HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Sep 20, 2006, 5:51 AM
my posse's on broadway

well all jealousy aside, good for you dude! the Towers will be an awesome place to live. now go get your deposit and let all the naysayers know.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2006, 6:22 AM

welcome dcox...good luck with your decision.

Latest rumor:

"I have heard that the Aura is actually in danger of not being able to get financing. Saca was forced to sell 100 more units to secure his...."

The Saca rumor I can see(I still think he will be fine though), but Aura with "80%" sold seems weird.

Last edited by sugit; Sep 20, 2006 at 6:34 AM.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2006, 7:08 AM

Something is definately going on with Aura... I can't think of any legitimate reason they havent started construction by now. I seriously doubt they are just waiting on city permits. Given that Aura has been around for quite some time they have had plenty of time to at least get excavication permits.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2006, 7:09 AM

Anybody want to voulenteer to go down to the sales office and see whats going on (or at least what they will tell you)? innov?

Old Posted Sep 20, 2006, 7:33 AM

People are making fortunes breeding Chihuahua; maybe you can get the down payment that way.

Another space saving idea is to take all your photo albums and scan them into a computer, they'll take up a fraction of the space.

Ikea has lots of ideas.

I'm tired can we move on?

Last edited by mechanico; Sep 20, 2006 at 7:38 AM.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2006, 7:46 AM
my posse's on broadway

Old Posted Sep 20, 2006, 7:56 AM

I just went through the entire thread, went to the pet store, and bought a miniature pincer.
Objective has taken on a new meaning!

Old Posted Sep 20, 2006, 7:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanico
People are making fortunes breeding Chihuahua; maybe you can get the down payment that way.

Another space saving idea is to take all your photo albums and scan them into a computer, they'll take up a fraction of the space.

Ikea has lots of ideas.

I'm tired can we move on?
My mom breeds chihuahuas(if anyone wants one). She doesn't make a fortune doing it!

Old Posted Sep 20, 2006, 8:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuhickman79
My mom breeds chihuahuas(if anyone wants one). She doesn't make a fortune doing it!
I think that was a game ?

Old Posted Sep 20, 2006, 8:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcox20
ok I read the whole thread - wow... only took me a few days straight.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2006, 3:12 PM
Kodachrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin
Something is definately going on with Aura... I can't think of any legitimate reason they havent started construction by now. I seriously doubt they are just waiting on city permits. Given that Aura has been around for quite some time they have had plenty of time to at least get excavication permits.
I would not worry about it... really.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2006, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanico
yep I exaggerate...

Old Posted Sep 20, 2006, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin
I'm starting to feel the same way. They could pull an excavication and foundation pemit before the other permits are given. If they aren't going by the end of the next month, something is up for sure.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2006, 12:42 AM

Isn't there a dedicated Aura thread?

Old Posted Sep 21, 2006, 1:25 AM

Has Saca announced the retailers yet? Or when is he going to?

Old Posted Sep 21, 2006, 2:03 AM
Finger Lickin' Good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozmoose
Isn't there a dedicated Aura thread?
There was. It dropped off of the Califorum a while ago though. Maybe it's time to bring it back...

Old Posted Sep 21, 2006, 6:52 AM

With the latest talk about The Tower and Aura, did any happen to catch this part of the article?

"With $100 million in construction contracts signed, there's no turning back, Saca said.

"It will get built; it's getting built. The question is whether John Saca makes any money at the end of the day. I could go through all this and end up making less money than I would have building a little Walgreens on the corner."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los_Lobo
Condo high-rise seeks subsidy
Proposed $11 million from city would help furnish posh hotel.
By Mary Lynne Vellinga - Bee Staff Writer

With work already well under way on his twin 54-story condominium and hotel towers, developer John Saca is still wrapping up important financial details, including obtaining an $11 million subsidy from the city and closing on his construction loan.

Caught between rising construction costs and a slumping housing market, Saca has seen the budget for his $500 million project, which would be the tallest residential structure on the West Coast, tighten.

A few months ago, Saca began negotiating with the city for a subsidy, something he said he had previously viewed as "a last resort."

"We absolutely need it," he said. "What's happened is our construction costs for the project have gone up well over $100 million from last year."

The money would be used to help pay for furnishings and fixtures in the luxury InterContinental Hotel slated to occupy the lower 18 floors in one of the two towers at Third Street and Capitol Mall.

Saca's project faces plenty of competition. The city has received subsidy requests totalling $116 million for the $35 million remaining in its downtown redevelopment fund. But John Dangberg, assistant city manager, said it will likely get the money.

"We're definitely going to try to help this project," Dangberg said. "It's just too important for downtown."

The towers will generate more than $7 million annually in new taxes for the city, offsetting the loan in less than two years, Saca said. In addition, he said, the city would not contribute its subsidy until the building was completed and it was time to buy the hotel fixtures.

"There's no risk to the city that they're going to give the money and the project won't get built," Saca said.

Dangberg noted that nearly every hotel built in the city in recent years has required a city subsidy. Earlier this year, the City Council approved spending $9.9 million in redevelopment funds to help convert a historic office building at 926 J St. into a boutique hotel.

"The cost to develop hotels exceeds revenues generated through your room rate," Dangberg said.

InterContinental brings a new, unproven level of luxury hotel to the market. Dangberg said the hotel won't be able to count on conventions or state worker stays, because its prices will exceed what employers are willing to pay.

Saca said the luxury hotel is a crucial component of his project, because it allows him to provide services to his residents that would otherwise cost too much.

Condominium owners will have access to a spa, room service, a concierge and other hotel-style amenities in return for homeowners' dues of $500 a month, far less than those charged in many new high-rise condo projects.

"This is the first high-rise residential project to be built downtown," Saca said. "To compel people to move out of their homes in east Sacramento or wherever, you've got to give them amenities."

Another piece of the financial puzzle that Saca has yet to complete is the closing of his $375 million construction loan with Germany's Deutsche Bank.

The developer said he needs to obtain "less than a hundred" more non-refundable deposits before he meets the requirements for closing the loan.

So far, Saca said, he has collected non-refundable deposits on about 400 units at prices ranging from the high $300,000s to $4 million.

"We are really close to hitting the number we need for our lender," he said. "It's not a concern for us now."

In the meantime, construction on the site is being funded by Saca and by the California Public Employees' Retirement System, which earlier this year announced it would invest $100 million in the 804-unit project.

Saca said he and CalPERS already have spent about $70 million, including planning expenses and the land purchase cost. Cranes are currently driving 2,400 piles some 93 feet deep.

Once that's done, a 15-foot concrete slab laced with rebar will be laid on top of the piles. This will serve as the foundation for the 600-foot-tall towers.

With $100 million in construction contracts signed, there's no turning back, Saca said.

"It will get built; it's getting built. The question is whether John Saca makes any money at the end of the day. I could go through all this and end up making less money than I would have building a little Walgreens on the corner."

Old Posted Sep 21, 2006, 1:41 PM
“The Big EasyChair”

One thing's for certain; if BCN can't make money off a highrise condo selling units for $600 a sf then i wouldn't expect any others to come after the Towers go up. Unfortunately (consistent with Sacramento's string of luck) the condo craze may have caught on too late. With construction costs being what they are (costs of concrete and steel) it's possible Aura just wont pencil out. (Which while i would be hesitant to admit quite yet), might mean that highrise condos just can't be built in Sacramento. Constrcution costs are much higher on the west coast, while there just isn't the kind of money needed to fuel the kind of condo boom seen in SF or SD.

Craig Nassi himself said that he needed to see a return of $400 a sf in order to see a profit on a highrise condo in Sacramento. So the question would be (have construction costs there risen that sharply in just over 18 months???)

I don't think the fat lady has sung quite yet on Aura, but she may very well be warming up her voice. I agree with you Costa, that if Aura doesn't start excavation by next month I would say it probably isn't going to happen at all. I can't believe his permits are taking this long when that property had it's entitlements already in place. There's no reason for this project to be taking as long as it is and having wasted the entrire spring and summer construction season.

Cancelling a project of this magnitude, on top of the Jiboom street project and the Library lofts, would really be a serious blow to the momentum that seemed unstoppable only a few months ago.

Let's hope that all the delays amount to nothing and that Aura goes up as promised. It would be a shame if that project didn't get built.

Last edited by urban_encounter; Sep 21, 2006 at 1:46 PM.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2006, 5:25 PM

Old Posted Sep 21, 2006, 5:26 PM
my posse's on broadway

high-rise, luxury-living won't be the beginning or the end of downtown sacramento. there is much more to this city than that. you live up hgih for the view. you come down to the street for the life.

there's just too much idle speculation going around right now. noone knows how to kill a project better than the people of sacramento, and right now is their time to shine. nothiing is really changed since the announcements of these projects like the Towers and Aura, except that now we're all more aware of how difficult and costly the process is.

i'm not speaking of anyone in particular here, but it's really amazing to watch and read the comments of people who genuinely want to dance on the graves of these projects. while this city is so touchy about being labeled a cow town, it has become something worse - a can't town.

i just can't wait for these projects to be built. i don't have any doubt that they will be either. and when they're all done, Nassi, Saca and even Taylor should have a Cap Mall block party and invite all the naysayers.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area