HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Dec 17, 2006, 4:54 PM
On Guard For Thee

Maybe I misunderstand the Niagara Falls retail market, but does this not leave the city without a traditional, full-line department store? For years that Bay space was a branch of my hometown's own Robinson's chain...The Bay picked it up I'm thinking in the early 90s when they bought up most of the Robinson's locations. So now, if you want a Bay/Sears type experience you'll need to go to St Catherines?

Back to Rossberg's--approximately when did it close? By the exterior it seems to have been alive into the 70s--I'm guessing probably into the 80s as it doesn't look that badly decayed.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2006, 4:58 PM
It's Hammer Time

I was at Niagara Falls this weekend with friends and we all went on the Skywheel which was great cause we went right at 9pm so we got to see the fireworks well on the Skywheel.

The only problem I have is where's the lights along Skylon Tower?

Old Posted Dec 18, 2006, 2:03 PM

Fastcars, Rosberg's closed, I think, around 1992. Queen St. had deteriorated so much by then that business was dismal, and, if memory serves me, a family death (owners?) was involved.
Steeltown, the lack of lights on the Skylon has drawn some discussion earlier in this thread. Check it out.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2006, 4:53 AM
"CITY OF THUNDER"

HILTON, NIAGARA FALLS
Not sure if this is a big deal yet, but the Hilton had a hole dug out front of their property today!

Blog Link: NFD&P

Old Posted Dec 20, 2006, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator / Sr. Committee

It's only a utilities extension / upgrade.

Flickr®

Old Posted Dec 23, 2006, 12:33 AM
"CITY OF THUNDER"

Power projects will fuel Niagara growth

MONIQUE BEECH / Osprey News Network
Local News - Friday, December 22, 2006

Niagara's economic outlook is headed for a major upswing in 2007 fuelled by two large power projects, predicts the Conference Board of Canada. For St. Catharines-Niagara, economic growth is expected to hit 3.1 per cent, the fastest rate since 2000, states the 2007 Metropolitan Outlook, an annual economic performance and trend report. In 2006, projected growth was a mere 0.4 per cent. This year, St. Catharines-Niagara is forecast to have the fourth fastest-growing economy out of 27 major Canadian metropolises, falling just behind western boom towns, Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver, the recently released report found. "It's a little bit of a different story for the western provinces, where the economy has been growing for years and will continue to be strong," the report's author, Alan Arcand, said from his Ottawa office. "St. Catharines is more of a rebound." Niagara's economic engine will be revved by two new power projects. The $470-million natural-gas-fired power plant planned for Abitibi Consolidated's recycled newsprint mill in Thorold will be complete in 2009. The project will create more than 300 jobs during construction, starting early next year. The second project is the 10.4-kilometre tunnel to bring water from Niagara Falls to Queenston's hydroelectric generating complex, which will be completed by 2009. About 230 jobs will be created during construction. The projects are also forecast to create spinoff jobs in the transportation, storage and communications sectors. "When you have two major construction projects, it really boosts the numbers," Arcand said. "It's not surprising you'll see growth next year, given you have two big projects." The forecast good news is welcome after several years of big blows to Niagara's manufacturing sector, said Patrick Gedge, chief executive officer with the Niagara Economic Development Corp. Gedge said he hopes the boom in the region's power-producing sector lures other lucrative companies to Niagara. "I hope it gets the business community in Canada thinking about how St. Catharines-Niagara area is in fact a business community," Gedge said. "One where companies can make good and profitable investments, and see us not just as a tourism destination." Gedge said the region still needs to spend energy strengthening its weaker economic sectors, such as manufacturing. Trudy Parsons said the projected growth is great as long as Niagara's workforce is qualified to fill available jobs. "We need to identify exactly what the skills sets are that these employers are going to be looking for so we can actually match the people to the jobs," Parsons said.

Conference Board of Canada - Metropolitan Outlook Winter 2007

Top four centres (out of 27) projected to have the fastest-growing economies in 2007:

1. Calgary - 3.9 per cent

2. Edmonton - 3.6 per cent

3. Vancouver 3.1 per cent

4. St.Catharines/Niagara Falls - 3.1 per cent

Old Posted Dec 27, 2006, 4:04 PM
"CITY OF THUNDER"

Niagara Square Shopping Centre

I was talking to a member of the management team at the Bay yesterday, and she said that the entire Bay Department Store is going to be leveled to make room for more Big Box Stores at the mall. Tall Steel was told that a Mandarin restaurant was taking it's place, so I quess we'll see which rumour rings true?

Blog Link: Niagara Falls Developments & Proposals

Old Posted Dec 27, 2006, 5:15 PM
"CITY OF THUNDER"

Tony, I know you and Realcity do alot of Diagrams for SSP. Do you know what happened to the Hilton expansion at 52 stories, it's not even listed anymore. I know it was between the Rainbow Tower and the Days Inn expansion, although there was never a diagram done for it. Also has anyone ever heard what happened to the Rainbow Tower, was it just too expensive and risky considering all the obstacles in the tourist industry. The last I heard was they were doing revisions to the proposed height of the building.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2006, 5:59 PM

There is a diagram for the Hilton Expansion done by Kamuix, but it is listed under Stale Proposal. As for the Rainbow Tower I haven't heard any news about it yet so I guess we will just have to wait.

Also is the Bay still open or is it closed now because I haven't been there in a while, the last I heard is that it is moved out.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2006, 8:46 AM
A long time gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
It's only a utilities extension / upgrade.
i love your avatar...
Is this topic about the town of Niagara Falls, ON? I'm sorry to tell you but i went there this september and was shocked by how ugly it is, it seems all worn down and boarded-up, and that amusement area close to the falls is even worse, it looks like disneyworld or something, close to the most beautiful falls of North America... what a shame.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2007, 5:45 AM
On Guard For Thee

Spiritedenergy--NF is NF...it is what it is. If you saw something boarded up and worn down I can only assume you visited the traditional downtown, along Queen Street. Indeed, this is an area of the city in need of some TLC. Apparently you didn't like Clifton Hill--The Hill isn't for everyone's taste--but for all the neon and noise--for all the high rises along the escarpment--if you stand and look at the wonder of the Falls themselves, nothing diminishes their beauty and power--you stand and look at that water and it could be 500 years ago.

It's a shame you didn't get to experience more of the Niagara Parks system--which is unrivaled in it's beauty, nature and serenity. Next time you find yourself in the area I recommend you take the Parkway from Fort Erie to Queenston.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2007, 3:25 PM
"CITY OF THUNDER"

I couldn't have said it any better myself, Fastcarsfreedom. I know people love to knock Niagara Falls and all its gaudy attractions, and I'm ok with that, because everyone has there own opinion on what is beautiful and what's not. All I know is when you see the faces of the tourists walking up Clifton Hill, they seem to be really enjoying the experience. And when you see them down at the Falls, they're not staring up at the buildings behind them, they're staring across at this amazing natural wonder in front of them. It's all about perspective, what are you going to take away from the experience. The brightly colored and tacky attractions throughout the landscape, and the very poor and inadequate side streets. Or are you going to put into your memory banks one of the most extraordinary sights on earth?

Old Posted Jan 5, 2007, 3:43 PM
"CITY OF THUNDER"

DENNY'S IS CLOSING, CONFIRMED!

Yesterday I noticed workers at the Hilton on Fallsview putting up semi-permanent chain link fencing around the entire parking lot, also the Days Inn next door is closed with a sign that reads...for room accommodations and pre- booked reservations please go to the Hilton located directly behind this hotel. Sorry for any inconvenience. And confirmed by a worker at the adjacent Denny's, it will officially be closed for good on Sunday.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2007, 1:29 AM
A long time gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcarsfreedom View Post
Spiritedenergy--NF is NF...it is what it is. If you saw something boarded up and worn down I can only assume you visited the traditional downtown, along Queen Street. Indeed, this is an area of the city in need of some TLC. Apparently you didn't like Clifton Hill--The Hill isn't for everyone's taste--but for all the neon and noise--for all the high rises along the escarpment--if you stand and look at the wonder of the Falls themselves, nothing diminishes their beauty and power--you stand and look at that water and it could be 500 years ago.

It's a shame you didn't get to experience more of the Niagara Parks system--which is unrivaled in it's beauty, nature and serenity. Next time you find yourself in the area I recommend you take the Parkway from Fort Erie to Queenston.
thank you for your kind reply. Actually I was very badly impressed at the beginning of my trip, at the railway station where out of it everything was looking so bad... we wanted to go around up to Niagara on the Lake but didn't work out.
The falls are beautiful indeed, but is the water polluted or that foam is just from the falls? And that amusement park... blah. We were waiting to see untouched nature around the falls, that's why probably we were badly impressed.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2007, 2:07 AM
"CITY OF THUNDER"

Denny's is Closed

My wife and I brought our kids to a special for area residents today, where local museums only cost a dollar to get in...great deal! Anyways, as we were leaving I drove past the Denny's owned by the Hilton, and it had just closed up for good. Already they had their signs taken down off the building, and the inside was being gutted. This building will probably be down before I even make it back there! Also the big Hilton sign that sat at the corner of the building is now gone.

Last edited by FALLSVIEW; Jan 8, 2007 at 4:40 AM.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2007, 6:36 AM

Nice I have been waiting for years to see this start happing Not like the was anything good at the dennys it was the run off of the hilton. They would get the junk fries and oil that we used. Then when we needed anything we took it from there.Not to much room in the 33floor fridge. They need more fridges in the place.

But anyways Its good news and cant wait to see the construction. Lest see the piles start.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2007, 10:10 PM
BANNED

Do you have the updated rendering?

Old Posted Jan 10, 2007, 9:57 PM
BANNED

Here it is, posted by mark simpson @ urbantoronto.ca

Last edited by WHISTLERINMUSKOKA; Jan 14, 2007 at 3:19 PM.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2007, 6:45 PM

Thats a beautiful building. I love its architectural design. the detailing is so great. Hope to see the dennys down soon.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2007, 11:57 PM
"CITY OF THUNDER"

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect1 View Post
Thats a beautiful building. I love its architectural design. the detailing is so great. Hope to see the dennys down soon.
Your wish is their command architect1!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario