HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Skyscraper & Urban Art

Old Posted Mar 20, 2007, 8:55 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGII View Post
unless you're planning to merge two blocks together or something.
You hit the nail right on the head!

To the right of 1 Worldwide Plaza (looking at it from the West Side Highway)
is the 2 block are I want the merge together. If it just were Tower 1, I could fit it on one block, no problem. But Tower 2 is one hell of a size building which requires that accomidation. Tower 2 by the way is the real money maker from it's size.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2007, 11:17 PM
Finger Lickin' Good.

The black glass might not float over as well with the people. As said before, it would look like it came from the 70s or 80s. I would suggest using a brighter color, such as blue, possibly with a hint of green. It would look more modern, at least to me. What does everyone think of this idea?

But, Dac150, it's your project, not mine, so it's up to you. I'm just spitting out ideas, and you can take them or leave them.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2007, 1:00 AM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxmtbr View Post
The black glass might not float over as well with the people. As said before, it would look like it came from the 70s or 80s. I would suggest using a brighter color, such as blue, possibly with a hint of green. It would look more modern, at least to me. What does everyone think of this idea?
Do you think it would be a turn off to people though? Like, would you feel uncomfortable there to go shopping (as an example) or get a cup of coffee?

The design is very similar to the WTC. There is a large underground mall as well as street level retail and cafe's. I want to make the complex as pubicly appealing as possible, but I truly need the corporate feel to satisfy the commercial occupants. Plus, I am in love with the architecture, and the developer gets what he wants (not to come off like a bastard). A the end of the day though, its my money..........

Old Posted Mar 21, 2007, 1:37 AM

i really like tower 2. especially the third pic down
cant wait to see it complete

Old Posted Mar 21, 2007, 1:53 AM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanster View Post
i really like tower 2. especially the third pic down
cant wait to see it complete
Thank you. I am very proud of that building. I spent week playing around with different ideas and concepts to fit into that space. When I first designed in in 2004, I had hopes it would be the largest office building in the world, but cities like Dubai and Shanghi have crused that. It should take the title from 55 Water Street though as the largest office building in the city.

This is what tower 2 contains:

-3.5 Million sqft of Grade "A" office space
-Full sized theater
-5 star world class hotel
-street level retail and dining
-rooftop mezzanine with pool and garden
-meeting space
-90th floor indoor & outdoor observation decks (open to public )
-2 sky lobbies
-access to underground subway station
-underground shopping concourse (Mall) and dining
-Access to underground vehicle garage
-Two floor penthouse (two top floors of the hotel)
-And a few more ammenities here and there

I designed this building to be very versitile in giving ammenities to the public, guests, tourists, tenants, and the lucky person who will own that penthouse.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2007, 2:00 AM

wow access to underground subway!
so do the people walk out form the subway and go straight to the underground mall...?.... cool

Old Posted Mar 21, 2007, 2:08 AM
World Machine

Yes:
Sub lvl 1: Mall, concourse
Sub lvl 2: Mall, concourse, station
Sub lvl 3: Shopping/dining concourse, station
Sub lvl 4-7: garage
Sub lvl 8: Utility

The underground complex is all conected with access directly from both towers as well as one from the above ground plaza. The two towers are connected both underground and by the overpass, or if you want to stroll through the plaza.

The former WTC is a prime example of what this complex is like.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2007, 3:01 AM

im lovin it

Old Posted Mar 21, 2007, 3:27 AM
Finger Lickin' Good.

Sweet!

Old Posted May 6, 2007, 3:04 PM
World Machine

I have been working with a few designers and urban planners (students that his) from my school in the past month. I have revitalized the entire complex from the ground up. Tower 1 has now larger floorplates, Tower 2 is bigger and taller (with a new Observation deck, and I have added another tower (45 floors) to the complex. When I can I will show you guys the pics, but for now school is in session, and that comes first. Sorry, but I should have visual updates soon!!!

Old Posted May 6, 2007, 6:47 PM
World Machine

IS THERE ANYTHING YOU WANT TO SEE?

Please feel free make requests on what you would like to see incorporated into this complex!

Old Posted May 6, 2007, 6:58 PM
Finger Lickin' Good.

I think the idea is already great, I just can't wait to see more!

Old Posted May 7, 2007, 9:35 AM

Hi DC150,

Seeing that you are quite serious about this project (you have mentioned working on it for 5 years), of yours I would therefore also like to give some input and suggestions on what to improve to your design.

I really like the 5* Cassidy NY Hotel, especially the top, so would advise keeping the design. The observation deck of Tower 2 is quite interesting, perhaps ask yourself could it have an alternative use? Could this structure connect to the tallest structure in some way like you have done shown in your pictures? it would be interesting if it did.

With the tallest structure I believe it would be very interesting to see it in context with the surrounding buildings just to compare it with them. I feel it will add a different impression to NY never seen before in terms of proportions and dimensions relative to that of other buildings. For example, it appears so thin because its proportions relative to its height and base is significantly greater than usual. It does strike a resemblance to the WTC however, which may give a wrong impression. Nevertheless, it does pose curiosity and questions upon the viewer as to why such a design of this nature should have been.

Are there ways you could maximize effective use of space within your design? I see a lot of space on the ground level that may perhaps include extensions to one or more of the existing structures. Or you could incorporate additional functions in those space that will make it more interesting.

Although not a fan of the architectural style myself I am fascinated how it will look like in real life, perhaps you could add a few more pictures maybe of models/sketch drawings/coloured rendering/a montage, detailed plans, sections, elevations, that give us more of an idea of your proposal in context, that will in effect help us to give better and more varied input into the development of the design. Perhaps it will look good if the black casing facade will look impressive if it were to have a marble/reflective quality to it, rather than a block-solid black that alone, can intuitively make it unfriendly to the eye (a contrast of a brighter colour such as white, will reverse this effect). Since at the moment google sketchup does not appear to be the best tool to reflect upon the true intentions of your work, please do show us varying modes of mediums as well. It would be nice to see some real life block modellings too showing the spaces inside.

Edit: I forgot to mention, with the snapshots of your googlesketchup models, it maybe additionally helpful for us, if you could do short annotations to the various parts of the model to better explain what they are and how it is used? Arrows leading from the annotations to the parts of the model will be a good way to do represent this. I would also like to know how high and how wide the structures and the base are in meters

I agree with some of the others here about the fountain, and the issues with lack of trees. Circular structures are intuitively seen as more friendlier (hence the reason why most fountains are round). Trees can provide air in an area that lacks a fresh supply of it.

You have to start asking yourself whether such a design is socially, economically, and environmentally sustainable (the three stools of sustainability), will you test your designs to see if it will bring people together socially rather than turn them away? Will this be financially practical in terms of construction costs and maintenance? What impact will the construction/maintenance/function have on the surrounding environment? How will you go about addressing these issues?

Green architecture is becoming more popular in this age, maybe try experimenting in incorporating green design into the two towers (as mentioned earlier, the sky lobbies could serve as some sort of natural preserve). Or formulate a strategy to conserve energy, or benefit the environment in some way.

Don't forget to always, ask yourself whether you have justified clearly your intentions over the design of your proposal, have you clarified in detail valid reasoning over the decisions you have made? Is your design rational, logical?

I see a few sculptures there, but do they make sense? There appears a pyramid but serves no inherent (useful) function other than to be looked at and become some sort thing to fill in a void, would it perform in any other way? i.e. Storage space, somewhere to sit, electrical generator installment etc. Also it seems a little out of place as well.

Lastly, I would advise that you print out all our suggestions, and stick them in some sort of sketchbook so you can look back and work alongside them (that's what I do )

We look forward to see how your project evolves and progresses over the course of time

Regards,
Imperar

Last edited by Imperar; May 7, 2007 at 9:49 AM.

Old Posted May 8, 2007, 9:42 PM
World Machine

Imperar,

Thank you so much for the feedback. It is comments like this one I wish would come along more often. You really gave me a good perception on how an individual's minset is toward this project. Both you compliments and suggestion were taken into consideration and appreciated. I do plan on keeping your post (as suggestion) for reference. It's good to have opinions and suggestions from a civilian rather than a partner.

As you did state and were correct; google sketchup limits your ability to what you can do and not do. That is the case. What I have done is a mock rough sketch of the project, so physical appearence is something that has to be set aside in this case. I just want to give the public an idea for what could be.

You also said to consider the social and economic aspects of the project which I along with my partners have immensly gone over. Socially I can see where your coming from as far as the "unfriendly appearence". The development will provide retail, a mall, hotel, numerous eateries, access to public transportation, observation deck, street retail, trees, gardens, civilian accessible lobbeis, etc. So there are many people friendly aspects. I for one though love this architectural style and by the time this falls into place, (given this projects architectual style) it could be considered neo-classic representing architecture from many decades ago.

Economically, yes this project will go well into the billions, however there are many beneficial aspects to make the price tag well worth it. Millions of Grade A office space for mid-town, much retail, public transportation access, tourism, etc. My ultimate goal is to also have a direct below grade train system that will connect Cassidy plaza to LGA, Newark, and JFK Airports. That of course is a sole proposal, but if built, will cut down vehicle transportation into the city from the airports, and city connection via subway is also a definate incorporation. With all that at hand, the city zoning council, has told me along with my partners, that the project itself stands a considerable chance of becoming a hard proposal, providing the fact that the zoning council can strike an agreement.

The big obstacle will be funding, and banks are not just going to hand over billions of dollars. So yes we have are work cut out for us, though myself along with my team are strongly confident in our ambition.

Expect new visual updates to appear this weeked for sure!
Thank you so much Imprerar. You comment is once again highly valued.

For everyone else, do not be shy to give feedback like Imprerar. That is what i am looking for.

Thank you,
-Dac150

Old Posted May 11, 2007, 10:12 PM
World Machine

Update Soon..

Here is a quick shot until the big visual update:

As you can see, there are many changes:

More to come soon.........

Old Posted Jun 29, 2007, 5:45 PM
nuttin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
Come on guys, how about some replies. All this work and just one.............................

Hi Dac , being quite a noob i spent some time not long ago trying to find every available SU project in the forums , i thought i had seen them all but a few obviously snuck by . maybe chuck a link to this thread in your posts -thats how i found a lot of other peoples threads

I would definately have replied and said how cool your project sounds and looks ,with awesome detail, i hope the real project is successful Is there enough render on iy for a view minus the edges ?

I think it will still be looked on as a good design in the future years yeah.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2007, 10:14 PM
World Machine

Hey Thank you!

Old Posted Jun 29, 2007, 10:25 PM
Registered Lurker

I never saw this thread. I just read the whole thing and I find this entire project fascinating! Dac, I had no idea you were a real designer, cool! Your signature makes sense to me now. I hope you are still for real with this project and plan on showing more pictures. I would love to give feedback. I'm not an expert on designing, but neither will the people who live, work, or frequent the plaza. I hope to see more of this. I have already noticed very small details I'd like to comment on, but I'd rather be sure you are still working on this, and if you are, for the big visual update you mentioned above in case you fixed anything I noticed.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2007, 11:25 PM
World Machine

I will give a big visual update within the next week.

In the mean time, feel free to comment on what is currently here.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2007, 11:31 PM
nuttin

Are you gonna join in the compilation city ?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Skyscraper & Urban Art