HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Mar 30, 2010, 4:07 AM

Louisville

So life in ole NEOH has been a bit hectic... so I left. Visited some friends 6 hours down I-71. Didn't really take the camera too seriously while I was gone, so none of my usual "art".

Everything can be found in color here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/4611704...7623607350105/ . The glass blowing could probably benefit, but I didn't want to really have any color.

At any rate, for the soundtrack, some nice chilled out fuzzy garage pop off of a 7 inch that got a lot of "air time" in the car. Personally I can't wait to see her play in Chicago roundabouts April.

Video Link

Soku 39 skateboarding age 12 to 22, 10 years!

Exactly what it looks like.

Thanks for taking a peak, and yes I do realize that my narrations are those of an annoying 14 year old valley girl, not those of a college graduate. I think they're written like that simply to entertain. Basically I'm apologizing for any eye rolls I will inevitably garner with things such as "omg".

Last edited by Soku39; Mar 30, 2010 at 12:13 PM.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2010, 4:46 AM

Great thread. I like the b&w cloudiness. Louisville is a great town.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2010, 2:54 PM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Luhvul.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2010, 4:29 PM

I love Louisville. Keep it weird!

Old Posted Mar 31, 2010, 7:21 PM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
I feel a strange kinship to this... Louisville... of which you speak.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Apr 4, 2010, 11:52 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

I've only been through Louisville twice, and actually stopped once, even though it's the next city east on I-64, across a strange, quiet region encompassing southern IL and IN. It was very surreal from my point of view, it has scaled down physical elements here and there that remind me of St. Louis, including a riverfront expressway (although that thing is worse than I-70 here), an elevated double decked I-64, lots of cast iron storefronts, and has similar flat roofed non-gabled one story shotguns called "railroad houses" here (though frame in Louisville) that I've not really seen anywhere else other than isolated examples in Chicago. The metropolitan region is laid out in a very similar fashion to St. Louis, rotated counter clockwise 90 degrees. My God, that brick 2 story house that was photographed could so easily have been in St. Louis. An obsession with the fleur-de-lis. An almost identical latitude (although culturally more southern - for instance many people in Louisville would consider themselves southern, but a St. Lousian would be surprised/confused at the question). I could go on and on.
However, blanket generalizations about the nature of the city, for instance about how it's geographical place in Kentucky and indeed, the edge of the upper south, plays out culturally, remains elusive. Coincidentally, I have friends, much older than myself (hey have kids slightly younger than me) that moved from Cleveland to Louisville.

Last edited by Centropolis; Apr 5, 2010 at 12:18 AM.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2010, 6:21 AM

that skatepark looks decent
how close to downtown is it?

Old Posted Apr 7, 2010, 5:42 AM

It's the thing marked "Louisville extreme park" http://maps.google.com/maps?q=louisv...,0.013797&z=16 so pretty close to downtown, maybe about 30 minutes walking to get to 1st and Main.

...and it's more than decent, I can very clearly remember a John Cardiel's part for one of the mid 2000s Transworld vids filmed there, as well as, I think a part Tony Trujillo did in an early Anti-Hero skateboards vid, both were jaw dropping. The park is easily one of the best concrete creations on this side of the Mississippi, the only place I've ridden and had more fun was the park in Athens Ohio, and christ that I hit a wall there so hard and fast in that thing I couldn't ride for 2 weeks a couple summers ago, the transitions in it and the L'ville park are effing mansized. 10 years on board and they both scare the hell out of me.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2010, 1:11 PM
Red October standing by

great pics, i like the moodiness.

-

-fflint

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos