young adult life next Thursday (so excited)! Please feel free to pm me places to go for a civil engineer interested in transportation planning, design, and urban life. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by DIESELPOLO; Feb 23, 2010 at 5:29 AM. Reason: had to refine my thought process to communicate my point more effectively

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations