HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 22, 2011, 2:50 AM
Utilisateur enregistré

The next LEGO® Architecture model: Vote for a Canadian wonder!

Here is a link to LEGO® website, where you can vote for what architectural wonder you would like to see as the next LEGO® Architecture model! As you can see, there is a Canadian architectural wonder amongst the suggestions!

http://architecture.lego.com/en-us/inspire-us/

_ _ _ _ _

United States Capitol
The United States Capitol is the meeting place of the United States Congress, the legislature of the federal government of the United States. Located in Washington, D.C., it sits atop Capitol Hill at the eastern end of the National Mall. When Washington D. C. became the capital city of the United States, Thomas Jefferson proposed a design competition to solicit designs for the Capitol. A late entry by amateur architect William Thornton was submitted on January 31, 1793, and received much praise for its "Grandeur, Simplicity, and Beauty" The original design by Thornton was later modified to include the current dome and the House and Senatewings.

Coliseum
The Coliseum,was originally called the Flavian Amphitheatre and is an elliptical amphitheater in the center of the city of Rome. It’s the largest ever built in the Roman Empire and is considered one of the greatest works of Roman architecture and engineering. Occupying a site just east of the Roman Forum, its construction started in 72 ADunder the emperor Vespasian and was completed in 80 AD under Titus. Capable of seating 50,000 spectators, the Coliseum was used for gladiatorial contests and public spectacles such as mock sea battles, animal hunts, executions, re-enactments of famous battles, and dramas based on classical mythology.

Eiffel Tower
The Eiffel Tower (nickname: La dame de fer, or the iron lady) is an iron lattice tower located on the Champ de Mars in Paris. Built in 1889, it has become both a global icon of France and one of the most recognizable structures in the world. The tower is the tallest building in Paris and the most-visited paid monument in the world. Named for its designer, engineer Gustave Eiffel, the tower was originally built as the entrance arch to the 1889 World’s Fair. The tower stands 324 metres (1,063 ft.) tall, which is about the same height as an 81-storey building. Upon its completion, it surpassed the Washington Monument to assume the title of tallest man-made structure in the world, a title it held for 41 years.

30 St Mary Axe (Gherkin)
30 St Mary Axe, often colloquially referred to as the Gherkin, is the iconic skyscraper in the heart of London’s main financial district, the City of London.Completed in December 2003 and opened at the end of May 2004, the tower has 40 floors and is 180 meters (591 ft.) tall. The building was designed by Norman Foster and Arup engineers, and was erected by Skanska in 2001–2003.Since its completion, the building has won a number of prestigious awards for architecture and has been voted the most admired new building in the world.

Golden Pavilion
The Golden Pavilion is a lavish three-story building on the grounds of the Rokuon-ji temple complex. The top two stories of the pavilion are covered with pure gold leaf, and the pavilion functions as a shariden, housing relics of the Buddha (Buddha's Ashes). Though the history of the temple complex goes all the way back to 1397, the present pavilion structure dates from 1955, when it was rebuilt after being completely destroyed in a fire. The reconstruction is said to be an exact copy of the original.Designated as a National Special Historic Site, it’s also one of the most popular buildings in Japan, attracting huge number of visitors every year.

Habitat 67
The origins of Habitat 67 go directly back Expo 67, one of the world’s largest universal expositions held in Montreal in 1967.Housing was one of its main themes and Habitat 67 became a thematic pavilion experienced by thousands of admiring visitors. The idea had come from Moshe Sadie, a student in architecture at McGill University. He was experimenting with urban and three-dimensional “single family dwellings” in an adaptable form. Habitat 67 was an event in itself at the time. It still is todaymore than 35 years after its creation. It is without a doubt one of the few modern utopias that was materialized which became a popular success as well as a “prestigious address”.

Montjuïc Communications Tower
Popularly known as Torre Calatrava and Torre Telefónica, it’s a stunning telecommunication tower located in theMontjuïc neighborhood of Barcelona, Spain. Designed by Santiago Calatrava, construction on the tower began in 1989 and was completed in 1992. The white tower was built forTelefónica to transmit television coverage of the 1992 Summer Olympics Games in Barcelona. The 136 m (446 ft.) tower is located in the Olympic park, and represents an athlete holding the Olympic Flame. The base is covered withtrencadis, Gaudí's mosaic technique created from broken tile shards.Because of the tower's orientation, italso works as a giant sundial, which uses the Europa Square below to indicate the hour.

Petronas Towers
The Petronas Towers (also known as the Petronas Twin Towers) were the tallest skyscrapers in the world from 1998 to 2004. The 88-floor towers are constructed largely of reinforced concrete with a steel and glass facade designed to resemble motifs found in Islamic art, a reflection of Malaysia’s Muslim religion. For the architect Cesar Pelli of Cesar Pelli& Associates, it was important to express the essence of the country. For him the skybridge that links the two towers symbolised a gateway to the future and physically, into the Kuala Lumpur City Centre.

Taipei 101
Taipei 101 is a renowned skyscraper located in Xinyi District, Taiwan. The building ranked officially as the world’s tallest from 2004 until 2010. Taipei 101 was designed by C.Y. Lee & partners and has served as an icon of modern Taiwan ever since its opening. Taipei 101 comprises 101 floors above ground and 5 floors underground. The building wascreated architecturally as a symbol of the evolution of technology and Asian tradition. Its postmodernist approach to style incorporates traditional design elements and gives them modern treatments. The509.2 m (1,670.6 ft.) tower is designed to withstand typhoons and earthquakes.

HSB Turning Torso
HSB Turning Torso, situated in Malmo is the tallest skyscraper in the Nordic countries. It was designed by the Spanish architect Santiago and officially opened on 27 August 2005. The tower reaches a height of 190 metres (623 feet) with 54 stories and the design is based on a sculpture by Calatrava called Twisting Torso, which is a white marble piece based on the form of a twisting human being. The building is constructed in nine segments of five-story pentagons that twist as it rises; the topmost segment is twisted ninety degrees clockwise with respect to the ground floor.

_ _ _ _ _

All of the pictures and descriptions posted above come from LEGO® website: http://architecture.lego.com/en-us/inspire-us/

Old Posted Nov 22, 2011, 3:30 AM
Community Guy

Petro or eif

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Nov 22, 2011, 3:42 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Habitat is already built out of lego. large blocks, that is.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2011, 3:58 AM
Look at me!

Eiffel tower wins the vote for me. That or the torso.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2011, 4:09 AM
Utilisateur enregistré

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Rommheim View Post
Eiffel tower wins the vote for me. That or the torso.
As you can vote three times, you won't have to choose (you could even vote for Habitat 67 at the same time)!

Old Posted Nov 22, 2011, 4:12 AM
Look at me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lake of the nations View Post
(you could even vote for Habitat 67 at the same time)!
Nah. But thanks. I don't vote anyways.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2011, 4:24 AM
surely you agree with me

those lego models are disappointing in reality...they are tiny and expensive and not very accurate...i got one of the hancock building and instead of being sloped the walls step back...it looks like the sears tower instead.

waste of money.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2011, 5:23 AM
Look at me!

I remember when lego was cool. Now, its Lego harry Potter or whats next, Lego justin bieiber?

Old Posted Nov 22, 2011, 3:27 PM

You're right about the size. My lego Guggenheim is super small. But some like the Farnsworth House or Fallingwater are much larger -which is reflected in the price.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2011, 3:37 PM

The Eiffel Tower is an all-time classic but the Turning Torso would be a lot of fun.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2011, 4:07 PM
Community Guy

I have the Sears, Space Needle, JHan, and ESB and yes they are relatively small and not very detailed, but still awesome and worth it IMO.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2011, 4:29 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
I remember when lego was cool. Now, its Lego harry Potter or whats next, Lego justin bieiber?
Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
those lego models are disappointing in reality...they are tiny and expensive and not very accurate...i got one of the hancock building and instead of being sloped the walls step back...it looks like the sears tower instead.
When they make custom/specialized LEGO blocks, one faction complains. When they use bog-standard LEGO blocks to make a model that isn't a fully accurate representation of something, another faction complains.

I mostly am unimpressed by the "Architecture" sets because they're charging $40 (ish?) for what amounts to maybe $5 worth of blocks. I couldn't believe the prices on these things; mind you I saw them at Holt Renfrew so that tells you what the target audience is (people with more money than brains).

Eiffel is almost certain to win this round. It's a pretty easy model at that scale based on their use of simpler pieces.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2011, 4:38 PM
Super Moderator / Sr. Committee

When I first saw the sets in the store, I though the box looked cooler than the actual product. Very disappointing and way too small a scale.

Flickr®

Old Posted Nov 22, 2011, 5:24 PM
Community Guy

"I mostly am unimpressed by the "Architecture" sets because they're charging $40 (ish?) for what amounts to maybe $5 worth of blocks. I couldn't believe the prices on these things; mind you I saw them at Holt Renfrew so that tells you what the target audience is (people with more money than brains)."

A niche product with cool history books inside. Collector items IMO. At least the 1st set.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2011, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
When they make custom/specialized LEGO blocks, one faction complains. When they use bog-standard LEGO blocks to make a model that isn't a fully accurate representation of something, another faction complains.

I mostly am unimpressed by the "Architecture" sets because they're charging $40 (ish?) for what amounts to maybe $5 worth of blocks. I couldn't believe the prices on these things; mind you I saw them at Holt Renfrew so that tells you what the target audience is (people with more money than brains).

Eiffel is almost certain to win this round. It's a pretty easy model at that scale based on their use of simpler pieces.
Holt Renfrew overcharges for the models. They're much cheaper at the Lego Store or of course, online.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2011, 5:51 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Ben Mulroney Megablocks ("build your own chin") and Tanya Kim K'nex (the snaredrum set).

Old Posted Nov 22, 2011, 6:51 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
A niche product with cool history books inside. Collector items IMO. At least the 1st set.
Oh for sure. You're not really paying for the LEGO itself. These are more of an "executive toy" type thing, even if they're not marketed as such. They're just a bit.. underwhelming, considering what fans have made over the years. I think they went a bit too simplistic on the designs considering the flexibility LEGO has to offer.

Don't know that I'd label them "collector's items" - at least not in the sense that there will ever be any rarity to these. There are tons on store shelves. They're neat additions to the LEGO completist though (as is the Star Wars advent calendar I saw the other day - a new mini toy every day!).

Old Posted Nov 25, 2011, 1:14 AM
Utilisateur enregistré

Current ranking, Movember 24. Habitat 67 is now fourth!
  1. Coliseum
    Votes:55860

2. United States Capitol
    Votes:53478

3. Taipei 101
    Votes:53226

4. Habitat 67
    Votes:49546

5. 30 St Mary Axe (Gherkin)
    Votes:45710

6. Petronas Towers
    Votes:43898

7. HSB Turning Torso
    Votes:43216

8. Montjuïc Communications Tower
    Votes:39152

9. Eiffel Tower
    Votes:38756

10. Golden Pavilion
    Votes:35431

Old Posted Nov 25, 2011, 6:31 AM

West Edmonton Mall

Old Posted Nov 25, 2011, 3:10 PM
Closed account

Voted for Habitat 67.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada