HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jun 5, 2011, 6:28 PM

OMAHA | Downtown Condo Living, Genocide Affects Omaha's Sudanese

For the last few years developers of new condos Downtown have put on the Downtown Living Tour as a showcase for their properties. New ones are added each year, while some are mainstays each year.
I think this year had the fewest amount of properties to view but it is still a big event in Downtown. Shuttles are provided to ferry prospective condo buyers and those who just want to take a peek, around to the different condo buildings.

While these may be some of the most expensive residences in Downtown, they are by no means indicative of all residential living here. Personally, I would like to see the tour expanded to not only the high end properties (the cheapest of these pictured start between $180K-$200K+).
I think this event does wonders for the attention of specific projects but if it's going to be called a "Downtown Living Tour" I feel it should showcase all of the living options Downtown: from apartments to condos across all price ranges.

I would also like to see more information presented on Downtown to people. Most taking the tour, even though they are locals, are not aware of what services are offered Downtown. They may know their favorite Old Market restaurant but they don't know where to buy groceries.
Some of the agents I spoke with were equally clueless about the surroundings of the properties they were pitching, while some (not surprisingly those who live Dotwntown already) think their could be more done to spread information vital to living Downtown.

I started the tour at the Paxton. Originally built as a hotel it had degenerated to a glorified flop-house for the homeless. It was purchased by a local developer a few years ago and turned into condos. I was extremely displeased with the agents working the Paxton.
The lobby had many people waiting to take the tour but between agents disappearing after promising to take us up the secured elevator, to the only agent I saw other completely ignoring people in the lobby, I left without seeing a model unit.

The Paxton

The jLofts

This is one of the condo projects that was new construction as opposed to many that are rehabs of older buildings.
I like this one for offering ground level retail that was previously unavailable in the single story brick building it replaced.

The Joslyn Lofts

This is a very recent apartment-to-condo conversion. Renters are being offered discounted prices to buy if they choose so.

The Lofts at Soma

Soma was Downtown first big condo project and has been built in multiple phases over the years. Construction of the final phase is going on now.
Most of the residences at Soma are 4-5 story townhomes while the Lofts are designed closer to the style of traditional Old Market loft apartments. The view from here are killer.

Dunsany Flats

First, I forgot to get a picture of the front. This project is a recent rehab of an old apartment building actually just south of Downtown proper.

Beebe & Runyan

Where Soma was one of the first new construction condo projects, Beebe & Runyan was one of the original condo rehabs. I had the change to tour this building years ago before the conversion and the inside is night and day different.
The atrium that runs the height of the building (not counting floors used for parking) replaced floor after floor of old furniture and piles of junk left over the years.

Riverfront Place 1 & 2

Tower 1 has been completed for sometime while the taller second tower is set to have it's grand opening next weekend. This condo project is perhaps Omaha's most visible due to it's location next to the popular Kerrey Bridge. While taking advantage of it's riverfront location, Tower 22 may be at risk for flooding due to the high levels of the Missouri River.
The worst of the flooding is expected to come in 2 weeks when the water is expected to be within a foot of Omaha's levy. High water levels have already closed down part of the riverfront area on the Omaha side. It has already come up to where the sidewalk used to be visible.
The Council Bluffs (Iowa) side is already under water while many small towns along the river have already seen people abandon their homes in anticipation of the destruction.

I completely spaced checking out the 1101 Jackson building. Due to the problems that plague the shuttles every single year I missed getting out to Midtown Crossing, the new 600-unit, 1,000,000 sq ft residential/commercial project built by Mutual of Omaha.

Walking home past the Douglas County Courthouse and City Hall I came upon this protest of Omar Bashir's butchery in southern Sudan. Omaha has the largest population of Sudanese in the US. I don't remember the exact number but it was surprising; many thousands as opposed to many hundreds that you would expect in cold Nebraska.
I spoke with the woman in orange about what is taking place. After immigrating here 13 years ago she is still trying to get family and friends out of Sudan. Many in the crowd still have friends and family affected by what is happening in Sudan. They were trying to create awareness of what is going on and hope to appeal to US officials to send in humanitarian aid at the very least.

Last edited by DTO Luv; Jun 5, 2011 at 11:08 PM. Reason: added photo

Old Posted Jun 5, 2011, 8:24 PM
Red October standing by

great tour. makes me sad i was crushed by work and had to go out of town during our loft tour here.

-

-fflint

Old Posted Jun 5, 2011, 8:26 PM

Those condos are beautiful. Wish my house looked like a model home.

Anyway, the city of Omaha should put this picture on the front page of it's website:

Old Posted Jun 5, 2011, 8:37 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

I've always loved those 'Lofts at Suma'. They are so attractive, have great views, and great rooftop decks. How much for one of those with a deck on top?

This view is killer:

Omaha looks great.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2011, 10:46 PM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Omaha is very underrated. Nice pics.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2011, 11:12 PM

I'm glad to see more of Omaha posted around these parts. We can see some other neighborhoods in the future also ? That's if it's in your queue

Old Posted Jun 5, 2011, 11:17 PM

I realized I accidentally left one out. Here it is from the roof of Beebe & Runyan, but I added it to the original post too.

PA Pride, every unit has a rooftop deck. A quick check of the website lists them from $250K-$530K.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2011, 2:19 AM

Fantastic shot, Omaha is really strutting it's stuff here:

Some cool spaces shown here.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2011, 6:00 AM
Go Beavs! Go Niners!

Awesome tour of the city! Love those rooftop views, condo & loft tours! Thanks for sharing.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2011, 6:33 AM

LOVE THIS VIEW

Old Posted Jun 7, 2011, 8:27 AM

Wow, thank you everyone. I'm truly appreciative of your comments in a way because they feel different now. That skyline you have all enjoyed may be going away.

I was out taking pictures last night and was shooting across the street from First National Bank (the tallest) and for the umpteenth time over the years I've been shooting with a DSLR I was told by guards for the bank to move and stop taking pictures of the building; it's their policy.

As I said, not the first time I've dealt with this. I explained to him I was not on their property and I would not move or stop, but I was going to move away from him and if he kept it up he would be violating my right to shoot and harassing me and stalking (according to Nebraska law). He pursued and I told him to stop, mainly for his own good because they think they're "doing their job" when in fact they are violating my basic civil liberties.

After refusing to leave a public sidewalk and to stop taking pictures at the request of a corporate security guard I was told I'd now have to face the wrath of the coming night shift supervisor! Ok, I told them I was filming it all. (Product placement in 3...2...1... my new Canon 7D these lovely pictures were taken with)

I was honestly surprised by what came next. The supervisor, who looked younger than me (I'm 25) became belligerent right of the bat and started cussing at me. I told him at this point they were harassing me and it would now become a police matter. He said the police were already called on the way. I was glad to wait.

Once the officer arrived I explained to him that I was on the sidewalk so they had no reason to be doing any of this, it is outside of their bounds. This was the sidewalk, his realm, tell them to stop bothering me. Things got worse. I was very glad to have this all recorded. (Canon 7D!)

The officer says,"You don't know why they wouldn't want you taking pictures of the tallest skyscraper in Omaha? Long story short, I got the homeland security bullshit and that somehow taking pictures of tall buildings is terrorist activity. I asked the officer to explain to me what law I was breaking and he told me there was none I was breaking, but First National Bank didn't want me there so he was there to enforce that.

I was shocked. I still kind of am. In dealing with First National's security before, if you stood your ground and stated your rights they may radio in to save face at work but it ultimately would amount to a "I'll let you this time...", like they can even tell you that in the first place. I did not expect the police to show up. I really did not expect them to drag this out because, as I told them, they have better things to do than enforce corporate rules on me to stop taking pictures; while they are supposedly "the law" yet don't even know who's side they're supposed to be on. I started to think I might actually get arrested.

But no, I have now been barred and banned for life from the property of a building I live within site of and walk by regularly. So what, now if I walk by there and they see me on camera am I going to be treated as a trespasser on public property? Actually get arrested? Apparently in Omaha that's the case.

(I'm actually 4inches taller and if I weighed that little I'd look weird)

I'm actually interested if any of you have similar stories or know people this has happened to because I think this problem occurs more often than people think and realize. It's ok for them to have us on camera at all times, but the corporations and the police don't want us looking back at them? I say no.

However, I've come up with a solution until this issue can be resolved. I give you the new First Official First National Bank of Omaha Approved Skyline!

Old Posted Jun 7, 2011, 12:10 PM
BANNED

Wonderful photos. I live in Atlanta but just spent a weekend in Omaha. It is emerging as a wonderful city. The Holland Perfroming Arts Center is magnificent. Simple and clean design but the acoustics in the concert hall of nothing short of perfection. If the Atlanta Symphony could have such space it would be great. Thanks for your photos. They pic up the rhythm of the city. Thanks.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2011, 2:59 PM
video et taceo

Old Posted Jun 8, 2011, 1:26 AM

Nice tour, some of those skyline shots really impressed me. I had no idea Omaha was that built out in the core. I think Wired magazine just did an article about downtown Omaha.

That sucks about your run in, I've never had any issues taking shots from the street. I've been kicked out of a few private parking garages but there isn't much to make a case for being there since it's private property. Not sure what you could do other than call the local paper, I'm sure their photogs get harassed all the time, then again they have press passes.

damn, no exceptions, will not expire... you must have made them pretty mad.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2011, 5:53 PM

Nice! And I have always LOVED that Onion piece. "She's gone Omaha". haha.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2011, 6:19 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTO Luv View Post
PA Pride, every unit has a rooftop deck. A quick check of the website lists them from $250K-$530K.
Thanks! I ask this question in certain threads and never get an answer. That's about the price range I would've expected.

I love those units and if I ever happened to have a job offer in Omaha I would check those out.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2011, 6:23 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTO Luv View Post
However, I've come up with a solution until this issue can be resolved. I give you the new First Official First National Bank of Omaha Approved Skyline!

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

You are my hero. Great job. I'm sorry you had to go through such shit to bring us these photos.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2011, 6:25 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

I personally think homeland security should just pluck every last citizens eyeballs out with a spoon, that way NONE of us would know where any buildings were and we couldn't fly planes through them anymore.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2011, 11:09 PM

I'm pissed about your ordeal. What utter BS. Every time someone over- reacts like this, the terrorists win.The only thing they need to worry about striking their building is lightning and pigeons. I believe its still ok to photograph the White House and the US Capitol building, far more important targets. Anyway, nice pics.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2011, 12:15 AM
Environmental Sabotage

Great photos and yep, I have had similar experiences taking pictures of buildings in Century City and the Financial District in LA. I generally have gotten all the pictures I need by the time I am confronted by security guards so I just walk away and let them know I already got what I came for.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos