HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Jan 31, 2009, 5:58 AM
Meh

I really like this tower. Not sure about the location, but the design is great.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2009, 2:38 AM
Only Mostly Dead

It gets a lot of grief, but overall I like it too. It will look a lot better when other buildings have filled in around it someday. I can't argue with the complaint that it looks out of place way over there by itself.

Meanwhile, the townhouses are basically done from outside:

The detailing looks very nice:

I took a shot of the landscaping above the wall, which has really been filled in, but it's totally out of focus. I'll shoot a new one next time.

Is it time this moved to the completed projects folder?

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Feb 7, 2009, 5:39 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I really like this tower. Not sure about the location, but the design is great.
I like it too. But I wonder what you concern about the location is.

I have a concern as a potential buyer: It's on the summit of a significant hill. What that means to those of us of a certain age and out of shape condition is that if we go out for a walk or walk to the financial or shopping districts--only 4 or so downhill blocks away--when we return we would have to huff up that hill. I can tell you that when I bought the condo I own that was a significant consideration because I was staying with a friend who also lived on a hill (on Grandview for locals) and I found that climb at the end of a tiring day rather intimidating (and I was 25 years younger then).

On the other hand, I like its location on the skyline. It is supposed to eventually be part of cluster of highrises (and we can hope that one or two of them might get built in the next few years) and that cluster will nicely balance San Francisco's skyline as seen from the Bay. In this sense, the hilltop location is a postive in 2 ways: For those of us who like tall buildings, it ads nearly 100 feet to the apparent height; to the city planners, tall buildings belong on top of hills to emphasize rather than minimize the city's hilly geography.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2009, 7:04 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTinSF View Post
I like it too. But I wonder what you concern about the location is.

I have a concern as a potential buyer: It's on the summit of a significant hill. What that means to those of us of a certain age and out of shape condition is that if we go out for a walk or walk to the financial or shopping districts--only 4 or so downhill blocks away--when we return we would have to huff up that hill. I can tell you that when I bought the condo I own that was a significant consideration because I was staying with a friend who also lived on a hill (on Grandview for locals) and I found that climb at the end of a tiring day rather intimidating (and I was 25 years younger then).
Despite the views and everything, I'm quite surprised that you would want to move to that inconvenient neighborhood. What's the point when you're only here half of the year? As a symphony subscriber and semi-frequent attendee of other Civic Center performances and events, I would relish the chance to be able to walk there if I didn't live where I do now. I've definitely thought about the challenges of living up here when I get older though.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2009, 8:29 AM
Surrounded by Nature

In the meantime, I'll just sit up here and look at it through all kinds of weather and conditions. Sometimes the buildings actually look like models.

OK guys, I need a better camera and a tripod, but you get the picture.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2009, 8:44 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Damn...

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Feb 7, 2009, 6:54 PM
Sonoma Strong

swweeeet

the white grid pattern compliments the bridge somehow

Pictures of Santa Rosa, So. Co.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2009, 7:20 PM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbay420 View Post
swweeeet

the white grid pattern compliments the bridge somehow
Although it doesn't show it in any of the above pics, in certain light the white grid pattern tends to mirror the vertical cables on the bridge. I noticed it when they first started putting the skin on the tower and thought that it was cool.

Last edited by viewguysf; Feb 7, 2009 at 8:42 PM.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2009, 8:30 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewguysf View Post
Despite the views and everything, I'm quite surprised that you would want to move to that inconvenient neighborhood. What's the point when you're only here half of the year? As a symphony subscriber and semi-frequent attendee of other Civic Center performances and events, I would relish the chance to be able to walk there if I didn't live where I do now. I've definitely thought about the challenges of living up here when I get older though.
I didn't mean to suggest I actually have any plan to. I don't. I meant that I'm part of the target market, I think, but not actually planning to move. Although it has crossed my mind. My current place has 2 floors with narrow, fairly steep stairs between the floors. Eventually, that could be a problem and it has occurred to me that if mortgage rates were to get really, really low in this economic cycle--say 3.5%--it might be a time to move to something on only 1 floor. But one other obstacle is Prop.13. I'm currently paying taxes based on 1982 values (plus the allowable increases). If I moved, even to a smaller place, my taxes would at least double.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2009, 8:38 PM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTinSF View Post
I didn't mean to suggest I actually have any plan to. I don't. I meant that I'm part of the target market, I think, but not actually planning to move. Although it has crossed my mind. My current place has 2 floors with narrow, fairly steep stairs between the floors. Eventually, that could be a problem and it has occurred to me that if mortgage rates were to get really, really low in this economic cycle--say 3.5%--it might be a time to move to something on only 1 floor. But one other obstacle is Prop.13. I'm currently paying taxes based on 1982 values (plus the allowable increases). If I moved, even to a smaller place, my taxes would at least double.
You have the same style of townhouse as my friends, so I'm very familiar with it. The rooms are small too. We're all stuck in place by Prop. 13 unless we radically move out of the City or area, and I'm not up for that yet!

In the meantime, we can appreciate ORH from a distance with the City's ever changing light and atmosphere.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2009, 8:29 AM
Green Berniecrat

You need a better camera and tripod? No way. Those pictures are beautiful. They're much better than any I've ever taken. You really do have a great vantage point.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2009, 5:51 PM
Only Mostly Dead

The tripod would be nice for night shots, but yeah, your camera is fine. These shots are great!

Old Posted Feb 8, 2009, 6:55 PM
Ex Houstonian

This tower looks a hell of a lot taller than 640 ft. It looks like an 800 footer. Maybe its just because all of the surrounding buildings are low rises. It looks great though.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2009, 6:58 PM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by photolitherland View Post
This tower looks a hell of a lot taller than 640 ft. It looks like an 800 footer. Maybe its just because all of the surrounding buildings are low rises. It looks great though.
It's built on top of Rincon Hill, which adds approximately 100' of height.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2009, 11:23 PM

was able to swing by one rincon hill

view from a friend's house. victorian houses with the SF skyline in the background.

green weather beacon from street level.

kinda cool that there is a fireplace in the middle of the infinity edge.

yes was windy that day. the glass panel around the pool didnt help as you can still see from the number of waves.

san francisco night skyline from treasure island. you can still see fainted green beacon on top of one ricon hill.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2009, 12:28 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Cool (and huge) shots! If you had been out on TI a couple of weeks ago you would have caught the Ferry Building and Coit Tower lit up in green as well. Those and City Hall were decorated in honor of the return of Wicked.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2009, 8:38 PM
North Beach

Old Posted Apr 19, 2009, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtown Dave View Post
That's a gorgeous shot! Thanks...

In the meantime, it's in the news:

City fees for One Rincon unlikely to be paid

The developer of the new condominium tower that dominates San Francisco's southern skyline has told The Chronicle that he does not plan to pay the $5 million in fees that were central to obtaining city approval to build the high-rise.

Contniue reading at:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...MNPR172H6J.DTL

Old Posted Apr 21, 2009, 5:21 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Michael Kriozere (ORH) Responds: We're Planning On Paying Damn It!

From Michael Kriozere in response to the Chronicle's "he ain't planning to pay" piece:

While it is unfortunate that my discussion with the San Francisco Chronicle was taken out of context and thus reflected inaccuracies, it does provide me with an opportunity to share what has been and continues to be our commitment to both the project and the City. As such, I share the following.
Not only is One Rincon Hill more than 70% sold*, but sales once again are brisk; in fact, sales traffic has been above the pre-crash level (60-100 tours) every week in 2009. We are pleased to report that we have almost fully paid our construction lender and contractors, have no liens against the building and appreciate the unwavering support of our partners. We have not received any funds from the City in any aspect of the development of this project.

We have every intention to complete Tower II, but, as I said publicly months ago, we are waiting for the economy, and the residential real estate market in particular, to turn on the upswing. There is no rush to proceed at this time.

In specific response to the reporting in the San Francisco Chronicle that “he does not plan to pay the $5 million in fees that were central to obtaining city approval to build the high-rise,” this is not my plan. In fact, to date we have paid more than $16.6 million in fees:

Affordable housing in lieu fee (offsite) $11,026,146 (Dec. 2005)
S.F. public school fee $858,448 (Feb. 2006)
Rincon Hill Community Improvement fee $3,162,889 (Sept. 2006)
SOMA Stabilization Fund fee $1,268,306 (Dec. 2005 and Sept. 2006)
Total: $16,615,789

The sole remaining fee to be paid is the balance of the SOMA Stabilization Fee of $13.75 x 393,884 square feet or $5,415,905. This payment is not yet due. The payment becomes due when we obtain a final Certificate of Occupancy (which has not yet occurred); or, alternatively, we can post a letter of credit at that time to delay the payment by 6 months. In other words, we are not in default nor do we intend to be. Furthermore, the developer will not receive any distributions from the project before the SOMA Stabilization Fund fee is paid.

In my typical candor, I shared with the Chronicle the realities of today’s economy on our project – no different from what most every project is the country is experiencing. As we are in the most egregiously difficult financial environment of our times, I am realistically concerned with the burden of this fee. This was the intent of my discussion with the Chronicle, and I am disappointed it was not more clear. That said, we plan to pay the fees when due and proceed onto Tower II of this project which will provide a very singular living experience in a world class city.

Thank you for this opportunity to update our project and our vision.
Michael Kriozere

*Officially 72% of the 376 tower one condos are now either closed or in contract, but just under 70% if you include the 14 townhomes. And while this doesn't materially change our accounting with respect to net-new contracts since October, we will publish a more complete sales breakdown tomorrow.
Source: http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2....html#comments

Old Posted Apr 24, 2009, 4:14 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Now that it's done (as evidenced by the removal of all the Bovis trailers) I walked around the grounds today to get a closer look.

The townhouse patios have nice finishes:

The landscaping is also done:

Oh yeah, there's a tower here too:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive