HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 16, 2012, 7:33 PM
Metal Up Your !

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakman View Post
The link below shows a rendering of the renovated 680 Folsom:
http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2...lly_begin.html

(If the posted link does not show an accurate rendering, then someone please correct me. It is most likely posted on some previous page however I am feeling a bit lazy today thanks in part of a co-worker who has turned the office into Carribean type temperatures.)
Holy crap, the renovation is going to make it look like a completely new building!

2558 looks sweet. Retro, with the colors and everything!

Old Posted Jan 16, 2012, 7:57 PM
Only Mostly Dead

^Yep, it's going to look so much better. And to answer shakman, as far as I know that's still the current rendering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbm View Post
Anyway, happy to report that cement has recently been poured at 8th and mission, probably 20-25 ft below ground level. Looks like that might start rising soon.
Welcome to SSP and thanks for the update on Trinity, which has its own thread, btw.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Jan 16, 2012, 9:35 PM

Wow, no kidding that is one hell of a renovation!

Are they demoing a few buildings to make 2558 Mission fit?
Edit: Just looked on street view and saw that they will just demo the Giant Value store.
Cery happy to see them leave the New Mission sign...call me crazy but I like it unpainted like it is now, wouldn't mind if they left it that way.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2012, 4:47 AM

Any timetable for 2558 Mission?
The announcement for the project came a long time ago, but I had never seen renderings for it. Has there been some movement?

Old Posted Jan 18, 2012, 2:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hruski View Post
Any timetable for 2558 Mission?
The announcement for the project came a long time ago, but I had never seen renderings for it. Has there been some movement?
This is the last sign of progress I read about.

Edit: Also, found this blurb.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2012, 3:27 AM

The View, a 16 story residential tower near Candlestick, seems to be moving forward on some level -- at least according to this site:

http://www.buildgc.com/projects/resi...ed-theview.php

I found these:

Source: http://www.ltcdesigngroup.com/

Source: http://www.ltcdesigngroup.com/

Does anyone have any more info?

Old Posted Jan 18, 2012, 6:36 PM
Only Mostly Dead

1977 - You're on a roll with finding renderings, thanks a lot! I hope that Mission project happens. Tough sledding in that neighborhood, though. I like the look of that Candlestick project too. It somehow fits the location well. Speaking of location: I can't imagine wanting to live there, yet they're building housing all over that side of the hill. It does have water views, and perhaps wind-surfers like it?

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 5:04 PM

I never thought I'd see the day:

Quote:
Construction has commenced at the corner of Market, Noe, and 16th streets. Known as the "Hole in the Ground" for the past three decades following the fiery demise of the church that once occupied the site, as plugged-in people know, it’s a five-story building with 18 residential units over ground floor retail that’s being built
Source: http://www.socketsite.com

Source: http://www.socketsite.com

Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
1977 - You're on a roll with finding renderings, thanks a lot! I hope that Mission project happens. Tough sledding in that neighborhood, though. I like the look of that Candlestick project too. It somehow fits the location well. Speaking of location: I can't imagine wanting to live there, yet they're building housing all over that side of the hill. It does have water views, and perhaps wind-surfers like it?
Yeah, it's not really an ideal location -- Maybe affordability is part of its allure?

Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 11:38 PM

Hole in the ground

[QUOTE=1977;5556113]I never thought I'd see the day:

Thanks for the scoop 1977. A miracle! Amen peanut gallery, I too did not think I'd live long enough to see this horrible blight erased. I think it will make a difference in the neightborhood by bringing together both sides of the street. When built my blood pressure will be lower when I pass the site.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2012, 6:42 AM
Surrounded by Nature

[QUOTE=Jerry of San Fran;5556783]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1977 View Post
I never thought I'd see the day:

Thanks for the scoop 1977. A miracle! Amen peanut gallery, I too did not think I'd live long enough to see this horrible blight erased. I think it will make a difference in the neightborhood by bringing together both sides of the street. When built my blood pressure will be lower when I pass the site.
I well remember the strange buff colored brick church that used to be there ions ago--I understand how it happened, but it was totally bizzare for such a prime location to be a hole in the ground for so many years in San Francisco's Castro District. Good riddance!

To add my voice to a unanomous opinion here, I couldn't imagine living at Candlestick Point either, no matter how nice the unit.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2012, 5:17 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Also under construction: Dolores and 15th. Back in the early 1990s, I was told it was a church that had burned down (started by homeless, one of whom died) and it has remained a vacant lot 10 months of the year (Christmas tree lot the other two) . It's on my block. The excavation work is shaking the entire block like a minor earthquake, over and over--it's quite jarring. But I'm happy to see this project finally proceed, as my old firm handled the permitting. When the weather improves I'll take some pics.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2012, 5:33 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by fflint View Post
Also under construction: Dolores and 15th. Back in the early 1990s, I was told it was a church that had burned down (started by homeless, one of whom died) and it has remained a vacant lot 10 months of the year (Christmas tree lot the other two) . It's on my block. The excavation work is shaking the entire block like a minor earthquake, over and over--it's quite jarring. But I'm happy to see this project finally proceed, as my old firm handled the permitting. When the weather improves I'll take some pics.
A similar, but shorter, situation existed with that lot as with the hole in the ground at Market and Noe where Methodist Church used to be. Yours was one of the original ethnic Lutheran churches in the area. I remember both churches and both fires--both wanted to rebuild but it never happened since the majority of people in the area don't care about religion any more, myself included.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2012, 4:46 PM

Thanks for sharing the info and images on the 16-story tower at Candlestick 1977. Here is a little reminder image of the plan for Executive Park.

David Baker + Partners just put up a project they have "on the boards" for the nearby Sunnydale Hope development.
http://www.dbarchitect.com/project_d...20Housing.html

Is there much happening at the Schlage Lock Site?

BTW....if anyone is interested, here is the Draft Specific Plan from Feb 2011 for the Brisbane Baylands Development just south of Candlestick.

http://www.brisbanebaylands.com/pdf/...Feb%202011.pdf

Here is a sampling of the images from that document.

Last edited by San Frangelino; Jan 21, 2012 at 6:19 PM.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2012, 6:00 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Here's an interesting story about some FiDi buildings trying to mimic the feel of your typical open, raw SOMA space to capitalize on the high demand in SOMA. Perhaps the respective owners of 535 and 350 Mission (and other proposals in the area) can take advantage of this limited vacancy and sign some tenants that might otherwise be looking for space a little further south.

Quote:
Financial District losing to SoMa as destination
By: Sarah Gantz | 01/22/12 4:00 AM
SF Examiner Staff

As surging demand from technology companies propels rents skyward and vacancy rates lower in the South of Market Area, the neighborhood is reaching its limits and prospective tenants are looking to the once-uncool Financial District.

And Financial District property owners — who suddenly can’t attract rental rates as high as those in SoMa — have taken note of the type of office space popular among tech firms.

So they are ripping out their carpets, ceiling tiles, cubicles and private offices and replacing them with sealed concrete floors, high ceilings with exposed air ducts and lots of open space.

“A lot of these new workers don’t want to go into an office their dad used to work in — they want a cool space,” said Charlie Withers, vice president of The CAC Group, a brokerage firm that studies commercial real estate trends.
Read more at the San Francisco Examiner

BTW, I'm so not like the cool workers mentioned here. My favorite part of working in the Financial District is that the environment is just like my father's and grandfather's generations worked in. I'm kind of old fashioned that way.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2012, 2:23 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

^They really wanted to build 535 Mish--but they couldn't get financing, which is also the story for other pending projects. Maybe the SOMA situation will change the lenders' minds?

Old Posted Jan 31, 2012, 2:39 AM

Good news for the Mexican Museum and 706 Mission:

Quote:
San Francisco's Mexican Museum has joined the Smithsonian Institution orbit.

It is the only San Francisco museum to be named an affiliate of the Smithsonian, which is based in Washington, D.C., and is the largest museum in the world. By virtue of that collection, the Mexican Museum will be able to access the Smithsonian collections for future exhibits and on a long-term basis.
The announcement will be made public at a Jan. 31 press conference at the current Mexican Museum location at Fort Mason. Harold Closter, Smithsonian affiliation director, will be at the event to present the Mexican Museum with its certificate of affiliation.
The new relationship is a welcome development for the Mexican Museum, which has long been delayed in its plans to open a new museum in the Yerba Buena cultural district south of Market Street.
That dream of a new museum home is getting closer to realization. It will become part of Millennium Partners' mixed-use plan for 706 Mission St. In October, the Mexican Museum won an $800,000 grant from the California Cultural and Historical Endowment for planning and design.
Source and the rest of the article:

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranci...ithsonian.html

Old Posted Jan 31, 2012, 2:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fflint View Post
^They really wanted to build 535 Mish--but they couldn't get financing, which is also the story for other pending projects. Maybe the SOMA situation will change the lenders' minds?
Hopefully, so! It seems like we're pretty close to justifying some new office construction. I guess we have 680 Folsom under construction, as well as a few other smaller projects, but it'd be great to see a new tower break ground this year -- preferably, 350 or 535 Mission.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2012, 6:40 PM
Only Mostly Dead

fflint - I certainly hope so! I wonder what the vacancy is at 555 Mission. If they've filled most of that, it could also look good to lenders since that was built on spec (though a few years ago now) and is right next door.

1977 - in the case of 535, technically they don't even need to "break" ground, just scoop up a bunch of rocks! That is really great news for the museum. Imagine the variety of exhibits they'll have access to with that relationship. Also, don't forget that 706 Mission has a thread if you want to post that bit of good news over there too.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2012, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
1977 - in the case of 535, technically they don't even need to "break" ground, just scoop up a bunch of rocks! That is really great news for the museum. Imagine the variety of exhibits they'll have access to with that relationship. Also, don't forget that 706 Mission has a thread if you want to post that bit of good news over there too.
I guess I put the article in this thread cuz it was more about the museum. I'll throw it over there as well.

535...Yes, that should make for a quick rise!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations