HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 11, 2009, 12:33 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Tenderloin Garage Gets Some Green Scales
Tuesday, March 10, 2009, by Andy J. Wang

How long does it take to build a parking garage anyway? The folks at Larkin and Golden Gate seem to be taking their sweet time — granted, the ground-floor retail probably needs a little more attention than the car holes above — until we saw that they were lathering a little tender loving care all over the whole building. Some TLC In the form of sickly green tiling. C'est la vie, as they say. It's a parking garage.

Source: http://sf.curbed.com/archives/2009/0...scales.php?o=2

The final product

Source: http://sf.curbed.com/archives/2008/0...ngs_garage.php

Old Posted Mar 11, 2009, 12:42 AM
BANNED

Quote:
700 Valencia Rising (A Plugged-In Reader's Perspectives)

While plugged-in people know what’s coming (and of course what was there), and it’s a plugged-in Brian Stokle that provides an update ("just starting 2nd floor") and a couple of early perspectives on the soon to be five-story 700 Valencia rising.

Source: http://www.socketsite.com/

Old Posted Mar 11, 2009, 4:38 PM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Haha, I personally know that "plugged-in Brian Stokle." Small world.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2009, 11:00 PM
BANNED

Quote:
The Designs And Details For 1960-1998 Market (At Buchanan)

Our discussion around the shuttered 76 Station at Market and Buchanan quickly turns to the Arquitectonica design and details. And a plugged-in tipster delivers on both.

The proposed project would involve the replacement of all existing uses on the site with a nine-story, 85-foot-tall mixed-use building totaling approximately 146,800 gross square feet in area, including ground floor parking.

The proposed building would include approximately 108 condominium units, 86 off-street parking spaces located on the ground floor and in two below-grade garage levels, and three ground-floor commercial spaces totaling 8,150 square feet. Off-street parking would be accessed from Buchanan Street.

As always, we'll keep you posted and plugged-in. And a tip of the hat to our tipsters.
Source: http://www.socketsite.com/

Old Posted Mar 11, 2009, 11:04 PM
BANNED

Quote:
55 LAGUNA IS OK! —A reader forwarded us an email from Openhouse, which is partnering with developer AF Evans Co. to build an 85-unit affordable housing complex for LGBT seniors at 55 Laguna. The group sent out an email today regarding the fate of the project. AF Evans' recent Chapter 11 filing, the executive director says, "will have minimal impact on the 55 Laguna Street project. ... CEO Art Evans ... re-affirmed the commitment of AF Evans to 55 Laguna and told me that their filing will not affect their efforts on the project. AF Evans is not going out of business and does not plan any layoffs. It is strategically addressing the reality of this unprecedented economic climate." Phew!
Source: http://sf.curbed.com/archives/2009/0...eader_comments

Old Posted Mar 11, 2009, 11:52 PM

Tenderloin Green Scales Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTinSF View Post
Thanks for the update BT. I have been wondering a long time as to what the skin would look like. I can see the structure from my balcony. Not too excited about the green color, but I will not have to look at it unless I lean over on the balcony.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2009, 3:06 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Lots of work by Arquitectonica here lately. I like the direction of that rendering. And I'm glad to see 55 Laguna shouldn't be affected by AF Evans' bankruptcy.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Mar 13, 2009, 7:27 PM
BANNED

Don't stone me but this time maybe the NIMBYs have a point:

Quote:
Neighborhood Meeting this Wednesday, 6pm re: 430 Main and 429 Beale Streets - Tell Them To Forget It!
March 12th, 2009 · No Comments

Case Nos. 2007.1121XV: 430 Main / 429 Beale Street - Feel Free to use these images in your own letters to Ben Fu, Planning Department, 1650 Mission Street, 4th Floor, San Francisco, CA 94103

The community meeting hosted by the developer is Wednesday, March 18, 2009 from 6:00 pm until 8:00 pm at the South Beach Harbor Services Community Room between Pier 40 and AT&T Park.

113 residential units proposed to be shoehorned into this TOO SMALL OF A SPACE immediately south of BayCrest Towers, requiring several exemptions and variances from the Rincon Hill Plan that our community just put our efforts into passing in 2005 … NO WAY, NO HOW, NO EXCEPTIONS for 430 MAIN/429 BEALE!!

They want to take away our natural sunlight and create shadows, especially for residents who live in units with their only window facing the BayCrest open space/courtyard recreational area. This is a huge negative environmental impact from an aesthetic and recreational standpoint. Will the solar panels used to get electricity to heat the pool be blocked? Probably. Will people living in units facing the courtyard have to run their heaters and lighting fixtures more often, creating more CO2 emissions? Yes. NO WAY, NO HOW, NO EXCEPTIONS!

This design is too large in order to acommodate the RIncon Hill Plan and other Planning Code Requirements. Even worse, they’re asking for an exemption from a Planning Code that requires a 45 degree angle opening to the sky from ALL directions from a building’s courtyard while COVERING UP BAYCREST TOWERS’S ONLY 45 DEGREE ANGLE OPENING TO THE SKY, TAKING AWAY OUR SUNSHINE AND SIGNIFICANTLY IMPACTING BAYCREST RESIDENTS’ ENJOYMENT AND AESTHETICS OF THEIR UNITS AND COURTYARD/SWIMMING AREA. What the hell sense of fairness is that?!?!? We didn’t say it was okay to block our single 45 degree angle opening to natural sunlight.

At the community meeting on March 18th, tell them to use their brains to redesign the plans or go fish in some other neighborhood that will accept their half-baked and negative impacting development plans. They need to cut out the majority of the center of their building design in order to maintain a 45 degree opening to the sky from the BayCrest Towers courtyard/swimming area/open space. Planning Commissioners must deny this project unless it sticks to the idea of ensuring sunlight access to units and internal courtyards. They also need to plan on providing up to 32 feet of sidewalk space on each side (Main and Beale) to match the planned widened sidewalks on those streets. Finally, the Rincon Hill Plan calls for adequate open space per residence - NO EXCEPTIONS.

The bottom line is that they’re trying to shove a cow in a poodle’s travel carrier .. and they’re asking for exceptions to the Rincon Hill Plan because they cannot meet the Planning Codes that were established to prevent just this sort of half-baked, rigged design from mucking up the Rincon Hill neighborhood. Not every building should be hundreds of units and 8 stories high … if you don’t have the property area to do it, forget it! Even ruder of this developer is that they’re totally blocking off the one 45 degree opening to natural sunlight provided to the inner courtyard and courtyard-facing units at BayCrest, and that should put a bullet in this project’s plan as a non-starter for Rincon Hill neighbors.

This is the view from my studio condo’s window at 8:30 am on 3-10-2009 … is it right to take away what little sunlight my unit and our courtyard receives from the opening between the Bay Bridge and the tops of the buildings below? No.

Tags: Activism
Source: http://www.rinconhillsf.org/2009/03/12/1791

Old Posted Mar 20, 2009, 2:54 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Friday, March 20, 2009
Developers emerge for new San Francisco housing
San Francisco Business Times - by J.K. Dineen

The deep freeze that has halted all stages of housing development across San Francisco for more than a year is showing signs of thawing, as residential builders push new projects in Rincon Hill, the Dogpatch and South of Market.

On Rincon Hill, the Emerald Fund is proposing to build 308 units at 333 Harrison St., a project that would include two neighborhood parks. At 430 Main St. and 429 Beale St., a narrow lot sandwiched between the Baycrest condos and a Caltrans yard, Portland-Pacific is proposing to build 113 apartments. The Martin Building Co., meanwhile, is scrambling to put together financing to go forward on two apartment complexes: 179 units at 2235 Third St. and 85 units at 178 Townsend St.

While developers are by nature optimists, the increase in entitlement activity does not seem to be a reflection of a recovering real estate market. Data shows that absorption of housing is still way down, inventory continues to rise and demand is tepid. Inventory of active residential listings on the market in San Francisco (condos, single-family homes and tenancy-in-common units) is 80 percent higher than it was in 2006 and 24 percent higher than a year ago, according to an analysis by the online real estate publication Socketsite. On the demand side, volume is off 20 percent on a year-over-year basis, Socketsite said.

Instead, the flurry of entitlement activity is an effort to get projects lined up to take advantage of the next cycle, when it does arrive. And unlike the crop of glassy deluxe condos built between 2005 through 2007 — each one touted as more luxurious than the last — the new projects tend to be more modest, mid-rise buildings with creative financing, using a combination of public and private money. Deluxe highrise condos like the second phase of One Rincon Hill and Turnberry Tower at 45 Lansing St. are unlikely to begin until prices start climbing again.

“People are working very hard to get things entitled so when the recovery comes they can start construction,” said Oz Erickson of Emerald Fund.

For 333 Harrison, Erickson said his firm has applied for grant money from Proposition 1C, a state bond measure designed to stimulate transit-oriented housing. The bond money would pay for 15 percent of the project costs — enough to fund the two parks and infrastructure for the project. If the grant comes through, 30 percent of the housing units would be far below market rate, and no city money would be needed, Erickson said.

The site Emerald Fund has under contract at 333 Harrison is owned by the California Department of Transportation and is being used as a staging area for Bay Bridge construction. If Emerald Fund gets approvals and bond money, Caltrans has agreed to donate another site as a dog-friendly park on the corner of Bryant and Beale streets. Another park would be built on the Harrison Street side of the property.

“It’s not a slam dunk at all, but it would be great for the city and great for us,” said Erickson.

Martin Building Co., on the other hand, is redesigning its two entitled projects to take advantage of a Department of Housing and Urban Development funds available for rental housing. The Martin Building Co. declined to comment. The two projects are being designed by HKS.

“We are excited — it’s residential projects at a time when nobody is doing anything on the residential side,” said Brendan Dunnigan, vice president and manager of the San Francisco office of HKS.

Meanwhile, the proposed project at 430 Main St. and 429 Beale St., is causing a neighborhood controversy and is opposed by residents in the abutting 288-unit Baycrest development, according to Jamie Whitaker, vice president of the Rincon Hill Neighborhood Association and Baycrest resident. He said the Portland-Pacific project, which comes before the Planning Commission on March 26, is too close to the Baycrest. He said his building “would be looking at a big wall blocking our open space.” In a petition, he says “don’t let a selfish developer cast over 400 neighbors into darkness.”

Christopher Zupsic of Portland-Pacific said they had moved the project back three feet from the lot line out of consideration to the neighbors.

“This is a great high-density project that complies with the Rincon Hill plan approved by the city,” said Zupsic. “The neighbors were aware their views could some day be blocked, and it’s recorded in their own property deeds that the windows on that side could someday be closed in.”

The Housing Action Coalition, which advocates for transit-oriented housing development, has finally seen an influx of new projects, after canceling several of its monthly project review meetings, according to Executive Director Tim Colen.

“There was nothing new — the cupboards were bare,” said Colen. “Now we see project sponsors calling us up again. It’s evidence that people are scheming for when the credit markets unfreeze.”

jkdineen@bizjournals.com / (415) 288-4971
Source: http://sanfrancisco.bizjournals.com/...23/story1.html

Old Posted Mar 20, 2009, 6:25 PM
Green Berniecrat

Although these are just proposals at this point, it is actually exciting that some proposals are coming up even if they may not be all that of a big deal compared to some other proposals from a while back. It's always sad to hear that 45 Lansing and ORH II won't get under way for a while, but I suppose that was to be expected. Look forward to hearing more about these.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2009, 6:32 PM
BANNED

My post 2108 above contains a lot more about 430 Main/429 Beale. I have the feeling this one will only get built if severely modified the way BayCrest residents want.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2009, 11:47 PM
BANNED

Here's more about 333 Harrison:

Quote:
A Plugged-In Reader's 12 Notes On The "PC" Approved 333 Harrison

A plugged-in reader's (slightly edited) 12 notes on Emerald Fund's proposal to develop 333 Harrison Street which has been approved by San Francisco’s Planning Commission:

1. The new building will be sandwiched between Bridgeview and One Rincon.
2. Some Bridgeview owners will be adversely affected. The lower level units will lose their views as the new building will be 40 feet away.
3. The building will house rental units.
4. Rents will be expensive: from $ 3,000 to $ 3,500 per month.
5. Approximately 6-stories high.
6. The units are small, mostly one bedroom units averaging 500 square ft.
7. They will have a great public park, looks like a courtyard.

8. It will take approximately 2 years to complete.
9. One Rincon Hill is not at all affected.
10. The Metropolitan will not be affected.
11. Another nice perk: they will have a dog run (Park South below).
12. They have plans to convert them into a condo...perhaps within 15-20 years...that is what they told us. But, it is most likely much sooner than that time frame.

Source: http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2....html#comments

Old Posted Mar 21, 2009, 6:57 AM
Green Berniecrat

Nice. I like the look of this proposal. A park like that could really become a catalyst for development in a few years. The entire lowrise development almost looks like an extension of the midrises in front of ORH, entirely suitable as they add a nice touch at the foot of a tower as omnipresent as ORH I.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2009, 3:54 PM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reminiscence View Post
Nice. I like the look of this proposal. A park like that could really become a catalyst for development in a few years. The entire lowrise development almost looks like an extension of the midrises in front of ORH, entirely suitable as they add a nice touch at the foot of a tower as omnipresent as ORH I.
I couldn't imagine living in it though, especially at those prices for what you would get. What's the point of being surrounded by massive amounts of traffic while hemmed in among highrises with no view? The air quality and noise outside will both be bad. Don't get me wrong, it will be a nice green addition to the neighborhood, but it seems to me that it will benefit those in the surrounding towers more than anyone who would actually be living there.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2009, 3:58 PM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTinSF View Post
My post 2108 above contains a lot more about 430 Main/429 Beale. I have the feeling this one will only get built if severely modified the way BayCrest residents want.
I agree with your previous post BT--this project as currently planned will severely diminish the quality of life and investments for BayCrest owners and residents. Not all development is good development and the planning for Rincon Hill should be followed faithfully.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2009, 8:38 PM
Green Berniecrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewguysf View Post
I couldn't imagine living in it though, especially at those prices for what you would get. What's the point of being surrounded by massive amounts of traffic while hemmed in among highrises with no view? The air quality and noise outside will both be bad. Don't get me wrong, it will be a nice green addition to the neighborhood, but it seems to me that it will benefit those in the surrounding towers more than anyone who would actually be living there.
Oh I couldn't imagine living in it either, especially with my situation for many years to come. Your latter point is sort of what I was getting at. It serves more as a nice touch to the area rather than a good place to live in. Of course, I'm sure they have some way to remedy the noise and pollution issue.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2009, 6:10 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Friday, March 27, 2009
Developer pushes new waterfront housing design
San Francisco Business Times - by J.K. Dineen

Battling fierce and well-organized opposition, developers have spent a decade trying to build housing across from the Ferry Building on the site of the Golden Gateway Tennis & Swim Club.

It’s been like hitting a tennis ball against a wall: No matter how well the ball is hit, it always comes back just as hard.

Now with a new design from Skidmore Owings & Merrill, the property’s latest developer, San Francisco Waterfront Partners, is betting that a combination of 28,000 square feet of public green space and much needed public parking will prevail over the opposition from 1,600 passionate club members and some residents.

The latest proposal combines the club and the port-owned Seawall Lot 351, giving SFWP room to build between 140 and 170 housing units as well as a fairly large park with a restaurant and café. Tennis would be scaled back from nine to four courts and the swimming pools would be moved on top of a building occupied by both the restaurant and club facility.

