HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Jul 21, 2006, 2:43 AM

Good thing the vote is in November, right around the start of the Kings' season. Everyone will have Kings on the brain at exactly the right time.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2006, 2:55 AM
my posse's on broadway

oops... can't link directly to poll results.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2006, 3:07 AM

Those of you who care, Vice Mayor Rob Fong is on Sports 1140 talking about the arena and taking questions.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2006, 4:17 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerDistrict
whoaaaaa.... knock on wood. you may not be too far off.

Exactly what i was thinking.

That is, questioning the average intelligence of the Sacramento electorate.

This is a great deal and the city and county have stepped up to the plate as have the Maloofs. Let's see if the voters carry it to the finish line or end up dropping the ball (as i fear and predict).

Old Posted Jul 21, 2006, 4:30 AM
Megalonorcal 11M~

Latest KCRA results

Yes 1149 53%
No 1028 47%

Old Posted Jul 21, 2006, 4:35 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

I wouldn't count on that poll. For all we know all the yes votes are from neighboring counties while all the no votes are cast from Sacramento...

Old Posted Jul 21, 2006, 4:39 AM

I'm just gonna go out on a limb here and say in november, it passes with at least 54%. Mark my words.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2006, 4:58 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon12
I'm just gonna go out on a limb here and say in november, it passes with at least 54%. Mark my words.

You don't know how much i hope that your right and that i end up wrong.

But even if the tax and advisory passes, expect a gauntlet of lawsuits challenging the legality of the tax and then they will tie it up with CEQA... Can you imagine the environemtal challenges to building in the Railyards even if there wasn't vehement opposition to the arena??????

Let's keep our fingers crossed though.....

Old Posted Jul 21, 2006, 5:12 AM
Finger Lickin' Good.

I'm right there with you Brandon.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2006, 5:17 AM

^I know where you're coming from and there is much reason to what you're saying
But my view comes from a different angle: a $500M project will steamroll environmental constraints. The full weight of the Maloofs, City, County, Stan Thomas and the Railyards, the entire business community of Sacramento (particularly the downtown district business owners, the NBA, 17,000 season ticket holders, the bee and all other local media and every other local power broker, and there will be just too much momentum to stop this. It's a done deal. Good always ultimately prevails over evil.

If anyone wants to bet me otherwise, send me a PM with your name, address, phone number and the bank in which you wish to establish an escrow account, and I will match your bet 2-1.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2006, 9:08 AM

Quote:
^I know where you're coming from and there is much reason to what you're saying
But my view comes from a different angle: a $500M project will steamroll environmental constraints. The full weight of the Maloofs, City, County, Stan Thomas and the Railyards, the entire business community of Sacramento (particularly the downtown district business owners, the NBA, 17,000 season ticket holders, the bee and all other local media and every other local power broker, and there will be just too much momentum to stop this. It's a done deal. Good always ultimately prevails over evil.

If anyone wants to bet me otherwise, send me a PM with your name, address, phone number and the bank in which you wish to establish an escrow account, and I will match your bet 2-1.
At least we know Brandon will probably keep his word if he loses(which he won't!)

Old Posted Jul 21, 2006, 9:43 AM

I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet. But, if the arena becomes reality(which I firmly believe it will) does this now mean that the Railyards project, at least in some form, will become reality too? If this is true, this arena deal has a LOT of good things that go with it!!!

Old Posted Jul 21, 2006, 3:09 PM

^that's a good point. The arena will force the railyards to be developed probably a year or two ealier than it would otherwise. I can't see people hiking through weeds and dirt piles on their way from the intermodal station to the arena. Once the arena deal passes, there will be a (relative) rush to prepare and develop the areas between the train station and the arena. It's reasonable to expect that the arena and it the other development I'm talking about would both be ready by 2010.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2006, 3:17 PM
Repeat!

How far is the light rail extension going to be from the proposed site for the new arena?

Old Posted Jul 21, 2006, 3:23 PM
Kodachrome

Several blocks... at the workshop it looked to be about four blocks. Several
people complained about that and I hope it was dully noted by those putting this together.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2006, 3:27 PM

^that's a good question. Currently they are making the lightrail line run about 20 feet from the Amtrak lines at the boarding area. Very convenient for now. But the plan is to move the train station North several hundred feet and at the same time straighten the curve in the existing rail lines so that they're moved several hundred feet as well. I would certainly hope (and I assume) they will redirect the light rail line to match the UP track alignment. If that's the case, then I think the new light rail line would be 3 or 4 hundred feet from the arena. Which isn't perfect. Elderly people and the disabled may have a difficult time. THey will probably have some kind of shuttle running back and forth?

Old Posted Jul 21, 2006, 3:30 PM
Repeat!

Four blocks isn't that bad, but then again I know a lot of people who would complain about walking a distance like that. In San Diego I heard people complain about the trolley being too far away from Petco Park even though it was a 3-minute walk.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2006, 6:00 PM

Quote:
^that's a good question. Currently they are making the lightrail line run about 20 feet from the Amtrak lines at the boarding area. Very convenient for now. But the plan is to move the train station North several hundred feet and at the same time straighten the curve in the existing rail lines so that they're moved several hundred feet as well. I would certainly hope (and I assume) they will redirect the light rail line to match the UP track alignment. If that's the case, then I think the new light rail line would be 3 or 4 hundred feet from the arena. Which isn't perfect. Elderly people and the disabled may have a difficult time. THey will probably have some kind of shuttle running back and forth?
True...but how far are parking spaces from Arco right now?

Old Posted Jul 21, 2006, 6:01 PM

Good article that breaks things out. The more I look at the deal, I think the city did really well.

It's a deal: Arena could rise in railyard by 2008 if voters approve

http://sacramento.bizjournals.com/sa...ml?jst=b_ln_hl

After years of false starts and stumbles, officials from the City of Sacramento and Sacramento County have reached agreement with the owners of the Sacramento Kings on a proposal for a new sports and entertainment arena. County officials next week will consider whether to ask the public to approve a 15-year sales tax that would help pay for the $470-million-plus arena. The basketball team's owners committed to a 30-year lease and payments totaling hundreds of millions.

Negotiators for the local governments and Maloof Sports & Entertainment struck the deal at 9:21 a.m. Thursday, the last day for an agreement that would allow the parties to get the tax question on the ballot this year.

City and county officials who were involved in the negotiations laid out the broad outlines at a news conference Thursday afternoon. County Supervisor Roger Dickinson said an arena in the railyard would "provide a crucial kick-start or catalyst to redevelopment," and that public financing was appropriate because a first-class, modern sports and entertainment complex is "important to the kind and character" of the Greater Sacramento community for the future.

Darrell Steinberg, a former Assembly member who represented the Maloof family in negotiations, said the Maloofs "are absolutely thrilled with this outcome." Public officials, he said, drove a "justifiably hard bargain" but the end result was a fair agreement.

The Sacramento County Board of Supervisors on Tuesday will consider whether to put the proposed sales tax on the November ballot. The quarter-cent general sales tax, if approved by a majority of voters, would expire after 15 years and raise an estimated $1.2 billion over that span. Dickinson said that works out to "less than $5 per month for the average person."

At least half that money would be made available to the cities and county governments for public projects and improvements such as transportation projects or libraries. The remainder would go toward the arena, which has an estimated cost of $470 million to $540 million.

If voters approve, Dickinson said in an interview, construction of a new arena could begin in summer 2008 and finish by autumn 2010.

Then Arco Arena would be razed. The Maloofs would be able to sell the land and use the proceeds toward paying off the loan to the city. The 85 acres occupied by Arco would fetch an estimated $40 million to $45 million, Dickinson said. That land would be rezoned "for a better or higher use," for either commercial or residential development, he said.

Key components of the arena agreement include:

The Maloofs would pay off the Kings loan to the city for Arco Arena in its entirety; the outstanding balance is about $72 million to $73 million
The Maloofs would put up $20 million upfront in a capital reserve account for future repairs
The Maloofs would lease the building for the Kings and Monarchs for 30 years, paying a total of $122 million in rent, or an average of $4 million a year
The Maloofs would be responsible for the management and operation of the arena, at an estimated cost of $10 million to $12 million a year -- $300 million or more over the full lease term
The Maloofs contribution toward the construction of the new arena works out to roughly 26 percent for a $540 million arena, or 30 percent if the cost came in at $470 million, the lower end of the estimated range.
That's based on the $20 million upfront payment and the 30 years of rent. The percentages do not include the amount that the Maloofs would pay on the loan for Arco.

The $470 million to $540 million cost of the arena would include parking, land acquisition and infrastructure around the arena.

The private dollars being put up, Dickinson said, "meets or exceeds (the share in) each of the last four agreements" made for new sports complexes nationwide. Those deals were made in Indianapolis, Charlotte, N.C.; Memphis, Tenn.; and San Antonio, Texas.

'Other priorities'
The split of sales-tax proceeds between an arena and other unspecified public purposes could make the tax increase more palatable to voters and makes it easier to justify the use of a general-purpose tax; a special-purpose tax needs a higher vote margin for approval. The Sacramento County Taxpayers League has already questioned the propriety of a general tax.

Another group, People United for a Better Sacramento, opposes a tax for a new arena when other pressing community needs could use the scarce tax dollars.

"We recognize there certainly are other priorities," Dickinson said Thursday. At least $600 million of the money could be used for such things as transportation and libraries, he said. "It would be unencumbered legally."

Local elected officials will continue to work on improving flood protection, transportation and other community priorities, Dickinson said. "We can do those things and do this too."

"This is not really about the Maloofs. It's about us," he continued. Sacramentans, he said, deserve the best quality of life, performing artists, convention facilities and the very best in professional sports. "We believe this fits in our vision of what a great region is."

The voters, though, will have the last word, he said.

Mayor Heather Fargo said a sports and entertainment arena would "serve as a significant amenity" to the railyard and region.

Councilman Rob Fong, who helped negotiate the agreement, added: "This is a really exciting day ... I think it's a great time to be a Sacramentan."

The Maloofs, Steinberg said, are "looking forward to Sacramento being their home for the next 30 years and beyond."

Also on hand for the news conference were Matt Mahood, head of the Sacramento Metropolitan Chamber of Commerce, and Warren Smith, a founder and executive of the Sacramento River Cats baseball team. The River Cats' leadership participated in arena negotiations.

Joe Maloof, Gavin Maloof and city and county representatives were scheduled to comment further on the agreement at a news conference Friday morning at the railyard.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2006, 7:45 PM

Where's Majin been lately? I wonder what he has to say about all this development!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area