The café and restaurant would be operated by Gar and Lara Truppelli, owners of San Francisco’s Beach Chalet Brewery & Restaurant, Park Chalet Garden Restaurant and a new Lake Chalet on Lake Merritt in Oakland, which is currently under construction. Berkeley-based landscape architect Peter Walker and Partners is designing the park. The condo portion of the project is half the land and the other half of the land is public benefits, according to the developer.

A new design by SOM’s Craig Hartman features two French limestone “maisonettes” that are 84 feet tall and step down to seven stories along the Embarcadero. The building design has deeply recessed windows with teak trim and french balconies.

Hartman argues that the tennis club was an acceptable use as long as it sat in the shadow of the elevated Embarcadero freeway, which was torn down 20 years ago. But with the waterfront now opened up, a private club with an opaque, green, 16-foot-high fence no longer makes sense.

“What we have today is one of the most important civic boulevards in the country, an extraordinary waterfront edge,” said Hartman. “When you think of great civic urban boulevards you don’t think of surface parking lots or private tennis clubs.”

On Feb. 23, SFWP entered into exclusive negotiations agreement with the Port of San Francisco on the project. The proposal is scheduled to go before the Port Commission in October after a study on development along the northern waterfront initiated by Board of Supervisors President David Chiu. Development along the waterfront has long been a contentious issue, often pitting the Port against various neighborhood groups.

SFWP partner Alicia Esterkamp says the waterfront is of interest to all Bay Area residents — not just club members and immediate neighbors. “We thought that it would be better to serve the public rather than private tennis club members,” she said. “I believe that we can ultimately get the majority of the community to be supportive of the project. This is a civic place and not just a little neighborhood site.”

But the new proposal is not winning friends among club members and some local residents. Friends of the Golden Gateway, which includes residents of the 1,284-unit Golden Gateway Center apartments, as well as members of the 1,600-member club, note that the basketball court and lawn — both important part of the clubs multiple summer camps and youth programs — would disappear.

Lee Radner, president of Friends of Golden Gateway, said the tennis and swim club draws hundreds of retirees from the apartment buildings across the street. The club also serves as a training venue for the Special Olympics and inner city tennis program Youth Tennis Advantage.

FOGG attorney Sue Hester said the fight should not be characterized as a choice between a “private” club versus public green space and housing.

“The YMCA is private too,” said Hester. “This is not an elite club. It is not the Bohemian Club. It is not the Olympic Club. There are no heavy dues and no screening to get into it.”

The project has become a top priority for the San Francisco Housing Action Coalition, which advocates for transit oriented housing development.

“It’s one project after another those neighbors have shot down,” said Tim Colen, the nonprofit’s executive director. “Enough is enough. They don’t get to stop everything.”

jkdineen@bizjournals.com / (415) 288-4971
Source: http://sanfrancisco.bizjournals.com/...30/story7.html

I think this proves Sue Hestor is against anything and everything new, even when nobody without a self-interest can argue that what's old is better.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2009, 8:17 PM
Green Berniecrat

I was wondering what had happened to Sue Hestor. I guess with all the decline in proposals getting serious consideration, there's not much reason to hear from her. I think the last quote by Tim Colen pretty much sums it up. I'm excited to see SOM designed the building, and I also think Craig Hartman proves a valid point.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2009, 10:00 PM

THE ARGENTA - POLK/MARKET
I took a tour of several apartments at the Argenta today. As the building was built for the condo market, now rental, the quality of the apartments is first class. Hall doors are in a beautiful veneer inside and out. Each unit has white stone at the door. Kitchens are very large with high quality cabinets. Bathrooms are very large with white marble counters. I saw units on the 12th and 17th floors and the views were mostly good - the view of City Hall at night must be spectacular. The smaller bedrooms had frosted glass sliding doors to seperate from the living rooms. Nice carpets for walnut floors.

The rental agent says that 27 units have been rented and they have not advertised yet!

Old Posted Mar 30, 2009, 5:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry of San Fran View Post
The rental agent says that 27 units have been rented and they have not advertised yet!
Are these 27 units the BMR units?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations